Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 12:03 PM   #1
Disneylvr
Mommy of Madelyn, Ebay Addict and Happy Scrapbooker
No longer addicted to the Creek
We could watch Wishes every night

Finger Scanner?

Now that my daughter is 10, will she required to do the finger scan at the park entrances. I don't think she is going to cooperate for that.
20+ Disney Trips Since 1985 - All Star Movies, All Star Music, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Caribbean Beach, Contemporary, Polynesian, Port Orleans French Quarter, Port Orleans Riverside and Wilderness Lodge

Disneylvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:22 PM   #2
zaksmom
Mouseketeer

My son is not physically able to do the finger scan. They tried once years ago. He couldn't get his hand in the correct position. Now they just take his card and run it through. They don't even ask. FYI he uses a wheelchair, so it might just be presumptive on the part of the CM that he can't use the finger scan. But I'd say he hasn't used it for at least 15 years.
zaksmom is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-02-2013, 05:21 PM   #3
LisaBi
DIS Veteran

My son also uses a wheelchair, and would be uncooperative about the scan. They have never even asked him to...they always have me use my finger for both tickets.
LisaBi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:32 AM   #4
chaoslobster
Earning My Ears

I can't use the finger scanner either; I have advanced arthritis in my hands and my fingers are permanently "clawed" in a position that won't accommodate the flat scan surface. It's never been an issue. I go through the entrance queue in my scooter and 9 times out of 10 I'm not even asked to use the scanner. If I am, I just explain the problem and it's not a big deal.

Disney's policy, I believe, is that park tickets can be swapped within a family group. For instance if a group visits the parks with two parents, six kids, grandparents and maybe an aunt or sister-in-law thrown into the mix, it isn't necessary to keep track of which physical ticket belongs to which specific person. At least that's how it's worked in the past. I only visit WDW once a year and haven't been since last summer so I'm not sure if the policy changed when the new RFID wrist thingers were announced.

Last edited by chaoslobster; 04-04-2013 at 04:33 PM.
chaoslobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:33 PM   #5
chaoslobster
Earning My Ears

Oops, double post by accident!
Old 04-04-2013, 05:46 PM   #6
Disneylvr
Mommy of Madelyn, Ebay Addict and Happy Scrapbooker
No longer addicted to the Creek
We could watch Wishes every night

Thank you everyone!
20+ Disney Trips Since 1985 - All Star Movies, All Star Music, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Caribbean Beach, Contemporary, Polynesian, Port Orleans French Quarter, Port Orleans Riverside and Wilderness Lodge

Disneylvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:59 PM   #7
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoslobster View Post
I can't use the finger scanner either; I have advanced arthritis in my hands and my fingers are permanently "clawed" in a position that won't accommodate the flat scan surface. It's never been an issue. I go through the entrance queue in my scooter and 9 times out of 10 I'm not even asked to use the scanner. If I am, I just explain the problem and it's not a big deal.

Disney's policy, I believe, is that park tickets can be swapped within a family group. For instance if a group visits the parks with two parents, six kids, grandparents and maybe an aunt or sister-in-law thrown into the mix, it isn't necessary to keep track of which physical ticket belongs to which specific person. At least that's how it's worked in the past. I only visit WDW once a year and haven't been since last summer so I'm not sure if the policy changed when the new RFID wrist thingers were announced.
To clarify - its not Disney's policy, but apparently sometimes tickets that were all purchased and used together for the first time will work that way.

They do still want you to keep your tickets separated and don't count on it working if the wrong person uses the ticket.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaksmom View Post
My son is not physically able to do the finger scan. They tried once years ago. He couldn't get his hand in the correct position. Now they just take his card and run it through. They don't even ask. FYI he uses a wheelchair, so it might just be presumptive on the part of the CM that he can't use the finger scan. But I'd say he hasn't used it for at least 15 years.
Many people could not reach the old finger scanners in a way that they could use them.
With the new scanners, many people who could not use them before will be able to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaBi View Post
My son also uses a wheelchair, and would be uncooperative about the scan. They have never even asked him to...they always have me use my finger for both tickets.
Someone suggested we do that for DD, but another CM advised us not to do that.
The reason is whoever scanned their finger for her ticket will always need to be with her. For example, if DH scanned his finger for her ticket, if he wants to go early someday and DD and I want to meet him at the park, I won't be able to use her ticket for her .

We just explain she can't scan her finger and it has not been an issue. She may be able to use the new scanners, but I'm sure they won't make anyone use it who can't or won't.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:45 AM   #8
KPeveler

DISboards Moderator

I have never been asked to do the finger scanner - I use a wheelchair and they have never even asked me. I really could do it if I tried, but they always just send me through.

Pretty much if you say, "My daughter has a disability (or whatever word you choose) and cannot use the finger scanner" they will generally work with you on it. No one has ever pushed it with me at all.

"Its kind of fun to do the impossible" ~Walt Disney

Married in Disney World 10/26/2009!
KPeveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:12 AM   #9
disney david
DIS Veteran

They now have iPod touches that can swipe you ticket and they use it when busy. But it dose not require a finger scanner I would just tell the cm if your usin the RFID they my have to use the oops scanner. Because I hear they finding they havin problems over riding the the new turn styles. Because the old ones they can enter their number and you can just go through I know for aps their been reports that if their a problem. They have to go to guest services to either get new ticket or the problem fixed. Because they can't over ride them like they use to so until Disney fixes the problem and gives them a way to over ride the system you my have to talk to the cm and see what the best option. It might work out to be better for you to use the iPod touch since their no scanner to have to worry about.

This might be fixed about the time you go or not be an issue when you go I just reporting what I heard.

Bring back Walter on the podcast we miss him
CHIP AND DALE ARE A LIST CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
disney david is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: