Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2013, 03:09 PM   #1
BranNich
Mouseketeer

Afternoon tea at Grand Floridian. What did you think?

Just wondering if anyone has done the afternoon tea at the GF and what you thought. I'm thinking about doing this with my 13 year old dd. Will she even like it? Is it worth the time & money?
Old 04-01-2013, 03:22 PM   #2
auntfrannie
DIS Veteran

My mother and I went a few years ago and really enjoyed it. The only issue we had was our server was so slow and didn't come around much. But we enjoyed the tea, sandwiches, scones, onion tart and desserts. The atmosphere is very relaxing.
auntfrannie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-01-2013, 03:28 PM   #3
justgeorgi
Mouseketeer

She will LOVE it! My daughter and I have been going for many years, since she was a little, little girl. She took her boyfriend for afternoon tea on the last trip so he could experience it. They both loved it and plan to make it a tradition. It does book up fast and has limited seating and limited times so I suggest booking right away.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:49 PM   #4
FiggieFan
DIS Veteran

We are trying it for the first time on our next trip. There are a lot of really positive reviews with pictures and details on tripadvisor.com if you want to review them. The reviews sold me!

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran...o_Florida.html

FiggieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:09 PM   #5
OldsDr
Mouseketeer

Never been myself, but my Wife, Mother and 3 year old daughter loved it.
OldsDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:15 PM   #6
meredith1
DIS Veteran

Is it something you would do for a three and five year little girls or something you would wait on until their a bit older?

DD 5 yrs twin DD & DS 3 yrs
meredith1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:23 PM   #7
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

I've done it now 3 or 4 times and really enjoy it. Last two times we took the menfolk, and they too loved it.

Our fave is to share one cheese/fruit platter, then each person get their own dessert and their own tea. And if you do not like your chosen tea, please be sure to tell your server. We went to tea twice on our Feb trip and the second time I mentioned to the server (same one we'd had a few days before) that I had chosen wrong the last time, and she was really disappointed that I hadn't told her. She would have been happy to switch it for something I liked more.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:27 PM   #8
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meredith1 View Post
Is it something you would do for a three and five year little girls or something you would wait on until their a bit older?
This is going to depend on the children. It's a small tea room, quiet, very small tables and pretty china. I've never seen children there but I've read many posts on here where the children have enjoyed it. I don't recall in the posts if they were that young though.

I enjoy this tea. I love the setting, I love the food choices. We do a late afternoon and use it as our dinner; it's plenty of food. Except for our most recent visit in December, we've always enjoyed our servers and the overall experience.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:28 PM   #9
tarheelmjfan
Proud Redhead
Does anyone have any more secrets to add?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BranNich View Post
Just wondering if anyone has done the afternoon tea at the GF and what you thought. I'm thinking about doing this with my 13 year old dd. Will she even like it? Is it worth the time & money?
We enjoy it. We've had much better experiences at other afternoon teas, but we still have a nice time. The food just isn't quite as good as we've had elsewhere. Don't get me wrong, it's still good. If you don't have anything to compare it to, you should really enjoy it. Your DD is at a perfect age for the tea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meredith1 View Post
Do your girls like to sit & have tea parties at home, w/o getting bored quickly? If so, they would probably enjoy it. If they don't enjoy sitting for an hour sipping on tea, nibbling on food, & quietly chatting with their table mates, I'd probably wait. They would basically need to behave like little adults for that hour. Only you know your girls & are the only one qualified to judge whether or not they're ready. There's also a tea for little girls. It's more expensive & you may not be able to attend, but I'm not sure on the details. Sorry I can't offer more help, but I have a boy. Hopefully, someone will offer more info for you.
(")_(")

tarheelmjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:05 PM   #10
Erikarate
married her prince

I absolutely LOVE the afternoon tea at the GF. I have been taking my DSD18 since she was about 13 actually. We love the Princess breakfast tea (which is like a berry-ish tea)! I always get the "Buckingham Palace" offering which including a pot of tea has tea sandwiches, strawberries and cream, and pastries. My favorite of the items is the scone with devonshire cream and the mini onion tart !!! YUM! My DSD18 used to get the Sally Lunn bread (I think that was the name) but I don't think they offer it anymore. It came with trifle that was TO DIE FOR!!!

Also: for little kids they DO have a "My Disney Girl's Perfectly Princess Tea Party" which is super expensive but a once-in-a-lifetime experience. They do story telling and a special visit from Aurora and you get lunch, tea, and a Disney Girl doll and crown and wand.
07/06 HRH Club & BWV; Nov. (thanksgiving)AKL05/07- WLV; July- HRH kid Suite; Dec OKW04/08 CBR; July RPH & BWV; Aug CBR;Dec OKW
7/09 BCV, 8/09 Swan. 4/10 AKV Jambo, 7/10 BWV, 8/10 AKV Jambo, 7/11 BWV, 7/12 BWV
4/13 - AKV Jambo, 7/13 BWV!!!! UPCOMING GFV July '14
Erikarate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:11 PM   #11
TheRustyScupper
Coordinator: GKTW. Volunteer: Kiwanis & SCORE. Board Member: Make-A-Wish. Average Banjo Picker. Pretty Good Sailing Captain.

Our Ratings of Afternoon Tea at GF: (rev 2/10/13)
. . . food price value: C
. . . food quality: B
. . . food quantity per serving: B
. . . food prep speed: C
. . . food selection: B
. . . seating quantity: D
. . . seating comfort: A
. . . eatery atmosphere: B
. . . eatery convenience: C
. . . staff friendliness: B
. . . staff attentiveness: C
. . . character interaction: n/a

NOTE1: The "Tea" is in a gracious atmosphere overlooking the pool and
gardens of the Grand Floridian. A relaxing way to put a civilized break into
a hectic park day. The negative for the true tea aficionado, is they serve
only Pekoe (BOP or OP) for non-green tea. Reservations are almost a must.
Casual "park attire" is fine, or you can "dress up". You can order packages
or ala-carte from the menu.

NOTE2: This is not up to the par of a true English High Tea at The Savoy, so
our Brit friends might be slightly disappointed, but it is a good way to spend
an afternoon.
TheRustyScupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:19 PM   #12
christygobar
Mouseketeer

DH and I treated ourselves to it about 3 years ago and really loved it. We ordered a la carte and got a miscellaneous selection of pastries and 2 individual pots of tea. It was a good time in the afternoon - they had just opened, so they weren't crowded. It was a very relaxing, enjoyable experience

Offsite stays
- 1986, 1991, 1993, 1997, 2000, 2009
POFQ - Oct 2005, Sept 2006, April 2013
Saratoga Springs - Jan 2008
AKL Villas - Jambo - Oct 2011

Me (35); DH (37); DD1 (3) DD2 (<1)
christygobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:48 PM   #13
brertoad
DIS Veteran

My husband and I really enjoy the Garden View Tea Room. It's really a treat, we like to go for the Christmas holidays. We've seen lots of guests who have made it a tradition, lots of sisters, and mothers and daughters.

I wrote a short entry in my blog about GVTR:
http://wp.me/p1RJwY-23
brertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:13 PM   #14
disneynanacat
Lovin' Disney Too!

I've been taking my DGD since she was 6yo and we always enjoyed it. She's 18yo now and requested it again after I showed her my tentative itinerary and hadn't included it. How could I forget tea!
Old 04-01-2013, 08:22 PM   #15
princess aleya
DIS Veteran

I've always wanted to do this with my daughter. Maybe I should book it for our next trip.

princess aleya is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: