Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Disneyland Paris Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 11:22 AM   #1
cherrymarzipan
DIS Veteran

Reluctantly, left the magic yesterday…

We got back late last night after our stay from March 27 to April 01. We had originally decided to leave early in the morning yesterday but seduced by the sunshine we spent the day in the park. We were fortunate in not having a strict time to get back for as we are still in France now. We’ve had some great Disney holidays but from a character interaction point of view this had to be tops. Here are the traditional highs and lows from our adventures:

Highs

The weather, so much better than we had feared. Yes, it was cold, but not freezing and apart from Saturday we had a lot of sunshine. Best of all it was dry.

The Cheyenne – our most recent visits have all been in either the SL or NBC so I thought we might be disappointed with it but it was fine. OK, breakfast ingredients are even more at the “value” end of the range but the organisation was good with minimal queuing or difficulty in finding a table. We had booked a Buffalo room and had a room in Wyatt Earp which was close to the main building but also next to the door opposite the bus dropping off point. It meant we could stay in our room until the bus arrived and then put on our coats and go out to meet it at the pick-up stop. We walked to the parks through the village too a lot of the time which was equally convenient. One actual advantage of the Cheyenne rooms (apart from bunk beds) is that there are bedside tables on both sides of the main bed. Only having one in the SL and NBC really annoys me!

Crowds, or rather, relative lack of. Again from reading recent posts I was worried but we were lucky and must have just missed some European holidays as the crowd levels were not too bad at all and Easter Sunday was perhaps the least busy day.

No ride closures, or none that affected us if there were any.

Loved the new Dreams sections and the show was beautifully clear on the three nights we watched. We watched from the disability area the first night but on the others we just showed up as it started and found reasonable viewing places. The middle night we watched from Winnie the Pooh’s raised area. We had a few distant tree branches to look through but the lasers are better further back I think and as we were all on our own I was able to sing along!

Biggest high though was the fantastic interaction DS got with characters and CMs. We are fortunate to visit fairly regularly and Oliver is very sociable despite having extremely limited speech but it was lovely to see how many characters and CMs recognised and warmly welcomed him. Others we had not met before also picked up on Oliver’s enthusiasm and we had a brilliant time with them all, culminating in this fabulous photo shoot beside the Character Express:

Lows

Have to really struggle here, I can only think of the faintest of disappointments like Main Street station being the only one you could board (although you could get off at any).

I was a little sad that due to the late spring this year we missed the blossom on the trees. I particularly love the pathway down from Fantasyland Station between Mickey’s Theatre and Toad Hall when the trees are in full pink blossom. I also think that the flower bed planting generally was a little uninspired but that may be due to the weather as well.

Anyway, it was really hard to say, “Goodbye Disney” as we walked through the turnstile for the last time and we can’t wait to return (when perhaps, we might not even need our coats).
cherrymarzipan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:28 AM   #2
Isila
There is a big beautiful tomorrow

welcome back

Love your highs, envy about the weather. We liked the Cheyenne too.
Isila is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-02-2013, 01:13 PM   #3
Gertie100
Earning My Ears

How weird is this? We came home early this morning and would have said that I have never been cold in my entire life. To us it was proper bone shaking cold which took us hours to warmup from. Mind you we are really just grateful it didn't rain.
Also we thought Easter Sunday was the busiest day!! Friday for us was the quietest!!
Gertie100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:40 PM   #4
bonhoga
DIS Veteran

Sounds like a great trip! how nice is the Cheyenne? When we stayed at the Sequoia Lodge last year , we found ourselves going back to visit the Cheyenne, we just love it....so much character :]
Glad Oliver had such a good time, hope he enjoyed the characters....sounds like he did!

k x

bonhoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:04 PM   #5
cherrymarzipan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gertie100 View Post
How weird is this? We came home early this morning and would have said that I have never been cold in my entire life. To us it was proper bone shaking cold which took us hours to warmup from. Mind you we are really just grateful it didn't rain.
Also we thought Easter Sunday was the busiest day!! Friday for us was the quietest!!
We are soft southerners too! At home I automatically always choose the sunny side of the street to walk along. Our weather there has just been miserable for months.

I suppose we were just so grateful it wasn't raining in Disneyland. Also I had been prepared for the worst from what everyone had been saying (and we've had some REALLY freezing trips in December, January and February in the past) so we had all the gear and I was pleasantly surprised. To me Saturday was the coldest because the sun never came out. We do keep moving as much as possible and are able to do that thanks to the disability pass. If we start to feel the cold (like after riding BTM!) we head for a nice warm ride like POTC or PM next. I can appreciate that standing for long periods in outdoor queues must drain any warmth gained though.

As to the crowds, again, from what I had been hearing I was expecting capacity, summer-like crowds (which I don't enjoy with DS having mobility and balance difficulties) so again my pessimism meant I was relieved in the event. Actually, thinking back, I think Thursday might have been the quietest but I really was surprised how easily we got about on Sunday thinking it would be horrendous. Driving back (or rather, west towards Brittany) yesterday evening we could see the opposite lanes were packed and crawling along for mile after mile so we thought maybe all the Parisians had headed out for the holiday weekend and that had been why it wasn't (for us) so bad. I also heard here today that the motorway south of Nantes (where we headed for a lot of our journey) was shut due to snow yesterday!

I'm sorry you were uncomfortable with the cold and hope it didn't spoil your enjoyment too much.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:36 PM   #6
Ware Bears

Elvis Fan
Fridge Magnet hoarder

DISboards Moderator

Welcome back great to see so many highs and virtually no lows! Love the photo of your DS with the characters.
WDW Holiday Inn Nikki Bird Easter 2004 DLP Explorers August 2005 DLP Explorers Christmas 2005 DLP Explorers August 2006 WDW Comfort Suites Maingate East/Grand Plaza, St Pete Beach Easter 2007 DLP Explorers Halloween 2007 DLP Explorers August 2008 WDW Comfort Suites Maingate East/Disney Wonder Bahamas/Yacht Club Christmas 2009 New Year 2010 DLP Disneyland Hotel May 2011 DLP Newport Bay Club August 2012 DCL Disney Wonder Alaska DL Candy Cane Inn August 2013
Moderator Disneyland Paris
Ware Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:15 PM   #7
tennisfan
Was told off for sliding down the banister at the SL
South Africa or California for me
Popped to the Boots

DISboards Moderator

Welcome back, pleased you enjoyed your trip. Love the photo of your DS and the characters

Trips:
DLRP - Hotel Cheyenne, October, 1994, DLRP - Hotel New York, October, 1998, DLRP - Hotel New York, June, 1999, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, October, 1999, DLRP - Hotel New York, October, 2000, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, October, 2001, Walt Disney Studios preview, February, 2002, DLRP - Hotel Cheyenne, August, 2002, New York City, Easter 2004, DLRP - Hotel New York, August, 2004, DLRP - Day trip, November, 2004, DLRP - Day trip, September, 2005, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, Easter 2007, DLRP - Kyriad, June 2007 DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, June 2009 DLRP - Day trip, November 2009 New York City, February 2010 DLRP - Disneyland Hotel, June 2010 DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, September 2010 Stratosphere Hotel, Las Vegas, October 2010 DLRP - Day trip, January 2011, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, August 2011, DLRP - Day trip, January 2012, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, June 2012, DLRP - Santa Fe, November 2012,
tennisfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:32 PM   #8
netimka
Mouseketeer

Welcome back, glad to hear you have a fab time...
Old 04-02-2013, 05:59 PM   #9
Jules1212
Mouseketeer

That is a truly fab pic of your son!

Jules1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:16 PM   #10
sky13
Mouseketeer

Sounds like a really nice visit to Disneyland, hope you're having a good time still in France now!

I'm surprised at Easter Sunday being the least busy day, but nice to hear the crowds weren't too bad.

That is also a really nice picture!

Disneyland 1993 1995 2012 : Tokyo Disneyland 1996 : Walt Disney World 2001 : Disneyland Paris 2007 2008 2012 2013 : Hong Kong Disneyland 2010
sky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:24 AM   #11
cherrymarzipan
DIS Veteran

Thanks! Still a bit chilly here in west France (and no nice warm rides to pop into!) but plenty of sunshine which is the main thing.

I have to just add another high - no sudden aversions to particular rides from Oliver . Usually he will have quite random aversions to one or two rides for no obvious reason. For several trips now he has refused Autopia but this time it was one of his favourites. Oliver "steered" and I pushed the throttle and he really thought he was driving and was so proud of himself. He waved to every passing car madly and 99% of people waved cheerily back which made for very friendly rides!. It is a lovely feeling when everyone is happy, smiling and friendly and is what Disney should be all about.

We did encounter some rude people in the park of course but we just ignore them. The most common ill-manners I notice is when I take Oliver to the side in congested areas to allow quicker people through and they just rush past without any acknowledgement. A smile is the same in any language.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:18 AM   #12
JohnnySharp2
No man stands as tall as when he stoops to help a child. Thank god Joshua has a very tall dad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrymarzipan View Post

I have to just add another high - no sudden aversions to particular rides from Oliver . Usually he will have quite random aversions to one or two rides for no obvious reason.
We have seen that a lot with Joshua, especially in what used to be yearly Florida holidays, he would love a ride one year and not be interested at all the next. Not sure if it's connected with his autism.

He also much prefers indoor rides in the dark, getting him on some of the outdoor is not easy.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:47 PM   #13
mamatutu
Earning My Ears

Brilliant picture glad u had a great time.
mamatutu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:49 PM   #14
scampbunny
The most fab of surprises!
doesnt take much to set me off when its about dlrp
It's emma's fault

Same here with cay, taken dislike last trip to most of the rides he loves, hence y we are having a break, to give his aversions a chance to change!!!

Wyatt Earp is fab to stay in, it's where we stayed and made it so much easier for cay at the end of a day!! S glad u had fab highs!!!

Ur pic is lovely, altho, all the pics with Oliver show off his beaming smile, can see y he's so popular!!!

June 2008 - Hotel Cheyenne 3 nights Dec 2008 - Hotel Cheyenne 3 nights April 2009 - Hotel Cheyenne 3 nights
Oct 2010 - Hotel Cheyenne 3 nights June 2012 - Hotel Cheyenne 3 nights Sept 2012 - Day trip!!
Feb 2014 - Hotel Cheyenne 4 nights
scampbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:06 PM   #15
loladelorean
The Disney Pro!!!

Fabulous photo! And just great to hear about all your highs
I was smiling broadly as I read your post above about Autopia - totally agree that everyone around you being happy and friendly is what really makes the Disney experience magical

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: