Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2006, 12:07 PM   #1
LLLRH
Mouseketeer

Which Fast Pass First?

I always was told I should get a Fast Pass for Splash Mountain first but lately everyone says Space Mountain. Which one should I get first? The dilemma's in my life! Also what time would be a good time to run over to DCA for fast passes? Thank you
LLLRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 12:17 PM   #2
iceskatejen
I did it 4 times during my trip and I enjoyed each and every one of them
Turns out I'm a thrill ride junkie
deep down, I just want a jungle man in a loincloth

I would say Space Mountain. It runs out of FPs earlier in the day than Splash does. The only caveat is that you'd want the Splash FPs to be for a time (starting window time as there really is no ending window) that's still warm enough to make Splash worth it. I hate walking around in wet clothes when it's cooling off. I don't ever FP Splash as I either single rider it or I'm with someone who needs to use the non-stair entrance (read: exit) to go on because they are either in a wheelchair or just can't use the stairs.
iceskatejen is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-09-2006, 12:37 PM   #3
blackjackdelta
Uncle had an "in" with Walt
I love those rainy days with the decreased crowds

Since there are 6 of us, we do IJ 1st, then ride the ride, then ride Jungle cruise, by that time the window would be open for SplashM is open, we grab the FP there and then ride the ride, then send a runner to SM to grab a FP when the window opens and so goes the day. As soon as each window opens we send a runner for another FP..doing most of this as early in the day as possible. The lines get incredibly long in August, so when it is hot, we are comfortable and not standing in many lines. Have fun.

Jack
blackjackdelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 02:46 PM   #4
HydroGuy
The code is more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules
Inquiring fairy minds want to know: Does Hydroguy like World of Color?

ETA Oct, 2011 - BLAB no longer has FP. Those machines are now dedicated to Star Tours. And BTMRR FP is no longer connected to the DL network as of August.

It depends on what you want to ride, how many times you want to ride it, and when you show up at he parks. Note that if you show up two hours after the park opens you will have lost about three FP opportunities.

So lets imagine two possibilities. First, the smart DLR visitor who arrives at the gates at least 20 minutes early (30 minutes is better). Second, the not so smart visitor who arrives two hours after the park opens. Aside from the fact that the smart visitor was able to get on 5-12 rides in the first two hours minutes and can then focus on other rides that always have short lines, lets look at the FP implications.

Facts to be aware of:

1. DLR accepts FP any time after its one hour window opens until park closing

2. After you get a FP, the next time you can get a FP is set by a minimum of 45 minutes or a maximum of 120 minutes, depending on what the return time is of the previous FP.

3. The DL and DCA FP systems are not connected, and thus FPs at one park have no influence on the other

4. The examples below are illustrative only - the real world of your group will dictate how practical it is to pick up your FPs. No one wants a FP Nazi dictator in their group, but everyone likes to avoid lines. You need to find the right balance for your group. In addition, it depends on where you are physically in the parks. If it is not practical to get a certain FP, then get the next most practical one when you have opportunity.

Smart Visitor:

Assume DL opens at 8AM - this is the order you should get your FastPasses in an ideal world. Modify this as necessary to fit your group, location in the parks, and available time.

1. Space Mtn (get FP @8:10AM - next FP time will be 8:55AM - you can use this FP anytime after 8:55AM)
2. Splash Mtn (get FP @8:55AM - next FP time will be 9:40AM - you can use this FP anytime after 9:40AM)
3. Indiana Jones (get FP @9:40AM - next FP time will be about 10:30AM - you can use this FP anytime after 10:30AM)
4. Buzz Lightyear (get FP @10:30AM - next FP time will be about 11:15AM - you can use this FP anytime after 11:15AM)
5. Big Thunder Mtn RR (get FP @11:15AM - next FP time will be about 12:00PM - you can use this FP anytime after 12:00PM)
6. Autopia (get FP @12:00PM - next FP time will be about 12:45PM - you can use this FP anytime after about 12:45PM)

It really is not that hard to do the above by 2PM as long as you start at 8AM. If you really want to focus as above, you can get one of everything by lunch.

There is one other FP opportunity at DL: Roger Rabbit. Roger Rabbit is not connected to the DL FP system and you can get one anytime you want without conflict with other DL FastPasses.

Further, I no longer get FPs for Autopia after realizing the FP return line can be a 25 minute wait. If I only had one day at DL, I would get an Autopia FP. But if I had multiple days, I would plan Autopia for an early morning thru the standby line.

Not So Smart Visitor:

Assume DL opens at 8AM, this visitor arrives at 10AM.

1. Space Mtn (get FP @10:10AM - next FP time will be about 12:10PM - you can use this FP anytime after about 3:00PM)
2. Splash Mtn (get FP @12:10PM - next FP time will be 2:10PM - you can use this FP anytime after maybe 6:00PM)
3. Indiana Jones (get FP @2:10PM - next FP time will be about 4:10PM - you can use this FP anytime after maybe 9:00PM)
4. Buzz Lightyear (get FP @4:10PM - next FP time will be about 6:10PM - you can use this FP anytime maybe 6:10PM)
5. Big Thunder Mtn RR (get FP @6:10PM - next FP time will be about 6:55PM - you can use this FP anytime maybe 6:55PM)
6. Autopia (get FP @6:55PM - next FP time will be about 7:40PM)

And, again, you can get Roger Rabbit any time you want.

OK, so what's the difference?

Well, in both cases the person got FastPasses for everything. But in the second case, one had to stay all afternoon at the parks to do it. In the first case, one could take a break back to a hotel or something and still have all their FastPasses. Or they could get FastPasses for a second ride on something. Or they could go to DCA and start collecting FastPasses. Or they could use their FastPasses in the afternoon when all other rides have the longest lines.

The not so smart person cannot ride many of the FP rides until the evening.

At DCA

Similar logic holds. Here is the ideal order to get FastPasses:

1. Soarin' over Ca
2. California Screamin
3. Grizzly River Run (on a hot day - otherwise this can wait til later)
4. Tower of Terror
5. Mulholland Madness

All of the DLR FastPass tips and tricks are discussed here:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=885132
http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=43193
DLR 11/2013 (Day Trip), 8/2013 GCH (CCI for D23 Expo), 10/2012 CCI, 07/2012 GCH, 08/2011 CCI (D23 Expo), 06/2011 GCH, 09/2010 BWPPI, 07/2010 GCH, 08/2009 (Day Trip), 05/2009 Doubletree Anaheim/OC, 11/2007 (Day Trip), 06/2007 BWPPI, 08/2006 (Day Trip), 11/2005 BWPPI, 08/2005 BWPPI, 07/2003 HoJo's, 07/2000 PPH, 1966-1998 Numerous Day Trips Including... 06/1981 (Grad Night)
WDW 05/2013 Swan, 02/2012 CBR, 03/2011 Dolphin, 05/2008 AKL, 06/2006 FW Cabins
DLR Paris 06/2007 - Newport Bay/Santa Fe/Holiday Inn (solo) - see my Trip Observations
Tokyo Disney Resort 11/2009 - SunRoute Plaza (with DS13) - see my Trip Report (with photos)
HydroGuy DLR Tips Compilation, DLR Abbreviations List, World of Color Superthread

Last edited by HydroGuy; 10-26-2011 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Fixed typo and updated GRR
HydroGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 03:21 PM   #5
LLLRH
Mouseketeer

Thanks for all the tips. HydroGuy thanks for the plan of action. I was wondering how long I would have till I could collect my next fast pass. DLR opens at 9am on Friday and I'll be at the gate by 8:30am!
LLLRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 11:31 PM   #6
Another^Dimension
//////////////////////////////////////

In this day and age.. I suggest Space Mtn.

Splash Fast Passes ASAP... but Space first/earlier.

The long mid day line for Splash can be by-passed by using Single Rider Passes... if your party doesn't really care if they all ride together.
(Obviously for buying the on-ride pics, this is not a good idea). But otherwise, even on a hot day in the middle of Splash Mtn's peak wait times... the Single Rider Line is great and good for a quick ride.

Space Mtn (DL) does not have a Single Rider Line at this time... if it did, I would rarely come home.
It sure would be great though!!!
Old 05-10-2006, 01:37 AM   #7
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Space Mountain. (We were at Disneyland two weeks ago.)
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 03:05 PM   #8
disneylandguru
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLLRH View Post
I always was told I should get a Fast Pass for Splash Mountain first but lately everyone says Space Mountain. Which one should I get first? The dilemma's in my life! Also what time would be a good time to run over to DCA for fast passes? Thank you
My perspective is that it doesn't really matter what order you get FastPasses in. Here's the rule I follow.

Morning: Collect FastPasses ..... Evening: Use FastPasses Strategy

(1) Make a list of the rides you really want FastPasses for

(2) As soon as you enter the Park, get a FastPass for one of the rides on your list

(3) Make note of the time on the ticket where it tells you the time when you can get ANOTHER FastPass. Make note of that time (or set the alarm on your watch)

(4) Enjoy your time in the Park but DO NOT use any of the FastPass tickets you have been issued. When the time comes when you can get another FastPass ticket, get one from whatever attraction you are cloest to at that time.

(5) Save your FastPasses and use them in the evening when lines are really long. As others have mentioned, FastPasses are honored throughout the day.

The benefit of this strategy is that you don't have to worry about being in a certain place at a certain time. Just enjoy your time wandering the Park(s) in the morning but save your FastPass tickets to be used in the evening.
disneylandguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 03:11 PM   #9
JenDisneylandlver
DIS Veteran

In our experience Space always seems to run out before Splash. So that's the first one we get. Next we get Splash, then Indy.
JenDisneylandlver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 03:16 PM   #10
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Another^Dimension, good point about the ride pictures. Also, your comment about never coming home made me literally laugh out loud. And considering how woefully sick I am right now, that's saying quite a bit for how much it amused me!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 03:22 PM   #11
Master Mason

Can't stand tomatoes in the larval stage

My summer strategy is to get
1. Space
2. Splash
3. Splash
4. Space
5. BTMRR

I can usually have all of these by noon starting at opening time, then it is over to DCA
1. Soarin
2 Grizzley
3. Screaming

With the exception of Soaring, we can usually ride the rides at the same time without much wait we are picking up fast passes so we get to ride all of these multiple times a day.

Then back to DL get
1. Indy
2. BTMRR
Master Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 08:56 PM   #12
HydroGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneylandguru View Post
My perspective is that it doesn't really matter what order you get FastPasses in. Here's the rule I follow.

Morning: Collect FastPasses ..... Evening: Use FastPasses Strategy

(1) Make a list of the rides you really want FastPasses for

(2) As soon as you enter the Park, get a FastPass for one of the rides on your list

(3) Make note of the time on the ticket where it tells you the time when you can get ANOTHER FastPass. Make note of that time (or set the alarm on your watch)

(4) Enjoy your time in the Park but DO NOT use any of the FastPass tickets you have been issued. When the time comes when you can get another FastPass ticket, get one from whatever attraction you are cloest to at that time.

(5) Save your FastPasses and use them in the evening when lines are really long. As others have mentioned, FastPasses are honored throughout the day.

The benefit of this strategy is that you don't have to worry about being in a certain place at a certain time. Just enjoy your time wandering the Park(s) in the morning but save your FastPass tickets to be used in the evening.
The reason the FP order matters is that the more popular FP rides run out of FPs sooner in the day and - related to that - the FP return windows get further away faster in the morning. Thus if you get a Space Mtn FP, for example, at 11AM on a busy day the return window will be more than two hours away and thus you cannot get a FP for anything for two hours. Your FP opportunities are kind of frozen for those two hours. OTOH, if you get a BTMRR at 11AM (or almost anytime of day for that matter) the return window is 45 minutes away and you can get another FP in 45 minutes. Thus your FP opportunities are frozen only for 45 minutes instead of 2 hours. If you get your FPs in a certain order you can get more of them.

Further, if you are the type of family like ours that takes mid-day breaks you only have 4-5 FP opportunities before your break. Thus if you do not get the "right" FPs in the morning you will not be able to get FPs for certain rides at all.
DLR 11/2013 (Day Trip), 8/2013 GCH (CCI for D23 Expo), 10/2012 CCI, 07/2012 GCH, 08/2011 CCI (D23 Expo), 06/2011 GCH, 09/2010 BWPPI, 07/2010 GCH, 08/2009 (Day Trip), 05/2009 Doubletree Anaheim/OC, 11/2007 (Day Trip), 06/2007 BWPPI, 08/2006 (Day Trip), 11/2005 BWPPI, 08/2005 BWPPI, 07/2003 HoJo's, 07/2000 PPH, 1966-1998 Numerous Day Trips Including... 06/1981 (Grad Night)
DLR Paris 06/2007 - Newport Bay/Santa Fe/Holiday Inn (solo) - see my Trip Observations
Tokyo Disney Resort 11/2009 - SunRoute Plaza (with DS13) - see my Trip Report (with photos)
HydroGuy DLR Tips Compilation, DLR Abbreviations List, World of Color Superthread
Old 03-16-2008, 09:43 PM   #13
ballarinamom
DIS Veteran

Thanks Hydro Guy. I was wondering why that order

Me (44 yikes!) , DH (46) , DD (11)
ballarinamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 09:45 PM   #14
disneylandguru
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroGuy View Post
The reason the FP order matters is that the more popular FP rides run out of FPs sooner in the day and - related to that - the FP return windows get further away faster in the morning. Thus if you get a Space Mtn FP, for example, at 11AM on a busy day the return window will be more than two hours away and thus you cannot get a FP for anything for two hours. Your FP opportunities are kind of frozen for those two hours. OTOH, if you get a BTMRR at 11AM (or almost anytime of day for that matter) the return window is 45 minutes away and you can get another FP in 45 minutes. Thus your FP opportunities are frozen only for 45 minutes instead of 2 hours. If you get your FPs in a certain order you can get more of them.

Further, if you are the type of family like ours that takes mid-day breaks you only have 4-5 FP opportunities before your break. Thus if you do not get the "right" FPs in the morning you will not be able to get FPs for certain rides at all.
HydroGuy ... your reasoning that order DOES matter in terms of which FastPasses to get first makes a lot of sense. I guess my personal "system" is not an optimized one. It has worked for us in the past, but I can now see how your method is a better one.

Thanks for the info!
disneylandguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 10:16 PM   #15
HydroGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneylandguru View Post
HydroGuy ... your reasoning that order DOES matter in terms of which FastPasses to get first makes a lot of sense. I guess my personal "system" is not an optimized one. It has worked for us in the past, but I can now see how your method is a better one.

Thanks for the info!
I was not trying to criticize. If you only want to get a single FP for each FP ride and you are not taking afternoon breaks, then I can see how your approach would work fine and probably be more relaxed. If, however, someone wants to get more than one FP per ride, or is taking afternoon breaks as I mentioned, then I think the FP order matters more.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: