Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2013, 06:41 PM   #16
momm2four
We all have those little "skeletons" in our closets, don't we?

Not competitive at all...everyone received a Mickey medal. However, the activities director has to get back on the ship by a certain time so he told us that anyone who finished in 45 min or less would get their medals at the finish line. All other "runners" would receive theirs on the ship.

WDW Oct. '02 HIFS DCL Wonder Oct '05 WDW Oct. 05 PORDCL Magic Oct '08WDW Oct. 08 Nick HotelUniversal Bonnet Creek Resort '10WDW/Universal Bonnet Creek Resort '12DCL Fantasy June '12
momm2four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:24 PM   #17
uziel5000
Mouseketeer

I ran it in November, and it was pretty cool. It's not competitive at all but the type of runner you encounter will depend on who is taking the cruise with you. In mine, there all types from ultra-runners to walkers to first-timers. I actually did a recap of the race on my blog. Here is the link.

http://afatrunner.blogspot.com/2012/...ace-recap.html

On November 24, 2012, the Pink Elephants were on Parade in the Caribbean
uziel5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-04-2013, 09:29 PM   #18
Iceman09201
Mouseketeer

What time does it usually start on an Eastern Carribbean cruise? I have a port adventure at 11am and would really like to do the 5k.
Iceman09201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:53 PM   #19
carmie3377
Hi, I'm Carmen and I'm a Disneyholic.

Location: Exactly 983 miles from the Magic Kingdom and 1,541 from Disneyland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman09201
What time does it usually start on an Eastern Carribbean cruise? I have a port adventure at 11am and would really like to do the 5k.
On the 3/9 eastern, it didn't start till around 10:30. We docked late, then it was mad chaos trying to get down the aft stairwell because they did not let runners off first. It seems it took at least 30 mins to go down 4 flights of stairs.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Walt Disney World Aug/04 FW Cabins; Jun/05 offsite; Dec/06 ASMo/OKW & MVMCP; Jan/08 POR BFF trip; Sept-Oct/08 AKV & MNSSHP; Dec/09 Pop; Nov/11 Cor Spngs w/my honey; Dec/11 AKV Kidani w/ the kids; Oct/12 CR/Poly & MNSSHP; June/13 SSR Girls Only Trip; Oct/13 BC & MNSSHP w/my honey; Jan/14 AKV Mother son trip
Disney Cruise Line Dec/09 Magic 7 nt E w/ Tortola; Jan/11 Wonder 15 nt WBPC; Mar/13 Fantasy 7 nt E w/San Juan; May/13 Magic 6 nt W w/my honey; Sept/14 Fantasy 7 nt W w/my honey

carmie3377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:37 PM   #20
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momm2four View Post
Not competitive at all...everyone received a Mickey medal. However, the activities director has to get back on the ship by a certain time so he told us that anyone who finished in 45 min or less would get their medals at the finish line. All other "runners" would receive theirs on the ship.
That's definitely not what happened during mine, Feb 9 of this year. I walk/jogged it and took 46 minutes, there were possibly as many as 10 people behind me, and the CM stayed there the whole time.

Info was in the Navigator from the evening before, we met and saw the map of the course, got our bibs and safety pins, they chatted with us. We all got off the ship together and were walked to the start line. (to those who do C25K, I recommend treating that walk as your warmup 5 minutes!)

It was casual AND organized.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:00 PM   #21
JillShari
Mouseketeer

As far as your inquiry about the kids, I was told that the nursery aboard the ship is the only child care option for the under 3 child... and they open at 9 which is often the start time of the run. The kids club only opens on CC that day and I'm not sure when that opens.

I let my DH do the run and my 7 year old ran/walked it with him...great bonding thing. And I kept the 3 year old and then we waited for them at the finish. While we were there I saw that they had these great strollers and they were just there....you didn't need to rent them or anything. I'd truly recommend that you grab one or two and use them while you run or walk the course. Of course that depends on if you have kids who will stay in a stroller...my youngest would be screaming to get out of it and walk the whole way!
JillShari is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: