Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2013, 11:10 AM   #16
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadddio View Post
What you and I see as simple tasks may not, in fact, be very simple. I have on many occasions been guilty of pushing seemingly simple tasks to my IT guy only to find out that there are huge technical roadblocks to fulfilling my request.
It was colloquialism to call it a simple task. But I work in media and we would NEVER roll out something on our Web site if we knew an entire segment of the population couldn't access it. Disney seemingly keeps putting the cart before the horse when it comes to the system rollout. If the entire system is based on the Web site, then make sure the new Web site is functional before launching it to the general public. If you're going to send your passholders e-mails encouraging them to convert their passes to RFID don't follow it up with "oh by the way, you can't access the passholder site with your new pass."

I'm sure you'll be right back to argue against me on this point, but I believe (as do many others in the passholder communities on social media) Disney dropped the ball on this.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/11 -- CR, 3/12 -- Windsor Hills, 10/12 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/13 -- BWV, 5/13 -- BLT, 10/13 -- YC CL, 5/14 -- BWV, 08/14 -- VGF/BLT, 12/14 -- BWV, 4/15 -- BLT, 10/15 -- BWV

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:24 AM   #17
UNCFanatik
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadddio View Post
What you and I see as simple tasks may not, in fact, be very simple. I have on many occasions been guilty of pushing seemingly simple tasks to my IT guy only to find out that there are huge technical roadblocks to fulfilling my request.
It is truly amazing that people with ZERO knowledge of what is going on behind the scenes with Disney IT, can make such definitive statements. Is it a coincidence that many of these same people that constantly criticize Disney IT are also among the most ardent opponents of the proposed FP+ system?
UNCFanatik is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-04-2013, 11:42 AM   #18
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post
They don't even have printers where they are doing the conversion for current passholders, so CMs are writing your names on the pass by hand.
Egads.

Quote:
It was colloquialism to call it a simple task. But I work in media and we would NEVER roll out something on our Web site if we knew an entire segment of the population couldn't access it. Disney seemingly keeps putting the cart before the horse when it comes to the system rollout. If the entire system is based on the Web site, then make sure the new Web site is functional before launching it to the general public. If you're going to send your passholders e-mails encouraging them to convert their passes to RFID don't follow it up with "oh by the way, you can't access the passholder site with your new pass."
YES!!! I work in marketing/PR and nearly everything I do is electronic - websites, bulk email, social media, etc. Never do we roll out something new and big without attempting to "break" it in every possible first. By the time it reaches the public, there should be very few glitches and they should be the types that no one ever thought of. Seriously, no one at Disney IT thought passholders might want to continue booking online?! Amazing.

I run Disney!
WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015 ~ Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014, 2015 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013, 2014, 2015 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014, 2015 ~Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012, 2015 ~ Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012
PrincessV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:53 AM   #19
ManyMinnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCFanatik View Post

It is truly amazing that people with ZERO knowledge of what is going on behind the scenes with Disney IT, can make such definitive statements. Is it a coincidence that many of these same people that constantly criticize Disney IT are also among the most ardent opponents of the proposed FP+ system?
Not at all, because we've learned from past experiences Disney IT is nowhere near ready to handle the stress FP + will put on the system.

Their website can barely handle tasks on a daily basis as it is.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
ManyMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:57 AM   #20
Gantu
Oh,,,,,blitznac!

Talk about Bad Idea Jeans!

11/09 WL ~ 5/11 SSW POP ~ 8/12 Disneyland / DCA
5/31-6/9/13 AOA- YC - POR

Trip to come!!!! I really won a trip to Disney World!
Gantu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:16 PM   #21
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCFanatik View Post
Is it a coincidence that many of these same people that constantly criticize Disney IT are also among the most ardent opponents of the proposed FP+ system?
I'm guessing you aimed this statement at me. I wouldn't say I'm opposed to the FP+ system. I'm actually excited Disney has found a way to move their park experience into a more forward-thinking system. What you seem to be confusing with opposition is concerns I have about the ambiguities in what Disney has publicly said about FP+.

Until my questions are answered, I won't be a cheerleader writing how fabulous the FP+ system will be. It seems according to you and others, no one is allowed to express concern or frustration of any kind aimed at Disney. Put down the Kool-Aid.

And please spare me the "If you hate going to Disney then why do you go?" response. I love going to Disney World, but I don't for a second believe the company is without flaws. I just was unaware I was barred from expressing concerns by the Disney police patrolling the Next-Gen threads.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/11 -- CR, 3/12 -- Windsor Hills, 10/12 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/13 -- BWV, 5/13 -- BLT, 10/13 -- YC CL, 5/14 -- BWV, 08/14 -- VGF/BLT, 12/14 -- BWV, 4/15 -- BLT, 10/15 -- BWV

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:54 PM   #22
UNCFanatik
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'm guessing you aimed this statement at me. I wouldn't say I'm opposed to the FP+ system. I'm actually excited Disney has found a way to move their park experience into a more forward-thinking system. What you seem to be confusing with opposition is concerns I have about the ambiguities in what Disney has publicly said about FP+.

Until my questions are answered, I won't be a cheerleader writing how fabulous the FP+ system will be. It seems according to you and others, no one is allowed to express concern or frustration of any kind aimed at Disney. Put down the Kool-Aid.
Amazing how a difference in an opinion has you telling me I am trying to shut down any conversation. Talk away. Say whatever you like. I think its entertaining to listen to all the speculation and then revisit it later. I also find it entertaining to listen to people talk about what goes on in the Disney IT department when they have little idea of what is actually going on. Again, talk away. Have fun with it.

I go to WDW about once every 10 years. I don't drink the kool aid. I went in June 2012 to WDW. I just find these conversations and predictions by so called Disney experts very humorous.

Quote:
And please spare me the "If you hate going to Disney then why do you go?" response. I love going to Disney World, but I don't for a second believe the company is without flaws. I just was unaware I was barred from expressing concerns by the Disney police patrolling the Next-Gen threads.
Again, stop with the hyperbole and trying to accuse me of telling you not to voice your opinion. Disagreeing with you doesnt equate to that at all. Again, speak away.

I am no Disney uber-fan here. I personally think there have been many areas that Disney has declined.

But in this particular instance, I dont think you can make a generalized statement about the overall Disney IT department based on this current problem with the website. And one cant extrapolate their current employer's IT department to Disney's IT because there are very little other IT infrastructures as complex and intricate as Disney's is with all the systems that they have to maintain.
UNCFanatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:02 PM   #23
CuteAsMinnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I'm sure you'll be right back to argue against me on this point, but I believe (as do many others in the passholder communities on social media) Disney dropped the ball on this.

Ya think???? Will never figure why they did not wait for perfection.
Wilderness Lodge Old Faithful Club - 2010, 2013, 2015
We'll be home soon...

CuteAsMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:16 PM   #24
DisneyIll
Earning My Ears

I had this exact issue happen to me. I bought an the new RFID AP on March 28th at WDW in the Magic Kingdom. I get home wanting to enter my pass and there is not any combinations that would work. I called the passholder number and a very nice young lady in IT was awesome.She was able to look up the code on the backend. (I still had my receipt and it has some magic numbers on it!) and then I went to the Disney site and entered my AP code that she was able to obtain. She did tell me to hang on to this code for awhile because if I want to book any AP specials, events,discounts etc. I would need this number. So it can be done. I was on the phone probably a half hour as she would come on ask me a question, put me on hold and come back. I suggest calling the passholder website and asking for someone in IT.
DisneyIll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:01 PM   #25
Peepster

Earning My Ears

I have been an uber-Disney fan since 1971 and admit it. This week has seen me making reservations for our 50-ish trip and I feel I at least know how to go about doing it, either website or phone.

And I have been attempting to use the MDE, download it to my IPod, link my AP and DVC, etc to it and make reservations through it. And I had been attempting to withhold judgement as I am not knowledgeable concerning IT.

But, without doubt, this has been the worst experience I have ever had attempting to plan any vacation. I have not been able to make one dining reservation on the website. On the phone, Disney has such a problem with the Spirit of Aloha that they haven't been able to book a reservation for days. I feel grateful that several good CM's have helped me get the reservations we were counting on for our little niece. Some days MDE allows me to access it and somedays not at all. When I can access it all I can do is stare at my screwed up lodging reservations. If I try to manually link my dining reservations they never appear, and, yes, I called tech support and they linked them for me, said "there you go" and what do you know...nothing appeared! What a surprise.

I am the customer. I am paying thousands of dollars for this vacation. I expect better service than this and I do not expect to be told "I don't know" hundreds of times over and over. And everyone here has the right to criticize a company that has made a mess this big especially when that mess impacts their plans, their pocketbooks and their memories.

I've still got that glimmer of hope that someone, somewhere in the company has the gumption (is that still a word?) to right the ship.
Peepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:19 PM   #26
ManyMinnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peepster View Post
I have been an uber-Disney fan since 1971 and admit it. This week has seen me making reservations for our 50-ish trip and I feel I at least know how to go about doing it, either website or phone.

And I have been attempting to use the MDE, download it to my IPod, link my AP and DVC, etc to it and make reservations through it. And I had been attempting to withhold judgement as I am not knowledgeable concerning IT.

But, without doubt, this has been the worst experience I have ever had attempting to plan any vacation. I have not been able to make one dining reservation on the website. On the phone, Disney has such a problem with the Spirit of Aloha that they haven't been able to book a reservation for days. I feel grateful that several good CM's have helped me get the reservations we were counting on for our little niece. Some days MDE allows me to access it and somedays not at all. When I can access it all I can do is stare at my screwed up lodging reservations. If I try to manually link my dining reservations they never appear, and, yes, I called tech support and they linked them for me, said "there you go" and what do you know...nothing appeared! What a surprise.

I am the customer. I am paying thousands of dollars for this vacation. I expect better service than this and I do not expect to be told "I don't know" hundreds of times over and over. And everyone here has the right to criticize a company that has made a mess this big especially when that mess impacts their plans, their pocketbooks and their memories.

I've still got that glimmer of hope that someone, somewhere in the company has the gumption (is that still a word?) to right the ship.
I haven't even bothered with the MDE app.

I loaded all my trip info (resort number, ADR conf numbers, etc) into my Notes app on my iphone, so I know they won't be screwed up or somehow disappear when I need it most.
ManyMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:29 PM   #27
cheer25mom
DIS Veteran

We swaped over our APs the weekend they started doing it and I have had no problems accessing the passholder portion of the site. It retained my info just fine. I cna check passholder rates no porblem.
cheer25mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:57 PM   #28
HelenParr
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheer25mom View Post
We swaped over our APs the weekend they started doing it and I have had no problems accessing the passholder portion of the site. It retained my info just fine. I cna check passholder rates no porblem.
This is great news!!! I feel more hopeful, recognizing some folks may still need some help desk time to make it work.

I know it can't be all IT's fault -- there's lots of departments involved.
But reality is, overall, their systems and online materials are, and have been, glitchy.
HelenParr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:00 PM   #29
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peepster View Post

Please, please, PLEASE email this to Disney! They need to know that they're alienating customers and potential customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMinnie View Post

I loaded all my trip info (resort number, ADR conf numbers, etc) into my Notes app on my iphone, so I know they won't be screwed up or somehow disappear when I need it most.
I do have the MDE app on my iPhone... it's useless. The app, I mean. The old Mobile Magic is working well for wait times and making ADRs, still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheer25mom View Post
Hmm... I wondered about that - if my profile would retain my old pass info.

I run Disney!
WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015 ~ Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014, 2015 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013, 2014, 2015 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014, 2015 ~Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012, 2015 ~ Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012
PrincessV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:22 PM   #30
CuteAsMinnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMinnie View Post

Outstanding idea at this point!
Wilderness Lodge Old Faithful Club - 2010, 2013, 2015
We'll be home soon...

CuteAsMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: