Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 03:38 PM   #1
kimmyann
DIS Veteran

Jurassic Park comparable to Dinosaur?

We are going to Universal next month & I was wondering if the Jurassic Park ride is comparable to the Dinosaur ride at Disney? I ask this because to be honest, the Dinosaur ride scared the daylights out of me & if Jurassic Park is just as scary, I think I will pass on it. I have a horrible fear of dinosaurs & the movie Jurassic Park gave me nightmares for a really long time. I know, it's silly to be my adult age, but it's just one of those fears.

2007(June)- HoJo Maingate East. Our first & cheapest trip to Orlando. Platinum Pass holders for Busch parks. Seaworld and BGT.
2009(June)- Disney. Port Orleans French Quarter.
2010(June)- The Palms Hotel & Villas. Seaworld, Aquatica, BGT & Clearwater beach.
2011(June)-Quality Suites LBV. Seaworld, Aquatica, BGT & Wonderworks.
2013(May)- RPR & Comfort Suites Maingate East. Universal, Seaworld & who knows what else.
kimmyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:13 PM   #2
mjohnson96
DIS Veteran

Well, it is pretty cool water ride like Splash Mountain with the big drop. If you are afraid of dinosaurs it can get pretty scary before the drop when the T Rex is supposed to be chasing you. DD 10 loves the ride but closes her eyes before the drop because of the T-Rex.

mjohnson96 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-02-2013, 06:13 PM   #3
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

With that sort of fear, I wouldn't go on it. It's pretty tense, hearing noises and seeing movement to the side, wondering if you're about to be attacked by dinosaurs. They did the ride really well.

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently maintaining 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:25 PM   #4
BrinkofSunshine
DIS Veteran

The scariest part is during/after the lift hill. There are raptors and other small dino's spitting at the vehicle, and the large T-Rex looms over the drop at the end. It doesn't last all that long though.

The rest of the ride is a boat tour of animatronics like Jungle Cruise, sans skipper.
BrinkofSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:37 PM   #5
kimmyann
DIS Veteran

Yeah, that's about what I thought so I will probably pass. I don't mind looking around at things (dinosaurs), but once they start moving I'm out. I figure I should be able to find something to occupy myself while the rest of the crew rides. When I rode Dinosaur at Animal Kingdom I just about had an anxiety attack & my eyes were closed through alot of the ride, the noises alone about did me in. Thanks!

2007(June)- HoJo Maingate East. Our first & cheapest trip to Orlando. Platinum Pass holders for Busch parks. Seaworld and BGT.
2010(June)- The Palms Hotel & Villas. Seaworld, Aquatica, BGT & Clearwater beach.
2013(May)- RPR & Comfort Suites Maingate East. Universal, Seaworld & who knows what else.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:42 AM   #6
BamaPrincess
Earning My Ears

Most of the ride is the tour, and to me the intense part is much less intense than Dinosaur at Disney. That part is also very very short.
BamaPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:45 AM   #7
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

Go to youtube and watch an onride video.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:36 AM   #8
kimmyann
DIS Veteran

Thanks Damo, I always forget about youtube. Just watched & it doesn't seem as intense as Dinosaur. I guess it will all come down to what kind of mood I'm in that day.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:37 AM   #9
KorbensMomma
Mouseketeer

To me Dinosaur was a much much more intense ride. It really hurls you around and is very jerky and strobe lighty. JPRA is smooth since you are in a boat until the splash down at the end. JPRA is my favorite ride at IoA. Like a pp said watch YouTube, but I would still give it a try. The majority of the ride is calm and serene with only a few mins of intense.

I think the alien section of the Great Movie ride at HS is worse that the Dino section of JPRA.
KorbensMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:55 PM   #10
ukool
Mouseketeer

I closed my eyes all through Dinosaur - even though i had watched on you tube and knew the worst part was near the end. I would go on Jurassic park though, ill just close my eyes when we get inside the building where the drop is. I love water rides and dont want to miss it.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:14 PM   #11
martymcflyy85
Earning My Ears

Dinosaur is way worse. Jurassic Park is not even scary for me, but Dinosaur scared the living daylights out of me.
martymcflyy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:24 PM   #12
ChrisFL
Disney/Universal Fan and MALE

Quote:
Originally Posted by martymcflyy85 View Post
Dinosaur is way worse. Jurassic Park is not even scary for me, but Dinosaur scared the living daylights out of me.
I agree. I don't like Dinosaur...its too loud and dark to enjoy it.

JPRA is a much different experience, it only gets bad at the end, and even then, it isn't very intense.

Disney Parks Visited: MK - EPCOT - DHS - DAK - DL - DCA - HKDL - TDL - TDS
ChrisFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:30 PM   #13
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

I'm more scared of Jurassic Park but only because I don't like big drops on water rides. The ride itself is really quite a bit milder than Dinosaur.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:26 AM   #14
TheAviator
I don't always live dangerously, but when I do, I prefer to do it at Taco Bell

The biggest difference is that JP is a lot smoother being a boat ride, I know Dinosaur is a little rough and jerky. But as far as being scared maybe I"m just different but JP is not scary to me at all. I can see how maybe a younger child could get scared at the end when the T-Rex makes its appearance, but other than that, I'm not seeing any major fear factor, just MHO.
TheAviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:24 PM   #15
princess_ariel_85
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by martymcflyy85 View Post
Same. Apart from the ending of JP the rides pretty smooth and your going at a pace where you can look at stuff as your going round.

I find Dinosaur panics me, especially when the big dinosaur starts chasing the car. I know the dinosaurs aren't real but it terrifies me all the same. DH finds it hilarious.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: