Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2013, 09:31 AM   #16
ilovetexas
DIS Veteran
 
ilovetexas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Suburban Atlanta
Posts: 1,308

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeppers View Post
How do you stick up for Carnival at this point? Yes, this probably wasn't there fault but leaving the passengers on the ship during the last incident in there own filth with little food is outrageous. Not to mention having a captain who felt it was a good idea to take the boat close to shore so he could wave at people (and grounding the boat). From what I've seen Carnival is cheap and looks like a great party until you have to swim.......they have no business sailing anymore!
I can stick up for Carnival in this situation because they have no control over the wind.

Your comment about "own filth and little food" is inaccurate based on first hand accounts of people who were on the ship but were not looking for a news headline. Regardless, I have never defended Carnival for what happened on the Triumph since the investigation is not complete. I think it's ridiculous to demonize them because a ship broke away from a mooring line in 70 mph wind, which is what happened yesterday.

Carnival Cruise Lines did not have a captain that grounded a ship, Costa did...which is under the umbrella of Carnival Corporation. That's like blaming Tropicana for something Quaker did since they are both owned by PepsiCo.

It's no use discussing it with some people as they seem dead set on blaming Carnival for anything. My point was....a ship breaking away from a mooring line in 70 mph wind is not an issue that would typically get anyones feathers ruffled but TWO ships in the same line failing CDC cleanliness inspections in a month's time is absolutely something cruisers should be paying attention to. Unfortunately, too many people are only able to grasp the sensationalized stories fed to them by a media only capable of grabbing the low hanging fruit.
__________________
ilovetexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:46 AM   #17
justmestace



Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean
 
justmestace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Cave Creek, Arizona
Posts: 26,992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper View Post
Most know I am not a Carnival fan!

However in this case its NOT Carnivals fault!. When a vessel is in the shipyard the safety of the vessel is the responsibility of the shipyard, not the owners or line.

AKK

EXACTLY! I think the headlines and the thread title should read more along the lines of SHIPYARD MESS UP.
justmestace is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 04-04-2013, 09:49 AM   #18
Rogillio
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Alabama
Posts: 2,031

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetexas View Post
I can stick up for Carnival in this situation because they have no control over the wind.

Your comment about "own filth and little food" is inaccurate based on first hand accounts of people who were on the ship but were not looking for a news headline. Regardless, I have never defended Carnival for what happened on the Triumph since the investigation is not complete. I think it's ridiculous to demonize them because a ship broke away from a mooring line in 70 mph wind, which is what happened yesterday.

Carnival Cruise Lines did not have a captain that grounded a ship, Costa did...which is under the umbrella of Carnival Corporation. That's like blaming Tropicana for something Quaker did since they are both owned by PepsiCo.

It's no use discussing it with some people as they seem dead set on blaming Carnival for anything. My point was....a ship breaking away from a mooring line in 70 mph wind is not an issue that would typically get anyones feathers ruffled but TWO ships in the same line failing CDC cleanliness inspections in a month's time is absolutely something cruisers should be paying attention to. Unfortunately, too many people are only able to grasp the sensationalized stories fed to them by a media only capable of grabbing the low hanging fruit.


Can't blame it all on the media. According to the words of one lawsuit recently filed against Carnival: "Plaintiff was forced to endure unbearable and horrendous odors on the filthy and disabled vessel, and wade through human feces in order to reach food lines where the wait was counted in hours, only to receive rations of spoiled food,".

So maybe we 'blame' lawyers or greedy passengers....but you can't blame the media for reporting the lawsuits. No one watching the news when a building didn't burn down or there was no horrific traffic accident......
__________________
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 7 days hiking in the Himilayans, Katmandu, Nepal 5/14 7-day RCCL 7/14
Rogillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:51 AM   #19
Rogillio
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Alabama
Posts: 2,031

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmestace View Post
EXACTLY! I think the headlines and the thread title should read more along the lines of SHIPYARD MESS UP.


Or maybe: "Carnival Triump cruise ship apparently cursed...."

:-)
__________________
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 7 days hiking in the Himilayans, Katmandu, Nepal 5/14 7-day RCCL 7/14
Rogillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:01 AM   #20
maria-fan-22
DIS Veteran
 
maria-fan-22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Posts: 2,316

Breakage of mooring lines happens when there is strong winds, these ships are basically giant sails. While this was NOT Carnival Cruise Lines, or Carnival Corps. fault, I can see how seeing so many incidents with the Triumph would allow people to think that she is cursed.

I do repeat, this is NOT Carnivals fault, but they may want to consider re-naming and/or re-christening.
__________________


I'm on Twitter! @DCLdude

http://dcldude.webs.com/
maria-fan-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:16 AM   #21
tinkerone
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,204

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmestace View Post
EXACTLY! I think the headlines and the thread title should read more along the lines of SHIPYARD MESS UP.
the headline reads 'more carnival problems' which is accurate. it may not be a problem of their making but it is a problem. their ship was damaged and it sounds like possibly extensive damage. the title is just fine, states a fact that is hard to dispute.
if you argue that its not a carnival problem because it was the winds, you can't argue its a shipyard mess up. it was an act of god pure and simple. no ones fault but a problem for carnival none the less.
I actually feel sorry for the bad press the cruise lines are getting. as previously stated, some of it is wrong. the part that is right, well, we need to learn from our mistakes. I hope they do.
tinkerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:27 AM   #22
foohpah
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 409

Yes lets all blame Carnival for the wind. We should never cruise any line that has such a thing happen.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....breaks+mooring
__________________
Rebecca


Next trip: WDW and Universal - June/July 2014

WDW - Dec 1999, May 2000, Jan 2001, May 2001, Feb 2004, Feb 2006, Nov 2007, Jun 2009, May 2010, Jun 2011
DCL - Wonder - Feb 2006, Magic - Dec 2006 & Dec 2008, Dream - Jun 2011, Fantasy - Nov 2012
foohpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:33 AM   #23
EPCOTatNight
I am the Polynesian Parking guy and the Original DISard of Oz.
 
EPCOTatNight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: New Orleans, La
Posts: 1,960

Quote:
Originally Posted by foohpah View Post
Yes lets all blame Carnival for the wind. We should never cruise any line that has such a thing happen.
Who blamed them for the wind?

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
__________________
(8/2006 ASMo) (8/2007 Pop) (5/2009 3 night Wonder) (12/2009 ASM/Pop) (1/2011 Pop) (1/2012 CSR/WL) (1/2013 ASMo/4 night Dream) (5/2013 6 night Magic*Galveston*) (12/2013 7 night Fantasy) (3/2014 SSR) (8/2014 BLT/AKV) (1/2015 7 night Magic)





EPCOTatNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:35 AM   #24
Rogillio
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Alabama
Posts: 2,031

Quote:
Originally Posted by foohpah View Post
Yes lets all blame Carnival for the wind. We should never cruise any line that has such a thing happen.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....breaks+mooring


The only reason this is news is because of the recent problems with that ship. Otherwise, it would have warrented one small paragraph on page 12 of the Travel and Leisure section of the local paper.
__________________
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 7 days hiking in the Himilayans, Katmandu, Nepal 5/14 7-day RCCL 7/14
Rogillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:43 AM   #25
justmestace



Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean
 
justmestace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Cave Creek, Arizona
Posts: 26,992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogillio View Post
The only reason this is news is because of the recent problems with that ship. Otherwise, it would have warrented one small paragraph on page 12 of the Travel and Leisure section of the local paper.

And my question would be: "Why is it news ON HERE?"


As seen in the link above, this same thing HAS happened on a Disney ship, so why is there even a thread about the Triumph on the DIS?
I know, my question is redundant, because we all know the answer. Yet another opportunity to point fingers at Carnival.
justmestace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:44 AM   #26
ilovetexas
DIS Veteran
 
ilovetexas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Suburban Atlanta
Posts: 1,308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogillio View Post
The only reason this is news is because of the recent problems with that ship. Otherwise, it would have warrented one small paragraph on page 12 of the Travel and Leisure section of the local paper.
I wouldn't have an issue IF they were reporting it honestly. I just heard it on WSB radio here in ATL and while they mentioned Carnival, and the Triumph, and the problems at sea in February, and the ship breaking off its mooring lines....they conveniently neglected to mention that there were winds just short of hurricane force that caused it to happen.

Attention Pond Scum Journalists: Get off your lazy rear ends and go dig up a real story instead of leaving out pertinent details to make the one you're reporting sound more interesting than it really is.
__________________
ilovetexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:46 AM   #27
justmestace



Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean
 
justmestace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Cave Creek, Arizona
Posts: 26,992

Quote:
Originally Posted by foohpah View Post


In big red letters.......


THIS HAS HAPPENED TO DISNEY CRUISE LINE TOO!!!


Point being.....it can happen to any ship at any time......big deal.
justmestace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:55 AM   #28
tinkerone
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,204

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmestace View Post
And my question would be: "Why is it news ON HERE?"


As seen in the link above, this same thing HAS happened on a Disney ship, so why is there even a thread about the Triumph on the DIS?
I know, my question is redundant, because we all know the answer. Yet another opportunity to point fingers at Carnival.
that seems a tad bitter. its a news story about a ship and the story is on a cruising site. yes, its primarily a Disney site however I have seen lots of stories and questions about other lines on here. some good, some not so good.
as you pointed out there is a link above that shows it has happened to a Disney ship. no one tried to hide the fact it did. this is not some big conspiracy to hide all Disney flaws and promote the worst of other lines.
it seems to me your the one who makes this about finger pointing. anytime someone says something about problems with non Disney ships you say its finger pointing and make an issue out of it. this is the DIS. people are mostly on here because they love Disney so please do not make them feel bad about it. we have every bit as much right to love DCL as we do to love/not love other lines.
its only a story about a problem with a ship. lets leave it there.
tinkerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:56 AM   #29
Rogillio
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Alabama
Posts: 2,031

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmestace View Post
And my question would be: "Why is it news ON HERE?"


As seen in the link above, this same thing HAS happened on a Disney ship, so why is there even a thread about the Triumph on the DIS?
I know, my question is redundant, because we all know the answer. Yet another opportunity to point fingers at Carnival.

I guess becuase it it cruise industry news that is all over the new pages. The only 'link' to DCL is that Carival is a competitor to DCL and what happens to the competition has the potential to effect DCL. In this case, it might drive up DCL prices as more people decided they don't want to sail on Carnival.
__________________
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 7 days hiking in the Himilayans, Katmandu, Nepal 5/14 7-day RCCL 7/14
Rogillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:04 AM   #30
EPCOTatNight
I am the Polynesian Parking guy and the Original DISard of Oz.
 
EPCOTatNight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: New Orleans, La
Posts: 1,960

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmestace View Post

In big red letters.......

THIS HAS HAPPENED TO DISNEY CRUISE LINE TOO!!!


Point being.....it can happen to any ship at any time......big deal.
Why wasn't it bigger news when it happened on the Wonder? Maybe because the Wonder hadn't recently lost power and needed to be towed to port. Or because the Magic hadn't had the same problem 3 years earlier. Or because the Dream didn't have propulsion problems and had to cut cruisers vacation short. You act as if DCL doesn't get criticized. Do you not remember what happened less than a year ago with Hurricane Sandy? Carnival has had issues recently. That's why it's news. Just like it's news if someone leaves a brown paper bag outside of a building in New York.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
__________________
(8/2006 ASMo) (8/2007 Pop) (5/2009 3 night Wonder) (12/2009 ASM/Pop) (1/2011 Pop) (1/2012 CSR/WL) (1/2013 ASMo/4 night Dream) (5/2013 6 night Magic*Galveston*) (12/2013 7 night Fantasy) (3/2014 SSR) (8/2014 BLT/AKV) (1/2015 7 night Magic)





EPCOTatNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.