Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Camping at Disney World
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2013, 07:40 PM   #1
Disney Fan Katt
Founding member of the Mickey Moms Club

I've been spoiled by the Fort, need help with Hershey Park

We are absolutely in love with camping at Ft. Wilderness and are afraid to try new campgrounds without suggestions from our Disboard cohorts. Does anyone have any insight as to where to camp in the Hershey, PA area?

Only one more year until we are back at Disney to camp. I am counting the days.

December 2012 Ft. Wilderness*January 19-28 CBR and AKL*January 2011 Beach Club Concierge*February 2010 Coronado Springs*November 2009 CBR*February 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge and Polynesian * April 2008 Wilderness Lodge * November 2007 Polynesian
January 2007 Wilderness Lodge * February 2004 Wilderness Lodge * April 2003 Wilderness Lodge* February 2002 Animal Kingdom Concierge * Numerous off property stays since 1976
Disney Fan Katt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:11 PM   #2
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Fan Katt View Post
We are absolutely in love with camping at Ft. Wilderness and are afraid to try new campgrounds without suggestions from our Disboard cohorts. Does anyone have any insight as to where to camp in the Hershey, PA area?

Only one more year until we are back at Disney to camp. I am counting the days.
We have gone to Hershey Park a few times over the years and have always just stayed at the campground there at Hersheys. It's so convenient to just take a tram/bus (can't remember which) across the road to the park.
North of Mouse is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-06-2013, 07:15 AM   #3
double r
Mouseketeer

The campground for Hershey Park is Highmeadows a short ride from the park, they do offer a shuttle bus to the park. it's a nice place( not the Fort), some sites are close together, I would ask for the ones near the stream. Oh and lots of folks complain about the noise from the freight trains, yes they are loud and often but I'm a train guy so they do not bother me.
There is also a few KOA that are a short drive away you might wany to check out also.
double r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:54 AM   #4
WDWCP96
DIS Veteran

We stayed at Hershey Highmeadow in our pop up. We had a site unfortunately up on a hill that was near the train tracks (cabins were below us). It was very loud and shook when a train would go by. The site was small.

If we had been placed anywhere else maybe I would want to go back but if we were to camp there again (we won't as IL's only live 10 minutes away) I would try the KOA instead. The only benefit I saw to the Hershey campground was the shuttle bus to the park but we wouldn't use it because it is too hard to bring a much needed stroller on it.

Fall 1996-College Program,1997-1998-Seasonal Employee, April 1999-Off-site, July 2002-Off-site and Disney Cruise,May 2008-Off-site,May 2009-All-Star Movies,October 2010-DVC owners first stay at BLT, June 2011-Boardwalk Villas/Old Key WestNov. 2012-AKL/BLT, June/July 2013-Fort Wildernesss campground/VWL, June/July 2014-POP Century/Fort Wilderness Campground/POR-Royal Room
WDWCP96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:00 AM   #5
Disney Fan Katt

Thank you so much! I knew I could get the information that I needed for this trip. In fact, after reading your replies, we have decided to go to Colonial Williamsburg instead. Part of our vacation experience is more about getting away and enjoying our campground/resort and not about the actual theme park.

Now if I can only decide between American Heritage and the KOA down there.

I just love the Disboards!

December 2012 Ft. Wilderness*January 19-28 CBR and AKL*January 2011 Beach Club Concierge*February 2010 Coronado Springs*November 2009 CBR*February 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge and Polynesian * April 2008 Wilderness Lodge * November 2007 Polynesian
January 2007 Wilderness Lodge * February 2004 Wilderness Lodge * April 2003 Wilderness Lodge* February 2002 Animal Kingdom Concierge * Numerous off property stays since 1976
Old 04-08-2013, 09:15 AM   #6
Disney Bunny
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Fan Katt View Post
Thank you so much! I knew I could get the information that I needed for this trip. In fact, after reading your replies, we have decided to go to Colonial Williamsburg instead. Part of our vacation experience is more about getting away and enjoying our campground/resort and not about the actual theme park.

Now if I can only decide between American Heritage and the KOA down there.

I just love the Disboards!
We live about an hour from Colonial Williamsburg and have stayed at both the KOA and American Heritage. I recommend American Heritage over the KOA. We just thought it was a little bit better kept up.

Me and DH
Disney Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:08 AM   #7
Disney Fan Katt

Thank you! We booked American Heritage.

I was also able to convince my husband to drive back down to Fort Widerness next April for a week. I am more excited about that.

Old 04-09-2013, 05:03 PM   #8
Candikayne
Missing the House of Mouse!

I have posted a mini trip report on my stay at Hershey highmeadow last year. I will attach the thread for you later. I am not sure how to attach threads using the mobile app. I really enjoyed my stay at Hershey and I am returning in Aug 2013.
2003 - Polynesian Resort
2007 & 2008 - Caribbean Beach Resort - Pirate & Princess Party and Flower & Garden Festival
2009 - Saratoga Springs Resort - Flower and Garden
2011 - Magic Kingdom, Islands of Adventure, Universal Studios, Sea World & Aquatica
Candikayne is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: