Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2013, 02:51 PM   #1
StephenKay
DVC Member VWL 2001

Question Email Help-Ipad/Iphone

Hi there,

Please can I ask for assistance, I want to contact my wife by email whilst crossing the atlantic in May on the EBTA and I am thinking of buying a data package with my network provider which is Vodafone uk. I know I can get a signal via GSM on the crossing, however do I need to buy a Disney wireless package also. Or can I just compose an email and then press send?

Do I need the an ipad, mini or iphone, all I want to do is to be able to compose an email over the day and then press send to enable the family and I to have some contact I DONT WANT THE FRUSTRATION OF USING THE DCL INTERNET CAFE.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:26 PM   #2
owensamo
DIS Veteran

I used DCL wifi via my iPad on the last EBTA, and it was a *pain*! Wifi speeds are slow as molasses. That said, I don't think Cellular@Sea (the phone provider on the ship) even offers a mobile data package - and their phone service is very expensive!

Your best bet would be to compose emails offline, then get online just to send them. I've actually heard the internet cafe has slightly better speeds than the wifi (they're wired, so should only be slow based on the satellite coverage - wifi may actually have additional latency due to other factors), but we had okay luck with sending homework back via email over wifi.

Your best solution would be to send emails in port - you should be able to find a wifi location in most of the ports (even if it's paid). However, that doesn't help in the long stretch of sea days!

Good luck!
Disney Magic: 7N - 1/19/08, 1/17/09, 12/19/09; 14N EBTA - 5/14/11; 12N N Europe - 7/22/15
owensamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:27 PM   #3
MikeAndNick
If you can dream it, you can do it.

When we did the East Bound Trans-Atlantic cruise my son (and others) had to do their homework every day. I got a Internet package and he used the ship computers to email his teachers every day. We picked times when other cruisers were not using the Internet to get more bandwidth and I made sure he knew what he needed to do before he connected. The connection was slow but he was able to communicate with his teachers and keep up with all of his school work.
Disney Cruise Lines: Wonder Land and Sea – Bahamas 2005, Magic Eastbound Trans Atlantic 2010, Magic Mexican Riviera Nov 20, 2011, Fantasy Western Caribbean June 23, 2012, Wonder Bahamian December 14, 2013
Princess Cruse Lines: Panama Canal 2006, San Francisco Alaska June 19, 2011, Pacific Coast Nov 24, 2013
Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2009
Carnival Cruise Lines: Encanta Mexico 2009
NCL Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2008
MikeAndNick is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: