Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2013, 08:29 AM   #1
tinksgilrs251520
I want to be at WDW

Unhappy Dont know where to put this.. Am i out of luck

So we are going to Disney in 2014 and we are flying and dont have a rental car am i out of luck in trying to go to a beach??? without renting a car can we still go to a beach by other modes of transportation without breaking the bank?

tinksgilrs251520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:36 AM   #2
sunsetbeachgal
DIS Veteran

The nearest beach, either on the west or east coast of Florida, is an hour away. How about renting a car for a day or two?

Family Reunion trip at Disney ASMu Nov. 7-13, 2010. It was perfect

March, 2012 Disney getaway at Coronado Springs for the adults only!

October, 2012 went to Disneyland..and I've never seen such crowds anywhere in my life!

June 15-22, 2013. Family trip to WDW at POFQ First WDW Summer trip and it was fantastic!

March, 2014. Universal Studios and cruise on Freedom of the Seas
sunsetbeachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-03-2013, 08:36 AM   #3
AJKMOM
DIS Veteran

The closest Atlantic beach is, I believe, Cocoa Beach. About an hours drive. If you really wanted to go, you could rent a car for the day from the Car Care center or from the agency that has cars at, I think, the Dolphin. You would just have to research the exact companies.
AJKMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:36 AM   #4
outahere

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinksgilrs251520 View Post
So we are going to Disney in 2014 and we are flying and dont have a rental car am i out of luck in trying to go to a beach??? without renting a car can we still go to a beach by other modes of transportation without breaking the bank?
The closest beaches would be over in the Cocoa Beach area, which is a little over an hour from WDW. If you really want to go to a beach, I would suggest renting a car for one day from the WDW car care center, or one of the agencies at the hotels in DTD. There is also car rental available at the Swan/Dolphin. There would really be no less expensive way to get to the beach from WDW.

Disney Magic - April, 2004 / EB Panama Canal crossing - August, 2005 / Thanksgiving, 2006 / April, 2009 / February, 2011 / March, 2014
Disney Wonder - September, 2002 / April, 2007 / April, 2008 / Thanksgiving, 2009 / April, 2010
Disney Dream - April, 2011 / August, 2012 / February, 2014
Polynesian CL - August, 2004 / April, 2010 / August, 2010 / October, 2013
Yacht Club CL - August, 2011 / April, 2012 / August, 2012 / August, 2013 / April, 2014 / June, 2014
Grand Floridian Sugar Loaf CL - February, 2013
Wilderness Lodge CL - December, 2013
OKW - February, 2012 / June, 2013
VWL - August, 2006
WDW - offsite, more times than I can count since 1978
S/S Norway - 1984, 1985, 1991
Norwegian Pearl - Alaska - August, 2007
outahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:40 AM   #5
alohamom
DIS Veteran

I am sure there are other ways to get to the beach, perhaps a chartered bus or a day trip/tour. I would either email the orlando tourist board, look at the cocoa beach website or contact the hotel you are staying at, I am sure there is a way to get to Cocoa beach, it is such a direct short trip.
alohamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:45 PM   #6
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinksgilrs251520 View Post
Just did a one day rental at National for a compact car picking up at the Dolphin at 8:00 AM and returning at 8:00 PM. $47. For today. That's with no discounts. Go out to that site and play around with dates and discounts and see what happens. Seems to be the way to go. Try picking up the night before and returning when you return. Shouldn't be that much more.

Quite honestly, with going to a beach, I would want wheels I control so I can come and go as I like and not be on another's schedule.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:04 PM   #7
nkereina
Wendy Darling

We took a cruise out of Port Canaveral and stayed in Cocoa Beach the night before the cruise. We used a Mears shuttle to take us from the airport to the hotel (which was a stone's throw from the beach) and the cost was minimal. I don't remember what it was, but I know I wouldn't have booked it if I thought it was pricey. I'd imagine Mears could pick you up from WDW for an additional charge. If you want to spend a night at the beach, you could utilize ME to take you to the airport, and then have Mears pick you up from there. Or vise versa. We hate renting cars and driving on vacation so even though this sounds like more work, it was just easier from us. Also, Cocoa Beach was just under an hour from the airport.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:49 AM   #8
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkereina View Post
We took a cruise out of Port Canaveral and stayed in Cocoa Beach the night before the cruise. We used a Mears shuttle to take us from the airport to the hotel (which was a stone's throw from the beach) and the cost was minimal. I don't remember what it was, but I know I wouldn't have booked it if I thought it was pricey. I'd imagine Mears could pick you up from WDW for an additional charge. If you want to spend a night at the beach, you could utilize ME to take you to the airport, and then have Mears pick you up from there. Or vise versa. We hate renting cars and driving on vacation so even though this sounds like more work, it was just easier from us. Also, Cocoa Beach was just under an hour from the airport.
The only problem with that, (unless they just add a day on at the very end of their trip) is that each person is entitled to only one round trip on DME. If they use DME to get from the airport to their Disney resort, then utilize it again to go back to the airport to get a shuttle to the beach, then they've utilized their one round trip. Would they then be able to use DME again, to go back to the resort then back again to the airport? The whole reason Disney started DME was to discourage people from renting cars, so they'd be trapped onsite and have to spend their money there. Disney is not going to do anything to make going offsite easier. If you notice those DME vouchers Disney sends you, have a voucher for each person on the reservation. When you go back to the airport is the DME driver takes those vouchers from you.

Of course if they were just going to add a day at the end of their trip for a beach day, it'd work. I'd just rent a car for the day.
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: