Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2013, 04:31 PM   #1
Disneyland1084
OH PLEASE SOMEBODY TELL ME!
I'm not going to let that chickenhead nugget bother me
HEY!! Where is everyone?

At a loss of words of what to say in sympathy card..

I became a SAHM mom a year ago. The brother of my former boss just died. I bought a sympathy card for her, but I'm at a loss of words. She loved her brother, but didn't "like" him. She cared about him, but wasn't close to him. Some might not send a card in a situation like this, but I worked with my boss for nearly 10 years. In the past year, we've emailed and talked on the phone every few months. I had a hard time finding the right card because I felt most of the messages weren't true ONLY BECAUSE of all the stories she's told me about him over the years. What would you say in this situation? So far I've written that I'm sorry to hear about her brother, but would like to say a couple more things. Please help Disers!
Old 04-03-2013, 04:35 PM   #2
happygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyland1084 View Post
I became a SAHM mom a year ago. The brother of my former boss just died. I bought a sympathy card for her, but I'm at a loss of words. She loved her brother, but didn't "like" him. She cared about him, but wasn't close to him. Some might not send a card in a situation like this, but I worked with my boss for nearly 10 years. In the past year, we've emailed and talked on the phone every few months. I had a hard time finding the right card because I felt most of the messages weren't true ONLY BECAUSE of all the stories she's told me about him over the years. What would you say in this situation? So far I've written that I'm sorry to hear about her brother, but would like to say a couple more things. Please help Disers!
I would say you are in my prayers and thoughts, please let me know if I can do anything for you or your family.
happygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-03-2013, 04:37 PM   #3
clarabelle
Pandas don't seem to have much of a survival instinct
What happens after the poo is picked up?

Call me if you would like to talk.

I am thinking (or Praying if you are religious) for you

or
You are in my thoughts.

Let me know if there is something I can do for you.
clarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:09 PM   #4
Robinrs
DIS Veteran

Wow are you my sister???

My sister called me last week about a co worker who's brother died, too. She was annoyed with the fact she had to go take care of his home when he went in for some simple surgery and he died on the table.

Brothers and sisters always have some kind of battle going on, but under it all they love each other and never want to lose each other. Love and like are two separate things.

Just let her know that you care and that you'll be the shoulder she needs if she needs one.

As one who has lost most of my entire family , I really hate the typical words, but that's me. Just the idea that you cared enough to acknowledge my pain is enough for me.

Some people say we got a lot of malice Some say it's a lot of nerve I say we won't quit moving till we get what we deserve... we've been rebuked and we've been scourned, we've been treated bad talking about as sure as you're born But just as sure as it takes 2 eyes to make a pair We can't quit until we get our share -JB
Robinrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:50 PM   #5
bookgirl
I don't eat onions-they squelch when you bite into them
I don't eat raisins-they look like dried up bugs
Can we say food issues?

My thoughts (and prayers) are with you and your family during this time of loss. May you find peace.

UPCOMING: 7/14 Offsite & 10/14 F&W Festival (in planning) WL

bookgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:09 AM   #6
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

Realistically, there's pretty much nothing you can say that will ease the heartache. I know you're searching for the perfect words, but they simply don't exist.

I would go with pretty much the standard: "I'm so very sorry for your loss. Your family will remain in my prayers."

I just realized my ticker is wrong!! We leave July 29th!!
numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club We're going to the Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)
Aliceacc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:18 AM   #7
Bearybear
A firm believer in the unbelievable

When I was in college and had to buy my first sympathy card, I asked almost this exact question of my mother. She said any thoughts of sympathy and support are always appreciated. The grieving person will feel better knowing that people care about them, even though it won't ease their grief. I've used this philosophy ever since. Just sending a card lets the person know you care. And if it is someone I don't know well, I just write "You're in my thoughts in this difficult time, please let me know if there is anything I can do"
Old 04-04-2013, 10:23 AM   #8
Stitchfans
Tres Charming
I cry at a drop of a hat
55 scares me
Can you dip the shortbread in chocolate?
*~*The T.F*~*
let the stupidity begin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookgirl View Post
My thoughts (and prayers) are with you and your family during this time of loss. May you find peace.
Perfect. This is how I would sign it.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:52 PM   #9
Bob NC
DIS Veteran
I am a trained professional
$7.61
Wilma Flintstone can vacuum my floors with a baby elephant anyday!

If I were you I would forget any comments she ever made about her brother and send her the same sentiments you would send to anyone who lost a sibling.
Bob NC is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: