Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2013, 05:07 PM   #16
danceintherain
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marionnette View Post
Waiting and hoping for discounts is what lead me to buy a couple of DVC resale contracts.

I guess you need to assess how you feel about a couple of things:
  1. Are you comfortable with tying up your money, which will most likely be non-refundable? Points cannot be banked after a certain time and last-minute cancellations place restrictions on how the points can be used, so members are not very willing to make changes or give refunds if you decide to cancel your trip.
  2. Can you plan your vacation more than 7 months in advance? DVC members can book their home resort 11 months in advance and any DVC resort 7 months in advance. As you get closer to arrival date, the more the resorts get booked up.
  3. Are you flexible with your choice of resorts and views? Some resorts are smaller and fill up quickly, so you're less likely to be able to get certain resorts at the popular DVC times (NYE, F&W, early Dec.).
  4. Are you okay with not getting daily maid service? (It's an additional charge if you want it. Otherwise, you will get fresh towels and trash service on specific days during your stay.)
  5. Will having a sofa bed instead of a second bed be a problem? Only OKW studios have 2 actual beds. All other studios include a queen-size bed and a full-size sofa bed.
  6. How comfortable are you with making your own vacation arrangements? Whoever you rent from will probably be willing to add the dining plan for you but you'll probably need to buy your own tickets and make your own ADRs. If you're flying, you'll need to book your flights but the DVC member you rent from can make the DME reservations once you have your flight numbers.

You should definitely read the **How to use this Board** on the DVC Rent/Trade Board as well as the linked posts for Potential Renters and the Point Rental Primer. It can help you decide whether renting points is a good fit for you.
Number 1 and 2 are the reasons that have kept me from trying out a DVC rental. Getting travel insurance would slightly mitigate #1. #2 is a different situation entirely, because I hardly ever know where I'm going to live 11 months in advance, let alone how vacation is going to fit in (I'm hoping that will change in a year or so, but the military is unpredictable - luckily they're offering the AFS discount).

As per discounts, I haven't seen many discounts in my 4 years of obsessively planning my Disney vacations that would get a Deluxe resort for the cost that many DVC rentals go for. The Monster pin that was out a few years ago was close (45% off any hotel) but discounts are getting harder to come by. Generally speaking, you can get a DVC rental for around the cost of rack rate at a Moderate resort. I think that's about as good as it gets as far as hotel costs at Disney go.
Now, if you would be perfectly happy in a value resort or possibly a moderate with a good discount (20-25%) then you may benefit from waiting for a discount.

For a bit of reference, I got 35% off (Armed Forces Salute discount) at Port Orleans French Quarter - Standard View for my trip next week. For 7 nights, my total hotel cost was a little over $1100. We also priced out the Wilderness Lodge - Woods View at 40% and it was going to be a little over $1800.
If I had opted to rent points through David's several months ago...I may have been able to get:
BLT Standard Studio - $1807
AKL Value Studio - $1235
BWV Standard Studio - $1404

So for us, the Moderate was the least expensive option. If we had been planning on staying at a Deluxe, then renting points would have been better (and that's with one of the best discounts available right now).
Even if "Free" Dining had been offered to us, renting points probably would have saved us the most money at a Deluxe. (3 adults and one toddler)

Either way, you'll definitely need to make up your mind soon.
NEXT TRIP: SoG Dec 28-Jan 4, 2015 ~ POFQ Apr 13-20, 2013 ~ CBR: Nov 7-12, 2010 ~ Doubletree Guest Suites: July 8-14, 2009 ~ AKL: Jan 4-13, 2009 ~ Off-Property: New Year's 2006-2007, Spring Break 2001, Florida Resident 1991
danceintherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:09 PM   #17
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxer View Post
Our trip is for early November (actually starting the last couple days of Oct). From the replies back, it sounds like we need to make our minds up ASAP if we have any hopes of getting a good resort.
You are already past the seven month booking time when members can book outside of their home resort. Plus with Halloween and the end of F&W, you need to book yesterday. You may be too late for a studio or a one bedroom.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-05-2013, 11:43 PM   #18
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxer View Post

Our trip is for early November (actually starting the last couple days of Oct). From the replies back, it sounds like we need to make our minds up ASAP if we have any hopes of getting a good resort.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if you're talking about 2013, you likely are out of luck for what you're looking for. The lowest-point cost villas are popular and very hard to come by. Standard view is part of the reason why I bought contracts at BWV and BLT.

You could probably get a couple of days here or there at one of the resorts you want, but it likely won't be 5-7 nights and it definitely won't be the low point-cost villas. As for what you could get for renting points right now? Probably OKW, SSR or AKL savannah view (standard view MAY be available, but not value). Research those three and see what you like. But the resorts with access to the parks book up really fast at that time of year and like Deb said, you're already past the crucial seven-month window.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/11 -- CR, 3/12 -- Windsor Hills, 10/12 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/13 -- BWV, 5/13 -- BLT, 10/13 -- YC CL, 5/14 -- BWV, 08/14 -- VGF/BLT, 12/14 -- BWV, 4/15 -- BLT, 10/15 -- BWV

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:46 AM   #19
mitchwebb
DIS Veteran

We are renting for our third trip with the same DVC owner. We learned the hard way in 2008 when we tried to get a week after Xmas at the 9 month window. The resorts we wanted were gone. This time our wonderful DVC owner was on the phone at exactly 11 months out and was able to get three of the four nights with the view we wanted. We are waitlisted for our first night.

We have been trying to rent points at GCV and it is next to impossible

DHDD13DD15DD21*

mitchwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:58 AM   #20
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchwebb View Post
We are renting for our third trip with the same DVC owner. We learned the hard way in 2008 when we tried to get a week after Xmas at the 9 month window. The resorts we wanted were gone. This time our wonderful DVC owner was on the phone at exactly 11 months out and was able to get three of the four nights with the view we wanted. We are waitlisted for our first night.

We have been trying to rent points at GCV and it is next to impossible
You're lucky that the owner is willing to do a waitlist for you. Most owners can't be bothered with keeping points available for the waitlisted days. They want to be able to bank the points or use them before their deadlines.

As for GCV, it's pretty much known that it's almost impossible to book there unless you are an owner.

Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:09 AM   #21
mitchwebb
DIS Veteran

The waitlist is actually for the same view we have for other days. Your right I doubt he would wailtlist in Dec.

DHDD13DD15DD21*

mitchwebb is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: