Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2013, 01:22 AM   #1
southlake
Mouseketeer

Recommend your luggage?

DH and I have an assortment of mis-matched brands of luggage, all of which are at least 10 years old, if not more (but all are still in good condition).

I've seen the spinner luggage and I'm wondering if we should bite the bullet and buy a piece or a new set. Trying to roll my carry-on down the airplane aisle the 'wide way' (old-school way) is always a pain. However the reviews on Samsonite's website are not great. (Samsonite is what I have now for my main suitcase). So I'm wondering if anyone has some great luggage they can recommend.
Upcoming: Disney Cruise to the Western Caribbean, Disney Fantasy, May '14
southlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:02 AM   #2
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlake View Post
DH and I have an assortment of mis-matched brands of luggage, all of which are at least 10 years old, if not more (but all are still in good condition).

I've seen the spinner luggage and I'm wondering if we should bite the bullet and buy a piece or a new set. Trying to roll my carry-on down the airplane aisle the 'wide way' (old-school way) is always a pain. However the reviews on Samsonite's website are not great. (Samsonite is what I have now for my main suitcase). So I'm wondering if anyone has some great luggage they can recommend.
I've got samsonite light wieght 4 wheeled cases and I like them.
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-10-2013, 05:20 AM   #3
MDennis28
Mouseketeer

How about the Disney ones by Heys? Thinking about getting those. Are they sturdy?
MDennis28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:20 AM   #4
PrettyPrincessJen
AKA "MomBomb"

I have a the Riccardo Beverly Hills Sausilito (sp?) carry on size luggage. I love it, it's a cute pattern, lots of room, sturdy, and caught it on a huge sale from Macy's. My husband has an entire set of Kenneth Cole and it has really held up to lots of business trips so I would also recommend. Two of my children have samsonite spinners and we have used them several times with no problems they are very roomy and were purchased at TJ Maxx for a great price. Finally my youngest has a Jansport rolling carry on that is a cute pattern. It has less compartments in side but tons on room. Also purchased at TJ Maxx.

Prob more info than you wanted but hope its useful.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:28 AM   #5
vcunning
Mouseketeer

Like you, we had a mismatch of luggage over the years. We ended up buying the Samsonite ZipLite luggage. It's a hardside with TSA locks. We've been on 3 airline trips so far and they are holding up very well.

Tip . . . we bought them at Kohl's Department Store (actually online). If you have a Kohl's credit card, you occasionally get 30% off (on top of a discounted sales price). And then we got Kohl's gift cards ($10 for every $50 you spend) too. We just waited for them to go on sale.
vcunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:39 AM   #6
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlake View Post

Word of warning!

All Cruise lines are known for the nasty way they toss luggage around and rough piles!

We always just bring our *beat-em up* and miss matched stuff! This way we really don't worry about damage.

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:02 AM   #7
kshark1958
Mouseketeer

The wife and I got this from Amazon. Spinner set is definitely the way to go. We got the bright color easy to pick out from other luggage at baggage claim.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1998 WDW Fort Widerness
2008 WDW All Star Music Resort
2009 WDW Animal Kingdom Villas
2009 Vero Beach
2011 WDW Bay Lake Tower
2013 WDW Saratoga Springs Resort
2013 DCL Fantasy First Cruise Ever
2014 WDW BCV
kshark1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:29 AM   #8
PWammy
Mouseketeer

I have all sorts of cutesy pieces that I use for road trips or as a carry on, but my checked luggage is a new lightweight Samsonite, spinner and I love it! I've never had a problem with airlines or cruise porters damaging my luggage and I also travel with one, large checked in piece b/c it's generally my daughter and I travelling and I don't want to bother with more than one pullman.
PWammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:51 AM   #9
sippican
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDennis28 View Post
How about the Disney ones by Heys? Thinking about getting those. Are they sturdy?
My DH and I have assorted Heys pieces. We have used them on a number of land and cruise trips. Considering the abuse they take on airlines and ships, they are holding up wonderfully (a few scuffs and tiny dents). They are lightweight and easy to roll and we like the hard-sided shell.
I never pay full price for them, they are usually available at a significant discount at Marshall's or TJ Maxx. You probably won't find an entire matched set, or the Disney ones at a reduced price though.
sippican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:15 AM   #10
cwdefouw
DVC Member since 1999

We use Club Glove luggage. They are soft sided with roller wheels and pull-up handles. We each have a medium Roller-Duffle style and a Carry-On size roller bag. They are extremely sturdy, and they have a lifetime warranty which they do stand behind. We had an airline destroy the pull-up handle on one of the roller duffles late 2012. We sent the bag in and they replaced the handle at no charge, all I had to pay was shipping one way.

What we like best about these bags are that they are extremely sturdy but very light. We have taken many two+ week trips with just the two bags each. The medium duffle is sized such that even if you stuff it to the limit, it will still be below 50 lbs. They also have a unique system to connect the two bags together so that they can both be pulled with one hand, that is really nice.

Their golf club travel bags are used by 98% of pro golfers. We are more than happy with their products, they even gave me a pretty good discount since I bought (2) 3 piece packages.

cwdefouw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:18 AM   #11
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club ~ My driveway to WDW = 1 hour!

Location: Tampa, FL resident since 2007 (formally from Lorain & Columbus O-H-I-O)

We have Victorinox and love it!!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2015 - Wonder Mar 4n; Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 3n ~ 2014 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic - Oct SOUTHERN/B2B repo ~ 2013 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 - June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 - Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:34 AM   #12
Lisa Lisa
DIS Veteran

We have had a large rolling bag, a rolling carry-on, and a shoulder tote made by Atlantic for years, and they have held up incredibly well. Ours are from the "Compass" collection, which has been phased out in favor of "Compass 2." Several of Atlantic's collections have the spinner wheels. You can buy directly through Atlantic, but I've found that a number of discount web sites carry the brand as well. We recently added a spinner garment bag to our collection and it worked out great for our 3/23 Fantasy cruise.

http://atlanticluggage.com/index.php...ory&path=59_73

http://www.luggagefactory.com/atlantic.shtml

Disney Dream ~ February 12-16, 2012
Disney Fantasy ~ March 23-30, 2013
Disney Dream ~ September 1-5, 2013 * Trip Report: Living the Suite Life on the Dream ~ Sept. 1-5, 2013
Disney Fantasy ~ April 19-26, 2014
Lisa Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:44 AM   #13
clten
DIS Veteran

Early in 2012 I upgraded our luggage to hardsided cases. I went with the Samsonite Brite Lites for our checked bags. Love the color, easier to pick out when coming down the carousel. It has held up really well with both the airlines and the cruise (maybe not so surprising, we get a bunch more scuff marks from the cruise line handling it than the airlines). But in the 14 months we've had it, it's been on 4 cruise trips and still looks great. The only thing I would change about it is the zipper. It can be a little tough to zipper unless the two halves are sitting on one another just right.

Now for our carry on, I got the Dash from Brookstone. I really love these pieces and the color selection is great. I've ended up buying a few for other people as well because I like it so much. I wish it came in a bigger piece. Even though I really like my Samsonite, I'd re-invest if I could get a larger Dash.
clten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:33 AM   #14
kaseyC

Mother of Three Lovely Princesses
DVC Owner - BWV

Briggs and Riley!! They have a lifetime guarantee. I've had my Transcend set since about 2009, they've been on multiple cruises, domestic and international travel and they still look great. Worth every penny. I absolutely love my rolling duffles.

http://www.briggs-riley.com/category...?col=transcend
BC/ Disney Wonder 2000 ~ Poly Concierge 2002 ~ BC Concierge 2003 ~ SSR 2004 ~ BWV 2005 ~ WL Concierge 2006 ~ Disney Wonder/BWV 2006 ~ BWV 2007 ~ Disney Magic Trans-Atlantic Repo 2007 ~ Disney Magic W. Caribbean 2007 ~ AKV 2008 ~ BWV F&WF 2008 ~ Poly CL 2008/2009 ~ BCV/ Disney Magic E. Caribbean 2009 ~ BWV 2010 ~ AKV/ Disney Dream B2B 2011~ BW Flower & Garden Weekend 2011 ~ BLT 2012 ~ Disney Fantasy E. Caribbean 2012 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2013 ~ Disneyland Paris 2013 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2014

kaseyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:25 AM   #15
scrapbookmomma74
We love DCL!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDennis28 View Post
LOVE these! We found them for a fantastic deal before Christmas on Totsy, so everyone got a new set of luggage. We have 3 different patterns. They roll nicely, all 3 in each set have 4 spinner wheels. That is totally my new "must-have" on luggage!
A lifetime of memories at the "World"! 1974, 1975, 1983, 1993, 1995, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, DCL Magic 2010, DCL Magic 2011, DCL Dream 2011, DCL Magic 2012, DCL Fantasy 2012, DCL Dream 2012, DVC Member Cruise Dream 2013, DL Resort Summer 2013, DCL Fantasy 2013, DCL Magic 2014
[/url][url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]
scrapbookmomma74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: