Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2013, 02:15 PM   #1
fredandkell
Earning My Ears

Can you carry-on ALL luggage onboard a Disney cruise?

Hi! The husband and I are light packers, always have been. We always carry on one small suitcase each when traveling. We are going next week for our first Disney Cruise. I don't want to have to give up my luggage and then wait hours for the porters to bring it to the room. Is it possible to carry on all bags? (We have done this before on Norwegian with no problems.) Thanks for any advice!
fredandkell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:26 PM   #2
LocaRoja
Mouseketeer

If it can fit through the scanner, you should be good to carry it all on. I heard some mention of 2 items per person for carry on while boarding the Dream on 28-March, but no one was enforcing such during the process.
LocaRoja is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-04-2013, 02:30 PM   #3
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredandkell View Post
Hi! The husband and I are light packers, always have been. We always carry on one small suitcase each when traveling. We are going next week for our first Disney Cruise. I don't want to have to give up my luggage and then wait hours for the porters to bring it to the room. Is it possible to carry on all bags? (We have done this before on Norwegian with no problems.) Thanks for any advice!
If it will fit throught the scanner, you can carry it on. Just keep in mind that you will have to hang on to the luggage because staterooms usually aren't ready until 1:30.

3 Night Disney Dream May 2013 Trip report W/Navigators Link is broken so "google" "Our dreamy anniversary cruise"

5 Night Disney Dream Double Dip June 2012
tweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:32 PM   #4
fredandkell
Earning My Ears

Thanks!
No worries about hanging onto the luggage...we'd've been hanging onto a day bag anyway, and as I said, our luggage is small. Plus, we have a 12:30 checkin time and the rooms are ready at 1:30, right, so there shouldn't be a big gap (hopefully).
fredandkell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:55 PM   #5
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredandkell View Post
Thanks!
No worries about hanging onto the luggage...we'd've been hanging onto a day bag anyway, and as I said, our luggage is small. Plus, we have a 12:30 checkin time and the rooms are ready at 1:30, right, so there shouldn't be a big gap (hopefully).
Sounds like you should be fine.

3 Night Disney Dream May 2013 Trip report W/Navigators Link is broken so "google" "Our dreamy anniversary cruise"

5 Night Disney Dream Double Dip June 2012
tweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:53 PM   #6
scrapbookmomma74
We love DCL!!!

I dream of being such a light packer, but alas, I am so NOT!
A lifetime of memories at the "World"! 1974, 1975, 1983, 1993, 1995, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, DCL Magic 2010, DCL Magic 2011, DCL Dream 2011, DCL Magic 2012, DCL Fantasy 2012, DCL Dream 2012, DVC Member Cruise Dream 2013, DL Resort Summer 2013, DCL Fantasy 2013, DCL Magic 2014
[/url][url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]
scrapbookmomma74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:56 PM   #7
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

on the 15-day Hawaii cruise last May a couple at our dinner table used only carry-on luggage. and still managed to look nice each night at dinner.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:41 AM   #8
Disney 24/7
Mouseketeer

My family just did a 3 night DCL cruise (3/28/13) with 6 days in WDW. We did all carry ons. This is was my 7th DCL cruise and I don't pack as much now as I did on my previous cruises. I have learned to use my bottoms twice and bring a travel size Fabreeze to keep clothes smelling fresh. You can fit a lot on a carry on if you roll everything.
Disney 24/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 11:31 AM   #9
Gottotravel
Earning My Ears

Carry on experience

Fredandkell, how did it go? We r planning to do this and wanted to know how your experience was last year? Thanks.
Gottotravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 11:42 AM   #10
ImDMous
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb in AZ View Post
on the 15-day Hawaii cruise last May a couple at our dinner table used only carry-on luggage. and still managed to look nice each night at dinner.
Wow! That is some kind of weird magic to me. We went on the 15-night Panama cruise and I looked like I packed up my whole house and brought it with me. At least I wore everything I brought.

DLR - passholders, as often as possible
WDW - 3 nights Swan May 2008; 7 nights POFQ Aug 2011
DCL - Wonder 4 night Bahamas May 2008, Fantasy 7 night Caribbean May 2012
Wonder Pixar 7 night California Coast Sept 2012, Wonder WBPC 15 night May 2014
ImDMous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 11:54 AM   #11
johnatthebar
aka @monorailmedic

For anything shorter than a 7 night we generally carry on... sorta. I will sometimes check bags at embarkation so I don't have to carry things around until 1330 (when the room is ready), but I rarely check stuff when disembarking as it really slows the process in the morning. When I do this, I'll bring in my [every]day bag with my laptop and whatnot, but I'll stuff in a bathing suit (if I want to hang out after lunch) or anything else I'll need until 1700 or so.

*side note - on the dream 2 years ago we carried on waaay too much, and with all this in tow, and while wearing a jacket, we got stuck with several others in an elevator for 45 mins...as soon as we boarded. once out I carried all the luggage up 9 flights of stairs.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:27 PM   #12
DynamicDisneyDuo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImDMous View Post
Wow! That is some kind of weird magic to me. We went on the 15-night Panama cruise and I looked like I packed up my whole house and brought it with me. At least I wore everything I brought.
There was a couple on a B2B we did that had done the B2B, a 7 night DCL before and were going to catch a 5 night cruise out of Miami when they left the current cruise. They each had one carry on and a single community carry-on.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:38 PM   #13
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

I'll be on the 15-night Transatlantic in May, preceded by 3 days in FL and followed by 10 days in Paris. I plan to bring a rolling carry-on sized bag that I will check when I fly, a backpack, and my purse. It worked for me for a 3.5-week trip in Europe (cruise + land trip) last summer. I don't bring formal clothes, I wear things more than once, and I do laundry.
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: