Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2013, 10:26 AM   #1
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

Just bought second Kindle-can I do this?

Unfortunately, my Kindle Fire had too much glare to read outside, so I bought a second Kindle. Can I read a book on my Kindle Fire, get (for example) 42% through, then take my regular Kindle outside, have the same book on it, and when I turn on that Kindle, it shows I'm 42% through? Did I explain that right? I just want to be able to read the book, whichever Kindle I pick up, being at the same place on both Kindles. If so, how do I do that? I think I've figured out how to at least get the same book to show up on both Kindles (I think, anyways), but will each now show the same progress as I read? Also, after I bought the second Kindle (it's the cheapest, $69 one, by the way), a lady I met on the airplane said she doesn't think I can read it in the sunlight, I should have bought the paperwhite one. Oh, pooh! I hope she's wrong!
Old 04-05-2013, 10:30 AM   #2
Piglets Mommy
New Rule:
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OP. That way when someone does the delete of nevermind edit we know what was there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba's Mom View Post
Unfortunately, my Kindle Fire had too much glare to read outside, so I bought a second Kindle. Can I read a book on my Kindle Fire, get (for example) 42% through, then take my regular Kindle outside, have the same book on it, and when I turn on that Kindle, it shows I'm 42% through? Did I explain that right? I just want to be able to read the book, whichever Kindle I pick up, being at the same place on both Kindles. If so, how do I do that? I think I've figured out how to at least get the same book to show up on both Kindles (I think, anyways), but will each now show the same progress as I read? Also, after I bought the second Kindle (it's the cheapest, $69 one, by the way), a lady I met on the airplane said she doesn't think I can read it in the sunlight, I should have bought the paperwhite one. Oh, pooh! I hope she's wrong!
Yes, you can do this. I have the basic Kindle and read in the sun all the time. My Daughter has the Fire, and while she loves the screen and all the apps, it is very hard to see in the sun. Just make sure that you "sync" the fire when you stop reading on there, and then "sync" again when you pick up your basic Kindle...that is how it will get to the right page. As long as you are in an area with wi-fi, you will be fine.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-05-2013, 10:46 AM   #3
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

I agree this should work just following the syncing tip above.

I read on my regular Kindle in the house and then read on my iPhone Kindle app when I'm out. I just have to sync each device when I get back on to read the other one.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:38 AM   #4
MomofKatie
Maybe if you leave some chocolate under your pillow the Tag Fairy will visit you!
In the second grade I looked like a mini senior citizen!
"Dairy World?" "Fairy World." "OH, DARN IT!!!"

And you have to have both Kindles registered under the same Amazon account. You will be all set! And the "basic" Kindle is perfect for reading in daylight/sunlight.
MomofKatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:50 PM   #5
sharbear
DIS Veteran

I can read a book on my iPhone, iPad and my kindle an they all sync together. Sometimes on the kindle I have to go to menu and click sync to furthest age read and it will update. You have to be connected to wifi to everything to sync though.
sharbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:48 PM   #6
Simba's Mom

Thanks-at least I know it's doable. Now I just have to figure out what synch means. I've registered both Kindles to the same account. I downloaded a book yesterday, and got it on both Kindles. The way I did that was to go to "Manage my Kindle" after it downloaded to one of my Kindles, and added it to the other Kindle. Is there an easier way? Now I'm going to start reading the book on one Kindle and see if I can figure out how to switch back and forth. A real challenge for a computer-illiterate gal like me!
Old 04-06-2013, 05:54 PM   #7
ilovejack02
what do you all think?

My ds10 has a kindle fire , I have a regular kindle . No matter what kindle I pick on Amazon , for my books it still goes to my son's kindle. I learned that quick when I down loaded some raunchy free book called the Panty Dropper around valentines day . It really wasn't 50 shades of grey raunch , but the name is awful and he was like WHAT THE HECK MOM!!!?? OPPS !!!
ilovejack02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:59 PM   #8
surfergirl602
Well you're one step ahead of me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba's Mom
Yes, you just sync to last page read. I do it all the time.
June 2006 - off site 5th year anniversary May 2008 - POR the girls' very first trip! Aug 2009 - AKL, military homecoming trip! Sept 2009 - proud DVC owners at BLT!!! Oct 2010 AKV Mar 2012 - AOA Dec 2012 - welcome home, daddy surprise trip

My Author Blog!
https://melissamackinnon.wordpress.com
surfergirl602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:22 PM   #9
MomofKatie
Maybe if you leave some chocolate under your pillow the Tag Fairy will visit you!
In the second grade I looked like a mini senior citizen!
"Dairy World?" "Fairy World." "OH, DARN IT!!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba's Mom View Post
Thanks-at least I know it's doable. Now I just have to figure out what synch means. I've registered both Kindles to the same account. I downloaded a book yesterday, and got it on both Kindles. The way I did that was to go to "Manage my Kindle" after it downloaded to one of my Kindles, and added it to the other Kindle. Is there an easier way? Now I'm going to start reading the book on one Kindle and see if I can figure out how to switch back and forth. A real challenge for a computer-illiterate gal like me!
"Syncing" is when you synchronize your 2 (or more) devices so that all your content is showing on both devices, and is updated to last page read.

How to sync:
1- make sure you are at a wifi hotspot or at home with your wifi connection and your Kindle has the wireless set to "on".
2- go to the home screen on your Fire. At the top right is the "settings" icon- looks like a little cog or sprocket. Touch it, and a settings menu will come up.
3- there will be an icon that looks like 2 arrows bent into a circle. This is the "sync" icon. Touch it. It will turn orange and the arrows will twirl around. Once they finish, you are done syncing.
4- go to the book you are reading- it should open, then a screen will come up saying "you read to ___ location on another device. Go to the furthest read location?" press yes, and it will forward to where you left off on your other device.

Hope this helps! Have fun reading!
MomofKatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:56 PM   #10
Simba's Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomofKatie View Post
"Syncing" is when you synchronize your 2 (or more) devices so that all your content is showing on both devices, and is updated to last page read.

How to sync:
1- make sure you are at a wifi hotspot or at home with your wifi connection and your Kindle has the wireless set to "on".
2- go to the home screen on your Fire. At the top right is the "settings" icon- looks like a little cog or sprocket. Touch it, and a settings menu will come up.
3- there will be an icon that looks like 2 arrows bent into a circle. This is the "sync" icon. Touch it. It will turn orange and the arrows will twirl around. Once they finish, you are done syncing.
4- go to the book you are reading- it should open, then a screen will come up saying "you read to ___ location on another device. Go to the furthest read location?" press yes, and it will forward to where you left off on your other device.

Hope this helps! Have fun reading!
Thanks! That's exactly what happened. It's kind of nice that they ask. That way if 2 members of a family have the Kindles, and both people are reading the same book and are on different pages, maybe you don't want it to change. Nice little feature.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: