Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 11:08 AM   #1
AR81
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 649

Value AKV studio questions

Are there a lot of value AKV studios? In other words is it hard to book or become available because there are just a few? Is it possible to get 2 connecting AKV studios or it doesn't actually have to be connecting but right next to each other? Considering this for next years trip. Looking at renting the points and according to dvcrental.com they are approximately $767 for 5 nights for the time period I am looking at. I realize that what I am looking at is 2013 rates and I am sure the point value could change for 2014 but just looking at estimates. Comparing this to rooms at POP and even with the 15% discount under the new special each room would be $836 for 5 nights. Now this is a preferred pool view room rate- we wouldn't want a standard view at POP. If these are usually similar in price- AKV value studio renting points and a room at POP then I would be tempted to do the AKV scenario. The resort is definitely a step up and beautiful in the pics- I have never visited personally. I know the major thing people talk about is the size of the value studios. But if we are used to the small size of the POP rooms- it shouldn't be any smaller than that- correct? I would love to hear from anyone's experiences with the value studios. Also do you think it is worth to pay for a standard studio vs. the value studio? Is there a big difference in size between the two? Thanks in advance for all the help.

Edit-- When I stated $767 that was for each studio

Last edited by AR81; 04-02-2013 at 11:14 AM.
AR81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:23 AM   #2
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English
 
Marionnette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Pleasure Island
Posts: 6,773

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR81 View Post
Are there a lot of value AKV studios? In other words is it hard to book or become available because there are just a few? Is it possible to get 2 connecting AKV studios or it doesn't actually have to be connecting but right next to each other? Considering this for next years trip. Looking at renting the points and according to dvcrental.com they are approximately $767 for 5 nights for the time period I am looking at. I realize that what I am looking at is 2013 rates and I am sure the point value could change for 2014 but just looking at estimates. Comparing this to rooms at POP and even with the 15% discount under the new special each room would be $836 for 5 nights. Now this is a preferred pool view room rate- we wouldn't want a standard view at POP. If these are usually similar in price- AKV value studio renting points and a room at POP then I would be tempted to do the AKV scenario. The resort is definitely a step up and beautiful in the pics- I have never visited personally. I know the major thing people talk about is the size of the value studios. But if we are used to the small size of the POP rooms- it shouldn't be any smaller than that- correct? I would love to hear from anyone's experiences with the value studios- thanks... Also do you think it is worth it just to do the standard studio vs. the value studio? Is there a big difference in size between the two? Thanks in advance for all the help.

Edit-- When I stated $767 that was for each studio
There are only a few value studios at AKV (eight 2-bedroom lock-offs, which are essentially a studio and a connecting 1-bedroom unit) and they are all in Jambo House. They are very hard to get and are often booked up by DVC members, who own at AKV, at 11 months prior to the first day of arrival. There are no connecting studios.

The Value studios measure 316 sq. ft. A room at POP measures 260 sq. ft. But these numbers can be a bit deceiving because those 316 sq. ft. in the value studio also include the larger bathroom and the kitchenette area. The actual sleeping area is very small.

My own experience with a standard AKV studio is that they are very cramped when the sofa bed is open. I would never attempt to stay in a value studio if I wanted to be able to use the sofa bed for sleeping. It's just way too tight!

BTW, DVC point charts for 2014 are already out. DVC members are already able to book for early March 2014. The only change in price that you might see between now and next year would be whatever your DVC owner wants to charge per point for your rental.
__________________
Opinions, suggestions and comments are based on my own experience and should not be regarded as the absolute and only possible outcome of any situation.
Your mileage may (and probably will) vary.






Last edited by Marionnette; 04-02-2013 at 11:37 AM.
Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 04-02-2013, 11:27 AM   #3
AR81
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 649

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marionnette View Post
There are only a few value studios at AKV (eight 2-bedroom lock-offs, which are essentially a studio and a connecting 1-bedroom unit) and they are all in Jambo House. They are very hard to get and are often booked up by DVC, members who own at AKV, at 11 months prior to the first day of arrival.

The Value studios measure 316 sq. ft. A room at POP measures 260 sq. ft. But these numbers can be a bit deceiving because those 316 sq. ft. in the value studio also include the larger bathroom and the kitchenette area. The actual sleeping area is very small.

My own experience with a standard AKV studio is that they are very cramped when the sofa bed is open. I would never attempt to stay in a value studio if I wanted to be able to use the sofa bed for sleeping. It's just way too tight!
Kind of off topic but I noticed you are going to or a fan of BWV. Their standard studio rates are reasonable as well. I noticed there are daybeds in the BWV studio- are they actual daybeds or more like couches just for sitting? That would definitely be a plus- bed, sofabed and a small daybed...
AR81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:31 AM   #4
Lynne M
 
Lynne M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 8,924
DISboards Moderator

There are no connecting studios at any WDW DVC resort. Studios only connect to one-bedroom villlas (that's what makes up a lockoff two bedroom villa).

You can request adjoining rooms, but there's no guarantee they'll be next door to one another. They will try to get you as close as possible, but you may end up across the hall, down the hall, etc.

There are only a limited number of value villas at AKV; they're all in Jambo House. You'll need to be working with someone who owns at AKV prior to the 11-month window, so that the owner can call the day the window begins. Even then, you might not be able to snag a value villa; the low point cost understandably makes them very popular with members.
Lynne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:39 AM   #5
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English
 
Marionnette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Pleasure Island
Posts: 6,773

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR81 View Post
Kind of off topic but I noticed you are going to or a fan of BWV. Their standard studio rates are reasonable as well. I noticed there are daybeds in the BWV studio- are they actual daybeds or more like couches just for sitting? That would definitely be a plus- bed, sofabed and a small daybed...
There are no daybeds in the BWV studios. There is a queen-size bed and a full-size sleeper sofa in each unit.
__________________
Opinions, suggestions and comments are based on my own experience and should not be regarded as the absolute and only possible outcome of any situation.
Your mileage may (and probably will) vary.





Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:47 AM   #6
DisneyDiana
DIS Veteran
 
DisneyDiana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 522

If you want to get a value studio you must find an AKV owner at least a year before your trip so that you can work out the details and have them book for you at exactly 11 months out. You will most likely get your value studio if booked on the first day of your 11 month window.
__________________
DisneyDiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:02 PM   #7
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples
 
DebbieB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: PA
Posts: 46,526

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marionnette View Post
There are no daybeds in the BWV studios. There is a queen-size bed and a full-size sleeper sofa in each unit.
Some dedicated BWV studios have a small daybed. It's really a crib mattress designed for seating.
__________________
DebbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:04 PM   #8
gardenia
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marionnette View Post
There are no daybeds in the BWV studios. There is a queen-size bed and a full-size sleeper sofa in each unit.
We stayed in a BWV studio that something similar to a daybed - but more like a parsons bench with a 4" foam cushion on it. They might be calling that a daybed, but honestly, I wouldn't try sleeping on it.
gardenia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:08 PM   #9
dgagnon519
DVC member AKL since 2008
 
dgagnon519's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 730

I have stayed POP and AKL. AKL is my home resort. I love POP, but would never pick it over AKL especially if you are going to get it for similar pricing. The room size to me does not feel like a big difference. I always stay the value room at AKL when we stay so that I can save on points. The value rooms go very fast though.
The resort is amazing and worth it.
__________________
Absolutely Love Disney
2013 - Port Orleans Riverside - 2 nights
Beach Club Villas - 1 night
Animal Kingdom Lodge - 8 nights
Villas at Wilderness Lodge - 2 nights
Old Key West - 2 nights
Art of Animatition - 1 night
2011- Calypso Cay (off property) - 5 nights
Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo - 4 nights
Baylake Tower - 1 night
Saratoga Springs - 3 nights
Boardwalk - 2 nights
2010 - Old Key West - 4 nights
Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo - 4 nights
Animal Kingdom Villas Kidani - 4 nights
2009 - Pop Century - 10 nights
2007 - All Star Music - 8 nights
dgagnon519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:12 PM   #10
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English
 
Marionnette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Pleasure Island
Posts: 6,773

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
Some dedicated BWV studios have a small daybed. It's really a crib mattress designed for seating.
I guess that I never considered that as daybed since all BWV studios only sleep 4 (plus a toddler in the pack and play). That bench is so small! I can envision putting a toddler on it for a nap (instead of opening the sofa bed) but I don't think anyone older would be comfortable actually sleeping on it.
__________________
Opinions, suggestions and comments are based on my own experience and should not be regarded as the absolute and only possible outcome of any situation.
Your mileage may (and probably will) vary.





Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:02 PM   #11
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
 
Deb & Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 44,555

The dedicated studio with the deacon's bench used to be called Studio Plus and they could be requested. They no longer can be requested and are just the luck of the draw. The "mattress" is about crib sized. We had one on the one and only time we stayed at BWV about 2000. Our son was about five and he hated that thing.

Studios never connect to each other. Dedicated studios don't even connect to a one bedroom to make a two bedroom lockoff.

Any of the lower point options, like Value villas at AKV and standard villas at BWV, get booked up early by members who own at that resort.
__________________
Deb - DVC Member since '97
OKW and VWL Homes

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:35 PM   #12
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English
 
Marionnette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Pleasure Island
Posts: 6,773

I found a picture of the daybed/bench for anyone who is curious. The post shows the bench without any bed linens and then there's another picture of it made up with a small child sleeping on it.

http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...85&postcount=8
__________________
Opinions, suggestions and comments are based on my own experience and should not be regarded as the absolute and only possible outcome of any situation.
Your mileage may (and probably will) vary.





Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:13 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.