Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2013, 07:06 AM   #1
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Parents: What do you think

My kids play sports (currently soccer). I take pictures during the games (action shots). Some (NOT most )of them come out pretty good if I do say so myself.

I've created my own web site, and installed software to put my pictures (the ones I select) up on the web. I can sort however I want.

I plan on putting up some of the pictures I took from the games, then emailing the coach the link and letting him forward on to the parents. Parents can then download what they want and print, save, whatever (including sending to family members).

The pictures won't have identifying information (maybe a first name) other than a date. The pictures could show players from the other team.

I am not profiting from any of this. The page does not come up with a google search. You'd only be able to get to it if you have the link. I could password protect the site, but would rather not.

So, since some people don't want images of their child online whatsoever, do you think this is good or bad?

Some things to keep in mind...
1) It was readily apparent I was taking pictures during the games.
2) Because of the size of the teams, I don't want to email each parent just pictures of their child.
3) The games were in public locations (city parks)

I will also use the site for various family events/work pictures/any photo that I want to share. So anyone I send the link to would be able to browse the various folders.
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:10 AM   #2
npmommie
Channels George Michael in her car...

Did other parents ask you to take photos of their kids? Honestly it would bother me a bit if someone was taking photos of my kid, I know its soccer and its not just one kid in a photo, but there is a main subject matter going on.
I would first ask the team parents if anyone objects. then do it.
If someone objects I would not photograph their kid. I realize its a public place, and you are free to do what you want, but since you asked, that is what I would do.
npmommie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-22-2013, 07:17 AM   #3
mickeyboat
Nothing like the cream and chocolate combination
Thank you for omitting the footwear today
Moons are a sign of intelligence and beauty

I would l"ove you forever and call you George" if you did something like that for my family. I don't have a fancy camera, so I don't always get great shots of my kids while they are playing sports. I would be thrilled that I might have the opportunity to get some. I would not be concerned about a privacy issue whatsoever if the website was not public.

So couldnít we all come to the conclusion that itís not the PLACE that counts, itís the people who contribute to it? - Delswife
mickeyboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:18 AM   #4
jrmasm
Last time I checked, it was still the thought that counted
Wanna debate that topic?
So elegant but goofy!!

It wouldn't bother me that you are taking pictures of my kid but I do think the pictures should be password protected and only available to the parents on the team.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:20 AM   #5
npmommie
Channels George Michael in her car...

I agree it is a nice thing, but why not just put out an email to the team parents to make sure they are ok with it.

and I also agree password protect is a good idea.
npmommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:22 AM   #6
worm761

I speak just to hear my own voice
I about died laughing when i heard that!!!

I would suggest that you blur the faces of any kids you don't have permission to post on the internet. I am not sure I would be very happy with someone putting my child's image on the internet without my permission or knowledge.
worm761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:23 AM   #7
NaLisa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmasm View Post
It wouldn't bother me that you are taking pictures of my kid but I do think the pictures should be password protected and only available to the parents on the team.
I agree with this, and I would have the coach ask all parents if they're comfortable with this before posting them online. You never know why someone might not want their child's pic online (e.g. adoption, bad divorce from abusive spouse, etc.)
Old 04-22-2013, 07:23 AM   #8
MEK
DIS Veteran

I was the "photographer" for my son's high school soccer team for the last two years. All pictures, not just mine, where posted to a shutterfly account that was password protected and could only be accessed by the team members. No one ever objected to this.

Make it an account that everyone can upload to in case other parents get the photography bug. Being able to download the pictures back to my computer was infinitely helpful when I had to do the banquet video.

Have fun.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:24 AM   #9
RunningGirl
DIS Veteran

I take photos at my kids games, and will pick out the good ones and put them up on a site where other parents can view, download, or print them. But it's invitation only and password protected. Otherwise I wouldn't do it. Everyone appreciates it.
RunningGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:26 AM   #10
LittleMissMagic
Disney Clemson Girl

There are a lot of legal issues when it comes to photographing children. Even though you are not profiting from this, you are supposed to have a signed form by the child's parent or guardian for each photo you publish. Does everyone do this? Heck no. And is publishing it on a non-profit website the same as printing it in a magazine or newspaper? No, not really. But it's always better to be cautious, especially when working with children.

I think it's great that you're photographing the kids and sharing the photos with the parents, but I think you should do it so that their photos aren't on a public website - just because you don't know when some crazy parent will freak out.

There are several different ways to do it. Like someone mentioned, you could password protect your website. You could also share in a different method. I use Dropbox a lot to share photos and files with people, and it's easy because it's free and goes straight to their computer. Google Drive is very similar, but I've never used it for photos before. But a sharing program like that would not only limit who can see the photos, but preserve the quality as well.
LittleMissMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:26 AM   #11
leebee
DIS Veteran

You really should password protect this file and tell parents to email/fb message you if they want the password. It's going to save you a lot of hassle, because parents ARE going to complain and you'll end up password protecting in the long run.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:26 AM   #12
happygirl
DIS Veteran

I think it's a great idea, sort of like a team online scrap book.
happygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:27 AM   #13
MEK
DIS Veteran

I also wanted to add that taking sports photos is an excellent way to learn how to use your camera's manual settings correctly and if you are so inclined local camera shops generally have specific distance lens that you can rent for closer action shots. That's if you don't already have a top of the line DSLR.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL

Last edited by MEK; 04-22-2013 at 07:39 AM.
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:28 AM   #14
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

I attended a youth sports webmaster clinic, and we were told you never ever post photos of the kids other than wide wide shots where you can't make out kids faces.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:28 AM   #15
sandynd
Rookie Desperado

Definitely password protect, and an email out to the parents would be great. I am a foster parent and we are not allowed to have pics of our kids on the net - I would get in big trouble and be investigated were these to show up - and eventually Google will get to it and show it in a search. I also agree with blurring kids faces if you can.
December 1990 - One day in MGM Studios
sandynd is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: