Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2013, 09:20 PM   #1
mevans0000
Earning My Ears

Disneyland open 24 Hours on May 24

Apparently, Disneyland (and I assume DCA) will be open 24 hours on May 24. We were (are?) planning to be there that day but will not be all-nighters. Can anyone offer tips from the last time this occurred (Feb 29, 2012, I believe)? Is the park crowded most of the day or do the crowds come late? Are the crowds a nightmare?

I assume the crowds will be much greater this time than last year since it's Grad night, May, Memorial Day weekend, etc.

Any insight is appreciated.
mevans0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:28 PM   #2
ImTooExcitedToSleep
Disneyland Correspondent for The DIS UnpluggedI'll try to pop in later
Doh! Yeah, that one

I'm sure you saw the same RUMOR I did that said BOTH parks (plus Magic Kingdom in Florida) would be open 24 hours.

I expect this to WORSE than Leap Day.

It's a Friday night. It will start out slow, then by the middle of the afternoon, locals will bombard the Park.

Yeah....I'll probably be there.
ImTooExcitedToSleep is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-03-2013, 09:31 PM   #3
PocahontasLookALike
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTooExcitedToSleep View Post
I'm sure you saw the same rumor I did that said BOTH parks (plus Magic Kingdom in Florida) would be open 24 hours.

I expect this to WORSE than Leap Day.

It's a Friday night. It will start out slow, then by the middle of the afternoon, locals will bombard the Park.

Yeah....I'll probably be there.
Leap day was atrocious. Absolutely atrocious. Disneyland actually filled to capacity. First time I've ever witnessed it.

Ridiculously happy DVC Member
"I solemnly swear that I am up to no good"
WDW 2001 - Sheraton Vistana
WDW 2005 - BWV
WDW 2007 - BWV
WDW 2009 - Beach Club Villas
Childhood Disneyland Trips...too many times to count!
2007 Disneyland trips: January, March and October - VGC
2008 Disneyland trip: 2008 Half Marathon in August!
2009 Disneyland trips: September for the Disneyland Half Marathon, October for a big family trip - VGC
February 2011 Disneyland - PPH
April 2013 Disneyland- PPH
October 2014 Disneyland - VGC
PocahontasLookALike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:32 PM   #4
disneylandkitkat
Mouseketeer

Where did u get this info from. No where else is reporting this.
disneylandkitkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:37 PM   #5
mevans0000
Earning My Ears

Havent seen anything official but have seen rumors on a couple of sites and TouringPlans (which I have had great success with their crowd calendar) updated their forecast to 10.1 crowds at both parks.

Personally, I'm selfishly hoping it's wrong because I will be there that day (and only that day) regardless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneylandkitkat View Post
Where did u get this info from. No where else is reporting this.
mevans0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:42 PM   #6
Lewdannie
Mouseketeer

MiceAge are reporting this.

We were there for the 24-hour event. We were staying on-site and so took advantage of early entry to DCA and spent most of the day there. We did head back into Disneyland at about 8pm for the parade and it was a zoo (but still lots of fun). I have an awesome photo of the concourse chock-a-block full of people:
http://lewinfamily.tumblr.com/post/1...of-people-here

And Main Street at 11pm
http://lewinfamily.tumblr.com/image/18543621964

Last edited by Lewdannie; 04-03-2013 at 10:02 PM.
Lewdannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:43 PM   #7
RalphMouth
Obviously freaky things always can happen beyond anyones control
It's a blast.......you'll love it !!

If that day is a 24 hour day then maybe the rest of that weekend won't be as bad ..... ? ?
RalphMouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:57 PM   #8
PocahontasLookALike
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphMouth View Post
If that day is a 24 hour day then maybe the rest of that weekend won't be as bad ..... ? ?
We were there and the day after was very light crowds. I dont even think we used fast passes. But man those leap day crowds.... Eek.

I only went because my niece really wanted to go after WOC and we spent maybe 2 hours in the parks but it was a total zoo. It's fun to say we went though.

Ridiculously happy DVC Member
"I solemnly swear that I am up to no good"
WDW 2001 - Sheraton Vistana
WDW 2005 - BWV
WDW 2007 - BWV
WDW 2009 - Beach Club Villas
Childhood Disneyland Trips...too many times to count!
2007 Disneyland trips: January, March and October - VGC
2008 Disneyland trip: 2008 Half Marathon in August!
2009 Disneyland trips: September for the Disneyland Half Marathon, October for a big family trip - VGC
February 2011 Disneyland - PPH
April 2013 Disneyland- PPH
October 2014 Disneyland - VGC
PocahontasLookALike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:58 PM   #9
Malcon10t
DIS Veteran

The Greek celebration Opa starts at the park on the 25th. I have a hard time believing they would go 24 hours the night before.
Malcon10t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:12 PM   #10
Disney Dreams
Proudly afflicted with TDMA!
Major pin collector in denial

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocahontasLookALike View Post
Leap day was atrocious. Absolutely atrocious. Disneyland actually filled to capacity. First time I've ever witnessed it.
What was interesting about Leap Day is that it didn't get insane until around 6pm. (My memory on the exact hour may be off -- please don't pounce on me, anyone, if I am off by an hour.) It was a fun day and then when night fell - it got really packed!

As for filling to capacity, it doesn't happen a lot, but it does happen, particularly between Christmas and NYs.

This is the first I have heard of this rumor. I would be surprised if it were true. I wonder if wherever it was spotted, it was an April Fools joke.

- Dreams

Disney Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:35 PM   #11
disneychrista
BL6 Red Team Captain
Disneyland is my Home
Birthdays are for kids of all ages
I have always been a big Kermit the Frog Fan

I have heard this rumor but there are several things that make think that it is not going to happen.

1. This is a GRAD NIGHT. Can't have a private party if it is open to the public. This would be a PR nightmare if they did this.

2. It is Memorial Day weekend. Already a busy time of year.
disneychrista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:57 AM   #12
DLR29
We're cheap college kids
It's all in how you tour
We wouldn't want to be left on a cliffhanger

I think it will be less stressful than Leap Day (and I was there on Leap Day from 9PM-3:30AM) for 2 main reasons:

1. They will have both parks open. It was a huge mistake only having DL last time.

2. They've done it before. They have a previous experience to work with and learn from. This time they will have proper staffing, enough food, hopefully lots of merchandise. They won't be calling in back-up CMs at 8PM who can't get to the parks because of the traffic gridlock. They'll have plans basically.

I will probably attend again.
Bouncy!
DLR29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:49 AM   #13
sherilaine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLR29 View Post
I think it will be less stressful than Leap Day (and I was there on Leap Day from 9PM-3:30AM) for 2 main reasons:

1. They will have both parks open. It was a huge mistake only having DL last time.

2. They've done it before. They have a previous experience to work with and learn from. This time they will have proper staffing, enough food, hopefully lots of merchandise. They won't be calling in back-up CMs at 8PM who can't get to the parks because of the traffic gridlock. They'll have plans basically.

I will probably attend again.
How can they have both parks open when it's grad night at DCA? I think this was an April Fools joke and apparently a good one.
March 2014 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3247388

sherilaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:27 AM   #14
Cheshirecatty
DIS Veteran

Pocahontaslookalike is "spot on"! Leap Day was atrocious during the late afternoon and evening. It is something we NEVER want to experience again. The morning and early afternoon were uncrowded and nice. Well, nice if you discount people sleeping (I mean completely sacked out) on the floors and against the walls of Innoventions and the Main St. Opera house--gross! We've never seen anything like it. Later in the evening the lines for the bathrooms were HUGE and the the bathrooms were disgusting. In theory it sounded great and so fun, but in reality, not so much!
Cheshirecatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:35 AM   #15
Mama Who
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mevans0000 View Post
Apparently, Disneyland (and I assume DCA) will be open 24 hours on May 24. We were (are?) planning to be there that day but will not be all-nighters. Can anyone offer tips from the last time this occurred (Feb 29, 2012, I believe)? Is the park crowded most of the day or do the crowds come late? Are the crowds a nightmare?

I assume the crowds will be much greater this time than last year since it's Grad night, May, Memorial Day weekend, etc.

Any insight is appreciated.

Never again. Considering the phenomenally bad handling of the first overnighter, it was the last one I will ever attend.

Crowds were a nightmare and Disney had not properly staffed up or prepared for them.

FastPass in DL shut off at 8PM- just as DCA closed so suddenly the number of people in the park doubled and there was nothing in place to help manage lines. The 20 minute line for the Jungle Cruise ended up being 50 minutes.

There was a parade on Main Street and no CMs keeping the people on the sidewalk moving. (Which is where I got caught in a crush, had a panic attack and ended up in First Aid...)

By the time we evacuated from the park around midnight the line to get in was two hours long and the traffic was backed up (I am told) onto the freeway.

Never ever again. My best advice is to leave early.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: