Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2013, 11:27 AM   #16
mtil
Earning My Ears

We were on the 3 day Dream last May and there was a 4:00 pm matinee for Believe which is shown on the Castaway Cay day. The Golden Mickeys is shown on Thursday after departure so they cannot do the matinee. Villains Tonight did not have a matinee.
mtil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:36 AM   #17
jcarwash
DIS Veteran

I don't think there is an absolute answer as to whether there will be matinee shows or not. It must depend on other factors, perhaps including how many actual passengers are on board.

I was on the Fantasy 7 night Western Feb 16-23 and all the live shows were at 6:15 or 8:30, no matter if it was a sea day or not. There were no matinees scheduled on that cruise. It would have been great if there were matinees, but there were not any.

As for the original question, coordinating your dining and nightly show is actually very easy. Early diners see the late show, and vice versa.

Update: lbgraves below explains that new cast rehearsals were being held during afternoons on this cruise, so no matinees were available.

WDW: 17 | DLR: 2 | DCL: 2
Next: Aug 2014 DLR

Last edited by jcarwash; 04-05-2013 at 12:46 PM.
jcarwash is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-05-2013, 11:42 AM   #18
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarwash View Post
I don't think there is an absolute answer as to whether there will be matinee shows or not. It must depend on other factors, perhaps including how many actual passengers are on board.

I was on the Fantasy 7 night Western Feb 16-23 and all the live shows were at 6:15 or 8:30, no matter if it was a sea day or not. There were no matinees scheduled on that cruise. It would have been great if there were matinees, but there were not any.

As for the original question, coordinating your dining and nightly show is actually very easy. Early diners see the late show, and vice versa.
The matinee shows generally tend to be on sea days, although not always. If the WDT is needed for other reasons (extra rehearsals, a cast replacement rehearsal, and sometimes they use the theatre for special events) there won't be a matinee show.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:43 AM   #19
MikeAndNick
If you can dream it, you can do it.

This is coming from a father of a 16 year old that has been cruising since he was 9 so take it with a grain of salt...
9:00 pm seems like it is to late for your small children. I think you will find it is a little different on a cruise ship. The late show is full of kids the same age as yours. I always set in the 3 row, isle seat stage right. That area is full of kids from 4 to 12 hyper just cannot wait until the show begins. Very seldom I see sleepy kids in the late show.
Disney Cruise Lines: Wonder Land and Sea – Bahamas 2005, Magic Eastbound Trans Atlantic 2010, Magic Mexican Riviera Nov 20, 2011, Fantasy Western Caribbean June 23, 2012, Wonder Bahamian December 14, 2013
Princess Cruse Lines: Panama Canal 2006, San Francisco Alaska June 19, 2011, Pacific Coast Nov 24, 2013
Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2009
Carnival Cruise Lines: Encanta Mexico 2009
NCL Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2008
MikeAndNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:27 PM   #20
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarwash View Post
Your cruise was the first with the new cast onboard. They held rehersals during the afternoon to adjust to the movement of the ship after learning the shows on land. They do that for 2-3 weeks before the old cast leaves and the new cast takes over the evening performances.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:41 PM   #21
jcarwash
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves View Post
Your cruise was the first with the new cast onboard. They held rehersals during the afternoon to adjust to the movement of the ship after learning the shows on land. They do that for 2-3 weeks before the old cast leaves and the new cast takes over the evening performances.
Very interesting, thanks!

WDW: 17 | DLR: 2 | DCL: 2
Next: Aug 2014 DLR
jcarwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:24 PM   #22
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

That is so weird.

I googled "original live productions will be performed three times each evening" and was sent to the Disney page for Onboard Entertainment.

When I simply clicked on the link, I got this:

Quote:
Whether you are assigned the first or second rotational dinner seating, the schedule has been designed to allow Guests plenty of time to see a performance of any evening's live show.

On any of the Disney Cruise Line ships, if you are assigned the first dinner seating time, you'll be able to go to the second performance of the live show; likewise, if you are assigned the second dinner seating, you'll be able to attend the first performance of the live show.

When you book your cruise, you will be asked to select a dinner and live show time based upon availability at that time. Requests to change these assignments may be made during the booking process or upon boarding the ship, if availability allows. On the Disney Dream, a stand-by line may be utilized for unfulfilled show time requests.

When I went back to the google search and clicked on the link to get the *cached* page, I get this:

Quote:
Whether you are assigned the first or second rotational dinner seating, the schedule has been designed to allow Guests plenty of time to see a performance of any evening's live show.

On the Disney Magic and Disney Wonder, if you are assigned the first dinner seating time, you'll be able to go to the second performance of the live show; likewise, if you are assigned the second dinner seating, you'll be able to attend the first performance of the live show.

On the Disney Dream, our original live productions will be performed three times each evening. In order to make certain everyone is accommodated – similar to our assigned dining times – you will be assigned a specific performance. If you are on the first dinner seating time, you'll be assigned either the first performance or third performance of the live show. If you are on the second dinner seating, you'll be assigned to attend either the first or second show performances.

When you book your cruise, you will be asked to select a dinner and live show time based upon availability at that time. Requests to change these assignments may be made during the booking process or upon boarding the ship, if availability allows. On the Disney Dream, a stand-by line may be utilized for unfulfilled show time requests.

So it looks like it *has* been updated (when I went to the plain link, I got the info with only 2 shows), but it's out there, somewhere, in cached form, with the seemingly older info.

I wish there had been a 3pm matinee, I might have actually gone to a show then!

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: