Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2013, 06:49 AM   #31
Pooh2
DIS Veteran

Mmmm.. If Disney put a Dunkin Donuts in each park, I would never have to leave the property!
Pooh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:53 AM   #32
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

question, along with the starbucks coffee are we going to get those horrible starbucks pasteries?
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-03-2013, 07:22 AM   #33
Janepod
The new dinning plan is out. Need to get those ressies in!

If Walt Disney was concerned about his vision being subverted, he could have chosen not to take the company public.

I don't think Disney, the company, has any more responsibility to hew to Walt's vision than Ford does to, say, only produce its cars in black. Times change and businesses have responsibilities to their shareholders. Certainly if the CEO, upper management and Board of Directors felt these changes were not going to make more money they would not implement them. However, as officers of a publicly traded company, they have a fiduciary duty to act in the best interest of the shareholders.

Clearly their decisions have been good ones, from a financial standpoint -- even as they raise admission and reduce promotional deals, the parks and hotels remain packed. Bravo to them.
Janepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:28 AM   #34
Sugardimples
DIS Veteran

I'm amused by these "Walt wouldn't approve" threads. How in the world does anyone know what Walt would approve or disapprove? Walt also said that Disneyland was not a museum and would never be completed. He might be the first in line at any new attraction, restuarant or even at Avatarland.
Sugardimples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:30 AM   #35
Grandmouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61 View Post
question, along with the starbucks coffee are we going to get those horrible starbucks pasteries?
Unfortunately, we are. That is the problem I have with this. It isn't just the coffee, it is the entire menu. Most of the wonderful pastries/food that we are used to from the Main Street Bakery will go away or be sold elsewhere on property.

I wonder if the Disney folks will still be pumping out the original bakery smell to trick us into going into the bakery, but alas, when we get inside, it is the awful Starbucks food.

I have no desire to drink coffee of any brand when its 90 degress with matching humidity.

This is a lot different than "featuring" Edy's ice cream or Stouffers mac and cheese, etc.

Last edited by Grandmouse; 04-03-2013 at 07:32 AM. Reason: addition
Grandmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:54 AM   #36
LittleMissMagic
Victoria on Vacation

I'd just like to point out that while Walt may have not been much of a "business man" - more of a dreamer and an innovator - Roy was. And without Roy Disney, there would be no Disneyland. Heck, without Roy Disney, there would have never been a Disney Studios. Walt went bankrupt before Roy. He needed Roy's logic and business knowledge in order to accomplish his creative visions.

It's also important to realize that Walt enjoyed progress. Just because something worked back in the 50s doesn't mean that it is logical today.

Also, Walt did rely a lot on other companies in order to make his dream a reality. As others have mentioned, he relied on corporate sponsorships in order to fund the construction of Disneyland. He made an agreement with ABC, making the company a major investor, and also gaining publicity for the opening of the park. It was commercial. But it was smart.

Walt didn't work because he wanted money. He wanted money so that he could put it back into his work. How do you think the Walt Disney Corporation funded the construction of New Fantasyland? Cars Land? And there are more projects on the board.

Has Disney had to compromise some of its original values in order to keep up with todays corporations? Of course. But I think that the values that they choose to maintain are the ones that set them apart from other businesses - high quality customer service and detailed attractions that make the Disney Parks an experience rather than just a destination.
LittleMissMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:56 AM   #37
LittleMissMagic
Victoria on Vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandmouse View Post
Unfortunately, we are. That is the problem I have with this. It isn't just the coffee, it is the entire menu. Most of the wonderful pastries/food that we are used to from the Main Street Bakery will go away or be sold elsewhere on property.

I wonder if the Disney folks will still be pumping out the original bakery smell to trick us into going into the bakery, but alas, when we get inside, it is the awful Starbucks food.
Actually, according to the Disney Parks Blog, they will still sell the classic Disney pastries.
LittleMissMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:59 AM   #38
msjprincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I have no desire to drink coffee of any brand when its 90 degress with matching humidity.

This is a lot different than "featuring" Edy's ice cream or Stouffers mac and cheese, etc.
Where did you hear that? That's the opposite of what Disney has said.
msjprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:02 AM   #39
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61 View Post
Or their gross hot chocolate? I don't really drink coffee, but I wouldn't mind if they carried their caramel apple cider.

And as long as we are slightly on the topic of corporate sponsorship, Why can't Metlife get their act together and come responsor Wonders of Life? Make it happen, Charlie Brown!

JennaDeeDooDah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:10 AM   #40
Mickey'sMainMami
I love playing video games!!
I also love playing with my nephew's toys!

I agree too that Disney has always used corportate sponsorship, so it doesn't bother me much. What I do miss however is when Mainstreet was not one big gift shop, and instead had the old arcade, magic shop, etc...

I can still deal with it however, because it's still Disney and I love it no matter what!

Me- my cat Tigger my dog Bubba

Mickey'sMainMami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:52 AM   #41
MichelleVW
I call them "the people that live in my house"

Quote:

Lol...I go in the cooler months and Starbucks sounds perfect to me!!
Old 04-03-2013, 08:58 AM   #42
ckay87
demented and sad...but social
This morning I had "you can't overlook your underwear" stuck in my head
Scared by a clapper in her teens

The magic I feel walking down Main Street is the magic of not having to cook, clean, work, drive people, and do laundry. I can stroll through Universal's City Walk (w/a string of chain places) and feel just as magical! Vacation is magic.

But others are right. This is no different from anything Disney has ever done. Plus... he's not God, Walt was just a business genius and that for sure lives on
ckay87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:06 AM   #43
FigmentFinder
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by msjprincess View Post
Why is Starbuck's more evil than Nescafe?
Atleast Starbucks has the decency to brew their coffee.

I never get threads about the evil corporate sponsorship at Disney. From my childhood I remember the pavilions being sponsored by somebody. Wasn't the intro and ending screen for Carousel of Progress sponsored by GE? I remember that ad for some reason. Maybe my mother made me sit in that show too much.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:07 AM   #44
Jaya
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tar heel View Post

I think the posts about how pure and wholesome and not interested in the bottom line Walt was are some of the silliest that show up on the Dis Boards. How can people be that naive?
Oh, agree wholeheartedly! Walt Disney was a visionary and a genius. He was also a businessman, with the bottom line FIRMLY in his sights. He ran a large corporation whose purpose was to make money. He was a fine man and a philanthropist to be sure, but Mother Theresa he wasn't. I have to laugh every time I hear someone cry "Walt would be turning in his grave if he could see THIS!"
Jaya is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: