Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 12:43 PM   #1
boxer
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Need Opinions on Renting DVC Points-vs-Waiting on Discounts

Been on many trips to WDW, and thinking about doing something different this time. We are thinking about renting DVC points from a supplier on the DIS, and wondered about the following:

-The pricing seems good for renting the points, especially given the location of some of the resorts. The question is do you risk buying 'now', and give up any possible WDW offers that come the time of year we are planning to go (Late Oct/Early Nov)?

-What are the pro's and con's of renting DVC points, and basically putting the vacation together yourself (since we will not go with a package like we've done in the past)?

-Seems like I can get the BLT for around $1800 for (9) nights, of course not including tickets/meals/etc. This is a Studio. When adding in tickets and such, I am basically coming up with $4k which still sounds reasonable given the location. Am I missing anything?

boxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:53 PM   #2
DisneyDiana
DIS Veteran

What convinced me to stop waiting for discounts and start renting was first, tiring of waiting for the discounts to come out. I priced out a vacation using regular prices for a package through Disney (room, tickets, DP, etc.). I then priced with a 30 percent room discount, and free dining. When I compared rates, renting points always came out much cheaper, by close to $1000.

I really don't think there is much extra planning to be done renting you just have to be ready to book a year in advance in order to get exactly what you want. Be prepared to pay for the room when the member makes your reservation (11mos. Ahead) and know that you will not be able to cancel so you may want to consider trip insurance. Get your tickets through Undercover Tourist, you can still get the DP if you want and the owner will book your Magical Express.
Register to remove

Old 04-02-2013, 02:21 PM   #3
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxer View Post
Been on many trips to WDW, and thinking about doing something different this time. We are thinking about renting DVC points from a supplier on the DIS, and wondered about the following:

-The pricing seems good for renting the points, especially given the location of some of the resorts. The question is do you risk buying 'now', and give up any possible WDW offers that come the time of year we are planning to go (Late Oct/Early Nov)?

-What are the pro's and con's of renting DVC points, and basically putting the vacation together yourself (since we will not go with a package like we've done in the past)?

-Seems like I can get the BLT for around $1800 for (9) nights, of course not including tickets/meals/etc. This is a Studio. When adding in tickets and such, I am basically coming up with $4k which still sounds reasonable given the location. Am I missing anything?
Waiting and hoping for discounts is what lead me to buy a couple of DVC resale contracts.

I guess you need to assess how you feel about a couple of things:
  1. Are you comfortable with tying up your money, which will most likely be non-refundable? Points cannot be banked after a certain time and last-minute cancellations place restrictions on how the points can be used, so members are not very willing to make changes or give refunds if you decide to cancel your trip.
  2. Can you plan your vacation more than 7 months in advance? DVC members can book their home resort 11 months in advance and any DVC resort 7 months in advance. As you get closer to arrival date, the more the resorts get booked up.
  3. Are you flexible with your choice of resorts and views? Some resorts are smaller and fill up quickly, so you're less likely to be able to get certain resorts at the popular DVC times (NYE, F&W, early Dec.).
  4. Are you okay with not getting daily maid service? (It's an additional charge if you want it. Otherwise, you will get fresh towels and trash service on specific days during your stay.)
  5. Will having a sofa bed instead of a second bed be a problem? Only OKW studios have 2 actual beds. All other studios include a queen-size bed and a full-size sofa bed.
  6. How comfortable are you with making your own vacation arrangements? Whoever you rent from will probably be willing to add the dining plan for you but you'll probably need to buy your own tickets and make your own ADRs. If you're flying, you'll need to book your flights but the DVC member you rent from can make the DME reservations once you have your flight numbers.

You should definitely read the **How to use this Board** on the DVC Rent/Trade Board as well as the linked posts for Potential Renters and the Point Rental Primer. It can help you decide whether renting points is a good fit for you.

Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:49 PM   #4
outahere

We're renting points for a stay at OKW this coming June. Even with the 30% discount that just came out, we're still saving almost $1000 for a 2 bedroom unit. We are renting directly from an individual and paid 1/2 when we booked with the other half due 60 days prior to the check in date. If you're comfortable with the no refund policy most owners have, you could potentially save quite a bit.

Disney Magic - April, 2004 / EB Panama Canal crossing - August, 2005 / Thanksgiving, 2006 / April, 2009 / February, 2011 / March, 2014
Disney Wonder - September, 2002 / April, 2007 / April, 2008 / Thanksgiving, 2009 / April, 2010
Disney Dream - April, 2011 / August, 2012 / February, 2014
Polynesian CL - August, 2004 / April, 2010 / August, 2010 / October, 2013
Yacht Club CL - August, 2011 / April, 2012 / August, 2012 / August, 2013 / April, 2014 / June, 2014
Grand Floridian Sugar Loaf CL - February, 2013
Wilderness Lodge CL - December, 2013
OKW - February, 2012 / June, 2013
VWL - August, 2006
WDW - offsite, more times than I can count since 1978
S/S Norway - 1984, 1985, 1991
Norwegian Pearl - Alaska - August, 2007
outahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:55 PM   #5
CupcakeKelly
This sleeve of Thin Mints IS my breakfast

I just rented DVC points directly from an owner through another board. I had originally booked a Nemo Suite at AoA for 5 nights the first week in December. I decided to rent and got a 1 BR savannah view room at AKL I only paid $150 more for the 5 nights.

Going forward I will definitely rent again, as having extra space and a full kitchen is really important to me.

2014 Reading Challenge - Goal: 25 books
Completed: 6 of 25 - #1 Uglies ~ #2 The Maze Runner ~ #3 The Scorch Trials ~ #4 Matched ~ #5 Crossed ~ #6 Reached

Currently Reading: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot
CupcakeKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:51 PM   #6
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran

For my upcoming stay I have a split booking at BWV and AKV which I made by renting points and going through two separate brokers.

I have not seen any discounts (room, dining or otherwise) announced by Disney that would have got me these resorts so cheaply. In fact, had I gone through Disney, even with a discount, my budget would only have extended as far as a moderate resort.

Obviously there are cons and risks with renting points, but I have been extremely happy with the process so far.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:46 PM   #7
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:

The BLT studio is the smallest of all the studios. Most of the space is in the bathroom, kitchenette and hallway. That leaves little for the living space where you have one queen bed and one double sleeper sofa. When the sleeper sofa is opened up, there is about a foot or less between the bed and sofa. And even less space between the sofa and the window.

With at least four in your family (from your photos), you'll want a one bedroom at least at BLT. If you really want a studio, you might fit better in the studio at VWL. More living space and less space in the bathroom, kitchenette and hallway.

And if you are looking at late Oct/early Nov, you might be too late for BLT studio with F&W festival going on. Lots of members will take BLT if they can't get BWV or BCV since they just hop the monorail. That's what we did last year. When we booked our one bedroom last year, we got a one bedroom exactly at seven months out. If we had waited a few days longer, we wouldn't have gotten it.

Cancellation is next to impossible with DVC rentals. You'll lose what you paid unless you have insurance and cancel for an acceptable reason on the policy. You never get free dining with DVC stays. You get limited housekeeping (only every four days). You get limited towels (four in a studio). Housekeepers have larger spaces to clean, so towel animals don't happen frequently at DVC resorts. You are not entitled to any DVC perks or benefits as a renter.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:35 AM   #8
heidi2858
Earning My Ears

Planning for Nov/Dec

We are also weighing our options for renting DVC vs waiting for discounts. We are looking at traveling Nov 29-Dec 6. Any advice is greatly appreciated. We are traveling with at total of 12 guests.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:09 AM   #9
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi2858 View Post
We are also weighing our options for renting DVC vs waiting for discounts. We are looking at traveling Nov 29-Dec 6. Any advice is greatly appreciated. We are traveling with at total of 12 guests.
Nov/Dec of 2013? For 12 people? That's going to be tough. Early Dec. is a very popular time period for DVC members. And you will need more than one villa unless you're lucky enough to find a Grand Villa available, as well as someone with enough points to rent to get it.

In your case, I think that you would stand a better chance with a discount code than you will with getting enough points and availability at the same resort for your dates. You'll stand a better chance of success in renting points if you choose a less-popular, larger resort and try for 2 or more villas.

Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:32 AM   #10
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi2858 View Post
Totally agree with Marionnette that you are too late for a DVC rental for Nov/Dec 2013. Especially with 12 people, unless you are planning on three studios. Even those will be hard to get unless you book SSR or OKW now. You've got Thanksgiving mixed in with an extremely busy time for DVC members.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:20 AM   #11
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Are you budgeting for standard view or lake view? If you want standard view, you MUST find someone to rent from BEFORE the 11-month window opens. There aren't many standard view studios and they go quickly, no matter what time of year. When's your trip?
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:29 PM   #12
ElizabethG
When it comes to havoc, nobody wreaks like me!

Quote:

October through the beginning of December is very popular for DVC. If you are looking for this year, BLT studios will be difficult to get. That is when I will be there too! I just checked 11/1 - 11/11. Standard view had 1 day, Lake had 1, and Theme Park had none.

Our family of 4 will be staying in a BLT studio. We haven't had a problem with the size (this will be our third time in a studio). We do put the sofabed back together during the day. It feels plenty roomy, then. Don't get me wrong, more space is fantastic, but we still feel very comfortable in a studio.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:36 PM   #13
Three cats
DIS Veteran

We rented points on our last vacation and I can honestly tell you - I did not miss the "wait and see" with Disney discounts. That said, we booked at 7 months out for the 1st week in December and the only place available was Saratoga Springs. Seeing as though it is just the two of us I figured that no matter what Disney came out with for a discount we'd still make out better financially renting points - and I was right. We did
Three cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:11 PM   #14
SumWhrOvrThRanBo
Mouseketeer

We when ahead & bit the bullet and rented points. 7 of us staying in a two bedroom at AKL-- I cannot possibly be happier!! It made so much sense for us because there are so many of us & needed a larger place. Renting for 6 nights cost us $2000-- the same room booked directly through Disney was close to $1000 a night!

Keith (daddy) Jayna (mama) Alyssa (17)
Ryan (15) Jacob (9) Nolan (7) Macy (06/15/12)
SumWhrOvrThRanBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:10 PM   #15
boxer
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post
Are you budgeting for standard view or lake view? If you want standard view, you MUST find someone to rent from BEFORE the 11-month window opens. There aren't many standard view studios and they go quickly, no matter what time of year. When's your trip?

Our trip is for early November (actually starting the last couple days of Oct). From the replies back, it sounds like we need to make our minds up ASAP if we have any hopes of getting a good resort.

boxer is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: