Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2013, 10:37 AM   #31
mommytoliandlu
Earning My Ears

Thanks for this awesome review! We are staying at AoA in a LM room in less than 2 weeks, and I was getting a tince nervous about all the "long walk" complaints, but I feel better about it after reading your post! So glad you had a wonderful vacation

Disney trips so far:
1. Stayed offsite in 1992 (when I was a kid with my parents)
2. AoA in 2013 with DH, DS, DD & my mom
Hopefully planning our next trip!
mommytoliandlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:17 AM   #32
emilyindisney
DIS Veteran

Thanks for sharing! I stayed a week at AoA in January and was a little worried about the walk/the noise/etc. because a lot of complaints were circulating around DIS.

Like you, I was pleasantly surprised by the resort. You're right- it was beautiful and the walk wasn't horrible. Sure, it was a little long, but not bad. I thought LoF was busy but the food was good (for a value food court) and there was a nice selection. The rooms were a little small but it was only two of us so we were fine.

I wholeheartedly support your statement that people shouldn't change their reservations. Give AoA a chance! I think a lot of people will find that the complaints are a little blown out of proportion and overall, its a great resort!

March 1996 (Swan), March 2008 (CBR), January 2013 (AoA), February 2014 (ASSp/BWV), October 2014 (Pop)

"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" -Walt Disney
emilyindisney is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-14-2013, 11:37 AM   #33
dpswift
DIS Veteran

I was a little disappointed that the LM rooms were not included in free dining when Dh and I go in the fall. I really loved staying there. I was not bothered by the walk, but I work retail so I am used to being on my feet all day.
dpswift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:05 PM   #34
teentoddlermom
DIS Veteran

Thumbs up Exactly my take!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamalolo View Post
We just returned from a wonderful spring break trip. I had read so many negative things regarding the Little Mermaid rooms at AOA, that I felt I needed to give my family's opinions. We were there for 10 days and had an amazing time. We stayed in building 7 (Ursula), facing the lake. I can honestly say that after 10 days of the walk to/from our room to refill our mugs, go to the bus stops, etc..., that he did not complain one time. After reading many reviews, we went expecting the worst, and got there and realized that the walk is not bad at all!! We could do the walk in 4 minutes. We went to a few other resorts to eat dinner, and the walk from the LM section is nothing compared to some of the other resorts! AOA is such a beautiful resort, that we felt lucky that we were able to walk through the Lion King section every time.
I have read posts where people have changed their resort reservations because of the walk from the LM section. Our advice: please don't do that. If you do, you will be missing out on staying at an absolutely gorgeous resort! The walk is fine!!!

Our stay was fabulous! We were sad to leave and we look forward to staying there again in the future. We are a value resort family. We figure that we are not in the rooms long enough to pay the extra, so we all agreed that we found our new favorite! Thanks!!
I so agree with your take! Loved walking thru Lion King! The walk is fine! The longest walks we ever had were to our rooms in BWI and BC. There are really long wraparound corridors in those resorts!

October 1974, May and November 1985, August 1992, Offsite, August 1998 CSR, August 2003 GF Sugarloaf, August 2004 YC CL, August and November 2005 BWI CL and ASMu, August 2006 AKL, August 2007 WL, February 2008 YC, August 2008 [COLOR="red"]POP[/COLOR], July 2009 GF, Feb 2010 BC CL Feb 2011 BWI, Aug 2011 POP, Feb 2012 PORS, Aug 2012 PORS, April 2013 AoA and PORS, July 2013 ASSp, August 2013 DLH, Dec 2013 CBR, Feb 2014 PORS, July 2014 AKL August 2014, ASSp Nov 2014 POFQ, The teen is now in Law school, the toddler is in High school, but my username remains the same! (and I haven't aged)
teentoddlermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:16 PM   #35
nkereina
Wendy Darling

Curious on your remark with the thermostat... did you experience the motion sensored auto shut off at night or when you weren't in the room? I'm pretty sure that's standard there, but I didn't know if there was a way to bypass it (there is at CSR). I keep the central air in my house at 70 so that temp is fine to me, I'd just be more concerned with the motion sensor part shutting it down so it's not cooling while I'm out. I hate coming in to a warm room.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:36 PM   #36
P00H1010
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the review! We are staying in a LM room in September...excited

July 2010: Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
July 2011: Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
July 2012: Split Stay @ Bay Lake Tower/Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
September 2013: Split Stay @ Art of Animation/Beach Club Villas
July 2014: Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
P00H1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:48 PM   #37
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkereina View Post
Curious on your remark with the thermostat... did you experience the motion sensored auto shut off at night or when you weren't in the room? I'm pretty sure that's standard there, but I didn't know if there was a way to bypass it (there is at CSR). I keep the central air in my house at 70 so that temp is fine to me, I'd just be more concerned with the motion sensor part shutting it down so it's not cooling while I'm out. I hate coming in to a warm room.
I was concerned about that but it wasn't an issue. I kept the temp around 68 or so...I was never hot during the night. And I thought it would be an issue. But, it wasn't.

We were there, in a LM room, for our last two nights. We moved over from AllStar Music. I was so happy to be at AoA!!! We had been put in the Country Fair bldgs at Music. Man, that was a hike. But when I got to AoA-LM I compared the walk. It was almost the same!!! It must be due to the theming that it doesn't seem as far at LM as it did at Music!!! I love walking through the Lion King section!
I did think the main pool was a bit crowded most of the time. But I was very pleasantly surprised to find that the pool noise from the LM pool wasn't a big deal. We were given a room facing the pool, ground level. The lifeguard station was pretty much right in front of us..Ursula bldg. I was never bothered by any noise!!!
Old 06-14-2013, 03:15 PM   #38
DSNY4ever
I am going to keep hunting around
I will cross my fingers for both of us

Thanks for the review, we can't wait to stay there this Fall. I am now curious what people keep their thermostats at...at home we keep ours at 77 in the summer or else we'd go broke, but 70 sounds freezing! Do people regularly put it in the 60's in the summer? Maybe because hotel rooms are stuffier?

Disneyland at the Holidays, here we come!
DSNY4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:35 PM   #39
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNY4ever
I am now curious what people keep their thermostats at.
Winter - 70
Summer - 68
Old 06-14-2013, 04:34 PM   #40
katiee37
DIS Veteran

I'm glad to read the reviews about the seemingly long yet not really walk to the LM section! I was a little worried about it since I would want to get coffee at LoF before I head out on my rope drop days come January.

Oh and I keep my thermostat at 72 year round. It feels cool enough in the summer and warm enough in the winter, plus I don't have to worry about playing around with a thermostat that I can hardly understand. (It's not as simple as pressing an up or down arrow, unfortunately.)
January 2014 Art of Animation--Celebrating my birthday January 2014 PTR
January 2015--Running the 5K and (yikes) possibly the Half Marathon!

katiee37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:41 PM   #41
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNY4ever View Post
I am now curious what people keep their thermostats at home
Summer - 77
Winter - 68ish

And we live in Georgia. Yes, 77 during the summer. When we go to Disney World, I pack sweat pants and winter pajamas because I know I will freeze at night while in the room.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:05 PM   #42
katt789
DIS Veteran

Glad you guys liked it!! I really loved AoA, we did the same as you, cut through the parking lot to get to the bus & walked throughthe LK section to get back at night.

Absolutely loved the resort, especially the LM rooms! The shower was the best!! I need to buy me one of thos shower curtains!!

Instagram:Kattwyllie
Twitter: KattWy

katt789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:54 PM   #43
nkereina
Wendy Darling

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNY4ever View Post
Thanks for the review, we can't wait to stay there this Fall. I am now curious what people keep their thermostats at...at home we keep ours at 77 in the summer or else we'd go broke, but 70 sounds freezing! Do people regularly put it in the 60's in the summer? Maybe because hotel rooms are stuffier?
My house is new construction and is energy star certified and we keep ours at 70 year round here in Niagara Falls! It's usually fine for us in the winter but often in the summer, I'll drop it to 68 on really hot days. And of course, the upstairs is always a degree or two warmer with the heat rising.

In hotel rooms, at least ones with the window units, I crank it up. It never seems to cool right to my liking. Maybe at Disney its just the FL humidity. Glad to hear the motion sensors at AoA weren't a huge deal, because that would be a deal breaker for me.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:21 AM   #44
cruisingkat
DIS Veteran

In my opinion, the walk can be extremely long if you are in one of the last rooms in the LM Ariel building. We stayed there in Dec (rooms at the very end of the buiding) and discovered that we were actually the same distance to a POP building as we were to other LM buildings. We ended up driving over to bus stops - that walk back to the room at night after being in the park was a killer.
cruisingkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 04:40 AM   #45
Babsy
DIS Veteran

Cool we like it cold...

In response to "Ì am curious about what people keep their thermostats at home..."

We keep our thermostats on 66 in winter and off altogether from about April to October. We have an air conditioner in our bedroom to be able to sleep at night in July and August.

We live in Newfoundland, Canada. We like it cold by most people's standards. the only time we can go to Florida and be close to comfortable with the heat is from November to February. I keep the temp as low as possible in the rooms to try to cool off, but Florida is just HOT for me in winter and simply not doable most of the year.
Babsy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: