Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2013, 01:55 PM   #16
MikeAndNick
If you can dream it, you can do it.

You are getting married to someone with a passport. That tells me that she likes to travel. You cannot go out of the country except for a cruise without a passport. Living in Pennsylvania I would think a great vacation for you and your wife would be Canada but you cannot go without a passport. You see a deal to travel to London for $300, cannot go without a passport. Texas secedes from the United States and you want to travel there, you need a passport. Do your new wife a favor and vacation with her.
Disney Cruise Lines: Wonder Land and Sea – Bahamas 2005, Magic Eastbound Trans Atlantic 2010, Magic Mexican Riviera Nov 20, 2011, Fantasy Western Caribbean June 23, 2012, Wonder Bahamian December 14, 2013
Princess Cruse Lines: Panama Canal 2006, San Francisco Alaska June 19, 2011, Pacific Coast Nov 24, 2013
Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2009
Carnival Cruise Lines: Encanta Mexico 2009
NCL Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2008
MikeAndNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:19 PM   #17
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAndNick View Post
You are getting married to someone with a passport. That tells me that she likes to travel. You cannot go out of the country except for a cruise without a passport. Living in Pennsylvania I would think a great vacation for you and your wife would be Canada but you cannot go without a passport. You see a deal to travel to London for $300, cannot go without a passport. Texas secedes from the United States and you want to travel there, you need a passport. Do your new wife a favor and vacation with her.
Good in theory... not in practicality. She actually has a recently expired passport from a post-graduation european trip. It's much easier for her to renew than for me to get a new one.

Add in the costs of international travel, and the fact that kids will further limit our ability to travel internationally, and I'm not really seeing much international travel in our immediate future.

once kids get older and finances stabalize a bit more, I could potentially see us traveling internationally, but that could be years down the road and I would feel like i've wasted money if I got a passport for this cruise when i didn't really need one, and then we didn't travel again because of $$ and family for over 5yrs.
DCTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-03-2013, 02:42 PM   #18
k3chantal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTooTall View Post
So I'm still debating if I want to go thru the hassle and expense of getting a passport for my honeymoon cruise.

Most of the official recomendations I tend to see say "get a passport" in case you need to fly back, or because of general cruise guidelines that cover all the different cruise options.

BUT.. Specifically the 4 day Dream cruise, I'm wondering if i should get a passport for our honeymoon cruise. i've never had one before and I'm not sure if that $100+ would be worth it for me to spend on the passport since I'm not sure when, if ever, I'd need one again. (That $100 could be spent onboard). My Fiance also has one currently, but she's expressed a desire to not use it on the cruise because she wants to travel under her married name (Drivers license, Marriage Certificate, and Birth Certificate verified), and not under the maiden name on her passport (Not enough time between the marriage and trip to have the passport updated).

So.... What would you suggest? Do I really need to get a passport for this cruise, or will i be fine just sticking with my Birth Certificate as my documentation? Besides the extremely unlikely chance I'd need to fly back, is there any real practical reason or benefit from traveling with a passport instead of other valid forms of documentation?
I say get a passport. It is one of those 'life documents" (yes it does need to be renewed of course) but you never know when you may really need it.

Going on a port adventure? Find yourself in a foreign hospital? Need to be flown home? Life in all that chaos will be much easier with a passport in hand.
k3chantal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:48 PM   #19
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncleromulus View Post
All I can say is this--most Birth Certificates (unless they are government issued or certified) won't pass muster just to even GET a Passport.

Do you really want to risk some functionary somewhere deciding on his or her own that YOUR BC or marriage certificate just dosen't quite measure up?

Not likely perhaps, but possible.

Get the Passport---I did, and I am no big fan of Passports or the passport obtaining process.

My mom was born in '44 in Connecticut, and her BC was not from the hospital, it was from the county, and had both of her parents' names on it. That means it was totally legal for today's international travel.

I don't know why your parents did not choose to get you a certified birth certificate from the registrar's office, but even in '45 that was an option.

While some people do get confused when their hospital issues something (the hospital i was born in did not, nor does the one here in town, nor did the one where my husband was born in), that doesn't mean the gov't issued, certified, ones weren't available.

YES hospitals file the forms for you. Midwives will, too, in some states. But it's still up to the PARENTS to contact the registrar's office to GET one. Some parents, probably even today, don't understand that, but it has been the case for a long time now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanimal View Post
There was a report a few months back about a mom who had to take her young daughter off the ship in Nassau for a medical emergency. She had to deal with the stress of the situation PLUS the stress of not being able to get back home if the child had to be admitted and the ship sailed without her because they didn't have passports. (Fortunately for them they cleared her to go just before the ship was about to sail.) There's just no way I'd take that risk with a loved one. At least your wife could get use her old passport in a pinch, but you'd be stuck.

And they're good for ten years! Maybe you'll get the travel bug after this trip. Who knows what adventures may await you!
FWIW she wasn't told by a customs official that she couldn't stay. As far as I could tell in her post she was told this in the doctor's office. I don't know who said it, but it wasn't said by anyone official that I could tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTooTall View Post
Good in theory... not in practicality. She actually has a recently expired passport from a post-graduation european trip. It's much easier for her to renew than for me to get a new one.
Have you seen my suggestion to take your marriage license in to your registrar's office yourself? So that you can have it processed right then, pay for the certified certificate, and have it in your hands immediately?

Currently valid (check with your registrars offices from the counties of your births) certified BCs, valid certified marriage certificate to show the name change, and a photo ID, and she should be fine.

Make sure she knows to hang on to the passport! It's expired, yep, but she can get it renewed up to 5 years after it expired. renewals can be done if it "Was issued within the last 15 years". I renewed mine just days before that mark; got it in '95, it expired in '05, renewed just before the date in '10! I love that they allow that for adult passports. And it was right before the big price increase. Whew!

Since she had that passport, and since you're pretty sure you won't be traveling because of children (I wanted to travel MORE once my son arrived! We went to Canada before he was a year old and it was awesome!), I would just make sure you've had that conversation WITH her. The run-up to a wedding can get a little confusing, where you think you have had the important discussions, but you just might want to make sure she's on the same page, travel-wise, as you. Travel is actually quite important in my life, and it is in DH's, too. Neither of us could have married someone for whom travel was not important and who did not want to see the world. Good conversations to have and revisit every so often.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: