Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 07:14 PM   #16
ajasmom
Mouseketeer

Walking to Springs and DTD

We stayed in Congress park in January it was about 15 minute walk to either Springs or DTD via walking path along the water. FYI we were a group of adults so if you have small children it may take a bit longer. We found the walk is very relaxing and you get the opportunity to take in the sights of the resort. Cant wait for up coming trip in Dec.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1452684

SSR 1/2013, 12/2013
Caribbean Beach 11/2007; 12/2010
Contemporary 12/2004
ajasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:41 PM   #17
butterfly71076
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffdo View Post
I never even thought of that! Thanks for the advice :-)
No problem at all! Hope you have a wonderful time!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-02-2013, 11:12 PM   #18
gretchenohar@hotmail

DIS Veteran

We're a family of 5 and will be staying at SSR the last week of June.
I'm a little concerned about getting around as we won't have a car.

I've heard that "Springs" is a nice section for proximity to check in, restaurants, etc. I've also heard that it's the last stop on the bus route & that the buses might be "standing room only" during busy times of year by the time they reach this particular section.
Could anyone tell me if it's plausible to walk over to the Grandstand section to catch a bus into the parks during busy times of the day/year? I can't exactly visualize how close/far each section is in relation to the others from the maps I've seen with regards to walking distance. I'm considering requesting Springs for proximity; or the Grandstand for bus availability. (I know our request will only be granted based on availability.) Another choice would be The Paddock for the pool (kids aged 7 & 11), tho I'm concerned we could be situated a great distance from same...

I also wonder about getting bkfst for the kids in the AM... I understand there is no rm. service. How long/far is the walk to pick up bkfst at Artist's Palette then back to a room at say Grandstand or Congress Park? Guaging from the map that doesn't seem a viable possiblilty at the other sections of the resort. Is that correct?

I've been told there is pizza delivery from outside vendors. Are there any options for food delivery within the resort? We'll be on the dining plan, so would prefer not to have to pay out of pocket for meals, but I'm sure there will be times when we're dead dog tired yet the kids have to eat...

Any comments, suggestions, etc will be greatly appreciated since we've never been to SSR and need all the help we can get in planning.

One more question: I've tried to reserve a table at the Turf Club for dinner for a night or two while we're there, but the WDW website shows no availability at times that are convenient for the kids to eat on a few of the days. Is it usually possible to just walk up & request a table for 5? I'm not sure tables are unavailable because it's such a large resort & the TC is the only TS restaurant, if it's due to being totally booked, or if it's "just because" and we might stand a chance...

Thank you for taking the time to read this rather long post & responding.
gretchenohar@hotmail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:05 AM   #19
OklahomaTourist
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretchenohar@hotmail View Post

I've heard that "Springs" is a nice section for proximity to check in, restaurants, etc. I've also heard that it's the last stop on the bus route & that the buses might be "standing room only" during busy times of year by the time they reach this particular section.
Could anyone tell me if it's plausible to walk over to the Grandstand section to catch a bus into the parks during busy times of the day/year? I can't exactly visualize how close/far each section is in relation to the others from the maps I've seen with regards to walking distance. I'm considering requesting Springs for proximity; or the Grandstand for bus availability. (I know our request will only be granted based on availability.) Another choice would be The Paddock for the pool (kids aged 7 & 11), tho I'm concerned we could be situated a great distance from same...

I also wonder about getting bkfst for the kids in the AM... I understand there is no rm. service. How long/far is the walk to pick up bkfst at Artist's Palette then back to a room at say Grandstand or Congress Park? Guaging from the map that doesn't seem a viable possiblilty at the other sections of the resort. Is that correct?

I've been told there is pizza delivery from outside vendors. Are there any options for food delivery within the resort? We'll be on the dining plan, so would prefer not to have to pay out of pocket for meals, but I'm sure there will be times when we're dead dog tired yet the kids have to eat...

Any comments, suggestions, etc will be greatly appreciated since we've never been to SSR and need all the help we can get in planning.

One more question: I've tried to reserve a table at the Turf Club for dinner for a night or two while we're there, but the WDW website shows no availability at times that are convenient for the kids to eat on a few of the days. Is it usually possible to just walk up & request a table for 5? I'm not sure tables are unavailable because it's such a large resort & the TC is the only TS restaurant, if it's due to being totally booked, or if it's "just because" and we might stand a chance...

I may be mistaken on specifics, but I believe SSR is one of the largest resort areas in all of WDW. It's huge. The walking distance from the Paddock to the Artist's Palette is likely exceeded only by the distance from the Carousel. Our first stay at SSR was in the Paddock, and walking to the main lobby was a hike, on top of the fact my mom had a broken foot and was at times in need of a wheel chair I chauffeured for her (gasp, wheeze ). Unless you're staying in the Springs, I don't know that I would rely on the ability to walk to Artist's Palette and back to pick up breakfast and not end up finding it cold on your return - unless you're just picking up cold cereals or things like that. When we go to breakfast at AP, we just eat there.

I, personally, wouldn't want to make a practice of walking from the Springs over to the Grandstand every day just for a shot at early seat choice on the buses. In our three visits to SSR, we have, at times found the buses a little full, but I can't recall there ever being a time where we could not board a bus because it was maxed out. The Springs bus stop is right across from the Carriage House, and one year we were assigned a room (oops, villa) in the first building that was ridiculously convenient/close to that bus stop. It was almost like cheating For me, I would favor locating at the Springs and taking my chances with bus capacity. The flip side would be to reside somewhere at, say, the Carousel, and discovering a late-night need to go to Artists Palette (which also doubles as a convenience store) or the check-in desk to resolve some issue, but that walk wouldn't be very appealing.

Other folks might disagree with some or all of what I've posted here, but that's my experience. We hope to be assigned to the Springs, and perhaps secondarily to Congress Park with its proximity to Downtown Disney. The Paddock area is nice, but it and the Carousel are the most remote from the Carriage House, and thus somewhat less preferable in my book.

I hope that helps. We have thoroughly enjoyed SSR, think its a seriously underappreciated venue at WDW. Looking forward to a return trip this summer!

Have a great time!

You don't mention what kind of room you're considering, but if you can snag it, a room with a kitchen would allow you the option of making light breakfasts in the room. That's what we do, and also a big reason we don't do DDP.

In the three times we've visited SSR, I've not known of any Disney-based food service delivery.

I can't offer any advice on the Turf Club, as we've never eaten there.
OklahomaTourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:12 AM   #20
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
SSR doesn't have suites; it has villas. SSR is a 100% Disney Vacation Club timeshare resort, similar to Old Key West. Suites are different from villas since suites usually indicate a concierge level room at deluxe resorts.

SSR is a great place to go for a morning walk, especially if you just want to take a break from the parks. Plus it has three themed pools; one a the Springs, one at the Grandstand and one at the Paddock. The pool at Congress Park is not themed, but is a very nice pool (almost a little more adult, but never expect it to be kid free).

I've never had any problems with the buses from SSR to the theme parks. And you can just walk over to DTD or you can even take a boat over to DTD.
Well in March, I waited 45 minutes TWICE for a bus to the studios and I timed the MK bus at 33 minutes the second time I was there. I was there visiting my daughter. I know others were saying they always rent a car when staying there because the bus service is so slow there. I must say I have to agree!!! I don't want to have to rent a car at Disney and this is another reason why I hesitate to buy into DVC. I have found that their bus service to those resorts isn't as good as it is to the hotels. Sorry, but that is My Opinion and My Experience.

Oh, and if you are staying in the Congress Park section of SSR anytime soon, you may luck out and run into somebody special to WDW...George K.
That's his temporary home right now!

Quote:

SSR is freakin' HUGE!!! My DD is working there right now and I rode from just one section to another in a golf cart! It's pretty far! I wouldn't want to have to walk that more than once! UGH!! I must say that I think the bus service is very slow and lacking tremendously! Now the buses I were on were almost always empty, but they took FOREVER to come!! sigh.... I felt like I wasted SO much time waiting for buses there. It's a beautiful resort but after visiting DD there, and experiencing the bus service and the size of the resort, I have absolutely NO desire to stay there! LOL! Not my cup of tea at all!!! And I think it would be a big hike to walk from one of the bus stops to the other and if it is that busy then you still could possibly not get a seat? I wouldn't want to walk that far. You could be between bus stops when the bus comes and that would suck royally!! I think if you are definitely going to stay there, I would go with the Springs to be closer to the pool and food court. I'm glad you have the DDP. My sandwich was $13.!! It was a lobster salad sandwich and while it was good, I was a bit disappointed in how skimpy they were with the lobster filling. SMH The homemade potato chips are tasty though. But overall, I think the Artist Palette is pricier than many other food court style eateries on property and isn't really any better. Again, JMHO... sorry I'm not giving you rave reviews, but just sharing how I honestly feel about the place. Hope you have a great trip though!!
stitchlovestink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:13 PM   #21
gretchenohar@hotmail

DIS Veteran

Thank you OklahomaTourist & Stitchlovestink.
We pretty much have no choice other than to stay at SSR - that's the only resort with availability for our dates. I'm sure we can make the best of it - it's Disney, after all...
Looks like we'll request Springs based on your advice and see how we do.
Thanks again for giving us the scoop.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:30 PM   #22
meggiebeth
Have faith in your dreams and someday your rainbow will come smiling through...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretchenohar@hotmail
Thank you OklahomaTourist & Stitchlovestink.
We pretty much have no choice other than to stay at SSR - that's the only resort with availability for our dates. I'm sure we can make the best of it - it's Disney, after all...
Looks like we'll request Springs based on your advice and see how we do.
Thanks again for giving us the scoop.
SSR is one of our favourite resorts so I'm sure you'll love it! I too would recommend the springs as it is close to the main pool and restaurants. Worth trying for breakfast if you have time is the CS grill at the Paddock pool. They serve great breakfast platters... Nothing beats breakfast by the pool! Also don't forget downtown Disney is only a 15 minute walk from the Springs section- with bountiful breakfast options!

Btw the rooms have also been refurbished recently- they look lovely. Not sure if all the villas are completed but that's another great reason to stay at SSR!

Meg~ Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

$5 A Day Means Disney MY Way! An October TR
~Our 18 day trip to Walt Disney World. Deluxe Dining Plan, Keys to the Kingdom Tour,
MNSSHP, Epcot Food & Wine Festival and MVMCP all in one trip!~

meggiebeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:45 PM   #23
gretchenohar@hotmail

DIS Veteran

Thank you, Meg.
Looks like "Springs" gets all the votes!
Love the suggestion re: bkfst at the Paddock Pool - that one goes on our list too.
Thanks!
Old 04-03-2013, 07:19 PM   #24
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by OklahomaTourist View Post
...You don't mention what kind of room you're considering, but if you can snag it, a room with a kitchen would allow you the option of making light breakfasts in the room. That's what we do, and also a big reason we don't do DDP.

In the three times we've visited SSR, I've not known of any Disney-based food service delivery. ....
No need to try to "snag a room with a kitchen". All the villas at SSR have some sort of kitchen facility. One bedroom and larger have full kitchens (oven, burners, microwave, toaster, dishwasher, full sized refrigerator, dishes, pots and pans, flatware, other utensils). Studios have a kitchenette with a microwave, toaster, undercounter refrigerator with small freezer section, disposable dishes, a few real mugs and glasses. SSR is a timeshare resort of DVC. So it is expected that most guests will use these facilities during their stay. That's why the DVC resorts don't have huge food courts like Value resorts.

Both OKW and SSR do have pizza delivery from Disney. Or you can ask at the front desk (don't call, ask in person, when you call you get the call center that could be in Topeka, KS, Tampa, FL or who knows where). You can also get groceries delivered by Disney or offsite services. You just need to order them ahead of time.

Now if it is pouring down cats and dogs, SSR could be a problem. But otherwise, it's not much different that the GF, Polynesian, any of the moderates or value resorts in walking from your building to the main building.

But if you like a hotel feel, SSR and OKW aren't the place for you. And, in that case, GF and the Polynesian shouldn't be either.

SSR is a very nice resort. It's just not a hotel.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:19 PM   #25
gretchenohar@hotmail

DIS Veteran

Thank you Deb & Bill. I wasn't aware SSR has Disney pizza delivery. That's good to know.
Looking forward to our June visit.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:30 PM   #26
Mickey Fliers
(Not so)Tagless
"Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. And sometimes, it rains"
Don't hate me for the love of the boy band

Location: Until the Navy says otherwise: Yokosuka, Kanagawa, Japan

Um...I am going to disagree with a few other posters. We have stayed at SSR at least 5 times and I don't think any of the walks are that bad AT ALL.

From Paddock to the High Rock Springs (main pool)? .20 miles
Farthest building in Congress Park to Carriage House? .41 miles
Farthest building in Carousel to High Rock Springs? .36 miles
Farthest building in Carousel to farthest building in Congress Park? .73 miles

None of these are a hike. If you were in Paddock, it shouldn't take any able bodied person more than 5 min. to get to High Rock Springs. It shouldn't take more than 8 to get from Congress Park.

Do not be intimidated by the size. It looks worse than it is. Really, is easily doable and very manageable.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:03 PM   #27
mom of princessx2
DIS Veteran

I too will chime in and say it is very manageable to walk around. We actually prefer the Grandstand area for several reasons. The bus stop is first on and first off, great golf course views, nice quiet pool with bar and refill station. Walk from that area to Carriage House/high rock pool is about 5-7 minutes and is a pretty easy walk to DTD or you can take the boat. My girls were 5 and 7 and my in-laws were 76 and 82 the last time we stayed and the walk was fine for all of us.

ME DH DD9 DD6
mom of princessx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:51 PM   #28
Sammie
DIS Veteran

Asking about whether the walk it bad is like asking about the comfort of the beds, it's all relevant to who is giving the opinion.

We don't find the distance at SSR bad at all and I am certainly not a marathon runner or anything.

And we have brought food back to the room many times at breakfast and it was never cold. They cover the plates and if for some reason you want it hotter, simply warm it in the microwave.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:48 AM   #29
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:

You will have some type of 'kitchen' in your villa. Studios have a small fridge, micro, toaster and coffee pot, with a small bar sink. One and two bedroom villas have full kitchens, right down to a dishwasher and washer/dryer!!
You can order food from an online grocery shop (wegoshop.com or gardengrocer.com) and then have food in the villa for snacks or breakfasts.
I stayed in Grandstand in Dec. It took a bit under 10 mins to get to the Springs area and the main buildings. It can be hard to find those shortcuts since they tend to be hidden!! I wandered in circles for 45 mins my first night there!!! I had checked in around noon, but didn't have time to go to my villa. So, the first time I needed to use the room key was that night, around 9:30. It didn't work....so I had to get back to the main bldg. Oh dear God!!! I was clueless. Just wandered around, always ending up where I started!!! I finally got on a bus and got off at Springs. They got me a new room key, I asked for directions back to Grandstand. They told me not a problem.....they had a CM take me there in a golf cart so he could be sure the key worked! Thank heaven. The next day I ambled around and found out how to get back to Springs, on foot!!!
I may well be there again in Dec!! I may ask for Congress Park or Springs this time.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:19 PM   #30
gretchenohar@hotmail

DIS Veteran

This cracked me up! Sounds like something I would do:

the first time I needed to use the room key was that night, around 9:30. It didn't work....so I had to get back to the main bldg. Oh dear God!!! I was clueless. Just wandered around, always ending up where I started!!! I finally got on a bus and got off at Springs. They got me a new room key, I asked for directions back to Grandstand. They told me not a problem.....they had a CM take me there in a golf cart so he could be sure the key worked! Thank heaven. The next day I ambled around and found out how to get back to Springs, on foot!!!

Thank you all for taking the time to answer my questions and give advice about SSR. I'm really looking forward to everything it has to offer - thanks to you guys.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: