Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2013, 11:29 AM   #1
goosedwn
Mouseketeer

Why excursion on a beach?

Can you help me understand what are the different reasons people take an excursion to spend a day at the beach while cruising? I can see if this is their only vacation of the year and they love to hang out at the beach. I really just want to know if I am missing something else from the beaches at different ports. Thanks a lot for any inputs.
goosedwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:43 AM   #2
ECH37
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by goosedwn View Post
Can you help me understand what are the different reasons people take an excursion to spend a day at the beach while cruising? I can see if this is their only vacation of the year and they love to hang out at the beach. I really just want to know if I am missing something else from the beaches at different ports. Thanks a lot for any inputs.
Because we love the beach and go whenever possible.
ECH37 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-04-2013, 11:48 AM   #3
gunka
DIS Veteran

I was born and raised in San Diego, and still think the beaches are the best attraction, especially if the water is warm and clear and the sand is white and clean. DD loves to play in the sand and water. I look forward to snorkel and see marine life that I haven't seen before. And of course to relax in a beach chair with a nice cold adult beverage and have no worries.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:51 AM   #4
Dug720
SQUIRREL!!

In my family's case we would consider it when in Nassau as we've been there before and really left nothing there we need to go back for.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:53 AM   #5
quickcat
Mouseketeer

We live in MN and have nothing close to ocean beaches. They shut down some lakes in MN because of bacteria in the summer sometimes too- yuck!!
We love the beach so we take a cruise specifically to see the different beaches
quickcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:13 PM   #6
jm106
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I have small kids and beach appeals to all of the family. Many excursions are not great for younger kids or have age limit.
We adore beautiful blue warm water, soft sand and relaxation- its part of vacation to us. We do other kinds of trips during the year so if we head to the caribbean we love to enjoy one of its best features.
At home, water temps may get to 70 if we are lucky, its a 2 hour ride in traffic, each way to get to a beach and its crowded.
And yes, many years we only get one vacation per year and if we get 2, one is a beachy location and one would be sight seeing or more action.

jm106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:27 PM   #7
lucyem
DIS Veteran

Quote:
In New England our beaches are totally different, more rocky and colder. So a Caribbean beach is a real treat. I might feel differently if I was from Florida and had access to nice beaches. It's kind of like when we see cruises going up the east coast to Maine and Nova Scotia. Why would anyone want to do that? But for some people it is very different and a neat thing to do.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:27 PM   #8
MikeAndNick
If you can dream it, you can do it.

If you live by a beach, the beach is no big deal. If you live in a place that does not have a beach, it is a big deal. Or if you are like me where we have a beach 2 hours away but it is so cold all the time that you cannot go swimming, then the warm beaches of the Caribbean is a big deal.
Disney Cruise Lines: Wonder Land and Sea – Bahamas 2005, Magic Eastbound Trans Atlantic 2010, Magic Mexican Riviera Nov 20, 2011, Fantasy Western Caribbean June 23, 2012, Wonder Bahamian December 14, 2013
Princess Cruse Lines: Panama Canal 2006, San Francisco Alaska June 19, 2011, Pacific Coast Nov 24, 2013
Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2009
Carnival Cruise Lines: Encanta Mexico 2009
NCL Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2008
MikeAndNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:29 PM   #9
jjje
One time I saw a guy wear cut-off jean shorts to dinner.

Different strokes for different folks. When you live in a land locked area where the nearest large body of water is routinely shut down because it has too much goose poop in it then a tropical beach starts to look pretty good to you.

Mom Dad and two perfectly imperfect kids Son (13) and Daughter (8)

1982-89 too many trips to Disneyland to count, 1991 Disneyland Paris, 1994 Disney World @ Beach Club, 1999 Honeymoon in Disney World @ Caribbean Beach Resort, 2001 Disney World @ All Star Music, 2004 Disney World during Hurricane Jeanne @ All Star Sports, 2005 Disney World off property, 2006 Disney World with a newborn @ All Star Movies, 2008 Disney World to celebrate surrogacy #1 @ Port Orleans French Quarter, 2010 Disneyland to celebrate surrogacy #2, 2012 Disney World @ Port Orleans Riverside to celebrate surrogacy #3, 2013 Bahamas on the Magic, 2013 Caribbean on the Wonder, 2014 Panama Canal on the Wonder

jjje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:33 PM   #10
NickyDa
Mouseketeer

We live in Fl--only 9 miles from PC--and we use beach excursions as a day to enjoy the tropical locale. Also, our youngest is not a huge fan of fish in the water so we don't want to subject her to that. Also, maybe some people are not good swimmers and may opt for a something different than swimming with dolphins or snorkeling even when vests are provided.

Premium Annual Passholders: WDW Regulars! runDisney Fanatics
(absolutely no way to list how many times we have been to WDW)

Wonder (5-night Eastern) 3/20/2015
Magic (7-night Eastern kid-free) 10/26/2014
Fantasy (7-night Western) 5/25/2013
Dream (4-night) 6/20/2012
Dream (3-night) 3/31/2011
NickyDa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:35 PM   #11
Scillycruisers
Mouseketeer

We live about 2 mins walk from the beach and my sons school is just the other side of the path to the beach, but we still love the beach excursions. The water is warm, it is a relaxing day, DS will love it and there is usually a bar with great cocktails!! It's much different from a beach at home and we go on holiday to relax as a family so it suits us fine. Perhaps when DS is a bit older we may do other things, but really if we want to see a country we would be better off staying there and touring rather than a quick stop on a cruise. But that's a different type of holiday and something we loved doing before DS came along, but things are different now and we like to just chill (in the warm)!!!
Old 04-04-2013, 01:10 PM   #12
tweis
DIS Veteran

Because we like the beach.
tweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:13 PM   #13
AquaDame
Are we there yet?

Our beach is usually too cold to run around in a swimsuit, and not a palm tree in sight. We love to snorkel, so usually go on at least one of those excursions, and then there is usually a stop at a beach as well. Different strokes for different folks. What do YOU like to do?
Old 04-04-2013, 01:19 PM   #14
quickcat
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjje View Post
Different strokes for different folks. When you live in a land locked area where the nearest large body of water is routinely shut down because it has too much goose poop in it then a tropical beach starts to look pretty good to you.
That is too funny!! But I am from MN so I know you arent joking!!
quickcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:26 PM   #15
EPCOTatNight
I am the Polynesian Parking guy and the Original DISard of Oz.

Op, I don't live near a beach and I could care less about them. They're ok.
(8/2006 ASMo) (8/2007 Pop) (5/2009 3 night Wonder) (12/2009 ASM/Pop) (1/2011 Pop) (1/2012 CSR/WL) (1/2013 ASMo/4 night Dream) (5/2013 6 night Magic*Galveston*) (12/2013 7 night Fantasy) (3/2014 SSR) (8/2014 BLT/AKV) (1/2015 7 night Magic)

EPCOTatNight is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: