Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2013, 08:00 AM   #31
SDSorority
I was traumatized as a child by Magic Journeys and The Haunted Mansion. **I have a LGMH with me at all times.** {Is it Podcast day yet??}

Location: The home of the Buckeyes! 975 Miles too far away from Epcot.

It's another day! A fresh start! Make good choices today, and if you slip up, just get back up and try again!

Off to the grocery! Healthy meals need made!
Old 04-07-2013, 10:42 AM   #32
DisneyDoc5
Disney, Dogs, Chocolate

way to go everyone! As a physical therapist, I always encourage my patients to be realistic, if all you can do one day is a 10 minute walk, that is great! It's better then 10 minutes of sitting. And you don't have to do all of your minutes of exercise at one time - 10 minutes 3 times a day is as effective as 30 minutes at once. And here is the best news of all... you are going to feel better, have more energy, and be happier when you embrace a healthier lifestyle - these are PROVEN facts!!! I promise!

Healthier lifestyle, like others have mentioned, is not about the scale. It's about total health - physical (stay active and try to eat well most of the time - there is still room for treats, just moderate), mental (find support if you need it, take care of the inside too, surround yourself with positive people), and spiritual (whatever this means to you - for me it's my faith and I also really enjoy yoga). Again, within days of making an effort you will notice a positive change!

Listen, I do not LOVE exercise either, so I walk, walk, walk (while listening to my disunplugged and anything else Disney). I only allow myself to listen when I'm walking - it's my reward. Everyday is a fresh start - I had a big piece of chocolate cake last night, oh well, today, no cake and a walk, moving forward.

It's NEVER to late to change your health - you can do it!
2006 Beach Club, 2008 Contemporary, 2008 Beach Club, 2010 Port Orleans Riverside, 2010 Polynesian, 2011 Coronado Springs, 2012 Port Orleans Riverside, 2012 Fantasy Cruise, 2012 Art of Animation, 2013 Yacht Club, 2013 Polynesian, 2014 Port Orleans Riverside, 2014 Fantasy Cruise, 2014 Animal Kingdom Lodge, 2015 Port Orleans Riverside

DisneyDoc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:32 PM   #33
simmons_m
Mouseketeer

Just listened to the habit heroes podcast from February. Although the order is off chronologically, it is a great follow-up to the getting fit for your trip discussion.
My goal lose 6.5% bodyfat (~14 lbs of BF) by our fall cruise/trip.

Last edited by simmons_m; 04-07-2013 at 01:40 PM.
simmons_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:46 PM   #34
disneysteve
You have to enjoy life, not go around worrying about what other people think

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmons_m View Post
My goal lose 6.5% bodyfat (~14 lbs of BF) by our fall cruise/trip.
I'm curious how you intend to determine that.
Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
disneysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:49 PM   #35
simmons_m
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve View Post
I'm curious how you intend to determine that.
Good question Steve.
3 methods - bodyfat scale, caliper, and hydrostatic.
Tanita BF-680 - (weekly) The percent reduction will be based on a baseline established using a tanita body fat scale. I understand that multiple factors (i.e. hydration, consumption of alcohol, time of day, etc.) can influence the accuracy and reading on these scales, but I have also found that if all variable are equal, the accuracy is pretty close to hydrostatic testing for me. The method I use to help reduce outside factors is weighing myself on the scale in the morning, immediately after waking, and before drinking water.
Caliper - accu-measure (monthly)
Hydrostatic - local company * probably in September.

Ultimately, I look @ the Tanita as my easiest, and most accurate tool, to show change over a period if time because my measurements (process and results) have been consistent.

Let me know if this helps. Happy to take the conversation offline via pm if it makes more sense to do so.

Mike
Old 04-07-2013, 07:09 PM   #36
disneysteve
You have to enjoy life, not go around worrying about what other people think

Thanks Mike. Obviously a well thought out plan. Good luck.
Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
disneysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:43 PM   #37
robertgp124
DIS Addict

I'm on this path, too. A long time ago Pete mentioned the couch to 5K program and said that he thought he might be able to do it. I didn't do anything about it at the time, but have heard Pete talk about he has lost weight and how he has changed the way he ate.

When I visited the doctor a couple of months ago, I realized I had hit an all time high on my weight. A friend suggested doing the couch to 5K program together, and we often text back and forth to compare meals and provide each other support.

Just hearing everyone talk about their own struggles and plans has been quite inspiring. I started about a month ago and have lost around eight pounds so far. There are many, many, many more to go! But I feel better and look forward to the walk/run time.

I heard Kevin say a while ago that he didn't like the idea of weighing in daily. I loved that advice, along with the idea that I will stumble sometimes and it doesn't mean I need to give up or that all is lost.

So many thanks to Kathy,Teresa, and for me Pete, especially for talking about this. I'll say this. For me, it has been a godsend to have a friend working along same lines.

Thanks all!
Old 04-08-2013, 07:23 AM   #38
SDSorority
I was traumatized as a child by Magic Journeys and The Haunted Mansion. **I have a LGMH with me at all times.** {Is it Podcast day yet??}

OK! It's Monday everyone!! .....

If you fell off the wagon this weekend, it's time to get back on! Drink lots of water, move a lot, and make healthy food choices.

This morning was 2 eggs scrambled with a big handful of arugula, and a medjool date. Oh, and a HUGE bottle of water as I drove in to work.

Lunch is a handful of cashews, a handful of berries, a handful of cherry tomatoes, and leftover ground beef on top of roasted potatoes.

Dinner tonight will be pulled pork lettuce wraps with a side of mashed cauliflower and a banana with almond butter for dessert.

Good luck today, everyone!!
Old 04-08-2013, 07:30 AM   #39
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

May I join in? We eat pretty well over here, chicken, fish, salads, veggies, but DH and I are guilty of NOT exercising enough. As we age it doesn't seem to matter as much that we are eating healthy, if we are not exercising, the weight still seems to pile on. I feel like crud, and have vowed to start walking everyday again. I used to run, but since the three DD's, things don't stay in place too well when I run.

So walking it is, and what an amazing difference it makes to my day. I am trying to motivate DH to start riding his bike to work, but it is hard. I have to realize that I have to start with myself even if he isn't onboard yet.

So I would love to be on board with you all if you will have me!
Old 04-08-2013, 08:23 AM   #40
SDSorority

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyjinx3 View Post
May I join in? We eat pretty well over here, chicken, fish, salads, veggies, but DH and I are guilty of NOT exercising enough. As we age it doesn't seem to matter as much that we are eating healthy, if we are not exercising, the weight still seems to pile on. I feel like crud, and have vowed to start walking everyday again. I used to run, but since the three DD's, things don't stay in place too well when I run.

So walking it is, and what an amazing difference it makes to my day. I am trying to motivate DH to start riding his bike to work, but it is hard. I have to realize that I have to start with myself even if he isn't onboard yet.

So I would love to be on board with you all if you will have me!
Welcome aboard!!!
Old 04-08-2013, 03:15 PM   #41
lablady
Mouseketeer

I'm in!

I've been working on my weight for about 1.5 years. I lost 103 pounds but put a few back on over the winter, with Christmas and all the darkness...my ability to resist snacking was severly tested! I've still got about 40 to go and am hoping to put a dent in it for our first ever Disneyland trip in July. I found that it really helps to have friends who are fighting the fight with you, so here I am!

<Shawna>
lablady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:55 PM   #42
baby1disney
DIS Veteran

When I started my weight loss journey three years ago, I wieghed almost 375lbs. I'm now down to anywhere between 227-232. But overall, I've lost over 140lbs!!!! It's a very hard and tough road, but it's so rewarding!! One thing that would help me was that I wouldn't weigh myself every week..I would do it once month(and that was usually after a certain relative would come and visit for a bit..LOL..sorry fellas) and that made me feel pretty good. I did do that every week thing at first, but I would get upset if I gained 5lbs or whatever and would get discouraged.

My clothes were my tale-tale sign and actually other people commenting on how much smaller my face was getting. I was wearing a 26/28 and now I'm in a 16. I have a lot of skin sagging and now I'm doing my tone up program. So hopefully within the next three months, everything will start looking firmer.

T and K, you're gonna face tough challenges and hard times with this, but take it one day at a time. If you eat something and maybe you "shouldn't" have, don't beat yourself up!! Enjoy everything that you eat, just maybe cut back how much you eat of it. If you don't exercise everyday, don't worry about it!!! There were times I'd go weeks without it working out because that's how life is sometimes..but just know that you have a WHOOOOOLLLLEEE LOT of support and we're cheering you guys all the way!!!! Actually, that goes for everyone on here!!!

Have a Magical day everyone!!

~Terrie~
OKWw/DF and DS and inlaws--October 2007
AKV w/DH, DS and inlaws--March 2009
SSR w/Inlaws--October 2010
baby1disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:54 AM   #43
safetymom
Have will travel
ABD trips = clothes optional

So how is it going for everyone? I am still taking small steps forward. Wearing the fuel band makes me think twice when I have a craving.
safetymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:03 AM   #44
SDSorority

Quote:
Originally Posted by safetymom View Post
So how is it going for everyone? I am still taking small steps forward. Wearing the fuel band makes me think twice when I have a craving.
I did this easy walking video last night. Better than nothing!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykPr0t2KutY

So far so good today- 1 egg topped with Franks Red Hot Sauce and a piece of toast topped with a little bit of goat milk cream cheese and sliced strawberries.

Lunch is a grass-fed burger patty with some roasted potatoes and a little bit of raw cheese, with sides of cherry tomatoes and mixed berries.

NO idea what to do for dinner- I have chicken I could cook up and some salad greens so maybe a grilled chicken salad! Not sure DH would love that, and he needs to GAIN weight, so maybe something else for him.

Oh well, off to a good start at least! Have a good day, everybody!!
Old 04-09-2013, 08:12 AM   #45
KristEn87
I WILL be twirling around in a circle singing "I want adventure in the great wide somewhere!" Bonjour!

I'm a little late to the party, but I'll be joining!

I've battled with my weighted since grade school. I'm only 5'1" so any extra weight looks like a lot on my frame. I've lost and gained weight lots of times and never did I get down to healthy weight. The most I've lost a time was 40 lbs, but then my Son came along and I haven't quite been able to get the baby weight completely off (and he'll be 4 this year!)

I ran my second WDW half marathon this past January and while I completely trained for this race I ran at a heavier weight then I did the previous year. In fact I was the heaviest I've EVER been! I remember thinking to myself as I was huffing and puffing along the track "why have I done this to myself" "how did I let myself get so unhealthy" I decided right then and there that as soon as I got home I would join Weight Watches and I did! To be at a "healthy" weight I need to lose 90 lbs. I've lost 20 lbs from January 13th to March 31st...then I went on the Disney Dream and gain about 6 of those back and I'm ok with that! I know what I need to do to get it back off and I will. I needed to be able to enjoy myself while on vacation and not stress about it.

I'm really enjoying WW, but I have used MyFitnessPal coupled with my BodyMedia arm band (what the contestants on the Biggest Loser wear) and I liked that too. I have to switch it up every once in a while. I'm still using the arm band to track my calories burned, but using WW for the food. I'm really interested in Kathy and T's thoughts on the Nike Fuel Band. I've been really considering getting one for tracking my calories, I just hope it's as accurate as the band I have now.

Kathy and T. Thanks so much for sharing your journeys with us. It's always great to know you are not alone in your Journey!

KristEn87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: