Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2013, 07:28 PM   #1
Dvcmbr09
Mouseketeer

Calling all USPS employee's

I have a question to any USPS employees, what exactly is your position and what exactly are us responsible for on daily basis and do you like it? I am consider career change and would like some info
Dvcmbr09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:58 PM   #2
ez
Yoshi Lover
Alas, I have been a dvc and concierge snob (but I'll stay in a moderate if I must)

Former usps employee here, I am not going to answer your questions because I strongly suggest you look elsewhere. It was awful when I left 8 years ago and has become all the more unbearable according to my friends who still work there. Good luck in your job change.
ez is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-06-2013, 02:13 PM   #3
TifffanyD
Agreeing and making sense are not the same thing
I need to reload

My mom is a postmaster and is counting the days til she can return in June (at 55). She is not staying a day later - says the place (upper management) is making her sick!!
TifffanyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:22 PM   #4
Dvcmbr09
Mouseketeer

Thank you, that's the kind of info I been finding.
Dvcmbr09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:30 PM   #5
Beezle2
DIS Veteran

I was a rural sub for 4 years and I left 2 1/2 years ago to return to school. I came to realize I was never going to have a full time position with a decent schedule and benefits. I had to supply a vehicle that got trashed, we never got a raise for gas money when the price was going crazy, and after 4 years I never moveed one inch closer to the job I wanted because they kept moving it further away.

I'll be trained in Sonography by December and I'm glad to not be at the
Post Office!
Old 04-06-2013, 05:04 PM   #6
of the seas
Of the ccccccccc
They have the best brownies
I'm trying to get people's opinion

Run!

I've been a sub rural carrier for over 6 years and just put in my 2 weeks notice. Yes the pay is good, but it is far to stressful.

Contemporary CL and Boardwalk 2009

Wilderness Lodge 2008
of the seas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:03 AM   #7
clh2
I am the Pixie Stick NARC at my house

No personal experience - but wanted to add -

With the change in home delivery starting in August, specifically the elimination of Saturday delivery - I can't help but think with the staffing restructurings that are bound to happen - that I would not want to be low man on the totem pole. I would be much more concerned about job security.

"WONDER" ful trip 10/2003
followed by a couple of days at the Swan

I want a real countdown timer again!
clh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:26 PM   #8
Maridw
DisneyMom to Disneylover0105
Love to Dance
Tinkerbell Fan

I haven't worked for the post office for years, but it wasn't too bad when I worked there. I started right out of high school and worked two years as a carrier. This was about 35 years ago.

I was a rural carrier on one route - mostly post office boxes with about 13 on the road boxes. I loved this route. It was perfect. Then I became a sub for a larger route. We are talking a 70 mile route, half the roads were dirt roads and half the dirt roads washed out during the winter. I would do this route on weekends and when ever the other carrier was off. She was off for about a month and so I was on it full time. I hated that route. I ended up quitting because it was just too stressful and tore up my car.

I went back and trained to become a clerk (working inside only) and that wasn't too bad. But I was also training to work on one of the sorting machines and got sick and could not pass the final testing.

My dad was a city carrier for many years and liked his job. My mom was a rural carrier and then became a clerk and eventually became a postmaster. She also enjoyed her job.

There are many different jobs in the post office, from rural carriers (use your own vehicle and get paid mileage), city carriers (use the post office vehicles) and clerks. There are also administrative positions too. If you are a carrier, you are checked every few years to see if your route has grown too big or has dropped in size. If it has grown, they will usually move part to another route. Clerks do a wide range of things, from sorting mail and packages, to working the front window (not all clerks do this), to handling forwards and vacation holds, to putting the mail up in the post office boxes at that office.

Being a carrier is not for everyone. Also a lot depends on the upper management for the area. Unfortunately there is a saying that to get someone out of an office, promote them out. So there can be some real jerks in upper management.
DL yearly 1969-78, Dec 99, Jul 04, Sept 06, Apr 07 FW 1972 SoG Nov 95, Jun 97, Jul 99, Nov 01 AS Sports Resort - Nov 2000; Apr & Nov 02; Mar & May 03; May & Oct 04, Apr 06 Coronado Springs Resort - Nov 03 Pop Century Mar/Apr, May, & Nov 05, Jan 06, Dec 11, Dec 12 Celebration World Resort Nov/Dec 09

It's A Girl - Natalie Grace! 4 years old now! Our dancing baby!

Maridw is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: