Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2013, 03:12 PM   #1
Weedy
DIS Veteran

More Carnival Problems

At least no passengers were on the ship

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-...ck-in-alabama/
Weedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:19 PM   #2
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Most know I am not a Carnival fan!

However in this case its NOT Carnivals fault!. When a vessel is in the shipyard the safety of the vessel is the responsibility of the shipyard, not the owners or line.

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-03-2013, 05:48 PM   #3
NurseDave
Mouseketeer

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3090651
Old 04-03-2013, 07:26 PM   #4
KPetty725
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy View Post
At least no passengers were on the ship

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-...ck-in-alabama/
I've never sailed on Carnival and now never will. I think it's time for this ship to be decommissioned. It seems destined to have/be trouble!

KPetty725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:32 PM   #5
declansdad
DIS Dad#639
Still waiting for his first one

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPetty725 View Post
I've never sailed on Carnival and now never will. I think it's time for this ship to be decommissioned. It seems destined to have/be trouble!

To each their own but this was not carnival's doing.
ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds
DIS Dads Club Member #639

Our WDW photos on Photobucket, Our WDW photos on Flickr

declansdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:51 PM   #6
clten
DIS Veteran

Whether this is Carnival's fault or not, they may need to rename and re-christen this ship once it is fixed and ready to sail again! Remember, they say bad thing happen in 3's.
clten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:31 PM   #7
ilovetexas
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPetty725 View Post
How is it Carnival's fault that the wind was blowing 70 mph in Mobile? Or the ship's fault?

It's the stupid media and the public that feeds off nonsense/sensational headlines. I'm far more disgusted/concerned about not one but TWO Celebrity ships failing CDC cleanliness inspections in less than a month.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5297

I don't see the lamestream media reporting that one! As sensational as the Triumph issue in February was, it impacted FAR fewer people than a couple of dirty/unsanitary ships would.

A ship coming loose from its mooring lines doesn't bother me....a sick employee continuing to work and a galley employee with no access to a restroom or toilet paper REALLY bothers me.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:36 PM   #8
sonnyjane
DIS Veteran

I'm leaving on a 5-night cruise on Saturday with Carnival. It's been booked for months (prior to all the "incidents") and is non-refundable. Luckily my friend and I have a good sense of humor about it... For example I'm packing my solar phone charger and we have joked with our bosses about potentially not returning. I don't know enough facts about ANY of the Carnival incidents as of late to either condemn them or exonerate them, but I do not believe that this most recent event was in any way their fault. The media will take things like this and run with them.
sonnyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:21 AM   #9
Camonkeygirl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyjane View Post
I'm leaving on a 5-night cruise on Saturday with Carnival. It's been booked for months (prior to all the "incidents") and is non-refundable. Luckily my friend and I have a good sense of humor about it... For example I'm packing my solar phone charger and we have joked with our bosses about potentially not returning. I don't know enough facts about ANY of the Carnival incidents as of late to either condemn them or exonerate them, but I do not believe that this most recent event was in any way their fault. The media will take things like this and run with them.
I know your boss will miss you though. What a great way to end play days. Have a great time, if I don't see you before you leave
Old 04-04-2013, 04:22 AM   #10
jpeppers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetexas View Post
How is it Carnival's fault that the wind was blowing 70 mph in Mobile? Or the ship's fault?

It's the stupid media and the public that feeds off nonsense/sensational headlines. I'm far more disgusted/concerned about not one but TWO Celebrity ships failing CDC cleanliness inspections in less than a month.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5297

I don't see the lamestream media reporting that one! As sensational as the Triumph issue in February was, it impacted FAR fewer people than a couple of dirty/unsanitary ships would.

A ship coming loose from its mooring lines doesn't bother me....a sick employee continuing to work and a galley employee with no access to a restroom or toilet paper REALLY bothers me.
How do you stick up for Carnival at this point? Yes, this probably wasn't there fault but leaving the passengers on the ship during the last incident in there own filth with little food is outrageous. Not to mention having a captain who felt it was a good idea to take the boat close to shore so he could wave at people (and grounding the boat). From what I've seen Carnival is cheap and looks like a great party until you have to swim.......they have no business sailing anymore!
jpeppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:34 AM   #11
declansdad
DIS Dad#639
Still waiting for his first one

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeppers View Post
How do you stick up for Carnival at this point? Yes, this probably wasn't there fault but leaving the passengers on the ship during the last incident in there own filth with little food is outrageous. Not to mention having a captain who felt it was a good idea to take the boat close to shore so he could wave at people (and grounding the boat). From what I've seen Carnival is cheap and looks like a great party until you have to swim.......they have no business sailing anymore!

Please don't start with the "leaving the passengers on the ship" argument. That was proven to be a terrible idea and completely unsafe.

If you have never sailed with Carnival you don't really know what their cruises are like.
ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds
DIS Dads Club Member #639

Our WDW photos on Photobucket, Our WDW photos on Flickr

declansdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:04 AM   #12
cieslack
Mouseketeer

It is absolutely fair to be critical of Carnival for their recent problems with their vessels. It is also fair to report on their problems. It is also reasonable to defend them if you wish. What isn't appropriate, IMHO, is to try to shut down either side of the argument with unsupported generalizations. Having said that, my understanding from the Captain of the Wonder is that the Carnival ship that went dark and adrift had only one circuit board that caught fire. The emergency generators were wired to the lights, but not the toilets. The Disney ships have redundancy in the circuit boards and either of two can power the ship if the other is damaged. The toilets are wired to the emergency generators as well.

The cruise lines are responsible for the ships they operate, and if there is an aspect of their design or maintenance that makes them vulnerable to a failure of some sort, and that failure occurs, it is fair to be critical.
cieslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:16 AM   #13
Rogillio
DIS Veteran

I agree they need to rename that ship. Even though it was not Carnival's fault, people see that ship in the news.....again...and when they go to book a cruise Triumph is one name they will recognize and not in a good way.

I read where the first lawsuit against Carnival has been filed recently. I can see the name "Triumph" will be in the news for some time.

I don't know what the 'process' is for renaming a ship but I would think a "major refurb" would be a good excuse to renamer her.
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 7 days hiking in the Himilayans, Katmandu, Nepal 5/14 7-day RCCL 7/14
Rogillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:41 AM   #14
emeraldluvsbama
Earning My Ears

This was only mother nature's fault. The winds were gusting at hurricane force yesterday in Mobile. It was crazy! Let's just pray for the missing shipyard employee that was knocked off the dock. They have search and rescue out there but still have not found him. He was not wearing a life jacket (against regulations).
emeraldluvsbama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:20 AM   #15
mickey2000
Pin trader

[
][/URL]][/URL][
mickey2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: