Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2013, 01:46 PM   #1
CMA21
Mouseketeer

Small. Quaint Towns in the Northeast

Ok so I posted a thread a little while ago about places to live in NH but we are now expanding our search to more of the Northeast. Here's a little background info:

My fiance and I are currently living in NH, but are looking at where to move come September of this year. I'm 25, he's 24, and we run our own computer graphics business, so we work out of our home (and can pretty much go anywhere). We're not looking to have kids anytime soon, so it'll just be us for a while. My family lives near Philly and his near Boston, so we are trying to find somewhere in between the two.

We would like a town that has a nice town center to walk around and is within walking distance to wherever we live (probably an apartment). Also an area that has things close nearby like movie theaters or a mall. Right now the town we live in only really has 2 restaurants and we have to drive 25 minutes to the nearest grocery store. The only place we looked at really so far is Saratoga Springs, NY which we really loved, but just want to look around before making any final decisions. So any other towns like Saratoga Springs would be nice to find, but I'm just not getting very far trying to look for "small, safe, towns in the northeast with good amenities."

Getting Married 10/13/13 at WP and ADH!
CMA21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:24 PM   #2
Janepod
The new dinning plan is out. Need to get those ressies in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMA21 View Post
Ok so I posted a thread a little while ago about places to live in NH but we are now expanding our search to more of the Northeast. Here's a little background info:

My fiance and I are currently living in NH, but are looking at where to move come September of this year. I'm 25, he's 24, and we run our own computer graphics business, so we work out of our home (and can pretty much go anywhere). We're not looking to have kids anytime soon, so it'll just be us for a while. My family lives near Philly and his near Boston, so we are trying to find somewhere in between the two.

We would like a town that has a nice town center to walk around and is within walking distance to wherever we live (probably an apartment). Also an area that has things close nearby like movie theaters or a mall. Right now the town we live in only really has 2 restaurants and we have to drive 25 minutes to the nearest grocery store. The only place we looked at really so far is Saratoga Springs, NY which we really loved, but just want to look around before making any final decisions. So any other towns like Saratoga Springs would be nice to find, but I'm just not getting very far trying to look for "small, safe, towns in the northeast with good amenities."
How about Ridgefield, CT?
Janepod is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-03-2013, 02:25 PM   #3
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Rhinebeck NY
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:28 PM   #4
ckay87
demented and sad...but social
This morning I had "you can't overlook your underwear" stuck in my head
Scared by a clapper in her teens

Lititz, PA was just voted the coolest small town in America
http://www.wgal.com/news/susquehanna...0/-/index.html

My DH is from there, inlaws live there and I agree. Really neat community, cute downtown, lots of festivals AND...a chocolate factory!
ckay87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:32 PM   #5
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Nyack, New York

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 1 time

)“DON'T BE SAD IT'S OVER, BE HAPPY IT HAPPENED!!
mmouse37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:35 PM   #6
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

How small are you talking about? A city with a population of 80,000? A town of 12,000? A borough of 3,000? A village of 250?

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:41 PM   #7
cntrygal
DIS Veteran

cooperstown ny

me
DS 22
DD 12

first trip Nov 2006 all stars music
cancelled trip nov 07 - long story
nov 08 - all stars music
Surprise BDay Trip Jan 11 - Pop
cntrygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:47 PM   #8
Pigeon
DIS Veteran

We live within an hour of Saratoga, and it really is a neat town. I'd love to live there. You do have to put up with tourists in the summer, but there is always so much going on culturally.
Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:48 PM   #9
CMA21
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightlessDuck View Post
How small are you talking about? A city with a population of 80,000? A town of 12,000? A borough of 3,000? A village of 250?
Well when I say small town, we're looking for a town where there'd most likely be a main street with shops and restaurants, etc. We lived in center city Philadelphia for a little while, and although there were plenty of things to walk around and do we definitely don't want to live in a big city again. We now live in a town of about 1000, which is proving to be a little too small. So we're trying to find something in between the two now...but as far as specific population is concerned, I'm not too sure, but I'd guess something between a town of 15,000 to a borough of 3000 maybe?

Getting Married 10/13/13 at WP and ADH!
CMA21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:48 PM   #10
Pigeon
DIS Veteran

Williamstown, MA is nice, too.
Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:56 PM   #11
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

How literal are you about being between Philadelphia and Boston? Mostly what is in between there is eastern PA, most of NJ, NYC, and CT.

If you look at it as a triangle, the Albany metro area would be good. I've spent a few summers there, though, and I wouldn't call it small or quaint. Maybe Cooperstown or Altamont, although they are very small (about 1,700 people each).

I've heard of Saratoga Springs, but I've never been there.

I would campaign for somewhere in my area, but it's much closer to Philly than Boston.

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:58 PM   #12
TinkerBelled
DIS Veteran

Some questions that might help narrow things down a bit:

1. How close to a bigger city would you want the town to be?
2. How rural would you like the surrounding area to be?
3. Do you prefer mountains or the beach? Do you care about living near either?
4. How close to an interstate do you want to be?
5. What would you like the area's price range/average income to be?
Old 04-03-2013, 08:07 PM   #13
usd2bmd
DIS Veteran

Corning, NY is nice, as is Watkins Glen, NY. Watkins Glen you would definitely be dealing with tourists in the summer, but you are in the heart of the Finger lakes Region in New York which really is a beautiful place to be.
June 2002 - Off-site June 2005 - All-Star Movies Resort** August 2006 - Caribbean Beach Resort**September 2007 - Caribbean Beach Resort**August 2008 - Port Orleans Riverside**August 2009 - Port Orleans Riverside
February 2010 - Caribbean Cruise/Carnival Liberty**August 2011 - Caribbean Cruise Carnival Liberty**August 2013 - Eastern Caribbean Cruise Carnival Dream
usd2bmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:23 PM   #14
Scrappy_Tink
DIS Veteran

I lived in Madison, CT for 3 years, and I absolutely loved it. Unfortunately, at the time I was a single mom at the time, so it was really expensive for us to stay there. Anyway, my apartment was about a 15 minute walk to the shoreline, 1/2 a block from the public library and main street. Main street is so quaint and clean, and yes we had a Town Square (which I'd never heard of being originally from CA) It's a very low crime area, and you have Hartford (big shopping) 1 hour away, Old Saybrook and Mystic Seaport, which are just down the interstate a ways. 1 hour train to NYC, which is awesome to go to the city for the day. Westbrook, which is about 5-7 miles has a nice outdoor outlet mall. They didn't have any major chains when we lived there, except for Starbucks of course! Anyway, it would be a nice DINK location, and even more awesome when you do decide to have kids...they have a lot of community festivities. One of my favorite memories is walking with my sons on main street on Halloween looking at all the hand-carved pumpkins in the store-front sidewalks. It's like one of those little dream New England towns you see on the movies.

Scrappy_Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:59 PM   #15
GraysMom
DIS Veteran

Emmaus, PA (outside of Allentown, PA) has been listed in the Top 100 Small Towns in the US by US News & World Report. The list itself might give you some ideas to check out.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: