DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2013, 09:53 AM   #1
Beast2Prince
Mouseketeer

First Stay @ AKV

We just booked our first ever stay @ AKV-Kidani in a standard view studio. We typically stay @ OKW, but thought we'd try something different. Any information, tips, ideas for a first timer would be greatly appreciated. Will be traveling with DW, DS (9), and DD (5). We'll have our own car and will be doing a grocery stop as well, if that helps. TIA!!
Old 04-05-2013, 11:33 AM   #2
ParrotBill
A parrot's life for me
Stalked by a little Einstein

We will be doing our first stay at AKL Kidani this summer too.

Here's some key things I've learned so far:

* Room request - for a standard, you might want to request near the pool or near the lobby. Some rooms are a far walk to the lobby, bus stop and pool for a 5 year old. (But car parking stretches under the building so that is not too bad a walk.)

* At least one bus route stops back at Jambo house to get over there instead of walking. Don't bother driving as the parking is farther out and probably not worth the effort.

* Eat at Boma at least once! Exotic flavors, something different, don't be afraid, you will find plenty you like to eat.

* For groceries and supplies, look at google maps and learn the back way out to US 192 from AKL on Sherberth Road. Head west and you will soon reach Super Target and Publix. A little farther, to US 27, and turn right to find Super Wal-Mart and Starbucks.

* Walk the paths in front of Jambo House to find animal viewing areas and guides in the evening. We saw giraffes so close!

BWV and OKW DVC since 1996, 40+ WDW, 2 DL, 1 DLP visits

ParrotBill is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-05-2013, 12:21 PM   #3
cheer25mom
DIS Veteran

We just booked our first stay at AKV on rented points for the first week in June. This is a dream come true trip for us. We never thougt it would be in the buget to stay Savannah view. All of these pointers are great! Anyone have any other helpful hints?

ETA: I know what else I wanted to know: Cna Kidani guests swim at the Jambo pool? We have stayed at POFQ in the past and been able to use all the facilities at POR so I was wondering if it was the same here?

Last edited by cheer25mom; 04-05-2013 at 12:27 PM.
cheer25mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:38 PM   #4
bwang123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast2Prince View Post
We just booked our first ever stay @ AKV-Kidani in a standard view studio. We typically stay @ OKW, but thought we'd try something different. Any information, tips, ideas for a first timer would be greatly appreciated. Will be traveling with DW, DS (9), and DD (5). We'll have our own car and will be doing a grocery stop as well, if that helps. TIA!!
night vision & jiko

bwang123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:40 PM   #5
keaster
DIS Veteran

Yes, Kidani guests can swim at Jambo and vice-versa.

The slide at Kidani is longer, and they have a cool splash area. I think the Jambo pool is actually larger.

AKL is our home resort, and we love it so relaxing

DCL Gold, Baby!
Caribbean Magic - February 2009
Bahamas Wonder - September 2009
Mediterranean Magic - May 2010
Mexico Wonder - March 2011
Bahamas Dream - July 2011
Caribbean Fantasy - March 2013

Our DVC Adventures!AKL Jambo - March 2012/AKL Kidani - August 2012/BLT - March 2013/SSR Treehouse - August 2013/AKL Kidani - March 2014/VGF - June 2014
keaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:49 PM   #6
erionm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheer25mom View Post
ETA: I know what else I wanted to know: Cna Kidani guests swim at the Jambo pool? We have stayed at POFQ in the past and been able to use all the facilities at POR so I was wondering if it was the same here?
Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge (which includes the Villas) is a single resort with two buildings (Jambo House and Kidani Village). As a guest of the resort, you can use any of the standard resort amenities at either building.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:43 PM   #7
cheer25mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by keaster View Post
Yes, Kidani guests can swim at Jambo and vice-versa.

The slide at Kidani is longer, and they have a cool splash area. I think the Jambo pool is actually larger.

AKL is our home resort, and we love it so relaxing
Quote:
Originally Posted by erionm View Post
Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge (which includes the Villas) is a single resort with two buildings (Jambo House and Kidani Village). As a guest of the resort, you can use any of the standard resort amenities at either building.
Thanks! Great to know. We had a wonderful time visitng with a bartender at the Jambo pool bar when we were there to eat at Boma in November. DD REALLY wants a chance to swim in that pool this time around!
cheer25mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:13 PM   #8
lovin'fl
DIS Veteran

Just added on DVC points at AKV and booked our 1st stay as well (for Xmas with DH's entire family). I too can't wait...AKL has been my dream resort since our very 1st family trip to WDW in 2003.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:01 AM   #9
joelp
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast2Prince View Post
Boma!!! (for dinner - and breakfast is very good, too ...)

There's tons of things to see and do at Kidani and Jambo House, so plan on spending some time just roaming the resorts. Get the "activity calendar" first thing and check out all the things you'll be missing while at a park ...

A word of warning: you probably won't want to stay at OKW after Kidani ...

Off site - 8/76, 10/90, 10/94; POFQ - 5/07; AKL - 12/08; AKL - 9/09; Off site - 6/10; AS Movies - 3/11;
AKV-Kidani - 11/12; AKV-Jambo - 11/13 ; AKV-Jambo - 12/14

Dec 2008 Trip report at http://www.disboards.com/showthread....9#post29702539
Sep 2009 Trip Report at http://www.disboards.com/showthread....9#post34156519
Sep 2009 TR continued (but never finished) at http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7#post36403597
March 2011 PTR at http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2643038
joelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:47 AM   #10
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovin'fl View Post
Just added on DVC points at AKV and booked our 1st stay as well (for Xmas with DH's entire family). I too can't wait...AKL has been my dream resort since our very 1st family trip to WDW in 2003.
How wonderful! Enjoy that very special vacation!

Bobbi
Old 04-06-2013, 01:58 PM   #11
sturowski
Mouseketeer

We are staying here in September for the first time also! We are sooo excited. Has anyone ate at Sanaa? Is it good and ok for kids? Mine are 4 and 6. I thought they would like the view at dinner..
sturowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:06 PM   #12
DisneyQueen1320
Mouseketeer

I love Sanna, we eat there every time we stayed at AKV. Both of my kids ate there on the last trip, they were 5 and 9. The kids like it because they can watch the animals.

Enjoy your trip
DisneyQueen1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:35 PM   #13
LimoFam5
DIS Veteran

Location: Los Alamitos (Rossmoor), but most of the time we are at Disneyland.

Use the buses to get from Kidani to Jambi. Jambo has a bigger resort gift shop and a quick service. Jump on any bus that is going to a resort as these buses stop at Kidani first and then Jambo. To get back to Kidani take the down town Disney bus.
LimoFam5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:51 PM   #14
vggroue
Velma

first time dvc renter

We are hoping to get a AKV stay the first week in december. Still debating which days. Any suggestions for which AKV to stay in. I will be traveling with DH and DS(11).
vggroue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:04 PM   #15
hakepb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vggroue View Post
We are hoping to get a AKV stay the first week in december. Still debating which days. Any suggestions for which AKV to stay in. I will be traveling with DH and DS(11).
Christmas decorations and cooler than summer weather are very popular with DVC regulars, so it may be difficult finding a DVC room this "late"

I generally make my AKV room choice by room type. Jambo for a studio (or Grand Villa ). Kidani for a 1 or 2 BR.

The Jambo 1BR have a weird bathroom with the shower in the Jacuzzi tub, so I'll try to avoid those, now.
But Jambo has more dining options, including breakfast...so that makes life easier with a studios small kitchenette.

Kidani studios are actually a little larger, and there are DVC units on floors 2-4 so you can get a little closer than Jambo's floor 5.
Kidani's big advantage is the 1 and 2BR have a huge master bath with seperate shower, plus an extra full bath off the living room.
Kidani has a better pool slide, if the weather cooperates.
If you stay in Kidani, they have nice Christmas decorations, but Jambo's huge tree in its larger lobby is amazing!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: