DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2013, 09:55 AM   #16
lodge
DIS Veteran

Good for you, asking in advance of your cruise. I've seen threads where points bought while on the cruise were then questioned upon return home, and the cancllation deadline drew near.
I wouldn't purchase something of this magnitude without serious research..... hard for me to do while cruising.
lodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:46 AM   #17
disneypoor
DH thinks I have a "thing" for Mickey!

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

We just cruised for spring break and wanted to add on a small number of points to what we already had. We got a $500 onboard credit. There were more incentives if you bought more points, but we knew what we needed going in to it so we stuck with the smaller contract.

We bought direct a few years ago and hadn't done any research. Not the smartest thing to do--I know. However, now that we've been members for a few years and are more educated about DVC than we were prior, we still bought direct. May still not be the smartest thing to do, but it is what we felt comfortable with. I think it is a personal decision and if you can afford it, do what you want. Now, if we were going to buy a large number of points again, I might buy resale. Basically, I'm no help at all.

Susan
11/06 Disneyland, 03/07 7 Night Eastern, 09/07 3 Nights on the
Wonder, 03/08 Cruise to the Hawaiian Islands, 11/08 DD on the Magic,
11/09 3 Nights on the Wonder and WDW, 07/10 Family Vacation to WDW,
02/11 3 Nights on the Dream, 06/11 Alaskan Cruise on the Wonder,
03/12 One Week in Maui, 07/26/12 Bay Lake Tower 1st DVC Stay,
03/16/13 5 Night DCL Western,
07/13 Villas at Grand California, 03/14 5 Night DCL Miami,
05/14 Bay Lake Tower, 08/15 1st trip to Aulani

Upcoming Trips: 03/15 Disney Wonder out of Miami, 07/15 Maui
Trip Reports: 06/06 Wonder, 03/07 Eastern, 06/11 Alaskan Cruise
disneypoor is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-03-2013, 12:23 PM   #18
RickFreeze
Mouseketeer

From all I have been reading and looking at numbers, I think the next few trips we have scheduled I will rent points, should be about 50 for our next trip, and then in a few years, when we have the money saved up, we will buy resale. It seems that we can get 2x the number of points for the same price as buying direct.
I do still have one question about buying direct. If I was to buy direct at one of the "old" DVC resorts that contracts end in like 2041 or there abouts, do the new purchases end at that time or is it the length of the original contract and thius ending in 2063 or whatever.

RickFreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:46 PM   #19
cseca
My legs are wimpy but my will is stronger...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFreeze View Post
From all I have been reading and looking at numbers, I think the next few trips we have scheduled I will rent points, should be about 50 for our next trip, and then in a few years, when we have the money saved up, we will buy resale. It seems that we can get 2x the number of points for the same price as buying direct.
I do still have one question about buying direct. If I was to buy direct at one of the "old" DVC resorts that contracts end in like 2041 or there abouts, do the new purchases end at that time or is it the length of the original contract and thius ending in 2063 or whatever.
Ends on the original end date.
Except for OKW which has some extended contracts out there for resale.
cseca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:07 PM   #20
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFreeze View Post
cseca is accurate. there is no benefit to buying direct except that OKW-2057 contracts can be rare in resales.

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:39 PM   #21
momtoleasawav
Mouseketeer

arent resale points only good at disney? not for trade through rbi on disney cruise lines? for some that may be a benefit. I am not a fan of being limited as to how I can use my points.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:40 PM   #22
momtoleasawav
Mouseketeer

oops lots of typos. That should say rci and for disney cruises
Old 04-03-2013, 09:03 PM   #23
Madhattr
Mouseketeer

Frankly money is no object to us. I understand it is to others.. We will enjoy our direct purchase purchase. Flame suite on!,,
Old 04-03-2013, 09:31 PM   #24
maiyoli
Mouseketeer

Hi we went on a Disney cruise in sept want we almost bought into it. But I told my husband lets wait, I remember
maiyoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:37 PM   #25
DisneyDiana
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhattr View Post
Frankly money is no object to us. I understand it is to others.. We will enjoy our direct purchase purchase. Flame suite on!,,
That is great for you!! I purchased my points with luxury money which I'm very happy to be in the position to have. I am very careful about spending and always have been that is just my nature. I don't think anyone wants to flame you. We are all free to make choices. It is just important that everyone has all the information so that can make the right choice for them whether it is through direct purchase or resale. I'm sure we will all equally enjoy our points. That is why we are here.

DisneyDiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:41 PM   #26
maiyoli
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiyoli View Post
Hi we went on a Disney cruise in sept want we almost bought into it. But I told my husband lets wait, I remember
Sorry didn't finish I told my husband about how many people were Selling their timeshares we should see if Disney has the same thing. We didn't know anything about dvc until the cruise. But my question for the people that buy direct is have you used it for a cruise? What does it give you. Everybody keeps telling me is that it's not worth it. So why buy direct?
maiyoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:53 PM   #27
heynowirv
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Totally uncalled for,and very antagonistic.
heynowirv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:08 PM   #28
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
Have you considered Golden Oak?

http://www.disneygoldenoak.com/?CMP=...49.13.MC.OL.01

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:26 PM   #29
Fan of Figment
Couldn't imagine life without WDW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
Have you considered Golden Oak?

http://www.disneygoldenoak.com/?CMP=...49.13.MC.OL.01

Bill
Hmm, first time I've heard of that. Guess you really do learn something new every day. Now, off to reserve my spot!
Old 04-03-2013, 11:00 PM   #30
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhattr
I was able to purchase our two contracts with cash and could have afforded direct prices. But beyond the fact that paying double made it nearly impossible to see any sort of savings on our accommodations, we also knew that all that extra cash would pay for a lot of flights to Orlando and quite a few years of annual passes. Different strokes, I guess.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/11 -- CR, 3/12 -- Windsor Hills, 10/12 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/13 -- BWV, 5/13 -- BLT, 10/13 -- YC CL, 5/14 -- BWV, 08/14 -- VGF/BLT, 12/14 -- BWV, 4/15 -- BLT, 10/15 -- BWV

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: