Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2013, 11:45 AM   #61
Lemonademouth
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimblebee View Post

I don't care one way or another if Starbucks is in the Magic Kingdom or not. It always amuses me when someone says it's not what Walt wanted. Where is the quote of him saying please, let's never put Starbucks in the park?
This is how I feel. I don't drink caffeine in anyway outside of a unsweetened iced tea every blue moon, so I couldn't care less who is supplying MK, or any other establishment with their coffee. I've read other threads of people going on about Disney being in cahoots with coca cola too. "How dare they give me only one option of syrup sugar and whatever else they put into sodas these days". I don't care. Even when I did drink sodas I didn't care. If somewhere did not have 'my brand' I would drink water. It's better for you anyway... Or something with electrolytes. Ranting now.., sorry to hijack the thread to rant, but I just do not get the big deal. All the theme parks here in Va have Starbucks in them, and IMHO it does not ruin the magic or feel of Busch Gardens.
Lemonademouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:06 PM   #62
sunshinehighway
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61 View Post
I'm not anti starbucks, I'm not anti coporation sponsorship. I just think that you should at least attempt to have some creative control over how that sponorship is developed. I think it's more of a nostalgia thing for me. My magic has dimmed a lot simply because I just don't see the "imagination" being developed. Basically IMO disney is simply rehasing old ideas.

One thing that makes me want to cry is the DTD area. It's a waste land pure and simple. pleasure island is simply a dump, there is no other way to describe it. empty warehouses, sound echoing as you walk through and the only thing they could think to add is a glorified bowling alley? really?

Test track upgrade is meh, I simply can't believe that this is the best that imagineers can do and don't even get me started on Captain EO. It was lame 30 years ago when it first came out.

New bakery in france. No detailing, nothing. you basically walk through a gift shop to stand in a cafeteria style cue. Use to be a time when you could at least pretend to be sitting in a Parisian cafe. Come on disney, your supposed to be the leaders in imagination. I've seen better stuff from kindergardeners.

So my concern is that this new starbucks is going to look exactly like the one in Philly, which looks like the one in Washington, which looks like the one in Seattle. Ooooh how original. If that's the case why close the old one. why not simply start selling the coffee and stick a mermaid in the window.

and to add: I was in the parks last week for spring break, could not find my cinnamon roll any where so that was sad. I was told there were in the new fantasy land but I couldn't find them in Gastons tavern or any where. boo-hoo.
The cinnamon rolls are sold in Gaston's Tavern. At least they were a few weeks ago. I assume you mean the huge ones from the Main Street Bakery. I didn't have one but while I was taking pictures at the fountain, I saw people coming out of Gastons with them.
sunshinehighway is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-03-2013, 12:44 PM   #63
minniecarousel
Chris Isaak fan
I'll take my earthquakes over tornadoes & hurricanes any day!
What's up with ruining corn by "creaming" it?

I do recall that Walt said he wanted to create a park that parents and kids could enjoy together. I also believe that his loathe of carnival-type games was well known. So putting the carnival games in the California Adventure Park seemed odd to us. We just skip that part - it doesn't interest us in the least.

As far as corporate sponsorship, I first went to Disneyland back in the 60's. There were so many attractions that were sponsored! Starkist Tuna Boat, UpJohn Pharmacy on Main Street, Dole pineapple & whip, Coke Corner...to name a few. That wasn't against Walt Disney's idea at all.

And I love my Starbucks! The coffee in Disneyland was always so bad.

minniecarousel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:19 PM   #64
2girls4me
DIS Veteran

We have no idea how Walt would feel about all this.

Change is good.

Should Disney make its own coffee and everything else? I mean it's Starbucks. Just coffee. Why is this a big deal?

And isn't the first rule of business not to invest your own money. Should the disneys remove all corporate sponsors from the parks?

DH:

DD (3):

DD (6 months):
2girls4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:49 PM   #65
NHdisneylover
Lanyards are taking all my poor organizatioanl skills
mice and such creatures tend to like to travel aorund

as other's have pointed out--corporate sponsorship have been around since the get go. I don't see a big deal with that.

I agree that Walt was opposed to carnival game--but as truly a part of the theming in just one small part of one park, I feel that is probably still very much within his vision.

Probably the biggest departure from his original vision are all the coaster and other rides with minimum heights. In Walt's park, everyone could ride everything together (the Matterhorn did not have a minimum in the beginning). We all know he didn't want parents stuck sitting on a bench watching their kids--but I think it is fair to say he also did not want kids sitting in strollers while their parents did baby swaps to ride without their children.

I am not arguing that there should be no coasters or other "big" rides--but I DO think it is the BIGgest change from what Walt wanted and stated that he wanted for his parks to be.

My blog about my wanderings and ramblings in Europe, Disney and where ever else life takes me:

http://hadleyswanderingsandramblings.blogspot.de/
NHdisneylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:51 PM   #66
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

I don't like the coffee they have now, but I don't think Starbucks is anything to write home about either. I don't care one way or another as long as they disguise it. I don't want it to look like a Starbucks.

AS far as their pastries, YUCK. Sorry, nothng good about those things. Ok well I do love their Lemon pound cake. I was once sold a piece of pumpkin bread that was "so good it will make you slap your grandma" Sorry my moms is way better. lol I do hope they keep the WDW pastries, even if for no other reason but, it is the way it has been in the past. It works. I don't see any need for Starbucks to toally invade WDW and as long as they don't I am fine. JUST DON"T CHANGE THE DECOR OF THAT BAKERY. Rant over.
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:51 PM   #67
CaliBear
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightlessDuck View Post
Actually, Nescafe is more evil, because it is owned by Nestle.
Exactly! Nestle is one of the world's most profitable corporations and has a long history of controversy. How is replacing Nescafe with Starbucks becoming more corporate?

Besides, it will be so subtle. I've eaten at the Fiddler, Fifer, and Practical over at DCA, which serves Starbucks. It is delicious and seamless with the Disney theming, and no, it isn't just a transplanted Starbucks like some posters are saying Main Street Bakery will be.

On a less serious note:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam81
I hope the entire thing burns to the ground. Walt must be rolling in his grave! I have written no less than 10 letters a day to Disney BEGGING to not allow Starbucks to invade Main Street!

What's next Coca-Cola? Kodak? Nestle? Visa? Where does it end? The magic is gone.
Sam, you are killing it in this thread!
CaliBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:59 PM   #68
Sam81
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsjax View Post
I was once sold a piece of pumpkin bread that was "so good it will make you slap your grandma" Sorry my moms is way better. lol
I thought your mom's was a little dry. But it was still good.

Any publicly traded company is pure evil! They should build a huge confession booth for those of you who partake in this Starbucks ritual. You will need to pray for your sins to Walt's vision.
Sam81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:03 PM   #69
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBear View Post
Exactly! Nestle is one of the world's most profitable corporations and has a long history of controversy. How is replacing Nescafe with Starbucks becoming more corporate?
FYI, Disney is replacing NesCafe with Joffrey's everywhere else.

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:04 PM   #70
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by minniecarousel View Post
I do recall that Walt said he wanted to create a park that parents and kids could enjoy together. I also believe that his loathe of carnival-type games was well known. So putting the carnival games in the California Adventure Park seemed odd to us. We just skip that part - it doesn't interest us in the least.

As far as corporate sponsorship, I first went to Disneyland back in the 60's. There were so many attractions that were sponsored! Starkist Tuna Boat, UpJohn Pharmacy on Main Street, Dole pineapple & whip, Coke Corner...to name a few. That wasn't against Walt Disney's idea at all.

And I love my Starbucks! The coffee in Disneyland was always so bad.
Important thing to note: No corporate sponsorship means no Dole sponsorship. No Dole sponsorship means NO MORE DOLE WHIPS

We must be very careful what we wish for.

*1993 - CBR* *1996 - CR* *1999 - Poly* *2005 - College Program* *2005 - CBR* *2006 - Off site* *2008 - ASMu* *2012 - Pop* *2012 - POR* *2013 - All Star Sports* *2013 - Disneyland* *2014 - ASMO* *2014 - AoA* *2014 - WL* *2015 - POR* *2015 - CR*

JennaDeeDooDah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:15 PM   #71
manning
Just for that I have requested it be left open!!!
We each have a sore spot....My butt and her right foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitch425 View Post
McDonald's is not in any of the parks. They haven't been for years. Walt was a business man. There is no way to know if he would have made the same changes or not. The man has been dead for decades. Times have changed, and businesses have to make adjustments based on the needs and wants of their customers.

Totally with you on the Avatar thing. Dumbest idea ever.
Walt was the creative one. His brother Roy was the business man. If it wasn't for him a lot of that stuff would not have been built.
manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:16 PM   #72
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam81 View Post
I thought your mom's was a little dry. But it was still good.

Any publicly traded company is pure evil! They should build a huge confession booth for those of you who partake in this Starbucks ritual. You will need to pray for your sins to Walt's vision.
Hey, don't you be talkin about my mamma YOu do have a great sense of humor.

My kids all partake in the Starbucks ritual, I will need a direct line to Walt confession booth.
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:21 PM   #73
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaDeeDooDah View Post
Important thing to note: No corporate sponsorship means no Dole sponsorship. No Dole sponsorship means NO MORE DOLE WHIPS
Yay!

/the ice cream, they ruins it, my precious!

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:45 PM   #74
CaliBear
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightlessDuck View Post
FYI, Disney is replacing NesCafe with Joffrey's everywhere else.
I'd never even heard of Joffrey's until this thread. I had to google. Tampa-based and the article I read said they were coming up with unique blends for the properties. I'd think people would be thrilled over this especially.
CaliBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:26 PM   #75
Disneyland1084
OH PLEASE SOMEBODY TELL ME!
I'm not going to let that chickenhead nugget bother me
HEY!! Where is everyone?

I started a thread years ago that asked "What would Walt have wanted?" One person said "Maybe Walt wouldn't have approved of some of the changes and add ons to Disneyland, but he would approve of all the happiness it brought to people." That's true. I think an expansion to Disneyland instead of California Adventure would have been better and more of what Walt would have wanted, but what's done is done.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: