Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2013, 02:32 PM   #76
FlightlessBird
Earning My Ears

I think if Walt Disney were to come back from the dead today and see what his company had become he'd be happy! Just look how far it's gone, not everybody is always going to agree with the changes at any Disney park. To be honest, I've never took too much notice of the brands in Disney parks. There's probably less now than there was to begin with come to think of it. And as for starbucks coming to the parks, I don't think it will make too much difference, the theming was good at the fiddler fifer and practical cafe that if you didn't know it was there before you probably won't notice it (unless you look really hard lol) I prefer this over mcdonalds though.
FlightlessBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:35 PM   #77
Disneyland1084
OH PLEASE SOMEBODY TELL ME!
I'm not going to let that chickenhead nugget bother me
HEY!! Where is everyone?

I've been skimming through this thread, and read somewhere that someone doesn't like Downtown Disney. Heck, I LOVE THAT PLACE!!! Whenever I go to Disneyland with my family, we hang out there the first day before we start on the parks the next!!
Register to remove

Old 04-03-2013, 02:41 PM   #78
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by minniecarousel View Post
I do recall that Walt said he wanted to create a park that parents and kids could enjoy together. I also believe that his loathe of carnival-type games was well known. So putting the carnival games in the California Adventure Park seemed odd to us. We just skip that part - it doesn't interest us in the least.
It wasn't the carnival games he didn't like, it was the carnival atmosphere.

In Walt's day, carnivals had a reputation of being, well, unsavory. Seedy. Kind of tawdry, with the freak shows, scantily clad dancers, etc. Carnival workers were seen as untrustworthy, many were transients, some were actually hiding from the law, easy to do as a carny because you're always moving from place to place. Games were often rigged, meant to separate you from your money.

That's what he was trying to provide an alternative to in creating Disneyland. A clean, safe place to visit with your kids for a day of fun.
Lynne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:47 PM   #79
skylizard
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv0fDisney View Post
There is a mcdonald like kiosk in adventure land.
and they sell mcflurry's in epcot when you go to the right there's a kiosk by bathrooms near the lake...
Really? I'll have to look for that know
skylizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:49 PM   #80
Deb in IA
Knows that KIDS are better than cats
When do we leave for that nice long Hawaii vacation?
I'm a wimp, and I don't like food that hurts to eat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv0fDisney View Post
I think it's sad that Walt Disney's original idea for Disney World is being changed just for more income.

He never wanted carnival games in his parks... But they put them in anyway in Animal Kingdom.

His first major oopsy was that he didn't control the area around the perimeter of DisneyLand, so other corporates could build so he bought more land for Disney World so that wouldn't happen. So what do Disney World owner or whoever makes the decisions do? They put other corps right into the parks. I know they have McDonald's in Magic kingdom and Epcot, in their own little stands but to change "Main Street" by putting in a Starbucks? The horror. Sure when I visit I will NOT step foot in or around Starbucks. That's my decision. Not that I drink coffee any way, but if i need a refreshment I will walk 10-20 feet away to somewhere else. Starbucks will NOT get my $$ or snack credits.

I think it is sad that the current President (or whoever makes these decisions) is losing the sight of what Walt Disney wanted for his parks. Yes I know he's not around any more but it seems like whoever makes the decisions is losing site of the magic and the meaning of what walking up Main Street means to people. I know when I'm in Magic Kingdom walking up Main Street I just feel the magic.

I just don't know any more. My site of the magic is getting dimmer and dimmer because of these changes that Disney never wanted in the first place.

Don't even get me going about Avatarland. I mean that's not Even Disney. Soon Disney World will be like Universal Studios... Not that i'm saying Universal Studios is a bad place but when you think of Disney World you think of all the magic and the good memories...not Starbucks..
I haven't read all of the replies, so I apologize if this was already discussed, but corporate presence/sponsorship has ALWAYS been a part of Disneyland/Disney World.

I remember entire attractions that prominently advertised their corporate sponsorship:

http://disneybiz.com/2010/sponsors/

Quote:
In the early days of Walt Disney World, many attractions had sponsors. Space Mountain was originally sponsored by RCA, then FedEx. If You Had Wings was sponsored by Eastern Airlines, who mysteriously keeps coming up in my articles. After If You Had Wings closed, Delta sponsored the Delta Dreamflight. When EPCOT Center opened, every pavilion in Future World had a sponsor:

Spaceship Earth was sponsored by the Bell System, then AT&T
Exxon sponsored Universe of Energy
Horizons (which opened one year later) had General Electric for its sponsor
World of Motion, as Test Track is today, was brought to guests by General Motors.
Journey Into Imagination and its successors have all been presented by Kodak.
Kraft was the original sponsor of The Land
When The Living Seas and Wonders of Life opened years later, they both opened with their own sponsors (United Technologies and MetLife respectively). There are more examples, but it was a fact of Disney life that many attractions had sponsors.

Today, the sponsorships seem to have diminished. Future World is the most noticeable area:

Spaceship Earth went without a sponsor when AT&T pulled out in 2003 until Siemens took over in 2005.
Exxon ended its sponsorship of Universe of Energy in 2004
Horizons lost General Electric in 1993; the pavilion languished in seasonal operation until it was closed for good in 1999. Mission: SPACE does have Hewlett-Packard as a sponsor, however.
Nestle sponsored The Land after Kraft, but the agreement ended in 2009.
The Living Seas lost its sponsor in 2001 and never had another.
MetLife pulled out of Wonders of Life in 2001; the pavilion was eventually demoted to seasonal operation from 2004 until it closed in 2007.
Many companies are still sponsors in Walt Disney World. The two most prominent are Kodak and Coca-Cola. Kodak, in addition to the Imagination pavilion, sponsors the park maps, “Picture Spots” throughout the parks, MuppetVision 3D, and the photo centers in the parks. Coca-Cola presents Club Cool with its beverages from around the world as well as Casey’s Corner and other eateries. However, sponsorships are more scarce than they were in the early days of Walt Disney World, especially in the two newer parks. Only Kodak is listed as a sponsor of Duka la Filimu, a camera center, in the Animal Kingdom park map.

Why are companies more hesitant to sponsor attractions today than they were years ago? I have a few theories.

First, Disney sponsorships are not easy to fit into a marketing budget. The AT&T Spaceship Earth contract was a $50 million deal in 1992; not small change even today, despite that millions of guests saw and heard AT&T’s name with every trip aboard Spaceship Earth. For reference, the Siemens contract is worth $100 million, but I believe it also includes Illuminations: Reflections of Earth.

Second, even though a company’s name is on the attraction’s marquee, announced to the guests during the ride, and printed in the park map, how can a company be certain the advertising is helping? Unlike, for example, a television commercial that runs for a short length of time, this long-term agreement is more difficult to measure. With all that goes on in Walt Disney World, how can a company tell that its message isn’t being lost in the noise?

Also, does Disney really need attraction sponsors anymore? Does Disney make enough money to not have to worry itself with sponsors? Probably so, but selling $50-100 million contracts in return for putting a company’s name on a sign and in park maps and tailor the attraction’s message to that company is a pretty good deal for Disney. Many of the attraction sponsors brought us welcome changes. The 1993 AT&T contract for Spaceship Earth gave us the Jeremy Irons narration, and the 2005 contract with Siemens sparked an extensive refurbishment of Spaceship Earth’s animatronics as well as the magic wand’s demolition. Of course, some attraction changes were a catastrophe, such as Kodak’s 1999 Journey into Your Imagination debacle.

As I page through a Walt Disney World pictorial souvenir book circa 1991, the attraction sponsors are even mentioned in this book. It’s obvious to me Walt Disney World would not be the vacation destination it is today without the help of sponsors. I do think sponsorships are still worthwhile and help to maintain the attractions. Perhaps Animal Kingdom would be better off with a few sponsors.
Here are current corporate sponsors:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/l...ponsors.33241/

Quote:
AAA - American Automobile Association
Hospitality Desk in the Magic Kingdom at both Walt Disney World and Disneyland. Also, has an office at the Car Care Center.

Acushnet Company
Provides golf balls to Walt Disney World.

American Farm Bureau
Exhibitor at the Innovention's attraction at Epcot.

Alamo/National Car Rental
Sponsors Main Street Vehicles at the Magic Kingdom at both Walt Disney World and Disneyland. Also, has a rental office located at the Car Care Center. National provides all the fleet and company vehicles for Walt Disney World.

Bally Retail
Bally of Swizerland is located in the Grand Floridian carrying fine men's and women's accessories: Handbags, scarves, wallets, luggage, briefcases, shoes, belts, neckties, and a wide variety of gift items.

Banfi S.p.A
Almond Garden Shop located in the Italy pavilion carries Italian chocolates, candies, wine tasting, and accessories.

Bass Beer
Pub in the United Kingdom Pavilion

Brauerei Beck GMBH & Co.
Beer Garden in the Germany Pavilion

Brunswick Marine Power
Provides boats and motors, Roadmaster bikes, and Zebco fishing gear

Cerveceria Cuauhtemoc Moctezuma
Malt Beverage in the Mexico Pavilion

Coachmen
"Official Recreational Vehicle of Fort Wilderness Resort and Disney Wide World of Sports".

Coca Cola
Provides softdrinks, water and juices to Walt Disney World and the Disneyland Resort. Also hosts Electric Umbrella, Cosmic Rays, Casey's Corner, Backlot Epxress, and Studio Catering. Dasani water also sponsors the Full and Half Marathon.

Dole Fresh Fruit Company
Hosts Aloha Isle Juice Bar at Magic Kingdom, Tiki Room and Juice Bar at Disneyland.

Energizer
"The Official Batteries/Flashlights of the Walt Disney World Resort". Also, sponsors Star Tours at both Walt Diseny World and Disneyland Resort.

First USA Bank
Exclusive issuer of the Disney Co-branded credit card. Includes all of the Bank One ATM machines across the Walt Disney World property.

Florida Hospital
Operates the Centre Care facility in Lake Buena Vista and provides health information to cast members.

Footlocker
Sponsors the Walt Disney World Marathon, 1/2 Marathon, Family Fun Run, 10K Classic, and the Cross Country Classic.

Frito Lay
Provides all salty snacks at both the Walt Disney Resort and the Disneyland Resort. Also, sponsors Typhoon Lagoon and named the baseball stadium at the Walt Disney Wide World Sports Complex, Cracker Jack Field.

General Motors
"The Official Vehicle of the Walt Disney World Resort". Also, sponsors the Epcot attraction, Test Track.

Georges Duboeuf
Les Vins de France shop in the France pavilion carries wines and accessories. Wine tasting is also available.

Guerlain, Inc.
La Signature shop located in the France pavilion carries personal accessories, make-up and perfumes.

Haagen-Dazs
Provides various ice cream products across Walt Disney World and Disneyland Resort.

Hasbro
"Official Toy & Game Company at the Walt Disney World Resort and the Disneyland Resort." This includes a Hasbro Toy Store, "Once Upon a Toy", located at Downtown Disney. Also, sponsors all of the children's centers across Walt Disney World property and is represented with giant icons at the new Disney's Pop Century Resort.

Hewlett-Packard
Sponsors Mission: Space at Epcot and the Fireworks display at Disneyland.

Hunt-Wesson
"The Official Popcorn of Walt Disney World and Disneyland."

International Business Machines (IBM)
Exhibitor, "Networked Living", at Innoventions West at Epcot.

International Motor Speedway (IMS)
Sponsors the Tomorrowland Speedway at the Magic Kingdom.

J.M. Smucker Company
Displayes product in the windows of the Yankee Trader and in the Main Street Merchandise windows. Sponsors the Character Breakfast at the Soundstage Restaurant at Disney's MGM Studios and the Cape May Restaurant at the Beach Club Resort.

Kellogg's
"The Official Sponsor of breakfast at the WDW Resort".

Kirin Brewery Company
Provides the malt beverage in the Japan Pavilion.

Kodak
Official Imaging Sponsor of Walt Disney World Resort and Disneyland Resort. Also, sponsors the Imagination Pavilion, the Fantasyland Theater at Disneyland and all the camera shops and kiosks throughout the Walt Disney World Resort, including the Theme Park guidebooks.

Lutron
Exhibitor, "The Ultimate Home Theater Experience" at Innoventions West at Epcot.

McDonald's
Sponsors DinoLand at the Animal Kingdom and hosts fry cart throughout the parks at Walt Disney World and the Disneyland Resort. Also, operates restaurants at Downtown Disney and near the All - Star Resorts.

Miller Imports (Giuseppe Armani)
Sponsors merchandise shop, Sculpture D'Arte, in the Italy Pavilion.

National Fluid Milk "Got Milk?"
Sponsors the field house, "Milk House" at the Disney's Wide World of Sports Complex.

National Association of Underwater Instructors (NAUI)
Sponsors Shark Reef at Typhoon Lagoon.

Nestle
Sponsors the Land Pavilion at Epcot and the stroller, pet care and baby care locations throughout the Walt Disney World property and Disneyland. Nestle also has presence in many of the food and beverage locations throughout those properties.

P.J. Valkenberg
Hosts the wine shop, Weinkeller, in the Germany Pavilion.

Roots Canada
Provides Roots brand Canadian clothing, headwear, accessoriesn and cologne in Northwest Merchantile Store in Canada Pavilion.

R. Twinings & Company Limited
The Tea Caddy shop in the United Kingdom pavilion carries specialty tea items, china, candy and snacks.

Schering Plough Healthcare Products (Coppertone)
Sponsors Mickey's Mart at the Magic Kingdom and Singapore Sal's at Typhoon Lagoon.

Society of Plastics Industry
Exhibitor at the Innoventions attraction at Epcot.

Tappi
Exhibitor, "Forests for our Future", at Innoventions East at Epcot.

Toro
Sponsors "The Towne Green" special events area at Disney's Wide World of Sports.

Underwriters Laboratories

Visa USA
The Official credit card of Disney.

Whirlpool
So, what's the big deal about a Starbucks?

"Children are our most valuable natural resource."
- Herbert Hoover, 31st President, native of West Branch, Iowa
Deb in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:50 PM   #81
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylizard View Post
Really? I'll have to look for that know
I repeat,
THERE ARE NO MCDONALD'S PRODUCTS IN THE PARKS!!!!!
There used to be, but they are all gone.
smitch425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:55 PM   #82
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitch425 View Post
I repeat,
THERE ARE NO MCDONALD'S PRODUCTS IN THE PARKS!!!!!
There used to be, but they are all gone.
Now they just have their own kind of fries. Still pretty yummy, imho.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:56 PM   #83
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb in IA View Post

So, what's the big deal about a Starbucks?
http://www.talkaboutcoffee.com/is_starbucks_evil.html

Disclaimer- The views expressed in the link do not necessarily belong to luvmy3, they are provided for informational purposes only
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:03 PM   #84
anniemck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tar heel View Post
I don't believe the OP ever went to WDW in the 1970s. If there's one thing Disney has done from day one, it's jump into bed with whatever corporation was willing to foot the bill. There used to be an entire attraction that was an advertisement for an airline. Many attractions and eateries are and always have been "sponsored." Walt Disney was in the business of making money. I have no doubt he would have been wooing Starbucks like crazy because it's successful.

I think the posts about how pure and wholesome and not interested in the bottom line Walt was are some of the silliest that show up on the Dis Boards. How can people be that naive?

You mean the 70's, back when the now Buzz Lightyear ride was Eastern Airlines, before it turned into Delta Airlines. The ride was the same basic premise under both airlines... making you dream about your next vacation... how many remember the Eastern Airilnes Song....
If you had wings, if you had wings,
If you had wings, had wings, had wings, had wings.

Official Disney Freak...
Presidents Day Weekend Twirlmania 2000-2012
Halloween 2011
Mothers Day, August, September, Osborne Family Lights 2012
DCL Wonder March 2013
15 cruises on other lines since 2007
6 trips to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge since 2009
Love vacations...
anniemck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:08 PM   #85
daemom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniemck

You mean the 70's, back when the now Buzz Lightyear ride was Eastern Airlines, before it turned into Delta Airlines. The ride was the same basic premise under both airlines... making you dream about your next vacation... how many remember the Eastern Airilnes Song....
If you had wings, if you had wings,
If you had wings, had wings, had wings, had wings.
I remember the song!!! When I went this ride didn't require a ticket!! We loved it and thought it was such a great ride even though it was "free"!!
daemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:13 PM   #86
anniemck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandmouse View Post
Unfortunately, we are. That is the problem I have with this. It isn't just the coffee, it is the entire menu. Most of the wonderful pastries/food that we are used to from the Main Street Bakery will go away or be sold elsewhere on property.

I wonder if the Disney folks will still be pumping out the original bakery smell to trick us into going into the bakery, but alas, when we get inside, it is the awful Starbucks food.

I have no desire to drink coffee of any brand when its 90 degress with matching humidity.

This is a lot different than "featuring" Edy's ice cream or Stouffers mac and cheese, etc.
Starbucks does sell iced drinks as well as the frozen... much better idea in the heat.

Official Disney Freak...
Presidents Day Weekend Twirlmania 2000-2012
Halloween 2011
Mothers Day, August, September, Osborne Family Lights 2012
DCL Wonder March 2013
15 cruises on other lines since 2007
6 trips to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge since 2009
Love vacations...
anniemck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:18 PM   #87
Deb in IA
Knows that KIDS are better than cats
When do we leave for that nice long Hawaii vacation?
I'm a wimp, and I don't like food that hurts to eat

Quote:
Originally Posted by daemom View Post
I remember the song!!! When I went this ride didn't require a ticket!! We loved it and thought it was such a great ride even though it was "free"!!
Exactly! It was essentially all a big commercial for Eastern Airlines!

"Children are our most valuable natural resource."
- Herbert Hoover, 31st President, native of West Branch, Iowa
Deb in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:21 PM   #88
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightlessDuck View Post
Yay!

/the ice cream, they ruins it, my precious!
I can't even begin to process this line of thinking. Oh well. More for me.

Out of curiosity, have you tried all the different combinations of ice cream? My personal favorite is the pineapple/vanilla swirl with the float. Not a fan of the pineapple/orange swirl, though. Straight pineapple comes in second for me.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:29 PM   #89
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaDeeDooDah View Post
Out of curiosity, have you tried all the different combinations of ice cream? My personal favorite is the pineapple/vanilla swirl with the float. Not a fan of the pineapple/orange swirl, though. Straight pineapple comes in second for me.
I've done the pineapple/pineapple and didn't like it. And I love pineapple. I am thinking of trying vanilla and Coke sometime. But that's just softserve.

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:09 PM   #90
LittleMissMagic
Victoria on Vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by minniecarousel View Post
I do recall that Walt said he wanted to create a park that parents and kids could enjoy together. I also believe that his loathe of carnival-type games was well known. So putting the carnival games in the California Adventure Park seemed odd to us. We just skip that part - it doesn't interest us in the least.
He didn't loathe carnival games - he disliked carnivals and the rowdy crowds they attracted. Back in the day, the only type of amusement park that existed were the carnivals and similar attractions of the boardwalks that were the setting of many crimes and rowdy behavior. Not to mention, they were dirty, rides often broke down, and anyone could enter. That is why one of his first requirements of Disneyland was that there was an entrance fee - so that not just anyone could walk around in the park.

Ironically, that is the atmosphere (err... without the crime) that they were trying to recreate with the Paradise Pier area of California Adventure. And that's why it's one of the more controversial areas of the Disney parks...
LittleMissMagic is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: