Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2013, 02:35 PM   #1
HealthyDisneyGuide
always planning the next trip!

Alaska excursions - Skagway Musher's Camp & Sled Dog vs. Juneau Sled Dog Summer Camp?

Can anyone help me figure out the difference between DCL's sled dog "cart" excursions?

Skagway offers a Musher's Camp & Sled Dog Experience and Juneau has a Sled Dog Summer Camp. What on earth is different between them besides one is in Skagway and one is in Juneau? Can anyone recommend or dis-recommend either?

We're cruising with two nine-year-old boys, one just LOVES animals of all types, so our priority is seeing the "behind the scenes" part of the camp and learning about how the dogs are cared for. The helicopter trips focused on the dog camps are all filled up and out of our price range anyway.
HealthyDisneyGuide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:47 PM   #2
amyg1
Mouseketeer

We did one in Juneau two years ago. I don't think there is a difference, honestly. Just different companies running it. I thought it was expensive for what it was. Having said that, my son is still talking about holding the new puppy. We're doing Alaska again, and planning on one of us doing it with him because that was his favorite excursion.

I would look at what you want to do at the ports, and pick the port based on the other excursions. One of us is going to take him in Skagway next time, because we really want to go to the Mendenhall Glacier when we are in Juneau.
amyg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-03-2013, 04:23 PM   #3
NWmom
DIS Veteran

Longer port time in Skagway.

I think the two companies night even be connected.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:43 PM   #4
Luv_Tink
Mouseketeer

They are the same company so I would assume the experience would be similar. Their website is www.alaskaexcursions.com in case you want to book directly.

We did the one in Skagway and it was the highlight of our cruise, especially for my three dog loving DDs. You are picked up at the dock by their staff in a small passenger bus, the ride to the camp takes about 20 minutes or so and a good portion is on gravel roads with beautiful scenery. When you arrive at the "base camp" there are restrooms, a campfire, puppies and a small gift shop. You then board unimog vehicles which are large open-air 4x4's. My husband and daughter got to sit in the cab with the driver and talk 4x4's during the entire drive up the mountain to where the dog teams reside. You learn a lot on the ride up about how the operation works and the dogs are cared for, etc. At the top, everyone gets assigned to a cart with a musher and team of dogs. Each cart seats 6, I think. My husband got to stand on the back with the musher for what was a wild ride around the training trail they have. My girls screamed and had a blast the entire time. You then get to meet the team of dogs and learn more about them from their musher. On the trip down the hill, we stopped at an overlook that had an amazing view of the valley below. Once back at the base camp we learned more about how mushers prepare for races and the equipment they use and there was plenty of time for questions. We got to hold some puppies and get plenty of snuggles and puppy kisses before heading back to the ship. There is plenty of time for pictures during the entire excursion.

Previous Trips: 2000 Honeymoon at WDW Polynesian & Disney Wonder; 2003 Wilderness Lodge; 2004 Christmas at AKL & GF; 2005 Wilderness Lodge; 2006 Disneyland; 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska

In the Works: Christmas in the FW Cabins! Dec 13-26
Luv_Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:16 PM   #5
son3disfan
DIS Veteran

AlaskaExcursions.com is an independent tour agency, booking excursions throughout Alaska.

I prefer to book directly.

Here us the direct link to the Skagway Musher camp.

http://www.cariboucrossing.ca/dog-cart.html

I can't comment on the differences between the Juneau and Skagway company sorry. But as NWmom stated, Skagway has a longer port time so we are going to visit the musher camp there.
Prices are listed in the link as well.
I should add, we are renting a jeep and will travel there at our own pace.
The tour companies provide a ride at a very inflated price...

DISNEY CRUISES:
Wonder2008/ Magic Eastern2009
Magic Western2010/Wonder Mexican Riviera2011
Magic Eastern2012/ Wonder Alaska2013
son3disfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:30 PM   #6
Luv_Tink
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by son3disfan View Post
AlaskaExcursions.com is an independent tour agency, booking excursions throughout Alaska.

I prefer to book directly.

Here us the direct link to the Skagway Musher camp.

http://www.cariboucrossing.ca/dog-cart.html

I can't comment on the differences between the Juneau and Skagway company sorry. But as NWmom stated, Skagway has a longer port time so we are going to visit the musher camp there.
Prices are listed in the link as well.
I should add, we are renting a jeep and will travel there at our own pace.
The tour companies provide a ride at a very inflated price...
FYI - Alaska Excursions and the Caribou Crossing experience are different companies and locations. Caribou Crossing is located after you cross the border into Canada in the Yukon Territory. The camp we went to with Alaska Excursions is still located in Alaska, just outside of Skagway in Dyea. You get some great history of Dyea and Skagway on the ride to camp. When you book with Alaska Excursions, you are booking directly with the camp. I'm actually looking at their business card on my desk as I type this.

Previous Trips: 2000 Honeymoon at WDW Polynesian & Disney Wonder; 2003 Wilderness Lodge; 2004 Christmas at AKL & GF; 2005 Wilderness Lodge; 2006 Disneyland; 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska

In the Works: Christmas in the FW Cabins! Dec 13-26
Luv_Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:22 PM   #7
son3disfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv_Tink View Post
FYI - Alaska Excursions and the Caribou Crossing experience are different companies and locations. Caribou Crossing is located after you cross the border into Canada in the Yukon Territory. The camp we went to with Alaska Excursions is still located in Alaska, just outside of Skagway in Dyea. You get some great history of Dyea and Skagway on the ride to camp. When you book with Alaska Excursions, you are booking directly with the camp. I'm actually looking at their business card on my desk as I type this.
I wasn't aware Dyea had a mushers camp as well. Good to know.
Now that makes three for the OP to compare.

To the OP, you might want to look into renting a car, and venture out on your own to visit the camp you decide on. Big savings...
To visit Caribou Crossing, it's 39.00 a person for a cart ride.
Gives you admission to the museum as well, and you can visit with the puppies too. Just need to pay for a rental car.($100) as that gives you an oppurtunity to visit other places as well.
For us, a family of 5, the savings are huge.
To book with the tour company I believe it was $129 a person /$89 for kids.

Total for us to book with the tour company -
$605

Total to book on our own ($195 for visit to camp/ admission and $100 for car)
$295
Huge savings

DISNEY CRUISES:
Old 04-04-2013, 07:53 AM   #8
HealthyDisneyGuide

Quote:

To the OP, you might want to look into renting a car, and venture out on your own to visit the camp you decide on. Big savings...
Gives you admission to the museum as well, and you can visit with the puppies too.
After looking at ~74,012 different options for excursions in both Juneau & Skagway, we've decided to book a tour with Dyea Dave that will stop at Caribou Crossing as well as several other places. We'll ride the train back down to Skagway in the afternoon. Hopefully, it's enough dog interaction to delight our boys.

I'm allergic to anything with fur, so it's all for them! I'm also not big on booking the cruise line's excursions, but was willing to consider these. I've never had a problem booking private tours in Alaska, the Caribbean, or even Southeast Asia and the savings is often considerable!
Old 04-04-2013, 09:23 AM   #9
MagicMe
DIS Veteran

Since we wanted to do the whole train thing in Skagway, we opted to do the summer dog sled in Juneau. We loved it. When we arrived at the camp they first had us go on the dog sled. The dogs were very excited to see us. After the dog sled portion, we were introduced to each of the dogs with a quick background on them. We then went to an area were they had one dog and the trainer told us more detailed information on the dog (the boots they wear, etc) and the dog came around to each of us. After that we went to another section where a sledder showed us sleds and showed equipment used during the races and talked about experiences on the races. After that we got to see the puppies and hold them. We thoroughly enjoyed it.
Disney Dream/AKL - JUL14; Disney Fantasy - SEP12; Disney Dream/OKW - OCT11; Disney Wonder - Alaska AUG11; Disney Magic WBTA - Sep10; Disney Magic - Sep08; WL - Dec07-MVMCP; OKW - Oct/Nov06-MNSSHP; Disney Wonder - Aug06; OKW - Sept05; Disneyland - Jun04; Offsite - Dec03-MVMCP; Poly - Aug02; POR/Wonder - Aug00; POR - Jul99; And many more...

MagicMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:44 AM   #10
amyg1
Mouseketeer

The Caribou crossing is much cheaper that DCL or the other choice! It looks like it is a 1 1/2 drive from Skagway, however. What is the best way to get there? Should we rent a car or get a driver to take us?

Thank you for that link!
amyg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:52 AM   #11
HealthyDisneyGuide

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyg1 View Post
What is the best way to get there? Should we rent a car or get a driver to take us?
You can rent a car or you can take one of the many tours that combine a bus ride or train ride with a trip there. I wasn't kidding when I said I'd looked at ~74,012 different options for excursions in both Juneau & Skagway!
Old 04-04-2013, 01:01 PM   #12
son3disfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyg1 View Post
The Caribou crossing is much cheaper that DCL or the other choice! It looks like it is a 1 1/2 drive from Skagway, however. What is the best way to get there? Should we rent a car or get a driver to take us?

Thank you for that link!
Check different rental car companies (Avis comes to mind, as does National) and see if there is price for a rental you can live with. Do not be afraid to venture out on your own! You do NOT need to book with Disney. The savings booking privately can be incredible, especially with a larger group.

We are renting a jeep from a company in Skagway called GREEN JEEP TOURS.
http://www.alaskagreenjeeptours.com/

Great reviews on Cruise Critic. Then we can visit many other places, and go at our own pace.

I HAVE 3 teen boys and although I thought the train would be lovely, they thought the jeep would give us more freedom.
Hope that helps!

DISNEY CRUISES:
Old 04-04-2013, 06:20 PM   #13
EeyoreIsMyName
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ****************** View Post
Skagway offers a Musher's Camp & Sled Dog Experience and Juneau has a Sled Dog Summer Camp. What on earth is different between them besides one is in Skagway and one is in Juneau? Can anyone recommend or dis-recommend either?
I had this same question and contacted the company who offers both of these tours. They told me they were basically the same except for the suspension bridge to view the rainforest at one of them (Juneau, if I remember correctly). Both talk about the sled dog experience and equipment and offer an opportunity to meet the puppies.
EeyoreIsMyName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:21 PM   #14
dizneekrazee
Fullfilling my bucket list, one vacation at a time....

Quote:
I wasn't aware Dyea had a mushers camp as well. Good to know.
Now that makes three for the OP to compare.

Gives you admission to the museum as well, and you can visit with the puppies too. Just need to pay for a rental car.($100) as that gives you an oppurtunity to visit other places as well.
For us, a family of 5, the savings are huge.
To book with the tour company I believe it was $129 a person /$89 for kids.

Total for us to book with the tour company -
$605

Total to book on our own ($195 for visit to camp/ admission and $100 for car)
$295
Huge savings
This is a fantastic idea
We are also a family of 5. We want to do one of the railway adventures combined with the dog carts.

DLR-Many times!!WDWTBD DCLfingers crossed for 10/15
Walt Disney Family Museum 3/12Club 33 8/12, 5/13, 8/13Pixar Animation Studios 1/13Aulani 4/13Walt's Apartment 5/13
dizneekrazee is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: