Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2013, 05:54 AM   #1
markkelly
Earning My Ears

Christmas 2013 vs Easter 2014

Hi All

After almost booking for summer 2013 a couple of months ago and gaining a lot of info from this site I am not keen to visit either Christmas or Easter.

Xmas flight -I favour direct unless the saving is very considerable - there are four of us and I think an extra 200 per person is a worthwhile expense for me give the age of my kids 7 & 5.

What are opinions of Christmas vs Easter....in terms of weather, expense and businessness of the resort.

My wife is a teacher and so we are very constrained about when we go...ideally 2 weeks.

Floights for xmas are iro GBP1100 each which is a little pricy but having never looked before I guess this is just the going rate. Easter flights I imagine will get released in the next few weeks....any strategy about booking iommediatrley vs waiting a while?

Appreciate any comments or advice.

Cheers
Mark
markkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:11 AM   #2
VailaTigger
DIS Veteran

Have done Easter before (with a lot of trepidation) as I now have two step-sons.

It was fine!! Not nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be, crowds wise. We got up early, got most of the big things done first, got most of what we wanted done by mid-afternoon. No worries about long ride queues in the mornings, just the afternoons.

Booked our ADRs for Disney dining well in advance, and no worries there.

The weather was GORGEOUS, hot and sunny. We were delayed coming home, and two of those days were the only days we saw rain, and it lashed it down the whole two days, but that was it. Went back to being hot and sunny again after that!

I would go at Easter time again, with the same plans in place.

Hope my thoughts help!
2010 - April, Pop Century, 2 weeks
2012 - September, Animal Kingdom Lodge, 2 weeks honeymoon
VailaTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-05-2013, 09:05 AM   #3
london75
DIS Veteran

The strategy with flights is generally, if you are comfortable paying the price and the times and airline suit you, pay it and never check the price again!

Availability and consequently price can change drastically in minutes. Many times I've missed perfect flights by waiting to get home from work to discuss with the Mrs.

I now book when I'm happy and hopefully there won't be a sale the next day!

Personally having been quite a few times I fancy Christmas but if it were my first I think I'd choose Easter for longer park hours, flower and garden festival and more likely to be hot.
london75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:31 AM   #4
torsie24
Or I could call it the postalabration
Now I know to wear flip flops!
Got engaged on a trip to Disneyland Paris

For a saving of £800 I'd definitely do indirect.

It's easier in some ways than direct, and really not the hassle you imagine.

Biggest benefit is no huge customs line once you get to MCO, so that takes off an hour or two from the extra journey time, and you get a nice break in the middle to grab some food and feel a bit more human before the short hop down to FL from wherever your first stop is.

We preferred our indirect to direct Virgin. Much nicer planes and was great to stretch our legs, grab some food and skip all the queues!

WDW: 1994-I Drive / 2009-AKL / 2011-Disney Wedding -AKL-GF RPC-BW-BLT
DLRP 1997-HNY / 2000-SL / 2008-SL / 2009-DLH / 2012-HNY
DLR: 2005-Day Trip
torsie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:40 AM   #5
theminx08
Mouseketeer

Have been at Easter and Christmas, I would choose Christmas every time as its really lovely. Easter can be busy due to "Spring Break" in the USA. There are lots of college and school groups about. After going at Easter due to crowds etc we said never again.
The best time we found was the last week of August and first week of September as the US kids have gone back to school and UK kids are going back. Maybe you could squeeze this in before your wife starts the new term?. Lines for major rides were 5 min waits!
We are going over Halloween this year so will be interesting to compare.
Hope this helps x
theminx08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:46 PM   #6
Tony Toon
DIS Veteran

Our DD worked for Disney from July 2009 - August 2010 and being the good Mum that I am (and a teacher) we went to visit her and make sure she wasn't homesick or pining every holiday that came round. As a result we were there for 4 weeks in July 2009, a week in October, 10 days at Christmas, 10 days at Easter and then again for 5 weeks in July 2010. It was brilliant! We liked the theming and decoration at Christmas/New Year but found the weather to be chilly (it was unseasonably so that year) and the crowds really difficult. We queued to go everywhere - there were jams on the roads and the place was mobbed. At the time we said never again, but would give it another go now I think. Up here the schools get a 2 week Spring break every year at the beginning of April and Easter fell at the beginning of the holiday in 2010. It was busy at the start of the holiday, but once the main Easter weekend was out of the way, things settled down and the parks were actually quite quiet. The other bonus was the weather which was wonderful - sunny and warm without the humidity or torrential rain of summer. That particular year we ended with an extended holiday courtesy of the volcanic ash We've also found October to be a lovely time to visit. We only get a week but again weather is generally very warm and the crowds are quieter.

Mrs TT
Jan '97 Disneyland Jul 02 - Villa Indian Ridge Oaks Jul 03 - Villa Indian Creek Oct 04 - DLP Jul 05 - Villa Indian Creek Jul 06 - Villa Indian Creek Jul 07 - Villa Indian Creek Jul 08 - 1 wk Fort Myers Beach Condo, 3 wks at (you've guessed it) Villa Indian Creek Oct 08 - birthday trip July/Aug 09 - 4 wks to settle DD in Disney job Oct 09 - Homewood Suites Lake Buena Vista. Xmas 09 - Villa Indian Creek. Easter 2010 - Beach Club. Summer '10 - 5 weeks inc cruise on Disney Wonder (wonderful), Jul '11 - Indian Creek.Jul '12 - 2 wks OKW&Indian Creek; Jul '13 POFQ & offsite; Jul '14 SSR & Offsite
url=http://distickers.com/ticker/][/url]
Tony Toon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:24 PM   #7
scoobydooby
Dreaming of next Disney trip

I have visited the weeks either side if Easter and the weeks either side of Christmas (so school holidays) and they both have their pros and cons. December weather is wildly unpredictable. We wore coats, hats and gloves for 4 days, swam in 70 degrees for four days and had just about every temperature in between. Easter weather was better but still decidedly chilly some days the year we went, baking hot on others.

Crowd wise both are busy, busy, busy. Christmas week makes Easter weekend look empty. However. They also open the parks at 7am (or did when we went) Christmas week. This means if you can get up and at the gates for 6.45 you will clear half the park before most people arrive. On Boxing Day me and DD did 21 attractions by 2pm with no more than a 10 minute line. But we were the very first at MK that day.

The parks are beautiful at Christmas and the collet weather means you can keep going longer.

I could not agree with you more personally re flights. I'd pay £800 more for a family of four to fly direct. Just me, but actually I'd pay double that.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:19 AM   #8
MrRomance
Planning and Plotting

Quote:
Originally Posted by markkelly View Post
Hi All

After almost booking for summer 2013 a couple of months ago and gaining a lot of info from this site I am not keen to visit either Christmas or Easter.

Xmas flight -I favour direct unless the saving is very considerable - there are four of us and I think an extra 200 per person is a worthwhile expense for me give the age of my kids 7 & 5.

What are opinions of Christmas vs Easter....in terms of weather, expense and businessness of the resort.

My wife is a teacher and so we are very constrained about when we go...ideally 2 weeks.

Floights for xmas are iro GBP1100 each which is a little pricy but having never looked before I guess this is just the going rate. Easter flights I imagine will get released in the next few weeks....any strategy about booking iommediatrley vs waiting a while?

Appreciate any comments or advice.

Cheers
Mark
My DW was a teacher as well and it was a pain. We did Easter once before we adopted the kids and it was bearable, but we wouldn't do it with kids because it was REALLY busy. Can't comment on Christmas as I've never done it but from what I've read, it's ridiculous too. My suggestion (if you can stand the heat) would be to go for the last 2 weeks before the new school year.

Off-Site Disney World Visits '92 - '94 - '96 - '99 - 2000, 2001, 2004
Disney World Stays August 2008 - CBR - February 2012 - SSR - July 2012 - POR - October 2013 - SSR - October 2014 - SSR - 2015 - Moving to the Sunshine State!

Disney Fairytale Wedding Vow Renewal Feb 2012
MrRomance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:11 PM   #9
dixonsontour
DIS Veteran

Don't be put off indirect.

The key is good flight times - i've flown indirect with DD aged 4, 5 and 6 with no regrets.

You clear immigration where you land. Immigration at MCO can be a nightmare with long queues.

eg with US airways via Philly we landed at MCO at 6.30pm. Were in the car a few mins later. The direct Virgin flight lands 3.30ish but in the past have been held on the plane for an hour as immigration hall full plus over an hour immigration line. Plus considerable savings.
20ish trips to USA 1997 onwards including All Star Movies Dec 2009 with DDP, OKW Oct 2010 with DDP, Floridays Resort Oct 2011, Bahama Bay resort May 2012, OKW Oct 2012 with DxDDP, All Star Movies Oct 2013 with DDP

DH 39 Me 39 DD 8

Perfectly Princess Tea Party Review Disney Dining 2010 Review
Dining on a budget - $100 a day with coupons All new Dining on a Budget of $100 May 2012
Dixons go Deluxe Oct/Nov 12
dixonsontour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:00 PM   #10
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

We've been at Christmas once and it was pretty cold that year. We arrived on Dec 25th and between then and Dec 31st the parks were very busy but once Jan 1st hit the parks emptied out completely. It is a lovely time to visit though and I would go again at that time but i've been 4 times so would be happy to miss things and go at a slower pace.
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:02 AM   #11
markkelly
Earning My Ears

All - many thanks for the useful info (straight after I posted I had internet issues and been offline a few days until I got home)......lots to think about.

Seems like I wil lbe stuck with a very busy time either way but both sound great.

I hadnt considered end of Aug as I thought that was a really bad time weather wise....either super hot or hurricance season. Term starts 2Sep 2014 where we are so looks like it isnt an option for us anyway.

I'll hold fire until Easter flights are released and see what the comparision is.
Christmas current look about GBP1125 for direct vs from GBP720 for indirect - so given that is GBP1600 difference and the comments above I will give it some thought.

Thanks
markkelly is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: