Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2013, 04:05 PM   #1
WDW Princess 71
DIS Veteran

Med- Cinque Terre from La Spezia?

For those on this season or past season's Med cruises, can you share your experience of how you got from La Spezia to Cinque Terre? How far of a walk is it from the port tender area to the train station? Is there another way to get there other than by train? I'm asking because I looked up the train schedule for our day there, and we don't get ashore until 7:45 am. There is a 7:55 train which I'm guessing we couldn't make? And then the next train isn't until 9:51. It seems like a huge waste of time to have to wait until nearly 10am to get our day started so I'm wondering if there is an alternative means of getting to the first town (Riomaggiore) other than by train and if so, was it a taxi/boat that you used and how much?

September 2014: 14 Night WB Transatlantic on the Magic! November 2013: WDW & 3 Night Dream Mother/Daughter TripJuly 2013: 12-Night Eastern Med Cruise w/Greece & Turkey, then Disneyland Paris! January 2013: 7 Night Western Carib on the Fantasy May 2012: 5-Night Double Dip Dream Cruise for Mom & Dad's 30th Anniversary! February 2012: Solo Valentine Cruise Treat to Get Me to Gold! January 2011: 3 Week Ultimate Disney Vacation- WDW then 15 Night Disney Cruise Through Panama Canal then DL in California!May 2010: celebrating at WDW for graduating my MBA program! January 2010: 3rd Disney Cruise, 1st on the Magic, prefaced by New Years Eve in WDW! November 2009: Return to DL at Disney's Grand Californian Resort, May 2009: WDW Summer Kickoff, January 2009: 2nd Disney Cruise- Sisters Cruise 4 Night Wonder, March 2008: WDW Spring Break, February 2008: WDW ESPN Weekend with relatives, April 2007: WDW Spring Break, March 2006: WDW Spring Break, March 2004: Land & Sea Graduation Present 4 Night Wonder (1st Cruise!) and 3 Night WDW, April 2003: WDW Spring Break, November 2002: Florida College Road Trip, Stopover in WDW, June 2002: California College Road Trip, Stopover in Disneyland, November 2001: WDW Mom’s Birthday Celebration, April 2001: WDW Spring Break, October 2000: Millennium Celebration WDW, November 1996: 1st Trip WDW Hooked For Life, 2004-2007: MANY trips up to Disneyland, CA (including 50th Anniversary Happiest Celebration on Earth!) while in college at University of San Diego
WDW Princess 71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:13 PM   #2
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

I dont know about the trains, but when I got off the tender there were signs for the one ferry company which ferries from La Spezia to all 5 towns. I dont' know the name off hand, but you search through the Med Planning thread, I posted the schedule for that company before. Just search Cinque Terre and it will come up.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-18-2013, 08:05 PM   #3
SparklesofHope
Earning My Ears

Just finished the 7-day Med cruise (June 8th sailing) and we did Cinque Terre on our own by train. I would say the train station is a good 15 minute walk from the port. You'll want to take the train to Sestri Levante, this will stop at each Cinque Terre town. Unfortunately, they don't run that frequently so there may be some waiting time at the station. Also, note that the validation machines are no longer yellow, per Rick Steve's, they are gray. My apologies if you already knew all of this.

My expectations about Cinque Terre were high after reading about the area. We visited Monterosso and Vernazza and I have to admit I was a bit underwhelmed by what we saw. Perhaps the gray weather had something to do with it. I was glad that we were able to visit the area but I really enjoyed Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast much more.

WDW 1984; Christmas 2010 Hilton Bonnet Creek
Disneyland, CA--Too many to count!
1st DCL cruise--Magic in the Med 6/2013
SparklesofHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:19 PM   #4
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklesofHope View Post
Just finished the 7-day Med cruise (June 8th sailing) and we did Cinque Terre on our own by train. I would say the train station is a good 15 minute walk from the port. You'll want to take the train to Sestri Levante, this will stop at each Cinque Terre town. Unfortunately, they don't run that frequently so there may be some waiting time at the station. Also, note that the validation machines are no longer yellow, per Rick Steve's, they are gray. My apologies if you already knew all of this.

My expectations about Cinque Terre were high after reading about the area. We visited Monterosso and Vernazza and I have to admit I was a bit underwhelmed by what we saw. Perhaps the gray weather had something to do with it. I was glad that we were able to visit the area but I really enjoyed Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast much more.
Thanks for posting this. I was on the June 1 Med and I had really really hoped to go, but because of mobility issues couldn't make the 15 min walk to the station and did Portofino instead (which we loved).

Do you have some pics of Cinque Terre from your visit?
Old 06-18-2013, 09:09 PM   #5
SparklesofHope
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post
Thanks for posting this. I was on the June 1 Med and I had really really hoped to go, but because of mobility issues couldn't make the 15 min walk to the station and did Portofino instead (which we loved).

Do you have some pics of Cinque Terre from your visit?
I'll try to post some pics when I get a chance. I know many others loved Cinque Terre. I've read the views from the boat are amazing. We opted not to take the boat because the weather wasn't great. We had also hoped to hike some of the trails but much of it was still closed. The part of the trail that was open was definitely out of the question for us since my in-laws and kids were with us. Anyway, it was still worth a visit.

WDW 1984; Christmas 2010 Hilton Bonnet Creek
Disneyland, CA--Too many to count!
1st DCL cruise--Magic in the Med 6/2013
SparklesofHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:57 PM   #6
WDW Princess 71
DIS Veteran

Also, for those who've already sailed, what time was the last tender back to the ship from La Spezia? Which train time did you choose to get back to the port on time? I've read in Rick Steves' books that the trains are often late but I wasn't sure how late that meant, and just how close I should cut it?

September 2014: 14 Night WB Transatlantic on the Magic! November 2013: WDW & 3 Night Dream Mother/Daughter TripJuly 2013: 12-Night Eastern Med Cruise w/Greece & Turkey, then Disneyland Paris! January 2013: 7 Night Western Carib on the Fantasy May 2012: 5-Night Double Dip Dream Cruise for Mom & Dad's 30th Anniversary! February 2012: Solo Valentine Cruise Treat to Get Me to Gold! January 2011: 3 Week Ultimate Disney Vacation- WDW then 15 Night Disney Cruise Through Panama Canal then DL in California!May 2010: celebrating at WDW for graduating my MBA program! January 2010: 3rd Disney Cruise, 1st on the Magic, prefaced by New Years Eve in WDW! November 2009: Return to DL at Disney's Grand Californian Resort, May 2009: WDW Summer Kickoff, January 2009: 2nd Disney Cruise- Sisters Cruise 4 Night Wonder, March 2008: WDW Spring Break, February 2008: WDW ESPN Weekend with relatives, April 2007: WDW Spring Break, March 2006: WDW Spring Break, March 2004: Land & Sea Graduation Present 4 Night Wonder (1st Cruise!) and 3 Night WDW, April 2003: WDW Spring Break, November 2002: Florida College Road Trip, Stopover in WDW, June 2002: California College Road Trip, Stopover in Disneyland, November 2001: WDW Mom’s Birthday Celebration, April 2001: WDW Spring Break, October 2000: Millennium Celebration WDW, November 1996: 1st Trip WDW Hooked For Life, 2004-2007: MANY trips up to Disneyland, CA (including 50th Anniversary Happiest Celebration on Earth!) while in college at University of San Diego
WDW Princess 71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:20 PM   #7
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW Princess 71 View Post
Also, for those who've already sailed, what time was the last tender back to the ship from La Spezia? Which train time did you choose to get back to the port on time? I've read in Rick Steves' books that the trains are often late but I wasn't sure how late that meant, and just how close I should cut it?
For us it was 6:30pm
Old 06-19-2013, 04:09 PM   #8
luke
Señor Mejor

The station is maybe a 15 minute walk from the port (we got lost and went the wrong way at first so can't be sure ).

We went to the last town (monterosso?) by train then planned to do some of the trails, but the one we chose was so long and hard we gave up and got the train back

Got some stunning views from the trail though (this was 2011)

Old 06-20-2013, 02:36 PM   #9
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Luke--that's beautiful, thanks for posting.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: