Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2013, 10:56 AM   #1
sdjen
DIS Veteran

Kid friendly suggestions for Denver

We will be taking a trip to Denver in late May for a long weekend. Me, my daughter age 7, and another friend with her kids - girl age 8 and boy age 12.

Can anyone recommend some fun things that would be fun for the kids? I was looking at the aquarium for Friday (when we arrive) and maybe doing dinner at the restaurant there? is it worth it?

We will have all day Saturday and most of Sunday before our Taylor Swift concert on Sunday night

If it helps we are staying downtown by the convention center at the Hilton Garden Inn.

Thanks for any advice!
Old 04-03-2013, 10:59 AM   #2
Chikabowa
DIS Veteran

The Colorado Railroad Museum was a lot of fun! I also really enjoyed visiting Red Rocks.

Chikabowa is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-03-2013, 11:00 AM   #3
nchulka
it was funny when the creepy guys would follow close to them and then pull their chainsaws

Make sure to take them to eat at Casa Bonita. It's the most unique dining experience you'll ever have. There are cliff divers diving into water, a large cave area, a haunted hideaway called Black Barts. They do pinatas for the kids, a strolling mariachi band, and sketches with a gorilla chasing people to the cliff area which always ends with them falling into the water. It's a place you won't forget.

I'd also suggest Heritage Square. It's a small amusement park, lots of fun for kids. They have the normal rides and they also have an alpine slide!
Old 04-03-2013, 12:19 PM   #4
NHdisneylover
Lanyards are taking all my poor organizatioanl skills
mice and such creatures tend to like to travel aorund

I agree that the kids would probably have a blast at Casa Bonita (mine have to eat there every year when we visit )--and it is a totally unique place.

You might see if you can still get in for a tour of the Denver Mint.

My blog about my wanderings and ramblings in Europe, Disney and where ever else life takes me:

http://hadleyswanderingsandramblings.blogspot.de/
NHdisneylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:59 PM   #5
whatname
Mouseketeer

We took our dd's, ages 6 and 8, last summer. We enjoyed the Denver Mint. You have to have reservations ahead of time and they do get booked, so I would do that now, if you want to go. It is free. You can make reservations online. Interesting. We got to see them making coins and they give a tour about making the money and the mint. There is also a display of different types of money at the beginning.

We also went to the Federal Reserve. No reservations needed but they do give tours/a talk. We missed most of that and I would liked to have seen it. They showed us the bomb dogs and talked about their training, etc. You can take home a bag of shredded money, which the kids enjoyed.

We rode a cable car/street car type thing to get from the Mint to the Reserve. DD's also enjoyed that.

With lunch, the above activities took most of the day.

Hope you have a good time.
whatname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:31 PM   #6
JakeJenna
Mouseketeer

Our kids favorite place is the Denver museum of nature and science. I'm not a big fan of heritage square jmo though. If your looking for a Sunday service you could go to red rocks church at heritage square then do the rides then dinosaur ridge and red rocks park or lookout mountain while your out on the western side of town.
JakeJenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:20 PM   #7
joanne312
DIS Veteran

Another vote for Casa Bonita!
Old 04-03-2013, 05:55 PM   #8
almburr
DIS Veteran

casa Bonitas! the zoo is really nice. Jump street, butterfly pavilion,
almburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:22 PM   #9
sdjen
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the ideas everyone. I will check them out.

For the Denver Mint tour, about how long does it take?
Old 04-03-2013, 07:27 PM   #10
jeffp66
Earning My Ears

Casa Bonita!!!!!! And maybe Beau Joe's Pizza.....hmmmm, I just realized that all I think about is food!
jeffp66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:06 PM   #11
Scrappy_Tink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chikabowa View Post
The Colorado Railroad Museum was a lot of fun! I also really enjoyed visiting Red Rocks.
Red rocks is awesome....especially for concerts! A warning though, I'm not sure where you're from, but the altitude in Denver may kick your ***, so I might take it easy on physical activities, also LOTS of sunscreen, even if it's not that warm, you can burn to a crisp. If you don't mind taking a trip 45 miles south, you can go to Colorado Springs....Garden of the Gods is awesome, and less climbing than Red Rocks, or you can take a rail up to the top of Pikes Peak from Manitou Springs (a really cool hippy-dippy town!)

Scrappy_Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:49 PM   #12
MommaNinja
Earning My Ears

There is a lot you can do! The Denver zoo is fun, museum of Nature and Science, butterfly Pavillion, local mountains... Just be sure to drink lots of water!
MommaNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:02 AM   #13
Pooh_Friend#1
Check out my year round tan!

IMHO I think the aquarium is too expensive for the time you spend in there, plus you have to pay for parking. I think the zoo would be a much better option. If you do go to the aquarium, make sure you time it to see the mermaids. You can sign up on their website and they will send out discounts occassionally. You can go to Elitches if you like amusement parks.
Pooh_Friend#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:18 AM   #14
ChristaDeVil
DIS Veteran

I think the Denver Zoo is awesome. We went several years ago, but it was a great experience. I think Casa Bonita is a good choice - However, it wasn't as impressive when I went a couple of years ago as it was my first time (probably 15 years ago). It's still fun and the kids would LOVE it. If you are interested in football at all, there are tours available of Mile High (Invesco, whatever. I still call it Mile High). We didn't get to do the tour on our last trip, but I have been informed that we will be doing it on our September trip.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:10 PM   #15
sdjen
DIS Veteran

Thanks to everyone for the advice and tips. I have a very fair skinned redhead so we always have sunscreen And, i hope coming from South Dakota (black hills area) that the adjustment to the altitude isnt too bad. My only other visit to Denver (almost 20 years ago) when I lived in MO, i got altitude sickness - not fun!
\
Casa Bonita looks really fun and something the kids would enjoy. And, the zoo and museum too. So much to do but so little time!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: