Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2013, 12:56 PM   #1
aimeekdg
Earning My Ears

HELP my DBF thinks it's only for kids

I went to WDW when I was a child with my family and I remember it was the MOST magical experience ever and my favorite childhood memories are there but now that I have been with my DBF for a year I'm starting to feel bad for talking about anything Disney. He thinks I'm a child for liking anything Disney and it's only for kids! I know my DBF didn't have a childhood and it was hard growing up with only his mother to support him and no father figure around. He's only been out of town on vacation due to choir but he's never done a family vacation and I feel so bad for him but I want to convince him Disney is for adults too!!! Can you help me with ideas on how to make him see that you can still be a big kid and convince him to a trip to WDW and actually enjoy it?
I would greatly appreciate any advice!!
Old 04-03-2013, 07:55 PM   #2
tj2002
Earning My Ears

My Dh and I went for our honeymoon and ppl thought we were nuts, but it honestly was the most fun ever! Disney is for the young at heart. There are plenty of adult activities. For example, think of all the unique dining experiences you can enjoy. There's always time to catch some sun at the pools..."bar hop" around the monorail (if you drink)...enjoy the fireworks...go on rides (think of all the "mountain" rides)...see the animals at AK...shop at DTD. Also, we received Some of the best customer service from the CMs. Good luck, hope you can talk him in to a visit!

tj2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-05-2013, 11:05 AM   #3
kayemgi
DIS Veteran

My DH was not super into the idea the first time we went to Disney, but he got on board because we only went for two days and once I got him there he felt the magic! Now we are going back for a longer trip, and he's not quite as excited as I am, but he's definitely looking forward to it.

Try talking to him about all the awesome little details Disney puts into everything, like the Hidden Mickeys. My DH was definitely more interested because of that stuff. Ask him just to give it a chance, and if he hates it, you don't have to go back. He won't hate it!!
kayemgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:18 AM   #4
BDL
DIS Veteran

Food and drinks from the different countries in EPCOT

Golfing and fishing

Richard Petty Driving Experience link here

BDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:14 PM   #5
boreas154
DisDads #728

What kinds of things does your BF enjoy normally? We can probably recommend tidbits to help you persuade him easier if we know a bit more about his mentality.
boreas154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:51 PM   #6
rlarsen68
Earning My Ears

I go to Disney World every chance I get and have no children of my own and go on most trips with friends or adult family members. There is so much for adults to do. In fact we joke when we do have kids with us that they are slowing us down ;-) What types of things does your BF likes? I'd be happy to give you some tips.

DVC Member since 1999
Visits to Disney World - 25
Visits to Disneyland - 1
Disney Cruises - 4

rlarsen68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:32 PM   #7
Joyosaurusrex
Earning My Ears

yea...I agree with everyone else that a lot is about what he is interested in. Is he a runner/athlete? Think about planning a trip around one of the DisneyRun events. Does he love beer and traveling? Have a beer in every country in Epcot! I have a friend who always thought Disney was for little kids, and wasn't interested, until I picked up these flip books for him about the 9 old men and he was hooked(he's a web designer).

Good Luck!
Joyosaurusrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:02 PM   #8
Samar
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I agree with everyone else that a lot is about what he is interested in. Is he a runner/athlete? Think about planning a trip around one of the DisneyRun events. Does he love beer and traveling? Have a beer in every country in Epcot! I have a friend who always thought Disney was for little kids, and wasn't interested, until I picked up these flip books for him about the 9 old men and he was hooked(he's a web designer).

My first trip wasn't until I was a teenager and I was immediately hooked! My husband also thinks I am a kid when I get the kids to gang up on him to go to Disney *at least* every other year. Gotta use those 3 turkeys for something

But really, there is SO much for you guys to do there and you can even hit up the night life in Downtown Disney as well.

99- ASMu 00- Off 01- Off 03- Off (mom's house) 05-Off (mom's) 06- Off Dec/Jan 08- High Point World Resort and The Palms Hotel and Villas AKL-Jambo July, 2010 POR August 2012 Disney Dream- 1st cruise! Sept 2013
Samar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:18 AM   #9
NightStar
Earning My Ears

I had to beg my fiance for our December trip. He liked Disney but thought there was no reason to go again until we had children. I planned that trip around his interests and showed him a new side of Disney he didn't know existed. He didn't agree until I showed him all the stuff there is to do. We are now DVC owners and passholders. A couple of suggestions:

A lot of people think Magic Kingdom when they think Disney. Make sure he knows that there are 4 parks and 2 water parks. Maybe show him some pictures of the different rides in each park.

Exotic Driving Experience- Don't know if your DBF is a car fanatic but my fiancés dream was to drive a Ferrari. It was so expensive, but it was such an amazing experience for him. He talks about it all the time.

If he is a foodie show him all the different restaurants that Disney has to offer.

Bring up all the events and times you can book a trip. Is Halloween his favorite holiday? Show him info on Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween. Does he love Star Wars? Pull up the info on Star Wars Weekends.

Tell him about Epcot and how you both can go drink around the world

Explain to him the different places to go to in Downtown Disney

May 2013- 1st ever Star Wars Weekend and DVC stay
December 2012- Engagement Celebration at Wilderness Lodge
June 2012- My parents treat their 3 kids in their late 20’s for a week in WDW!!
December 2011- Our one day visit to the Magic Kingdom
July 2010- Our First trip together to Magic Kingdom
2004- Family Trip to DisneyLand
1989-1998- Too many WDW trips to count!
NightStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:01 PM   #10
cbeeindisney
DIS Veteran

Hi! Disney is really for everyone, the young at heart, and all ages...When my now DF and I graduated from college, his parents told him they would give us a trip as a graduation present to anywhere we wanted to go, he knew I wanted to go back to Disney (I hadn't been there since I was young) and so he told his parents that's where we wanted to go, even though he wasn't sold on it. He said Disney was just for kids and he would be happy just to see me happy and enjoy the trip. I swear to you that by the end of the first day, he was addicted! He wore his Mickey ears everyday and said he never wants to go anywhere else on vacation. Since that first trip, he proposed in Disney in front of the castle and we are now planning our honeymoon, he's fully converted and I'm confident that your DBF will be too after his first trip! I still make him crazy with how much I talk about Disney, but at least he understands the appeal a lot more than he did before that first trip! Good luck!
cbeeindisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:24 PM   #11
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

This question (or a version of it) comes up pretty regularly around here.

Ultimately, It really comes down to the person and finding the way to get past their preconceived ideas about what Disney is and showing them more of what Disney has to offer.

As someone else mentioned, if we knew what kind of interests your DBF has, it might be easier to make specific suggestions. Barring that, I'll just give you some general guidelines and input on things that may help.

1. Most of the time when someone says "Disney if for kids", they are thinking about the princesses, the "cartoons", and all those cutesy kiddy-fied images that Disney's marketting team really plays up in their commercials for families to the parks. Your primary job to get him down there... and then ultimately to give him the best chance of falling in love with the place so he has a great time and wants to go back.... is to highlight how Disney isn't just princesses and cartoons. Personally, once you get him down there, I'd often recommend having your first Disney park (and experience) be to go to EPCOT. EPCOT is probably the most 'Adult' of the parks, yet still has everything you need to expose him to Disney Magic without the cute-sy aspects that could turn him off.
  2. Remember to look outside the parks. Disney is so much more than just 4 theme parks and 2 water parks, and there are a TON of activities around the massive resort that could touch upon hobbies and interests of a lot of people. Fishing, Golf, Shopping, Bar Hopping, restaurants, Pools, Watercraft, Parasailing, Jet Skis, Horseback riding, Carriage Rides, the Racetrack, backstage tours, etc etc etc. Try to highlight how many of his general interests he can indulge upon during a trip down there, while also having the parks around.
  3. Don't force it.... or overdo it. There is such thing as overload. The guy doesn't see the point or attraction of it now. While his feelings for you may open him up to the possibility of doing something with you like Disney, He probably won't care about all the little things you can do while there that are outside his interests. He probably won't feel the same excitement about a Character Meal, Autographs, or picture opportunities that you may. Don't overload him details or ask about what he wants to do with every little detail of the trip. Pick and choose what information you bring to him or the decisions you ask for his input in carefully. You want to have this trip be for both of you, and you want him to remain excited about going someplace with you.... but you don't want him to suffer from Disney burnout or have the items which excited or interested him enough to agree to go, end up getting buried beneath all the stuff that he could care less about before the trip or which helps to reinforce the preconceived notion he had about the place before he decided to give it a shot

With some details on his interests, we might be able to give you some direct ideas on things to mention..... or you could also look thru other posts here in the adults and solo's forum to find past threads on similar subjects to see what was suggested there and how things worked for the OP's.
DCTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:03 AM   #12
sabcook
Mouseketeer

My DH and I went for the first time on our honeymoon and it was a tough sell. I had always wanted to go and had my heart set on it so we compromised and split the trip between WDW and St. Martens. Well, we've been back to WDW four times since and are planning our first solo trip there since the kids arrived this year. If you can convince him to give it a try (even for a short trip) chances are then next time won't be so tough. He may even be the one to initiate the next trip like my husband did.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:15 AM   #13
DisNerd12
Earning My Ears

DH's first trip to the World was with my family! Like your DBF he never did Family vacations growing up! What really sold him on Disney the first time around was EPCOT. Boy, does that man love that park! And he is a HUGE SW fan so you think it would have been DHS! He loves the food and all of the different countries. That first trip he really tasted Disney's 'adult' magic. In fact, since our DisneyMoon last summer we have discussed traveling to Europe and finally he just said, "Why would we want to pay all that $$ to fly overseas when we can visit all of those countries in the World?" I about died. I knew I married the right man!!! Now he is a total Disney convert!!!

Guesstimating around 18 trips!
DCL, CBR, POR-R, POR-FQ, AKL, YC, PoPC, All All Stars, WDW Dolphin

DREAM DISNEYMOON:SSR (July/2012)
DisNerd12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: