Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2013, 04:07 PM   #91
Tink rules
The kids in my family sometimes think I walk on water... the rest of the time they know I'm their nutty AUNT!!!

I was scrolling on my FB page and I commented on a picture from one of the local restaurants...

wouldn't you know it... I WON A PIECE OF CHEESECAKE I guessed what the flavor was...

(mom will get the cheesecake...)

MichelleAll it takes is faith, trust and a little bit of PIXIE DUST!!! Dream of Small worlds and large Mice!Ohana means family, family means nobody gets left behind. Or forgotten. This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good.
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, she's up!"
1972 - 1986.... Various times while visiting Gram and Gramps!!! 1986 - Off Site Sheraton 192...With Beverly 1987 - Same but this time with Mom 1994 - Poly with Em 1996 - Disney Institute & Poly & Grand Floridian w/Mom 2000 - Grand Floridian w/M 2005 - AS Music & Grand Floridian w/Mom The GRAND Tour!!! Panama Canal WB Repo Cruise 5/2008
Tink rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:26 AM   #92
SDSorority
I was traumatized as a child by Magic Journeys and The Haunted Mansion. **I have a LGMH with me at all times.** {Is it Podcast day yet??}

Location: The home of the Buckeyes! 975 Miles too far away from Epcot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink rules View Post
I was scrolling on my FB page and I commented on a picture from one of the local restaurants...

wouldn't you know it... I WON A PIECE OF CHEESECAKE I guessed what the flavor was...

(mom will get the cheesecake...)

Well folks, it's another week. What are your plans to support yourself on this journey to health??

We're headed to Maimi tomorrow, so I'll be packing up healthy foods to bring with me- homemade gummies, salad made out of chicken and veggies with olive oil and vinegar on the side, and a larabar. And I'll be sure to pick up a bottle of water after we get through security.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:37 AM   #93
ToTLaugher
Just call me sentimental!
I sip and surf

Just joining you all.

I bought the Healthy Calendar Diabetic cookbook that was recommended on this thread. I am not Diabetic, but am borderline, so I thought it might help me. I will be making my first meal from it tonight.

I am also writing down what I eat to help focus me and avoid mindless eating.

I have found many videos on youtube that are just walking through various Disney parks. Being to far to be able to go to walk I bring up the videos on my TV as I walk on the treadmill. Great motivation!
ToTLaugher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:08 PM   #94
disneysteve
You have to enjoy life, not go around worrying about what other people think

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTLaugher View Post
I bought the Healthy Calendar Diabetic cookbook that was recommended on this thread. I am not Diabetic, but am borderline, so I thought it might help me.
As one of the resident doctors here, I totally agree. The diabetic diet is really the diet that everyone should be on. Smaller portions, limiting simple carbs, less fat, more whole grains, well-balanced meals. I often give out diabetic diet sheets to my non-diabetic patients who simply need to lose weight.

And yes, if you are "borderline" or prediabetic (the current terminology), that's definitely the path you should be following. The way to avoid progressing from prediabetic to full blown diabetes is to eat better, exercise more, and lose weight.
Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
disneysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:08 PM   #95
HubbDave
Remember, no matter where you go, there you are - BB
I do love pics of defunct and abandoned Parks

[QUOTE="ToTLaugher"]Just joining you all.

I bought the Healthy Calendar Diabetic cookbook that was recommended on this thread. I am not Diabetic, but am borderline, so I thought it might help me. I will be making my first meal from it tonight.

Let us know what you make!
We don't use it exclusively, but it has some good stuff and is seasonal

Good luck!
Old 04-22-2013, 04:10 PM   #96
Tink rules
The kids in my family sometimes think I walk on water... the rest of the time they know I'm their nutty AUNT!!!

Had my day "off" yesterday... to have what I wanted... but really didn't diverge much from what I've been doing.

I have to get up to the gym soon... I'm a bit anxious about that... it's been a long time since I've done that... I've promised myself that I will do it 3 days this week... still have to get a lock for the locker room... maybe I'll do that tonight...

MichelleAll it takes is faith, trust and a little bit of PIXIE DUST!!! Dream of Small worlds and large Mice!Ohana means family, family means nobody gets left behind. Or forgotten. This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good.
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, she's up!"
1972 - 1986.... Various times while visiting Gram and Gramps!!! 1986 - Off Site Sheraton 192...With Beverly 1987 - Same but this time with Mom 1994 - Poly with Em 1996 - Disney Institute & Poly & Grand Floridian w/Mom 2000 - Grand Floridian w/M 2005 - AS Music & Grand Floridian w/Mom The GRAND Tour!!! Panama Canal WB Repo Cruise 5/2008
Old 04-22-2013, 06:38 PM   #97
disneysteve

Quote:
I have to get up to the gym soon... I'm a bit anxious about that... it's been a long time since I've done that...
If you haven't exercised for a while, take it SLOW! Just do a very light workout, minimal weights, minimal resistance, minimal times. Don't try and do what you remember doing years ago. That might mean only 15-20 minutes of exercise. Just get things moving again but don't overdo it or you'll be sorry tomorrow (and the next day). Work up gradually to a "normal" routine.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:02 PM   #98
Tink rules

I'm actually afraid of going TO the gym... I suffer from anxiety - which strangely didn't get me when I started my journey... but the gym is my one roadblock... I need to talk to my niece... she's an ironwoman and she's helping me take steps... Wish she lived closer - she'd go with me...

Old 04-23-2013, 06:40 AM   #99
evildiva
Reading "Twilight Series" has produced unhealthy expectations in men.

Quote:
I'm actually afraid of going TO the gym... I suffer from anxiety - which strangely didn't get me when I started my journey... but the gym is my one roadblock... I need to talk to my niece... she's an ironwoman and she's helping me take steps... Wish she lived closer - she'd go with me...
I have anxiety about going to the dentist. Break out in a cold sweat and all, even for a cleaning.

The good thing about the gym is that you actually don't need it. I cancelled my membership last year, and actually work out more now than before. I took up running, but walking is just as good. On my cross-train days I use a balance ball and some Cambell Soup cans to do some core exercises I found on Pinterest.

I have found that what you do isn't as important as just getting out and doing something.

You'll do great no matter what you do!

June 1990 Grovsners, April 1995 Magic Music Days (Kissime), April 1997 Magic Music Days (Kissime), July 1997 Cocoa Beach, May 1999 Daytona, November 2005 Pop Century, Apirl - May 2007 Pop Century, September 2008 Pop Century, April 2009 Pop Century (solo), October 2009 All Star Sports (solo), December 2009 Pop Century, April 2010 Pop Century 30th B-Day Trip, October 2010 Pop Century, December 2010 Boardwalk Inn/Podcast Cruise/Beach Club, October 2011 Pop Century, December 2011 Pop Century Solo Disapalooza, November 2013 Pop Century Jingle Jungle 5k, Sept/Oct 2014 Port Orleans French Quarter

evildiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:58 AM   #100
ToTLaugher
Just call me sentimental!
I sip and surf

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve View Post
As one of the resident doctors here, I totally agree. The diabetic diet is really the diet that everyone should be on. Smaller portions, limiting simple carbs, less fat, more whole grains, well-balanced meals. I often give out diabetic diet sheets to my non-diabetic patients who simply need to lose weight.

And yes, if you are "borderline" or prediabetic (the current terminology), that's definitely the path you should be following. The way to avoid progressing from prediabetic to full blown diabetes is to eat better, exercise more, and lose weight.
Thanks for the encouragement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubbDave View Post
Let us know what you make!
We don't use it exclusively, but it has some good stuff and is seasonal

Good luck!
I made a chicken hash from the book last night. OK but needed more spice.
Tonight is a beef barley soup.

I am really enjoying the treadmill right now. Reading all the stories here really helps keep me motivated!
ToTLaugher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:48 AM   #101
disneysteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by evildiva View Post
The good thing about the gym is that you actually don't need it.
This is so true. It drives me nuts when I speak to patients about the need to exercise and the immediate response is, "I know I have to join the gym." NO! I didn't say you had to join the gym. I said you had to exercise.

Exercising involves going no farther than your family room, bedroom, basement, or maybe the backyard. You can exercise while you watch TV. You can exercise while you help the kids with homework. You can exercise while you brush your teeth, cook dinner, or do the laundry. You can exercise at work. Sure there are specific exercises that you can't do without special equipment but don't let that stop you from exercising. You don't need to go anywhere. You don't need a bunch of fancy or costly stuff. And you certainly don't need a lifetime contract with a monthly fee.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:53 AM   #102
disneysteve

Back in August when we got home from Disney, I decided it was time to really focus more on my health. I was already pretty health conscious and still fit into the same size pants that I wore in high school in 1982 but they were getting a little snug. I weighed in at 172.6 at that time. So I decided enough was enough. I started paying more attention to my diet, cutting back on sweets, reducing portion sizes, and got back on the treadmill just to walk which somehow evolved into running. Since January 1 of this year, I've logged 43.58 miles on my treadmill in just over 15 hours (I use an iPhone app to track it but didn't start until January so I don't know what I did before that).

Anyway, I didn't really have a weight goal in mind. I just wanted to get in better shape. In the back of my head, though, I knew that when I graduated high school, I weighed 155. I thought it would be nice to at least get under 160 but had no idea if I could do that or not.

I just got on the scale and weighed 158.2! Not quite to 155 but darn close. That means I've lost over 14 pounds since the end of August. I have to admit I'm pretty proud of myself. That gives me a BMI of 22.7 which is excellent. Now I just need to keep at it and stick with the plan.

How is everyone else doing?
Old 04-26-2013, 08:34 PM   #103
Tink rules

Hanging in there... had a migraine today... but other than that.........

I can't go by the BMI charts... if I got down to what they think I should be for my structure, I'd be unhealthy... I have a weight in mind that I know I can stay very comfortable at and accomplish. I'll be healthier and less likely to give up on unattainable goals.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:53 PM   #104
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place

Quote:
Hanging in there... had a migraine today... but other than that.........

I can't go by the BMI charts... if I got down to what they think I should be for my structure, I'd be unhealthy... I have a weight in mind that I know I can stay very comfortable at and accomplish. I'll be healthier and less likely to give up on unattainable goals.
BMI is useless when you are looking at an individual. Honestly, they shouldn't be used for anything but what they were designed for... to get an idea of a society or segment there of. Some of the healthiest people I know have high BMI due to muscle mass. All it does is look at height and weight.

Body fat percentage would be a better marker for most people. Especially since you can be "skinny" and still have a high body fat percentage due to lack of lean muscle.

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/

LilyWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:03 PM   #105
Tink rules

I agree... my niece who does Ironman competitions... if she were to try to get down to what she should be on a BMI chart... it wouldn't be realistic. & she's almost all muscle. She's a big girl... we run that way in our family... but she's all muscle and very fit.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: