Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2013, 03:34 PM   #1
DSNY4ever
I am going to keep hunting around
I will cross my fingers for both of us

Hulu Plus discussion

I just finally listened to the show where they discussed this and while I agree with most that was said about 6 months ago we dropped cable completely and just got an antenna w/ Hulu Plus and Netflix and we are saving a TON of money. I was hesitant at first, but now I love it. I don't think I will ever go back to paying the high cable prices.

I totally understand how there is no point if you already have regular cable though- but for those that are willing to take the plunge, it is a super savings!

Disneyland at the Holidays, here we come!
DSNY4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:33 PM   #2
PinkBudgie
Expert Disneyland Snowball Maker
I've been wearing my LGMH for several years now

I agree, Hulu is a good choice if you don't get tv. We got rid of cable and dish several years ago. We just have Netflix now (dvd and instant). That gives us plenty of show and movies to watch with no commercials. We also have Amazon Prime. We talked about Hulu Plus and can see the benefit of it, but for now we have too much to watch anyway. We do use regular Hulu to keep up on some of our current favorites, like Revenge. For Downton Abbey, we watch on PBS.org. We have lots of choices for little extra money and lot less commercials.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:05 AM   #3
wgeo
That's the kind of day where you can't open your mouth without a song jumping right out of it!

I agree, I believe everyone talking about it on the podcast was coming from the perspective of Hulu Plus as an addition to cable. That doesn't make much sense. However, everyone that I know (ourselves includes) that have Hulu Plus, have it because we have cut out cable tv to save money, so Hulu Plus is a pretty cheap way to get a lot of access to entire seasons of many shows. Since we don't have cable and hence no DVR anymore, having entire seasons of current shows to watch is great.

DH me DS 10 DD 9

WDW Trips: 1982, 1987, 1994, 2011, 2012, 2014
Disney Magic: 2014
wgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:07 AM   #4
dawnhaze
DIS Veteran

I have Hulu Plus and regular cable... My DVR is unreliable and has small storage space. Also, Hulu Plus allows me to watch on my mobile devices, which my cable company doesn't have an app to do.

(Exact trip dates a work-in-progress!)
dawnhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:05 PM   #5
jennbunn
Mouseketeer

I have cable and netflix but will be adding hulu plus later this month to watch the relaunch of all my children and one life to live. I tend to watch more tv on my tablet lately and this will be a good option for me.
jennbunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:29 AM   #6
wdwfreeksince88
Only An Hour From The House Of Mouse

I understand using these services for tv and movies. But what about live events? Such as ball games and races?
Old 04-08-2013, 08:58 PM   #7
PinkBudgie
Expert Disneyland Snowball Maker
I've been wearing my LGMH for several years now

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwfreeksince88 View Post
I understand using these services for tv and movies. But what about live events? Such as ball games and races?
As part of going without cable or dish, DH had to give up watching games on tv. We live in a valley and get no tv out of the air whatsoever. If there is one in particular he wants to watch we go to my parents' house watch on their tv. (Superbowl or World Series) Or he listens to it on the radio the old fashioned way. He decided missing games was worth the savings.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:53 AM   #8
DSNY4ever
I am going to keep hunting around
I will cross my fingers for both of us

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwfreeksince88 View Post
I am lucky in that my husband only watches European soccer so he can buy an online subscription to Fox Soccer (and he can get it on the TV) so that he can still watch it when he wants and it is still a huge savings over cable.

I am sorry I don't know how it would work for things like football or baseball since we don't watch those. We have an antenna though so since those are usually on the basic cable channels I would assume you could still watch the big games...?

Disneyland at the Holidays, here we come!
DSNY4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:13 PM   #9
GAN
DIS Veteran

Location: Between the Port of Indecision and Southwest of Disorder

I must admit with the way cable is gong through the roof, we're casually looking at options. Right now we have Netflix, TiVo, Apple TV, to go along with cable -to add $8 for Hulu Plus wouldn't be a stretch especially if we cut the cord. Has anyone checked this out:

https://www.aereo.com/

They just won a court case and plan on expanding -covers local over-the-air channels with DVR capability. I believe they're getting $8/month ....that number comes up a lot.
GAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:54 AM   #10
Spaceace5150
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAN View Post
I must admit with the way cable is gong through the roof, we're casually looking at options. Right now we have Netflix, TiVo, Apple TV, to go along with cable -to add $8 for Hulu Plus wouldn't be a stretch especially if we cut the cord. Has anyone checked this out:

https://www.aereo.com/

They just won a court case and plan on expanding -covers local over-the-air channels with DVR capability. I believe they're getting $8/month ....that number comes up a lot.
Sounds like this is the latest of many legal battles for Aereo.

That would be a great product for me. I am a cord cutter and the only thing I miss is being able to DVR live sports and watch them later. Aereo would allow for that (as long as it was on a free over the air network). Right now Aereo is only available for NY City residents. It would be perfect for this weekend's golf tournament!

I also recently canceled Hulu Plus. There wasn't anything there I couldn't get for free by hooking my laptop up to the tv. And I had to pay for ads. The only thing that was nice was having it available on the Roku.
Spaceace5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:39 PM   #11
WaltD4Me
PS...I tried asking for water cups once
I am actually a princess

I really want to get rid of my cable. It's just me. I have one TV and my cable just went up again. $100 a month to watch TV is just ridiculous and I don't have any extras like HBO or anything. I was thinking about just getting the very basic local channels, but I would REALLY miss CNN and HGTV, those are the two big channels I watch outside of the regular ABC, NBC and CBS. Could I still watch CNN and HGTV with Hulu or some of the other things people are using here?
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream
WaltD4Me is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: