Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2013, 08:21 AM   #1
mickeyoverload
Mouseketeer

First Time Cruiser NEEDS HELP!!!!

We are a family of 4 (DH, DS5 and DD 2) and I have never been on a cruise of any kind!

After looking into prices for three years, we have decided that April 2014 is our year! We are going to book the Magic out Cape for a 3 day and go to the parks for a few days before.

But the question I have is what is included in the price of the trip of the cruise? what food is covered? recreational options? I know alcoholic drinks aren't.

So what should we budget extra for?

Thanks for all the help!
Old 04-03-2013, 08:39 AM   #2
mbrocker
Mouseketeer

Budget for tips, excursions, shopping, spa.
mbrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-03-2013, 08:44 AM   #3
bats
Enjoying Bahama Mama's

Budget for trying to stretch it to a 4 night cruise instead of a 3!!!

You can take your own alcohol onboard to save a little bit of money there, depending if you're a drinker or not. Just make sure it's in your hand luggage and not in your main cases.
Quality Inn International Apr 2003 - Magic Mouse Villa on Windsor Palms Apr 2006 - Hong Kong Disney Jan 2007 - Dibb villa & Disney Wonder Sept 2008 - Dibb villa for DBF's 40th Feb 2009 - Dibb villa Sept 2009 - Disneyland Paris Nov 2009 - Disneyland California Apr 2010 - Disney Magic 8 night Western Europe Jul 2010 - SSR Sept 2010 - Maiden Voyage on The Dream Jan 26th 2011 - Disney Magic Med cruise Aug 2011 - OKW Sept 2011 - AKV & Disney Dream Feb 2012 - SSR & Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean Oct 2012 - Disney Magic B2B Med Aug 2013 - Disney Magic Med May 2014 - Disney Magic WBTA & our wedding Sept 2014 Disney Magic 11 night Fjords/Iceland/Orkney Isles Jun 2015
bats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:53 AM   #4
mickeyoverload
Mouseketeer

so ALL food is included? anytime of the day? room service? My husband doesn't believe me...LOL! I guess I have worked other information in past trips to work to my advantage
Old 04-03-2013, 08:54 AM   #5
tweis
DIS Veteran

Tips $12 pp per day Pretty much everything else is optional. You can indulge in Adult dining, shop, buy photos, go on excursions, drink alcohol/specialty coffees/smoothies, visit the spa, try tastings, etc. but it's optional. Dining in the main dining rooms, room service (with exceptions), quick service on the pool deck, is all included in the cruise price. Soda is "free" if you order in the dining room or get if from the beverage station. Have a great cruise.
tweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:59 AM   #6
mickeyoverload
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweis View Post
Tips $12 pp per day Pretty much everything else is optional. You can indulge in Adult dining, shop, buy photos, go on excursions, drink alcohol/specialty coffees/smoothies, visit the spa, try tastings, etc. but it's optional. Dining in the main dining rooms, room service (with exceptions), quick service on the pool deck, is all included in the cruise price. Soda is "free" if you order in the dining room or get if from the beverage station. Have a great cruise.
AWESOME! ok so is the $12 a day pp is automatically added to your room charge? We are not drinkers especially with kids being so little... what about nursery services for my DD2? the oceaneers club is free for my DS right?
Old 04-03-2013, 09:04 AM   #7
erinsmom03
Mouseketeer

There is a fee for nursery services, but all kids' club activities are included, no extra fee.

We will be on the Magic in April 2014 for the 4 night, over Easter week. Can't wait!

WDW offsite 1978 RCCL 1996 RCCL 1997 WDW offsite 1998 RCCL 1999
Poly 2008 Poly 2009 FQ/BC 2011 Poly/Fantasy Western Caribbean 2013
Cabana Bay/Universal/Magic Bahamas 2014

erinsmom03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:05 AM   #8
erinsmom03
Mouseketeer

The tip is per person, same for kids as adults. It will be automatically applied to your account at the end of the cruise. You can add extra if you have really good service, of course!

WDW offsite 1978 RCCL 1996 RCCL 1997 WDW offsite 1998 RCCL 1999
Poly 2008 Poly 2009 FQ/BC 2011 Poly/Fantasy Western Caribbean 2013
Cabana Bay/Universal/Magic Bahamas 2014

erinsmom03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:07 AM   #9
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyoverload View Post
AWESOME! ok so is the $12 a day pp is automatically added to your room charge? We are not drinkers especially with kids being so little... what about nursery services for my DD2? the oceaneers club is free for my DS right?
They add it to your bill after you're onboard, or you can choose to pre-pay your gratuities. And that's per person per day regardless of the ages of your children

Nursery services are an extra charge, but oceaneers club is free for your older child.

The ship serves breakfast, lunch and dinner, and they have some counter-service-like food stations open throughout the day. Most room service is free - just tip the CM who delivers - there are some room service items that have a charge but they are listed on the room service menu found in your stateroom guidebook. Also you can always ask when you call room service to confirm. Some of the lounges have late afternoon / evening snacks like chips/salsa, wings, hot dogs, etc.

Snacks at the theaters cost more, and frozen drinks (alcohol or no) cost money, too. But there are enough options for food and free beverage that you can sail and not have any additional charges for food and beverage.

Pretty much the things new cruisers need to budget extra for are excursions, photos, and souvenirs. Plus the tips. It's weird at first to get up from the dinner table and not leave a tip / pay a bill But that's covered in the gratuities you pay at the end of the cruise.

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:08 AM   #10
MagicFan75
Mouseketeer

Quote:
The nursery is typically $6/hour and you need to make reservations in advance. The nursery times do fill up, so if you want to go to Palo for a "date night" (which would also be an extra charge, but well worth it), make sure you get a nursery reservation for the same time in advance.

MagicFan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:09 AM   #11
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yes, the $12 pp per day is automatically charged to your account. You can prepay the gratuities or pay them at the end of your cruise. I think you have to reserve hours for the nursery and I believe it is $6 per hour, but I'm not certain because I have never used the nursery. The Oceaneers club is free with all activities included.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:15 AM   #12
clten
DIS Veteran

The $12 pp/pd is automatically charged to your shipboard account but you can adjust it any way you see fit (if you want to remove it and tip in cash, that's fine. If you want to raise the tips but still charge them to your account, also fine).

The only food that would not be included with your cruise fare is dining in the adult only restaurants (Palo on the Magic) and pre-packaged snack foods from room service or outside the theaters (popcorn, chips, candy). Other than that, all three meals (or more if you want to do one of the meals more than once/day), room service (except for the aforementioned prepackaged snacks and some beverages - canned soda, bottled water, alcoholic beverages) and snacks (pizza, burgers, pirate night buffet, chips/salsa in the lounges) are all included.

One other thing about room service, while it is included and there's no charge for most of what is available, tips are appreciated and not covered under your $12pppd recommended tips. We usually bring some cash in small bills to tip our room service attendants.
clten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:26 AM   #13
mickeyoverload
Mouseketeer

WOW!!! So much help guys, thank you!

What about Castaway Key? anything on the island that I need to be prepared for?
Old 04-03-2013, 09:38 AM   #14
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
WOW!!! So much help guys, thank you!

What about Castaway Key? anything on the island that I need to be prepared for?
Well you can have tons of fun on CC without spending a dime OR you can pay for an excursion. You can rent bikes, floats, feed the stingray, parasail, snorkel (or bring your own equipment for free) etc. all for a fee. There is Scuttles Cove for your club aged children, pelican plunge (water slide) chairs with umbrellas, swimming, relaxing, watching crab races, taking photos with characters, lunch, etc. all included in your cruise fare.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:39 AM   #15
LVaughn
DVC and Gold Castaway Club

Sunburn maybe? They serve lunch on CC and have a huge amount of fresh tropical fruits for you to snack on. You can rent floats or bikes if you want, or you can just find a chair (get off the ship early if you want a hammock) and enjoy the scenery. There are shops on the island, but you use your KTTW card to pay for everything and it goes on your shipboard account.

One thing I would do is bring some cash and send yourself a postcard from CC. It sometimes takes a while to arrive, but it will have a unique postmark when you get it.

There are a couple of links in my signature with information about CC you might want to see.

Oh, and howdy neighbor!

Fantasy Western 6/23/2012 | Magic Eastern 1/2/2010 | Wonder 4-night 12/30/2007 | Wonder 3-night 7/6/2006
Big Red Boat 4-night 6/28/1993 - Honeymoon
LVaughn is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: