Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2013, 08:08 AM   #16
safetymom
Have will travel
ABD trips = clothes optional

Thank you everyone for joining Teresa and I on our journey to a healthier life. At this point I am doing this for me. I will be sharing but I am not holding anyone accountable. I am a big fan of doing things when the time is right. My mind is in that place now to try this.

As I said on the Podcast I have lived through much worse that starting to exercise and eat healthy but this is going to be a tough challenge. I know that I need to take baby steps but to keep on taking them no matter what happens but easier said than done.

Please know that I appreciate every word of encourgement from all of you. It means more than you know.

Thanks for your support everyone!!!
safetymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:42 AM   #17
wildcatbn
Earning My Ears

Make sure to take vitamins you need to get all the nutrients your body needs and most of the time it's not in what we eat.
wildcatbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:49 AM   #18
evildiva
Reading "Twilight Series" has produced unhealthy expectations in men.

I am joining in on the conversation to support everyone and hold myself accountable. I began my healthy journey almost three years ago when I decided to have LapBand surgery. It was not an easy decision to make, but weighing in at almost 300lbs, I had already tried everything else. The Band keeps me accountable by preventing me from eating my trigger foods (bread, rice, pasta, soda). So far I am down 80lbs and am beginning the exercise portion of my journey to a better me. I have alwasy been an avid walker and took up running this winter. TRUST me, I am the last person who ever thought I would be running. It's great though! I'm not fast, and it's not pretty, but I'm out there doin something. So whether your walking, hiking, biking, cross-country skiing, running, dancing, whatever; just doing something for yourself and your loved ones is worht it in the end.

As far as apps go, I have found RunKeeper to be an awesome app. You can set it for hiking and walking as well. It keeps track of your time, distance, pace and calories burned. It's also a free app, which makes it all the better. You can also run your music over it and it will break in to update you when needed.

Good luck to everyone!

June 1990 Grovsners, April 1995 Magic Music Days (Kissime), April 1997 Magic Music Days (Kissime), July 1997 Cocoa Beach, May 1999 Daytona, November 2005 Pop Century, Apirl - May 2007 Pop Century, September 2008 Pop Century, April 2009 Pop Century (solo), October 2009 All Star Sports (solo), December 2009 Pop Century, April 2010 Pop Century 30th B-Day Trip, October 2010 Pop Century, December 2010 Boardwalk Inn/Podcast Cruise/Beach Club, October 2011 Pop Century, December 2011 Pop Century Solo Disapalooza, November 2013 Pop Century Jingle Jungle 5k, Sept/Oct 2014 Port Orleans French Quarter

evildiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:27 AM   #19
disneysteve
You have to enjoy life, not go around worrying about what other people think

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmouse2008 View Post
Up until recently, I have been of the mentality that overeating and being a lazy couch potato was only hurting me. I knew I was wrong, but I kept telling myself this. When in reality I am hurting my children too. Do what mommy says, not what mommy does. I never said this, but in my actions they could see this.

I look at my Stella and I see a mini me.. In actions, likes, dislikes and bad habits she has learned from me. OK, yes I am crying now!!! But I want the best for my kids and right now they are not getting the best of mommy.
I love this. It is so true. I said in my other thread that I'm a physician and work daily with obese patients and need to find effective ways to counsel them. So many people simply focus on their weight - the number itself - rather than what it means to their health and their lifestyle and their job and their family. That's something I often try to incorporate into counseling - how much better people will feel, how much more energy they'll have, how much more productive they'll be, and what better habits they'll be modeling for their kids. Another point I often bring up, particularly because I work in a very poor area, is that it is way cheaper to eat healthy. Going to McDonald's and Popeye's and Dunkin Donuts and Dominos and all of those places on a daily basis is horribly expensive. I bet all of you who are taking on this challenge will find your food bills drop along with your weight as an added benefit.

To throw in my personal details, I've never really had a weight problem and I've been fairly health conscious for many years, but still I knew I wasn't doing as well as I could. Last August, right after we got back from our most recent Disney trip actually, I weighed 172. I'm 5'10" so that gave me a BMI of 24.6 - within normal but right on the edge (25 and under is ideal). It also happened to be the most I had ever weighed. Again, not a huge deal but I knew I could do better. I started watching my diet better - especially the sweets which is my downfall. I dusted off the treadmill which hadn't been used for a while and started walking again 2-3 nights/week (I'm not a morning exerciser either).

Since that time, my weight has dropped to 161 so a BMI of 23. And much to my surprise, my walking somehow turned into jogging. I used to love to run when I was younger but just figured my running days were over at 48 years old. In fact, I still enjoy it and actually went to a specialty running shoe store and got a good quality pair of running shoes which helped a great deal. Since 1/1/13, I've logged 35.75 miles on my treadmill. I found a free running log app on my iPhone and use that to track my progress which helps motivate me too.

Thanks to T and K for doing this. And I'm looking forward to meeting you both at the NJ meet in a couple of weeks!
Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
disneysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:04 PM   #20
contempory4me
Mouseketeer

You inspired me!

I listened to the podcast and then got up off of the couch and went for a 2 mile walk with the dog. He and I both thank you for that!
Old 04-05-2013, 08:28 PM   #21
SamSam

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by safetymom View Post
Thank you everyone for joining Teresa and I on our journey to a healthier life. At this point I am doing this for me. I will be sharing but I am not holding anyone accountable. I am a big fan of doing things when the time is right. My mind is in that place now to try this.

As I said on the Podcast I have lived through much worse that starting to exercise and eat healthy but this is going to be a tough challenge. I know that I need to take baby steps but to keep on taking them no matter what happens but easier said than done.

Please know that I appreciate every word of encourgement from all of you. It means more than you know.

Thanks for your support everyone!!!
Baby steps are good. It sounds like you are on the road to healthier living..
Old 04-05-2013, 10:37 PM   #22
EDuke98080
Have a Magical Day!
Survived the 'Sweet Baby Jesus" drive

Location: Western MA home of the Big Y, the Big E and cider donuts

Thank you for sharing and letting us join you on and support you in this journey. My fitbit says my BMI is a little high at 26 and I would love to achieve in getting that down in ok range instead of where it is. My weight is up 8 pounds since last year in part because I spent 7 months laying around with a very aggravated disk herniation that kept me from doing much. Since getting my fitbit I realized how little I was actually moving around each day. In the last month or so I have upped my activity level to at least 10 flights of stairs each day and a goal of 5,000 steps each day as well. My ultimate goal is to be able to walk a 5K with my DIS friends at one of the RunDisney events.

Looking forward to getting fit together!

Erika

Treehouse Villas, Dec 11/Jan 12, Treehouse Villas Dec 10/Jan 11, SSR Dec 09/Jan 10, SSR Dec 08/Jan 09, Wonder 3 Night Jan 08, SSR Dec 07/Jan 08, Grand Californian June 2007, SSR March 2007, Omni Dec 06/Jan 07, SSR March 2005, Beach Club / 3 Night Cruise March 2004, Hilton Head Island Easter 2003, Boardwalk Villas March 2002, Boardwalk Villas March 2001

DVC Member 2000
EDuke98080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:59 AM   #23
HubbDave
Remember, no matter where you go, there you are - BB
I do love pics of defunct and abandoned Parks

Ski season ends for me on Sunday (local hill where I have a season pass closes). Starting Monday, my 3-4 times per week of skiing will be replaced by a combination of treadmill, neighborhood walking, and maybe starting some yoga DVDs. My wife is very fitness committed and I look to her and our children for inspiration.

I really need to watch what I eat better. Our meals are pretty healthy ( I can recommend some good cookbooks and websites). My big issue is snacking. I come home from work.and am ravenous. So I search for anything not tied down...salty is my preference, especially tortilla chips and Cheese Itz . Any ideas of alternatives?

My goal is to get my BMI down a few points and improve my stamina. I also have slightly elevated BP, so I take a low dose of lisinopril. Would not mind getting that in control via lowering sodium intake and increasing my exercise.

Good luck to everyone on here!
Old 04-06-2013, 09:14 AM   #24
SDSorority
I was traumatized as a child by Magic Journeys and The Haunted Mansion. **I have a LGMH with me at all times.** {Is it Podcast day yet??}

Location: The home of the Buckeyes! 975 Miles too far away from Epcot.

Sitting in rehearsal right now, but after I'm out, it's a healthy lunch and a walk for me!!
SDSorority is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:09 AM   #25
mjtm610
Mouseketeer

I'm in!! I need all the encouragement I can get!
mjtm610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:32 AM   #26
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place

Just be sure to get enough calories and to meet your macro needs. Eating too few calories can have a negative impact on your health. Very few people need to drop all the way to 1200 calories. Know your BMR and your TDEE. Make sure that when you lose weight that you are being healthy about it. Find what works for you but be careful about all the false information out there. If you find something that works within your life then you are more likely to stick with it.

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/

LilyWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:11 PM   #27
disneysteve
You have to enjoy life, not go around worrying about what other people think

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyWDW View Post
Very few people need to drop all the way to 1200 calories.
Good point. The dietitian/certified diabetes educator who I work with teaches that a healthy meal should be about 500 calories plus a couple of snacks of about 100 calories each day, so that comes out to 1,700 at least. I'd say virtually nobody should be on 1,200 calories.

Trying my best to follow the 500 calories/meal rule is really what got me in better shape. Of course, it can be very difficult to follow when you eat out, especially if the restaurant doesn't list calorie content. Even if they do, it is tough to find places that have meals that fit. We were at one restaurant recently that had a "calorie counter" menu. The first item on that menu was 770 calories. I can only imagine the calories on the regular part of the menu if they consider 770 to be their low-cal option.
Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
disneysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:35 PM   #28
Jadeey
Mouseketeer

I'm in too! I'm getting married in December and want to drop at least 15kg by then. (What's that in pounds? Around 35 I think)

Having the support of my fiance has been key for me. He doesn't have much to lose at all but he's been coming to the gym with me 5 times a week and agreeably eating the healthier meals I've started putting in front of him.
Jadeey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:38 PM   #29
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

I just finished a 6.5 mile run in Central Park while listening to this week's shows. It was great to hear Kathy and Teresa's perspective. I know a lot of us listen to the podcast while we exercise, but it was especially cool to hear about fitness while running today.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at the Beach Club!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:06 PM   #30
Tink rules
The kids in my family sometimes think I walk on water... the rest of the time they know I'm their nutty AUNT!!!

I'm in!

I know I've had to lose weight for a long time...

I don't want to do it because I want to be thin...

I want to do it to be healthier...

I've already cut out a lot of the binging I've been doing with candy, etc... and I'm down a couple of lbs. I'm going to start walking very soon and watching what I eat.

Ten lb intervals for me... that way I don't get too overwhelmed.

MichelleAll it takes is faith, trust and a little bit of PIXIE DUST!!! Dream of Small worlds and large Mice!Ohana means family, family means nobody gets left behind. Or forgotten. This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good.
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, she's up!"
1972 - 1986.... Various times while visiting Gram and Gramps!!! 1986 - Off Site Sheraton 192...With Beverly 1987 - Same but this time with Mom 1994 - Poly with Em 1996 - Disney Institute & Poly & Grand Floridian w/Mom 2000 - Grand Floridian w/M 2005 - AS Music & Grand Floridian w/Mom The GRAND Tour!!! Panama Canal WB Repo Cruise 5/2008
Tink rules is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: