Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2013, 12:44 PM   #16
Postal68
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven69david View Post
I'm the opposite, I wish it never came to be. They could have picked something better than Avatar to model a world after. But I'm all for a new section of the park that will allow me to get more EE ride time with a lower waiting time.
exactly. Avatarland is a horrible idea, not to mention it was a crappy movie. I don't think anyone got "Avatar Fever" because of the film.
Postal68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:11 PM   #17
twebber55
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal68 View Post

exactly. Avatarland is a horrible idea, not to mention it was a crappy movie. I don't think anyone got "Avatar Fever" because of the film.
The 2.8 billipn and gross and 9 acad. nominations may disagree with you

Two recent films when advertising were comparing themselves to avatar just because you dont like it doesn't mean it wont be incredibly successful but really doesnt matter it comes down to the quality of the land and thats disneys job

Place will be packed when it opens
Guaranteed

I say give it a chance when it opens and then judge
June 2010 BWV
June 2011 VB
June 2011 BC
June 2012 BC
June 2012 THV
June 2014 BC
twebber55 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-06-2013, 01:52 PM   #18
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by twebber55 View Post
What a totally reasonable and rational suggestion! Your sentiment clearly has no place on the internet!

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK NEW TR
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:17 PM   #19
KYMickey
Adding EARS to Kentucky!

Location: Louisville Kentucky, home of the Derby and the 2014 TPC championship!

Quote:
2.8 billipn and gross and 9 acad. nominations may disagree with you

Two recent films when advertising were comparing themselves to avatar just because you dont like it doesn't mean it wont be incredibly successful but really doesnt matter it comes down to the quality of the land and thats disneys job

Guaranteed

Yes, the film did very good, but it hasn't proven any ability to be sustained in the long run. Star Wars, which also has been discussed has had 6 movies with at least 3 more coming. That kind of sustainability is what's needed to justify the expenditures required to build a complete land!
Old 04-06-2013, 11:31 PM   #20
Mom2six
DIS Veteran

I'm excited they are starting construction.

I know some people don't like the idea but what is the big deal? I've never seen the movie - it did not interest me at the time. BUT I don't plan on watching the movie in the park or on the rides. If it is nicely themed and a fun ride, I won't care what movie it is. My kids do not know all the movies behinds all of the rides, and some rides are not about a movie at all! I still like them, don't you?
Mom2six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:57 PM   #21
twebber55
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYMickey View Post
Yes, the film did very good, but it hasn't proven any ability to be sustained in the long run. Star Wars, which also has been discussed has had 6 movies with at least 3 more coming. That kind of sustainability is what's needed to justify the expenditures required to build a complete land!
I just think if the lands good the lands good and movie doesnt matter regardless our opinions on it. Like i said cars was not great but cars land is great

Anyway i guess we wait and see ��
June 2010 BWV
June 2011 VB
June 2011 BC
June 2012 BC
June 2012 THV
June 2014 BC

Last edited by twebber55; 04-07-2013 at 12:41 AM.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:47 AM   #22
StarWarsJez
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Agreed - I think I'd like to print out THIS post and frame it
StarWarsJez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:57 AM   #23
beer dave
There are 10 kinds of people in the world-- those who understand the binary numbering system, and those who do not.

OK... Correct me if I am wrong ( I am sure to be) but isn't star wars alot like star trek in that most the fans are die hard, live for the stories, engulf your life kind of fans? I have grown up with the original star wars, and liked them, no doubt, but I think that the die hard fan base is not as big as it might seem due to the voracity that the fan group displays.

Star wars land, Avatar land, Buck Rogers, Land of the Lost, whatever. Give me a good theme park experience.
beer dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:05 AM   #24
Kona65
Taking it slow and easy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven69david View Post
I'm the opposite, I wish it never came to be. They could have picked something better than Avatar to model a world after. But I'm all for a new section of the park that will allow me to get more EE ride time with a lower waiting time.
I agree, Avatar is old news. Seems like a waste of energy and money.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:09 AM   #25
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer dave View Post
OK... Correct me if I am wrong ( I am sure to be) but isn't star wars alot like star trek in that most the fans are die hard, live for the stories, engulf your life kind of fans? I have grown up with the original star wars, and liked them, no doubt, but I think that the die hard fan base is not as big as it might seem due to the voracity that the fan group displays.

Star wars land, Avatar land, Buck Rogers, Land of the Lost, whatever. Give me a good theme park experience.
So maybe a better solution for Disney would be to build a Star Wars Subdivision like Celebration - theme it up with Star Wars connections. Then those voracious Star Wars fans can live there!

I too like the idea of any land being added that is well done. Look at how cool they made their last bathroom at fantasyland! If they can do that for toilets, what could they do with the whole camp Minnie Mickey space? Turn the imagineers loose and actually do it.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:30 AM   #26
beer dave
There are 10 kinds of people in the world-- those who understand the binary numbering system, and those who do not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrook View Post
So maybe a better solution for Disney would be to build a Star Wars Subdivision like Celebration - theme it up with Star Wars connections. Then those voracious Star Wars fans can live there!

I too like the idea of any land being added that is well done. Look at how cool they made their last bathroom at fantasyland! If they can do that for toilets, what could they do with the whole camp Minnie Mickey space? Turn the imagineers loose and actually do it.

Thats hilarious!
and---

I haven't seen the new bathrooms, so I am not sure if they are really cool or you are comparing the AK expansion to a bathroom.
beer dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:32 AM   #27
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

~Awww, this thread is just like old times!!! We're all together again -- it's so rare when that happens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twebber55 View Post
The 2.8 billipn and gross and 9 acad. nominations may disagree with you

Guaranteed

~Thank you, twebber55. The voice of reason, as usual -- I want to frame this one, too!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_pete View Post
What a totally reasonable and rational suggestion! Your sentiment clearly has no place on the internet!
~LOL. It's Sunday -- I've got to be good today! But, I totally agree!

Quote:
~By your logic, then every project in every theme park must have "six movies with at least three more coming to justify any expenditures" just like the New Fantasyland, Carsland, and Harry Potter World -- got it. And, Avatar has at least two more films in the works to suggest that Avatar did "very good" is an understatement -- the numbers don't support that statement. The Avengers, Spiderman, Batman did "very good" but Avatar is still number one. Again, the film doesn't matter, it is the quality of the attractions that count. It's perfectly fine to not like the Avatarland concept. But, I love it & can't wait for Avatarland!

Quote:

~YES! I *love* this! I couldn't agree more -- your post deserves to be framed, as well! With that said, you've made an excellent point. I'm not a Star Wars fan -- at all. I know the main characters but you couldn't pay me to watch the films. I don't even know the name of the new guy with the red makeup & colored contacts -- he looks so scary! But, I really look forward to a Star Wars land and an expansion on Pixar land because DHS desperately needs something. Then, I hope Disney works on Epcot's Future World. But that's for later -- right now, I just want to focus on Avatarland!!!

Last edited by DRDISNEYMD; 04-07-2013 at 10:38 AM.
DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:40 AM   #28
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thats hilarious!
and---

I haven't seen the new bathrooms, so I am not sure if they are really cool or you are comparing the AK expansion to a bathroom.
the pictures look really cool for the Rapunzel "rest area" And phone charging station. As for the AK expansion, we don't really know anything. I hope that whatever it is, it is better than Hester and Chester. I am optimistic.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:43 AM   #29
twebber55
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kona65 View Post
I agree, Avatar is old news. Seems like a waste of energy and money.
if this were actually true then how come movies like life of pi and the croods call themselves the next avatar

when you have movies comparing themselves to other movies it means you matter

but again it all comes down to the quality of the land/ride

when it pens give it a shot you may like it
June 2010 BWV
June 2011 VB
June 2011 BC
June 2012 BC
June 2012 THV
June 2014 BC
Old 04-10-2013, 11:54 AM   #30
mvk
Mouseketeer

I wonder if everyone who rides Splash Mountain loves Song of the South?

I've never seen Avatar, but certainly look forward to visiting that section if/when its complete.
mvk is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: