Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2013, 10:36 AM   #16
Mama Who
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphMouth View Post
If that day is a 24 hour day then maybe the rest of that weekend won't be as bad ..... ? ?
Yes, the next morning was nice.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:15 PM   #17
haley's mom
DIS Veteran

During Leap Day those of you that we're there - did they have special characters out or characters dressed up differently? That would be the only reason we would consider attending if 24 hour event.
haley's mom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-04-2013, 12:22 PM   #18
stubby
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by haley's mom View Post
During Leap Day those of you that we're there - did they have special characters out or characters dressed up differently? That would be the only reason we would consider attending if 24 hour event.
I wasn't there but will be there May 24 so I googled it. Apparently some characters were in their pajamas. But, from what I am reading the bad far outweighed the good. 40 mins for coffee, 2hours for food, and people sleeping on tables and benches. Not my idea of a good time at Disney.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:34 PM   #19
anonymousegirl
DIS Veteran

I went on the Feb 29. DL closed to capacity at 4am! With a huge crowd waiting to get in. AT 4AM!! Teenagers sleeping in the locker aea clutching a smart phone plugged into the wall. People sleeping on benches. Counter service restaurants full of people with their heads on tables. Ick.

Still, I had a blast. I would totally do it again given the opportunity.
1973 Disneyland Hotel;1985 WDW Grosvenor; 1988 same;1994 off-site; 1997 off-site; July 2008 POR; December 2008 Pop Century; January 2009 Contemporary, BCV; March 2009 Pop Century; May 2009 Grand California at DLR; September 2009 SSR; December 2009 Pop; May 2010 DL off site; July 2010 Disneyland Hotel; October 2010 Disneyland Hotel; January 2011 Saratoga Springs;May 2011 Disneyland off-site; October 2011 AKV Kidani; DLR OMDD Leap Day 2012; June 2012 BCV/Vero Beach; September 2012 All Star Sports; December 2012 Grand Floridian; DLR off site February 2013;DLR off site for Long Lost Friends week April 2013;DLR Paradise Pier Hotel July 2013; DLR off site November 2013;Aulani DVC January 2014; WDW OKW May 2014; WDW SSR VILLIANS UNLEASHED! Aug 2104;WDW October 2014; CBR/DCL December 2014
anonymousegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:35 PM   #20
Mama Who
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by haley's mom View Post
I have heard rumors that there were some in pjs but I never saw any.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:11 PM   #21
DLR29
We're cheap college kids
It's all in how you tour
We wouldn't want to be left on a cliffhanger

Yes Mickey, Minnie and Donald all had pajamas on, but the line was ridiculously long. It was in the former Carnation Plaza Gardens, which is now the Princess Fantasy Faire.
DLR29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:40 PM   #22
perlster
DIS Veteran

First, this rumor can't be considered an April Fools Day joke as it was started March 15 on that "other" site. It was actually "confirmed" by the columnist who supposedly has special access to TDA insiders. (A controversy here has arisen over whether posting summaries of his columns is worthwhile). Now, nothing other than the original forum thread can be found on that site.

There were more than just characters (BTW, more than just the 4 below) in pajamas on OMDD. The Country Bears and Darth Vader with stormtroopers, also did meet 'n greets.

Daisy hadn't seen Mickey in PJs before. by perlster, on Flickr
perlster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:06 PM   #23
Jkpark
DIS Veteran

I made Dining reservations for that day yesterday and asked about these rumors. The CM hasn't heard the rumor and thought it unlikely given it is a Grad Night. Also agree that with Opa starting the next day - seems a bit much to cram into one weekend. The last 24 hr OMDD was mid week - this is a Friday night and not a blackout date - could you imagine the chaos - even with both parks open? Selfishly I am hoping it is a rumor as I was planning on surprising the kids with a quick trip when they get out of school Thursday. I'll keep watching for updates as from reading here it seems sometimes the CMs are the last to know.

WDW: Dec '85 (offsite), May '01 (offsite), Nov '02 (POFQ/Swan), Jan '07 (POP), Oct '08 (offsite), May '11 (SSR), Sept '12 (offsite/BLT)
March 2012 Aulani
Plus lots of trips to Disneyland
Jkpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:53 PM   #24
fctiger
DIS Veteran

God I guess this is a sign I'm getting old because some here make it sound it was years ago and I remember all the reports of OMDD like it was yesterday lol. I cant belive its already been a year since that event. I was thisclose to going as well. I didnt even want to go, but a good friend of mine wanted to go and was begging me we should that night and stay through the mid morning. I just didnt want to do it because there is nothing exciting about being on Space Mountain at 4 a.m. lol. Buuut, he finally twisted my arm and I said fine, lets do it.

Funny thing happened though was I got off work a bit later than planned and I told my friend I couldnt get there until about 9 p.m. (we planned to go around 7). He said ok and decided to go after 8. About 20 minutes before I was going to jump on the freeway I got a text from him saying not to bother because he was still waiting just to park and he was there stuck on the street for 45 mins lol. He assumed by the time I got there it would take easily an hour just to park. He finally parked, took another 20 minutes just to take the tram and by the time he got to the esplanade around 10 the place was so packed just to get in the park, he just decided it wasnt worth it and got something to eat at DTD and went home which took another 40 minutes to get out. Sooo glad I dodged that bullet lol.

And yes, this rumor has been out for weeks now and a few CMs has posted on that site who are very credible and been told it is happening. Again though I have NO idea why out of ALL the days they can do it, why would they do it on a Friday the first day of a 3 day holiday weekend and grad night is going on??? Why cant they do it, say, the following Tuesday or something? So it is bizarre but nothing official yet. And they are smarter to add DCA this time (which was still in rennovation hell the last time) AND they will properly staff it. That seem like the real problem. They didnt think so many people were going to show up so they cheapened out on the employees to manage it all. They definitely wont make that mistake again.

I dont see myself to doing it given the chaos last time but if Im convinced to check it out I will be at DCA where the alcohol is until 2 a.m.
fctiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:45 PM   #25
DoughR
Mouseketeer

I remember flying out from UT to attend last year. It sounded like fun so I booked a stay at DLH with my brother. I was disappointed to say the least. I remember cell service bandwidth getting so bad that it was impossible to even send a text message. The rest of the week was pretty cool though. They were filming that episode of Modern Family the day before and after, which were both really quiet. It also rained the day before which was incredible (10 min lines for TSMM).
DoughR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:32 AM   #26
WDW1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Dreams View Post

This is the first I have heard of this rumor. I would be surprised if it were true. I wonder if wherever it was spotted, it was an April Fools joke.

- Dreams
I wondered the same thing, except I don't call them April Fool's jokes, I call them April Fool's lies. I first saw this rumour on March 29, so whether or not it is true, it is not one of the April Fool's lies. I hope it's true!
1979 June: Days Lodge Kissimmee - 1991 August: Rental house Orlando - 1997 May: Dixie Landings - 1998 May: Dixie Landings and Polynesian - 1999 July: Wilderness Lodge - 2000 May: Wilderness Lodge, Dixie Landings and Grand Floridian - 2002 April: Dixie Landings - 2002 May: Newport Bay Club at Disneyland Paris - 2003 May: Residence Inn LBV - 2004 April: Villas at Wilderness Lodge and Beach Club Villas - 2005 January/Feb: Fort Wilderness Cabins, Royal Pacific, Hilton - 2005 May: Hampton Inn and Riverside (POR) - 2006 January: Fort Wilderness Cabins and Beach Club Villas - 2007 March: Riverside (POR) - 2008 May: Pop Century - 2008 August: Embassy Suites Int'l Drive - 2009 July: Disneyland Hotel Hong Kong - 2009 Christmas: Wilderness Lodge and Homewood Suites - 2011 March: Riverside (POR), Fort Wilderness - 2012 March: Riverside (POR), Fort Wilderness - 2013 August: Contemporary, Riverside (POR) - 2014 March: Riverside (POR)
WDW1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:24 AM   #27
dmband
DIS Veteran

Wasn't leap day free too?
Of course free will draw bigger crowds then normal
Old 04-06-2013, 10:06 AM   #28
Malcon10t
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW1979 View Post
I wondered the same thing, except I don't call them April Fool's jokes, I call them April Fool's lies. I first saw this rumour on March 29, so whether or not it is true, it is not one of the April Fool's lies. I hope it's true!
Nope, it isn't a joke. I just think its a bad weekend choice.
Malcon10t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:34 PM   #29
schwinnism
Earning My Ears

Its True

A very close friend of mine is CM and the rumor is true! Disneyland will be open for 24 hrs on May 24th. Grad night will be held that night at DCA and close to the public at the regular time and Disneyland will stay open to the public all night long
schwinnism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:25 PM   #30
lalasmama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwinnism View Post
A very close friend of mine is CM and the rumor is true! Disneyland will be open for 24 hrs on May 24th. Grad night will be held that night at DCA and close to the public at the regular time and Disneyland will stay open to the public all night long
Forgive my skepticism, but any proof to offer? This is your first post, based on a friend's report. The calendar doesn't note any extended hours. There's been nothing official coming from Disney... (Remember all the advertising they did for OMDD? Sheesh, I knew about it for MONTHS before it happened because Disney was advertising it so much!)
Next trip: February 2015!
lalasmama is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: