Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2013, 06:01 PM   #1
DAPford
Mouseketeer

things for a new 18 year old to do on the Magic

long story short due to new jobs and being low seniority our only affordable cruise time falls after our daughter turns 18 ( 1 day to be exact ) what is there on board for her to do since the teen club will be out ?

First ever trip to Disney Nov 2001 @ ASM
Land and Sea Cruise on the Wonder Christmas 2008
New Years Eve 2011 on the Dream (Double Dip) and 4 days at the World

Western Carribean Nov 2013 on the Magic
DAPford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:13 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAPford View Post
long story short due to new jobs and being low seniority our only affordable cruise time falls after our daughter turns 18 ( 1 day to be exact ) what is there on board for her to do since the teen club will be out ?
There is an 18-21 group that will meet the first night (and it's real important to be there the first night, as that's when the decisions are made as to what the group may be interested in doing).

As an adult now, she will be able to go to any of the adult areas onboard and see the shows. She won't be able to drink alcohol, but she can go to any of the adult-only places. Palo is also an option now. And she will still able to do any of the "family activities".

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-03-2013, 06:13 PM   #3
neg58
DIS Veteran

Welcome to Palo, the spa, the clubs, the Cove Cafe, the Cove pool!

There is a meeting for people 18-22 but she might not feel included if she is still in high school (or she might be "see ya, mom and dad, I've got friends"). She can now go to the adult art classes and tours, hang out in the clubs at night (without drinking alcohol). She can of course do all the shows and movies and family classes too.

My kids, 16 and 17, will happily give up the Vibe to get into the Cove pool and cafe.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:24 PM   #4
insureman
Disney Cruise Crazy or so my family tells me!

Location: Southcoast Massachusetts.Not close enough to Port Canaveral!

We are also having this issue with my daughter's friend who just turned 18 and is a senior in high school and my 2 daughter's are 17 and 15. We leave next week on the Dream. No flames here please, but we are going to the teen club to see if she can get in, I know on previous cruises we have known people who have done this. IMO it should be based on what grade they are in rather than age.
insureman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:35 PM   #5
DAPford
Mouseketeer

please come back and tell me how it goes as my daughter is an only I am concerned about her being bored or lonely thanks

First ever trip to Disney Nov 2001 @ ASM
Land and Sea Cruise on the Wonder Christmas 2008
New Years Eve 2011 on the Dream (Double Dip) and 4 days at the World

Western Carribean Nov 2013 on the Magic
DAPford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:17 PM   #6
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by insureman View Post
We are also having this issue with my daughter's friend who just turned 18 and is a senior in high school and my 2 daughter's are 17 and 15. We leave next week on the Dream. No flames here please, but we are going to the teen club to see if she can get in, I know on previous cruises we have known people who have done this. IMO it should be based on what grade they are in rather than age.
It used to be that 18 year olds still in high school were allowed to participate in Vibe. No longer. Because of problems with over 18 year olds in the teen club, the decision was made that, because 18 and over is legally an adult, once a child turns 18 they cannon participate in Vibe.

People that turn 18 during the cruise can participate until their birthday, and then they are out.

Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
Old 04-03-2013, 08:19 PM   #7
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAPford View Post
please come back and tell me how it goes as my daughter is an only I am concerned about her being bored or lonely thanks
On our Dec MR cruise we took our DS19. He went to the 18-21 group meeting the first night and we only saw him at dinners and excursions after that for the whole cruise.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:48 PM   #8
Beermam42
Grit and bear it

Been Told 18 Drinking Age on European Cruises

I have heard that cruises headed to Europe allow drinking at 18 as soon as they clear two mile limit. How things have changed in my life time, i drank beer at 15 and no one acted like the world was comming to and end. We still have our sons and dughters fight and die for thier country at 18. Europe treats drinking with a different attitude.
Beermam42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:29 PM   #9
jjje
One time I saw a guy wear cut-off jean shorts to dinner.

There are adult only shows in the evenings in Rocking Bar D and adult only games and trivia in Diversions during the day. Cooking classes, ship tours, Quiet Cove and tons more. I think 18 would be an awesome age to cruise.

Mom Dad and two perfectly imperfect kids Son (13) and Daughter (8)

1982-89 too many trips to Disneyland to count, 1991 Disneyland Paris, 1994 Disney World @ Beach Club, 1999 Honeymoon in Disney World @ Caribbean Beach Resort, 2001 Disney World @ All Star Music, 2004 Disney World during Hurricane Jeanne @ All Star Sports, 2005 Disney World off property, 2006 Disney World with a newborn @ All Star Movies, 2008 Disney World to celebrate surrogacy #1 @ Port Orleans French Quarter, 2010 Disneyland to celebrate surrogacy #2, 2012 Disney World @ Port Orleans Riverside to celebrate surrogacy #3, 2013 Bahamas on the Magic, 2013 Caribbean on the Wonder, 2014 Panama Canal on the Wonder
jjje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:55 PM   #10
jeniamt
DIS Veteran

We recently cruised with our 17 yo niece and her best friend. They visited the Vibe a couple of times but never stayed because it was either empty or had a couple of 14/15 yo boys hanging out. I didn't see them much but at the end of the cruise I asked them what kinds of stuff they did or where they hung out. Apparently they spent a lot of time laying out and reading books at the cove pool and cove cafe. They are mature looking and behaving girls, so they were never questioned. The thing they wanted to do most was eat in Palo! No luck there.

jeniamt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:21 AM   #11
Lobofan5
Mouseketeer

Just curious-- did she have to pay the full adult fare?
Lobofan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:34 AM   #12
Disney Dreams
Proudly afflicted with TDMA!
Major pin collector in denial

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeniamt
We recently cruised with our 17 yo niece and her best friend. They visited the Vibe a couple of times but never stayed because it was either empty or had a couple of 14/15 yo boys hanging out. I didn't see them much but at the end of the cruise I asked them what kinds of stuff they did or where they hung out. Apparently they spent a lot of time laying out and reading books at the cove pool and cove cafe. They are mature looking and behaving girls, so they were never questioned. The thing they wanted to do most was eat in Palo! No luck there.
Sorry, but I have to say that this is disappointing to hear. They were not 18 and they were spending their time in areas that are set aside specifically for adults. That's not right. (I also think it's not right that you did not know that until the end of the cruise, but that's a different discussion.)

The bottom line is: If DCL doesn't question them though, and the adult that is responsible for them doesn't tell them "no," there is nothing to stop kids from doing things they aren't supposed to be doing. And the sad part is that if a 23 year old man made advances on them and they played along, the guy would be the one blamed even though he would have even reason to think they were of legal age since they were in the adult-only areas.

I am not allowed to go make Flubber in the Kids Clubs no matter how fun it looks. Those under 18 should not be in the adult-only areas. Period.

- Dreams

Last edited by Disney Dreams; 04-04-2013 at 06:40 AM.
Disney Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:10 AM   #13
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

As a well behaved (laying out next to my husband reading a book quiet etc) 30 year old I got carded next to the quiet cove pool (by a waiter, no i wasn't ordering anything) because I have bad skin and therefore look young. (Yay acne!)
I wish it was key carded access to the adult areas or they carded everyone "Who appears 40 or younger" as the sign at my local grocery store says.
Please enforce the age limits. I'm not offended by being thought to be much younger. I found it humorous. The only people who will find it inconvenient are those who aren't supposed to be there.
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:50 AM   #14
Dug720
SQUIRREL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisecrasher View Post
As a well behaved (laying out next to my husband reading a book quiet etc) 30 year old I got carded next to the quiet cove pool (by a waiter, no i wasn't ordering anything) because I have bad skin and therefore look young. (Yay acne!)
I wish it was key carded access to the adult areas or they carded everyone "Who appears 40 or younger" as the sign at my local grocery store says.
Please enforce the age limits. I'm not offended by being thought to be much younger. I found it humorous. The only people who will find it inconvenient are those who aren't supposed to be there.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:30 AM   #15
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermam42 View Post
I have heard that cruises headed to Europe allow drinking at 18 as soon as they clear two mile limit. How things have changed in my life time, i drank beer at 15 and no one acted like the world was comming to and end. We still have our sons and dughters fight and die for thier country at 18. Europe treats drinking with a different attitude.
I believe there is a form that the parents must sign authorizing under 21 to drink on those cruises, and that the parent must be onboard as well. At least that had been the policy.
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: