Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2013, 08:48 AM   #1
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

I need to get started but how

I leave for the airport 730am Sunday so how do you get motivated when getting ready to leave on vacation?
tinkerbellandeeyor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:56 AM   #2
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Get the suitcases out, make a checklist, & shop for "vacation essentials".
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-10-2013, 08:59 AM   #3
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mystery Machine View Post
Thanks I guess I should add getting off my lazy but
Old 07-10-2013, 09:22 AM   #4
scrapquitler
DIS Veteran

Get out your kitchen timer or use the timer on your cellphone. Set it for 15 minutes and commit to working on getting packed/organized for JUST 15 minutes. Then do something fun for 15 minutes and decide if you can muster up enough energy for 15 more minutes of packing and organizing.

I use the 15 minutes on/15 minutes off with all my tasks that I don't really want to do or can't motivate myself to get started with. Usually once I actually start and do the first 15 minutes I keep going and finish the task, but if I really still don't want to, I have permission from myself not to.
scrapquitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:38 AM   #5
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapquitler View Post
Get out your kitchen timer or use the timer on your cellphone. Set it for 15 minutes and commit to working on getting packed/organized for JUST 15 minutes. Then do something fun for 15 minutes and decide if you can muster up enough energy for 15 more minutes of packing and organizing.

I use the 15 minutes on/15 minutes off with all my tasks that I don't really want to do or can't motivate myself to get started with. Usually once I actually start and do the first 15 minutes I keep going and finish the task, but if I really still don't want to, I have permission from myself not to.
I found that too I found that once I get the music going I can get going I got the clothes starred I. The was

Ps

Can I pack a bag in a bag
Old 07-10-2013, 09:45 AM   #6
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbellandeeyor View Post
Can I pack a bag in a bag
Of course.
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:48 AM   #7
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon View Post
Of course.
Thanks I try to be a rule type A follower and I am not always successful at it so I am known to ask stupid questions to make sure I am in line
Old 07-10-2013, 09:51 AM   #8
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mystery Machine View Post
Old 07-10-2013, 09:53 AM   #9
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

First, sit down and list out exactly what you're going to need as far as packing goes. Then, go get that stuff and lay it out. If I pack too early, I end up putting more stuff in because I start doubting myself.
You need to be all packed by Saturday afternoon. Give yourself plenty of time to get to the airport about 2.5 hrs prior to your flight departure.
Sounds as if you aren't looking forward to this trip. That makes it hard to get motivated.
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:57 AM   #10
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
First, sit down and list out exactly what you're going to need as far as packing goes. Then, go get that stuff and lay it out. If I pack too early, I end up putting more stuff in because I start doubting myself.
You need to be all packed by Saturday afternoon. Give yourself plenty of time to get to the airport about 2.5 hrs prior to your flight departure.
Sounds as if you aren't looking forward to this trip. That makes it hard to get motivated.
No been looking forward to it for 25 years almost but my problem is I make things harder then they have to be then when all said and done i am like wow not bad at all I can't belvedere I did it.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:13 AM   #11
cluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

I never need motivation to get ready for vacation!

But seriously, there's a lot to get ready before you go. I usually make a list of what I want to bring plus a schedule of what needs to get done. The list of things to bring includes everything I can think of (chargers, tweezers, toothpaste, pj's, etc) and as it comes together, I'll check to make sure I have those things and add a shopping trip to the schedule if needed. I tend to do laundry a day or two before I want to pack. The day before I go through my list and lay out all my outfits then toss it all in a suitcase.

You'll be ready! Once you get started, you'll be fine!

Have a great trip!
cluvsdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:27 AM   #12
NFLDERS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbellandeeyor View Post
No been looking forward to it for 25 years almost but my problem is I make things harder then they have to be then when all said and done i am like wow not bad at all I can't belvedere I did it.
As I'm getting old"er" Tee! Hee! I find it harder. But, I've found that when I reverted back to what I did in Christmas rotation dinners, that would mean around 20 guests, this worked again for me.

Lists for Day 3 days of tasks

Starting with Day 3, (least important) Day 2 (important) then Day 1 Checklist of "all important" tasks

This way I'm not feeling overwhelmed.

Hope you find your motivation, lots of good suggestions on this thread. Have a great Vacation!
NFLDERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:30 AM   #13
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

Thanks everyone
Old 07-10-2013, 10:31 AM   #14
Nancyg56
DIS Veteran

I think I make things harder when I travel by setting a list of things that I NEED to do before I leave. For some reason, i can't vacation unless the house is spotless, the laundry is totally done, the beds are changed, the floors polished, the basement clean. The whole thing overwhelms me, and I have only myself to blame.
Tink- make a list of the things you want to do before you leave, lay your clothes and toiletries out, and try to plan to have it all done the afternoon before you are set to leave. This gives you time to relax and enjoy.

I have to say that CT is a nice State to visit, even if I do live here myself. Have you narrowed down the places you are going to see? I always look forward to knowing someone is coming to my home state, and like to know what tourists find interesting. For instance, I lived 5 minutes from the Trolley Museum, and never visited it. Newgate Prison is another place I never saw, and live so near it. It is closed for renovation, but I am making sure I get there when it reopens next May.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:48 AM   #15
FINFAN
Mom to Tinkbell
Makes the best Apple Pie on her block!
My driver's license will say "Florida Resident" one day!
I blame Jaws

MUSIC! That and the fact that I am getting the heck outta dodge is motivator enough for me. Maybe choose the outfit for the day you are looking most forward to? That may get the ball rolling. Get the fun stuff done first so you get moving then tackle the blah stuff like the housecleaning, then the services you need to stop (if any) set timers for lights etc...and stay off the computer/phone/tablet...whatever will distract you. My friend used to pack while wearing her bathing suit, lol...she said that it allowed her to see just how it really fit while moving around and if she needed to get a different one before her trip~ she always bought a new one, lol...that covered more!
Dan's IN to the Hall of Fame!

FINFAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: