Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2013, 01:33 PM   #16
3goofyboys
Me and my 3 goofy boys

We usually take one big vacation a year. My DH has been requesting a beach vacation, but the boys have been begging to do DCL. So, we'll spend our port days at the beach. It's a compromise we're all happy with!
Old 04-04-2013, 02:51 PM   #17
Mickeyhugger
DIS Veteran

We love the beach too, but the closest one (South Padre Island) is a 10-hour drive from us. We eat up the time we can spend on a Caribbean beach.

Mickeyhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-04-2013, 03:17 PM   #18
momof2n2
I homeschool. What's your superpower? ♥

It's like a two-fer?

Disney + beach .= two vacation experiences at once?

We don't care to shop, aren't big on fish, etc.

most cruise lines include beach days at private islands, so I'm guessing it must be pretty widely enjoyed.
All stays offsite.
DCL - 3n WONDER 2001
DCL - 4n MAGIC 2014
DLR in '77 & '98
Weighing DLR vs. DCL for 5/2015
momof2n2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:57 PM   #19
IrenicMom
DIS Veteran

Different strokes for different folks.

If they weren't popular and well attended, they wouldn't be offered.

When dh and I travel alone, we rarely book ship excursions.

When we travel with the kids, we almost always book ship excursions, partly because we know the transportation will be taken care of, and partly because they're self limiting options.

My kids like the ocean. We don't have an ocean within a day's drive.

I like to sit and chill out - and when my kids are at the beach and in my eyesight, I can do that.

Don't pass judgement on how I choose to vacation, and I won't pass judgement on how you choose to vacation. If you don't like something? Don't do it. Problem solved

1979 - Ft. Wilderness * 1984, 1992 & 1998 - Offsite * 1996 - Grand Floridian * 1997 & 2004 - Caribbean Beach * 2006 - Contemporary & Wilderness Lodge *
* 2007 - Beach Club & Wilderness Lodge * 2008 - Swan * 2009 - Dolphin * 2010 - PO Riverside * 2011 - Polynesian & Vero Beach * 2012 - Boardwalk *

DCL Sailed
Wonder 6/09, 10/10, 4/13 * Dream 4/12 * Fantasy 6/12
DCL Upcoming
Magic April 7, 2014 4-night Bahamas
Wonder June 9,2014 7-night Alaskan
IrenicMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:19 PM   #20
dallastxcpa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeyhugger View Post
We love the beach too, but the closest one (South Padre Island) is a 10-hour drive from us. We eat up the time we can spend on a Caribbean beach.
Oh isn't that the truth. And the water in that part of the gulf is best described as brown.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:21 PM   #21
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

I don't go on beach excursions most of the time but I am not a big beach fan. I only go to Castaway Cay to have lunch, not hang on the beach. Unless I'm with someone else who wants to hang on the beach. On the other hand, there are people who absolutely love beaches, and will go to whatever beach is available.

Sand in the pants, yuck.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:39 PM   #22
Keurigirl
let's all sing like the birdies sing

Well why not? The beach is the best feature of some ports.
Disney Cruises: W. Caribbean 3/12, Alaska 8/12, W. Caribbean 4/13, Alaska 8/13, Transatlantic 5/14, Alaska 8/14 next trip: Alaska 8/15
Keurigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:05 PM   #23
dizzi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyem View Post
In New England our beaches are totally different, more rocky and colder. So a Caribbean beach is a real treat. I might feel differently if I was from Florida and had access to nice beaches. It's kind of like when we see cruises going up the east coast to Maine and Nova Scotia. Why would anyone want to do that? But for some people it is very different and a neat thing to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAndNick View Post
If you live by a beach, the beach is no big deal. If you live in a place that does not have a beach, it is a big deal. Or if you are like me where we have a beach 2 hours away but it is so cold all the time that you cannot go swimming, then the warm beaches of the Caribbean is a big deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keurigirl View Post
We live less than 10 minutes from the beach. i was just there today for 3 hours And even though i wont do a beach at every port, ilove different beaches and everything about beaches.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:04 AM   #24
hrhdhd
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrenicMom View Post
Don't pass judgement on how I choose to vacation, and I won't pass judgement on how you choose to vacation.
Wow, that's a little harsh. The OP wasn't passing judgment or telling you not to go to the beach, just asking for information.

Cruises Booked:
Princess Ruby 11/14 Western Caribbean, Princess Regal 12/14 Eastern Caribbean, RCCL Brilliance 05/15 Transatlantic

Cruises Taken:
HAL Zuiderdam 08/05 Western Caribbean, HAL Westerdam 12/05 Eastern Caribbean, HAL Westerdam 12/06 Western Caribbean, Princess Dawn 05/07 Alaska, HAL Westerdam 12/07 Eastern Caribbean, Princess Island 12/08 Panama Canal, HAL Ryndam 11/09 Western Caribbean, HAL Westerdam 01/10 Southern Caribbean, HAL Westerdam 12/10 Southern Caribbean, Disney Magic 05/11 Transatlantic, Princess Emerald 12/11 Southern Caribbean, Azamara Quest 10/12 Sicily / Malta, Princess Emerald 11/12 Eastern Caribbean, HAL Eurodam 03/13 Eastern Caribbean, Azamara Quest 08/13 Northern Europe, HAL Eurodam 11/13 Western Caribbean
hrhdhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:15 AM   #25
nunzia
You can't top pigs with pigs, but you CAN top Toys with Toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keurigirl View Post
True..my DH likes to do all inclusives in the area around Playa del Carmen, Mexico. Gorgeous beaches, nice resorts, free food and drink..all good. BUT..I HATE leaving the resort..icky icky tourist traps with people hollering at you to come buy their junk. I live little over an hour away from Juarez, no thanks...but the beach experience time is laid back and lazy and fine (I just get a little stir crazy after a few days into a 7 day trip ). Visiting the ruins at Tulum was nice, and Xel Ha was good (Ixcaret not so much) but I told DH that if we ever go again, I'm not setting foot off the resort.
I live in the desert and see that every day and wonder..why on earth would people want to visit here???
Old 04-05-2013, 08:21 AM   #26
MichelleVW
I call them "the people that live in my house"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeyhugger View Post
Same here!!! We used to live in NC an hour from the beach and were there all the time. Been in DFW for almost 5 years and still have never made it to the beach in Texas.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:29 AM   #27
EPCOTatNight
I am the Polynesian Parking guy and the Original DISard of Oz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrenicMom View Post
Different strokes for different folks.

If they weren't popular and well attended, they wouldn't be offered.

When dh and I travel alone, we rarely book ship excursions.

When we travel with the kids, we almost always book ship excursions, partly because we know the transportation will be taken care of, and partly because they're self limiting options.

My kids like the ocean. We don't have an ocean within a day's drive.

I like to sit and chill out - and when my kids are at the beach and in my eyesight, I can do that.

Don't pass judgement on how I choose to vacation, and I won't pass judgement on how you choose to vacation. If you don't like something? Don't do it. Problem solved
What was that about? Did I miss something?

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
(8/2006 ASMo) (8/2007 Pop) (5/2009 3 night Wonder) (12/2009 ASM/Pop) (1/2011 Pop) (1/2012 CSR/WL) (1/2013 ASMo/4 night Dream) (5/2013 6 night Magic*Galveston*) (12/2013 7 night Fantasy) (3/2014 SSR) (8/2014 BLT/AKV) (1/2015 7 night Magic)

EPCOTatNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:40 AM   #28
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Quote:
Originally Posted by goosedwn View Post
Can you help me understand what are the different reasons people take an excursion to spend a day at the beach while cruising? I can see if this is their only vacation of the year and they love to hang out at the beach. I really just want to know if I am missing something else from the beaches at different ports. Thanks a lot for any inputs.
Op..where do you live? Are you close to a beach? Are you just not interested in spending time at beaches at all or you don't understand visiting beaches on vacation? Or are you wondering why people would do an excursion to a beach instead of doing one on their own? Just trying to understand the question better as it is pretty random...like asking why do some people like pizza?

Most reasonable answer is because people like the beach!!!

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:43 AM   #29
dskib
DIS Veteran

Why would one go to a gorgeous tropical island and NOT go to a beach??

I think most people only take 1 vacation a year, if that, and if they're not from a beach area, they'll go to the beach. At least I would

I look at the ship as a moving resort taking me to beautiful places where I want to relax on a beach. If my plans were to just stay on the ship, I'd find myself a nice all inclusive resort and go there instead
dskib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:33 AM   #30
peyjax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dskib View Post
Why would one go to a gorgeous tropical island and NOT go to a beach??
ITA

To be honest I never understood why people piled on busses with the masses for a paid tour to go shopping? Like it has been mentioned before different strokes for different folks.
peyjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: