Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2013, 03:12 PM   #1
stczt
DIS Veteran

St. Louis Area

Dh may finally have a job in Earth City MO. so I was hoping to get some feedback on the area, good places to start looking and places to avoid. We'll have 2 in high school so good schools are important. Thank you.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:23 PM   #2
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

My first instinct would be St Charles County.
Register to remove

Old 04-04-2013, 03:32 PM   #3
LuLuO
I am against mandatory fun

Yes, St. Charles County - St. Charles, St. Peters, O'Fallon, Weldon Spring, Dardenne Prairie, Wentzville.

We live in unincorporated St. Charles County, about 10-15 minutes from Earth City. We are in Francis Howell school district.

Message me if you have any questions about particular areas.
"When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say, 'Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.' To this day, especially in times of disaster, I remember my mother’s words, and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers–so many caring people in this world." - Fred Rogers
LuLuO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:41 PM   #4
Lilliputian
DIS Veteran

We're moving the St Louis area in two weeks. We're renting an apartment in Maryland Heights (very close to his office) at first because we still have to find a house to buy. We looked around last week in all the snow, but we didn't find anything that blew us away and made us want to write an offer.

We're still trying to decide between Chesterfield/Wildwood and St. Charles/O'Fallon. The former gives us a house with more land and less of a cookie-cutter subdivision, but everything we can afford is a little older and not always very updated. The second gives us a newer house, but the subdivision will have smaller lots. I think that we'll probably end up in St Charles, O'Fallon, or one of the towns around there, but I hope we can find a house on a nicer, bigger lot that overlooks some trees instead of being stacked on top of another houses. We want to be close to the Page Ave, since my husband's office is right off of it, but you'll probably want to be close to 70.

Schools aren't really important to us, since we homeschool, but we do want to make sure that we're in a good district for resale purposes. I just realized that our realtor has told us that several of the school districts are really good, but she hasn't told us which ones aren't and which to stay away from. I'll have to ask her.
Lilliputian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:19 PM   #5
LuLuO
I am against mandatory fun

Being close to Page (364) in the St. Charles area will be fine for Earth City. Just hop on 364 East exit on to Maryland Heights Expy and take that North to Earth City. 364 to 94 to 70 works also. Both relatively easy commutes. If you are further west, like O'fallon or Wentzville, you can take 70 to 370 to Earth City.

When we looked for a house, we wanted an area that was between 70, 40, 270 and the Missouri River.
"When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say, 'Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.' To this day, especially in times of disaster, I remember my mother’s words, and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers–so many caring people in this world." - Fred Rogers
LuLuO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:45 PM   #6
E&BMom
DIS Veteran

We live in Kirkwood and love the high school, Kirkwood High School. DD graduated last year and DS is a Freshman. The houses are older ( there are newer ones too). We really love the area!!!
Good luck!!

1972, WDW/Contemporary; 1990, WDW/Offsite; 2000, March/WDW/Caribbean Beach; 2002, Jul/WDW/Caribbean Beach; 2003, Nov/Disney Wonder & WDW/Caribbean Beach; 2004, Nov/WDW/Port Orleans French Quarter;2005, March/Disney Magic, Western; 2005, October/ WDW/Beach Club; 2006, Jun/WDW/POFQ and Disney Magic Eastern;2006,Dec./WDW/POFQ, Christmas; DL/DLH Apr 2007;2008, Jun WDW/POFQ and DCL/WONDER double dip and B2B ; 2008, Nov,WDW/Poly Thanksgiving 2008,Jun 2009 WDW/AKL,Dec 2009 Christmas at WDW/Poly and 2009-2010 NYE DCL Magic, Spring Break at BC 2010, May 2010 GF ,Thanksgiving 2010 POFQ, March 2011 BC CL, May 2011 BWI, DCL Dream Thanksgiving 2011, June 2012 AKL, Nov 2012 BW, March 2013 BC
E&BMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:55 PM   #7
Procrastinate
Mouseketeer

Here is a link to Missouri Assessment Program scores for schools:
http://mcds.dese.mo.gov/quickfacts/S...trictInfo.aspx
Procrastinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:13 PM   #8
Lilliputian
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrastinate View Post
Here is a link to Missouri Assessment Program scores for schools:
http://mcds.dese.mo.gov/quickfacts/S...trictInfo.aspx
Thank you!
Lilliputian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:25 AM   #9
stczt
DIS Veteran

Thank You all for your help. When we went for the interview we stayed in Collinsville because his first interview was in Fairview Heights and we liked that area, then dh got the unplanned interview in Earth City so we were trying to decide wither to live in Missouri or Illinois. A 30 min drive would be a welcomed change from a hour and half drive everyday.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:49 AM   #10
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stczt View Post
Dh may finally have a job in Earth City MO. so I was hoping to get some feedback on the area, good places to start looking and places to avoid. We'll have 2 in high school so good schools are important. Thank you.
Well, where you go to HS in St. Louis is the million dollar question for the rest of your life. It will be one of first things someone asks you and I am not joking.

If you are Catholic, you go to a Catholic HS. Those are the selections for private HS's for the most part here.

If you are not, you can still go but your kids will have to do religious instruction.

Now we got that out of the way....

Rockwood is the biggest district. That is where we are at now. IF your kids took AP classes already this is where you are going to find out that your kid's credits are going to transfer better. Obviously double check that with schools YOU are looking at.

In TX my dd was able to take many AP classes. My oldest transferred in her Senior Yr (we had a brief stint in TX for 3yrs) and the schools in St. Charles County would not count her AP classes as "AP" since they did not offer those classes in their HS.

So we went to Rockwood so she could maintain her GPA she earned.

I did not look into Kirkwood, Parkway however.

Before you look into where to live, figure out credit transfer at those HS's. I would contact admissions to the districts you are looking at because it will alter your child's GPA.

In addition they do not accept "waivers" for PE if you have those. Your kids will have to take 1 credit of PE (2 semesters) and 1/2 credit of health if they have not taken it yet.

St. Charles County obviously would be easier to go to considering the fact that you are looking at Earth City. Just make sure you scrutinize the 3 major districts with credit transfer which are St. Charles, Fort Zumwalt, and Wentzville.

Good Luck!
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:35 PM   #11
Mokat76
DisKat

If you work in MO and live in IL I think you have to pay income taxes in both, so be very careful before you make that decision. That could be old info now, but find out before you commit.

Commutes in the STL area can vary wildly. If you're in Earth City, the St Charles side of the MO River probably is easiest (far better schools, too), though the I-70 commute can get hairy. Coming in from West or South County would be a non-starter for me. Too much traffic. None of the North St. Louis County school districts are worth a hoot anymore, so don't settle in North Co on the STL side of the MO River. St Louis City schools are a disaster. Run away.
Mokat76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:50 PM   #12
NotUrsula
DIS Veteran

And for a little humor on the "Where'd you go to school?" topic, here is the Riverfront Times' (our local alternative weekly newspaper) flow chart on high school selection: http://media.riverfronttimes.com/7642101.0.pdf

I especially like: "Is your dad a lawyer?" Y/N "If no, does your dad OWN lawyers?" (FWIW, the "yes" answers to those questions are Clayton and Ladue, respectively).

While this chart is meant to be humorous, there is a grain of truth in it. In St. Louis, the HS question is something of a shorthand socioeconomic and religious background check, and the answers on the chart illustrate the stereotypes that people who did not go to the school in question may tend to believe about it.

As for SLPS, yes, for the most part they are way sub-par, but there are a few shining bright spots. Metro (acceptance by lottery only, only in 9th and 10th grade, and you have to test at a certain level and get two references to be admitted to the lottery pool) is universally considered the best public high school in the state. Metro is hellishly hard to get into (it only has 300 students), but if you do get in, you're golden.
NotUrsula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:59 PM   #13
Mokat76
DisKat

LOVE the Riverfront Times thing.
Mokat76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:02 PM   #14
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotUrsula View Post
And for a little humor on the "Where'd you go to school?" topic, here is the Riverfront Times' (our local alternative weekly newspaper) flow chart on high school selection: http://media.riverfronttimes.com/7642101.0.pdf

I especially like: "Is your dad a lawyer?" Y/N "If no, does your dad OWN lawyers?" (FWIW, the "yes" answers to those questions are Clayton and Ladue, respectively).

While this chart is meant to be humorous, there is a grain of truth in it. In St. Louis, the HS question is something of a shorthand socioeconomic and religious background check, and the answers on the chart illustrate the stereotypes that people who did not go to the school in question may tend to believe about it.

As for SLPS, yes, for the most part they are way sub-par, but there are a few shining bright spots. Metro (acceptance by lottery only, only in 9th and 10th grade, and you have to test at a certain level and get two references to be admitted to the lottery pool) is universally considered the best public high school in the state. Metro is hellishly hard to get into (it only has 300 students), but if you do get in, you're golden.
BAHAHAHA, that was funny!!!

I graduated from RIVERVIEW. I like the question...."Do you mind being educated by felons?" Oh sooo true.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:29 PM   #15
NotUrsula
DIS Veteran

Tee-hee. Yes, well, that was then and this is now.

Since I'm an adult transplant, I just go with "I'm not from St. Louis" -- baffles the heck out of people!

DH went to a school that is also on the chart in a bad light. DS goes to one that is kind of neutral, but he doesn't fit the stereotype.

A lot of the Catholic schools are missing from the chart, which is interesting, because I *know* that the RFT could have come up with good jokes about Chaminade, Cor Jesu, St. Joe's, Ursuline, Lizzie's, and Notre Dame, not to mention Trinity, JFK and Duchesne.
NotUrsula is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: