Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2013, 05:39 AM   #31
dolphingirl47
I will post my goodies once I am back
I have always been too worried to use the pillowcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
Yeah, Corinna was able to get one on her trip, but I've been reading on the boards and no one seems to want to do it anymore. I looked into it and no companies were offering it.
Enterprise does one way rentals, but you have to ring them. I was driving myself crazy trying to get this sorted online as it would not give me an option for Galveston. In the end it took a three minute call and I was all set.

As to the helmet dive, if in doubt, cancel it now. We did have a beach holiday about 2 months after Graham had his motorbike accident and not only did he still have deep wounds, but also external metal work. We checked with his consultant if he was OK to go in the sea and we had a similar answer to the one your doctor gave. The only extra thing because of the metal work was that he was not supposed to go in the sea on his own.

Corinna
dolphingirl47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:55 AM   #32
dgbg100106

It is pretty unique... Just like me
Mommy, please make the mean witch stop talking to me

Quote:
Well, I'm not sure. She had to have an MRI earlier last year and she FREAKED out. Neither of us expected that. Maybe you're right. Perhaps there is something else we could book at this time. I'll talk to her tomorrow, I'd rather cancel now and rebook something than do it on the ship.

Yeah, Corinna was able to get one on her trip, but I've been reading on the boards and no one seems to want to do it anymore. I looked into it and no companies were offering it.
Sorry to hear that, b/c that was one of the reasons we liked going out of Galveston...

73 Cont, 74 Poly, 91 Swan, 02 CBR, 05 BWV, 09 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 10 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 11 BWV, 11 BCV (F&WF)

2013 Cruising adventures
3rd times a Charm, F&WF2011 Celebrating Graduations at the world2010 F&WF, AKV with Sunrise Safari and 7 nights on Cruise
dgbg100106 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-07-2013, 06:56 AM   #33
dgbg100106

Quote:
Well the Doctor said to clean out the wound as soon as we got back to the room and he thought we would be fine. The nurse said, "Don't talk to me if it comes back infected....." Tough call, my conservative side says pick something else. My other side says just go for it, saline will clean it out!
That was my thought too, doesn't the salt water clean it out?

73 Cont, 74 Poly, 91 Swan, 02 CBR, 05 BWV, 09 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 10 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 11 BWV, 11 BCV (F&WF)

2013 Cruising adventures
3rd times a Charm, F&WF2011 Celebrating Graduations at the world2010 F&WF, AKV with Sunrise Safari and 7 nights on Cruise
Old 04-07-2013, 10:03 AM   #34
MomToPrincePhillip
Mouseketeer

Oh that's not great news. Don't let it get in the way of all they other ways that Fran has been feeling better lately.

Is there another excursion that interests the 2 of you? Maybe if you found an alternative activity to get excited about it would help make the decision...
Old 04-07-2013, 02:11 PM   #35
ACDSNY

No freaking out allowed
Just flying by

Good luck with your decision, I think I'd cancel it and find something else you both might enjoy. With Fran's compromised immune system I wouldn't want to take any chances on an infection.

Disneyland - Too many to count! Last DL trip: May 2013 WDW - Nov 2011, Nov 2009, May 2007, Oct 2006, July 2006, Oct 2005, Oct 2003, Oct 2000
DCL - Nov 2013 Fantasy EC, Mar 2012 Wonder MR, Nov 2011 Dream B2B, Jan 2011 Wonder Panama Canal, Nov 2009 Wonder Princess - Panama Canal Jan 2014, Pacific Coast May 2006, Alaska Sep 2004, Mar 1999 Australia/New Zealand Big Island - May 2013 Kauai - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012, Feb 2010, Oct 2008 Maui - Jan & Nov 2012 Oahu Aulani - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012
ACDSNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:45 PM   #36
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
For the record and please tell Fran, I vote no. I never thought the words *stay on the conservative side* would leave my mouth but there ya go.

What are your other options for activities if you cancel the dive?
Quite a few, I will give you an update!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphingirl47 View Post
Enterprise does one way rentals, but you have to ring them. I was driving myself crazy trying to get this sorted online as it would not give me an option for Galveston. In the end it took a three minute call and I was all set.

As to the helmet dive, if in doubt, cancel it now. We did have a beach holiday about 2 months after Graham had his motorbike accident and not only did he still have deep wounds, but also external metal work. We checked with his consultant if he was OK to go in the sea and we had a similar answer to the one your doctor gave. The only extra thing because of the metal work was that he was not supposed to go in the sea on his own.

Corinna
Good to know. In the end a rental car company wouldn't have worked out well for us since our plane arrives at 1:15AM, we would have had to wait around the airport that long or take a shuttle to a Houston Hotel and then come back and get the car and drive. In the end I think we worked it out pretty well. With Super Shuttle we get the whole van and believe me! I think with our luggage and the scooter, we WILL fill up that whole van!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgbg100106 View Post
Sorry to hear that, b/c that was one of the reasons we liked going out of Galveston...
Well, I'm glad that Corinna, cleared that one up. You still can!

Quote:
That was my thought too, doesn't the salt water clean it out?
Well saline cleans out the wound, but with all the nasty little micro organisms living in the sea water and all the potential trash or sewage, I wouldn't trust it with her current condition. Besides, she is also on the immune-suppressant arthritis drugs, so if something got in there, it could take her right down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomToPrincePhillip View Post
Oh that's not great news. Don't let it get in the way of all they other ways that Fran has been feeling better lately.

Is there another excursion that interests the 2 of you? Maybe if you found an alternative activity to get excited about it would help make the decision...
See the next update!
Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!
franandaj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:45 PM   #37
franandaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACDSNY View Post
Good luck with your decision, I think I'd cancel it and find something else you both might enjoy. With Fran's compromised immune system I wouldn't want to take any chances on an infection.
You snuck in here just before I got my next post completed! See next post!
Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!
Old 04-07-2013, 02:56 PM   #38
franandaj

So my last update wasn’t very happy. Besides Fran’s leg wounds reopening, we had a “different” sort of a set back. Two nights ago we went out to the Disneyland Resort for dinner. I wore some kind of “stupid” shoes. They weren’t heels or anything, I can’t wear those anyways. They were just flats, the problem was that they are a tad bit tight.

Well after eating lots of food (probably kind of salty) my feet swelled up, A TON. I couldn’t get my feet back in my shoes without them cutting into my heels. Fran was kind enough to offer me her scooter while she said she would walk. Besides it would help build up her strength for the 2 miles that she would need to walk for the Mayan Ruins tour.

She did great, we walked out of Disneyland, into DCA, over to Off the Page to pick up the item they had been holding for her, and then out to the car. Everything seemed to be fine. However, it was a little bit odd last night when she said at 7:30, “I need to lie down.” Without even eating the Philly Cheesesteak that she had ordered via delivery. I finished my dinner and went to bed pretty early. Well this morning, she woke up and announced that she felt like she had been run over by a truck.

As we sat getting dressed, she said that there was no way she was going to be able to do either of the excursions that we had booked. She just wasn’t up to climbing things, walking or getting in and out of buses. So after I fixed us some breakfast, I sat down at the DCL website and looked for what excursions were still available, and were not so taxing.

Most of the excursions included some sort of snorkeling or something so I overlooked those. But I found this “Duck Boat Excursion”.

On this tour you will:
  • Meet your guide and board an amphibious "duck" style vehicle. Depart the Sea Port in George Town, Grand Cayman and ride the streets through downtown to see historic places and buildings including Heroes Square, The Traditions Monument, the parliament building, the historic library, as well as the only fort that was on the island.
  • Leave downtown for a ride up historic Seven Mile Beach, one of the world's most famous beaches.
  • Travel back to George Town where your vehicle will "splash" into the crystal clear waters of the Caribbean Sea. Once in the water, enjoy underwater views through one of 6 monitors with 2 underwater cameras. No need to get wet here as one of the tour guides will point out the historic living coral reefs with fish, sea turtles and countless marine life.
  • Get to see a number of shipwrecks both above the water and deep down below. The Parrots of the Caribbean trolley boat will spend approximately 40 minutes on the water and about 30 minutes on land.
  • Return back to land and conclude your tour back on the pier where you started.

Then for Cozumel we looked around at various excursions, there was another Mayan ruins which included about 1 mile of walking, but Fran was really worried about wearing herself out for the rest of the trip. She has been asleep in her chair next to me ever since we started re-researching excursions.

We finally settled on this one, which in actuality was my top choice overall when we were choosing them. She was thinking really big and lots of energy and exertion. That would be fine if we were working out and going to the gym every day, but at this time, my biggest energy exertion is taking out the trash cans every week!

On this tour you will:
  • If you ever wanted to experience a taste of Mexico's traditional tequila, Discover Mexico Park is the perfect setting for this experience. Start your tour with a short 5-minute transfer to the Discover Mexico Park. Here you will take an approximate 20-minute self-guided tour of the Museum and view an immersive video collage that takes you to different corners of this marvelous country.
  • Admire handcrafts fashioned by native artisans in the onsite museum and trace the evolution of Mexico's ancient civilization as you tour replicas of Chichén Itzá and other pyramids and reproductions of grand monuments and cathedrals.

• Next you will be delighted with a sample presentation of several different white and aged tequilas of surpassing quality, including tequila crème and liquor. You will learn the history of tequila and the process of this spirit that has been made for centuries. You will return an expert on the subject!

• During your Taco Buffet lunch, experience 6 completely homemade salsas and learn how to make margaritas from scratch! Included in your lunch are 3 beverages (margaritas, sodas or beer.)

• After your lunch, watch a live Papantla Flyers presentation in the courtyard.
  • At the completion of your tour, take the short drive back to the pier.
  • Lunch includes: Tinga tacos (beef), Cochinita pibil tacos (pork), Chorizo and potato tacos and 6 different salsas. Beverages include: Tequilas: anejo, reposado, blanco, cream of tequila, soda, margarita, beer and bottled water.
  • All alcoholic drinks will be served only to Guests age 21 and older.
  • Lockers are available at Discover Mexico Park for $2.00.

All in all, to me these sound like much more relaxing excursions than our previous choices. In my old age, I am getting much more finicky about getting wet, and with our current activity level, it would have been fun to see the ruins, but not sure how much I want to be walked around with a bunch of strangers being tied to a bus schedule, not being able to stop if I want or move faster if I am bored. At least with both these excursions we are not exerting a tremendous amount of energy so that we get tired out. AND, I still get some tequila. Instead of touring a factory, we’ll just have a chance to taste various kinds. Not that I don’t already know about Reposado, Anejo, etc. but I always like to hear someone else’s take on it.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:42 PM   #39
ACDSNY

No freaking out allowed
Just flying by

These sound like great choices!

Disneyland - Too many to count! Last DL trip: May 2013 WDW - Nov 2011, Nov 2009, May 2007, Oct 2006, July 2006, Oct 2005, Oct 2003, Oct 2000
DCL - Nov 2013 Fantasy EC, Mar 2012 Wonder MR, Nov 2011 Dream B2B, Jan 2011 Wonder Panama Canal, Nov 2009 Wonder Princess - Panama Canal Jan 2014, Pacific Coast May 2006, Alaska Sep 2004, Mar 1999 Australia/New Zealand Big Island - May 2013 Kauai - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012, Feb 2010, Oct 2008 Maui - Jan & Nov 2012 Oahu Aulani - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012
Old 04-07-2013, 06:49 PM   #40
MomToPrincePhillip
Mouseketeer

Sound like a plan Fran...and Alison
Old 04-07-2013, 07:10 PM   #41
dgbg100106

I like the choices also!

2013 Cruising adventures
Old 04-07-2013, 07:31 PM   #42
franandaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACDSNY View Post
These sound like great choices!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomToPrincePhillip View Post
Sound like a plan Fran...and Alison
Quote:
I like the choices also!
Thanks ladies! I really think that these excursions are a little more our style.

As much as Fran wants to get scuba certified, try a zipline, and all those other things. I think we need to take baby steps first. Getting a gym membership (since Bally's went out of business) would be the first step. Actually GOING to the gym would be the second step!

From there we can start looking into the extreme sports.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:45 PM   #43
ACDSNY

No freaking out allowed
Just flying by

Quote:
I think we need to take baby steps first. Getting a gym membership (since Bally's went out of business) would be the first step. Actually GOING to the gym would be the second step!

From there we can start looking into the extreme sports.
I keep trying to convince myself to get on my exercise bike before we head to the Big Island. It hasn't happened yet.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:38 PM   #44
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country

I swore I had replied but apparently the Internet ate it! I think your new excursion choices will be much less stressful.

Jill in CO
Old 04-07-2013, 09:03 PM   #45
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

I like both choices and think you will have a great time. I'm sorry Fran wasn't feeling well but glad she felt the limitations while home and not on vacation. Healing is such a slow process.

The boat excursion looks fun!

The Cozumel salsa/tequila/lunch/tour sounds interesting. I looked into a tequila one for our cruise but realized Joshua would be bored silly. And I'd be buzzed silly.

What did you have for dinner at the Disneyland Resort? You know we all love food porn.

Did you toss those shoes?

Any luck on the Galveston transportation?

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: